luca

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try Witcher 3?
I played it 2-3 hours two to three times yes. Could never get into it. I will try once more after the show. I am on the final episode now. I'll give the first book another try as well. Cause the world building has really clicked with me on the show although I think it could have been better executed and told and not so rushed. I much rather get into the books cause often times gameplay is such a waste to me.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I played it 2-3 hours two to three times yes. Could never get into it. I will try once more after the show. I am on the final episode now. I'll give the first book another try as well. Cause the world building has really clicked with me on the show although I think it could have been better executed and told and not so rushed. I much rather get into the books cause often times gameplay is such a waste to me.

As somebody who is currently reading the books, I highly recommend them if you like the show. I've already finished the first short story collection and am about to finish the second, The Sword of Destiny. The writing is excellent and well translated. Looking forward to starting the saga proper with the next book.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who is currently reading the books, I highly recommend them if you like the show. I've already finished the first short story collection and am about to finish the second, The Sword of Destiny. The writing is excellent and well translated. Looking forward to starting the saga proper with the next book.
Yes. I just finished the last episode. Show was bad to mediocre. I've tried reading The Last Wish two to three times and couldn't get into it. But I'm gonna pick it up now again and see how it goes.

I'm cheering on Nilfgaard by the way. Mostly cause I don't want the story to be good vs evil and I prefer my greys in the stories I get invested in, so I'm hoping Nilfgaard's plan to conquer the land is for the greater good in their optics like the show alludes to sometimes. But honestly deep down I know this is a good vs evil scenario.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Yes. I just finished the last episode. Show was bad to mediocre. I've tried reading The Last Wish two to three times and couldn't get into it. But I'm gonna pick it up now again and see how it goes.

I'm cheering on Nilfgaard by the way. Mostly cause I don't want the story to be good vs evil and I prefer my greys in the stories I get invested in, so I'm hoping Nilfgaard's plan to conquer the land is for the greater good in their optics like the show alludes to sometimes. But honestly deep down I know this is a good vs evil scenario.

I haven't gotten to Nilfgaard starting shit yet, but based on the writing and based on what I know from the games, I'll be surprised if the depiction isn't more grey than black and white.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Neither the books or the games were good vs evil stories.

The stories are very much operating under the assumption that everyone is just following their own agenda and that the world is shit for Geralt no matter who wins.

Even the humans vs non humans conflict Geralt doesn't like partaking in, usually only slaying monsters that have killed people and often siding with them if they haven't.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

Nah, "everything is grey" is basically the series' motto, at least in the books and games. As I said on the last page, there are actually a few very valid reasons to cheer for Nilfgaard vs. Northern Realms, as none of them are good guys.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If there's one takeaway from The Witcher universe is that Geralt is a moron and everyone is a damn asshole. So no good vs evil anywhere. Everyone is both and neither.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
34664102-8863981-image-a-28_1603290194247.jpg

34664108-8863981-Filming_Anya_who_plays_Yennefer_of_Vengerberg_enjoyed_a_giggle_o-m-21_1603292570668.jpg
34664100-8863981-Medieval_Anya_looked_sensational_donning_an_impressive_black_gow-m-22_1603292590876.jpg

34664104-8863981-Out_of_time_Anya_Chalotra_did_not_quite_match_her_13th_century_d-m-20_1603292327391.jpg

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one takeaway from The Witcher universe is that Geralt is a moron and everyone is a damn asshole. So no good vs evil anywhere. Everyone is both and neither.

Geralt is a moron and the it is because the fault on his logic (and author's) that since there is no lesser evil he won't chose one option, but not choosing is a choice too and has consequences and it is "evil" too.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Geralt is a moron and the it is because the fault on his logic (and author's) that since there is no lesser evil he won't chose one option, but not choosing is a choice too and has consequences and it is "evil" too.
That's literally the point of the books though so I wouldn't know how much it's the author's fault. Geralt always inevitably chooses and does "the good thing." The books are trying to frame the trolley problem and you could argue that there is no absolute morally right or wrong, but if the other option is "everyone dies" you will go with something eventually and Geralt being the big softy that he is always does.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

The author's logic is fine. Geralt choosing to be an enlightened centrist is the problem.

The implication is that he made the wrong decision in Blaviken. The show pretty much screams that.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Here's another picture:

Ra_fjgW5gp8.jpg

I have a high level of hope for Ciri in this second season. Can't wait to see the scenes at Kaer Morhen.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I finally started this show last night.

Watched two episodes and I think it's not bad so far. Feels like The Witcher 3

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the Nilf armor is muuuuuuuch better. The unprotected legs is a bit dumb but compared to the old one, can't really complain. (of and capes, capes will forever be stupid on an armor)

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also possible he didn't need to wear a full suit of armor for this scene if it's all upper body. Hopefully!

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thank god, the new Nilfgaardian armor is so much better.

(I accidentally typed 'Milfgaardian', and I'm both disappointed and amused.)

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, Nilfgaardian armor looks way better even though still too "high fantasy" for my liking.. and I don't care for Cahir in the show - they already butchered his character there and he is nothing like he was in the books.. the show in the first season was "ok", but nothing what they changed from the books was better or even on the same level and in most parts what they adapted from the books, they cut many important scenes and dialogs from the books and the show suffered from the "cut to pieces" adaptations of the short stories
Not holding my breath for the next season - where it seems they are going to change even more things from the books - but I'm definitely curious as a massive Witcher fan (books or games)

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Spoils regarding a change to a certain character.

--------------------------------

By the way, for the people who may have grown to care about Sapkowski's output in one way or the other, there's a new book of his out on eng market. Tower of Fools is the first of the trilogy, originally released in 2002. It's historical fantasy, (with emphasis on historical) taking place against the backdrop of Hussite Wars in Silesia and its environs.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Ballsack armour is FINALLY dead
It wouldn't surprise me if the original armor was just much cheaper to make and they weren't sure how well the series was going to do. Now that the series has done as well as it has Netflix was probably willing to give them a little bit more of a budget when it came to secondary props like that

Oct 27, 2017
sometimes it just comes down to timing as well. getting armor that fits/looks well and is light enough for long filming days can't be an easy task, especially when its non-historical, bespoke, fantasy armor on a tv budget/schedule. i'd bet that ballsack armor was more a compromise than a creative decision

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Good observation on Reddit on dealing with crowd shots:

rHl55qB.png

I'm always looking out for stuff like this on returning shows. I don't think my Mom appreciates me pointing out that in the soap she's watching everyone is standing a couch length apart at all times, and anytime someone is next to a hospital bed talking to the patient, they don't show that patient in the shot cause the actor isn't there. Saw one Doctor once touch a patient's leg which was clearly a mannequin.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Check out that new Nilfgaard armor: https://redanianintelligence.com/20...rdian-armour-in-the-witcher-finally-revealed/

IMG_0936_1-watermarked-1.jpg

Looks like his feathers got a much needed upgrade, too?
I still can't believe they actually did this

oEU2NrF.jpg

Too bad it doesn't have anything in common with what Nilfgaardian (and epecially Cahir's) armor is supposed to look like, but as long as you ignore everything about it, it's pretty much perfect.
Did the books ever go into much detail beyond the helmet? At least there are some feathers in the leaked image

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
It wouldn't surprise me if the original armor was just much cheaper to make and they weren't sure how well the series was going to do. Now that the series has done as well as it has Netflix was probably willing to give them a little bit more of a budget when it came to secondary props like that

Then why had all the other armies normal, historic inspired armors but only Nilfgaard had that awful looking one? Nah man, that armor was a creative decision

Last edited:

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They why had all the other armies normal, historic inspired armors but only Nilfgaard had that awful looking one? Nah man, that armor was a creative decision
Yeah this is the thing makes no sense to blame on budget. That shittyass CGI dragon? Budget, sure. Ballsack armour? Someone get their niece to design them or something

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Did the books ever go into much detail beyond the helmet? At least there are some feathers in the leaked image
Not really, the descriptions were pretty simple, usually focusing on the color scheme which the show appears to have ditched completely for some reason.
Nilfgaardian armor was black with silver ornaments or just black. Cahir's specifically was described as if he was being set up to be some kind of Medieval Darth Vader.

The old helmet did have feathers, what it lacked is the wings and I don't think that's changing. You're supposed to be able to recognize him by his helmet, so it's a little late to change that part.

R1j7Xf2.png

(what an absolute dork)

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, "everything is grey" is basically the series' motto, at least in the books and games. As I said on the last page, there are actually a few very valid reasons to cheer for Nilfgaard vs. Northern Realms, as none of them are good guys.
Nah, not so much "everything is grey", more "everything is its own kind of shit". People like Emhyr or Vilgefortz (and also the other villains of the books) aren't "grey", they are straight up evil.

There are of course more grey characters, like the Lodge of Sorceresses (though the series has already done its best to muddy that, with making Fringilla just some evil witch) and some of the Northern Kings, but the villains of the books are pure evil.

I do agree that it's not good vs. evil, but that's not because everything is shades of grey. More because there isn't really a "good" person in the entire series.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
this show is one of those "I recognise this is mediocre at best but I still love it for reasons unknown even to me" types and I'm okay with that. though if s2 wants to be actually great that would be cool too

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Nah, not so much "everything is grey", more "everything is its own kind of shit". People like Emhyr or Vilgefortz (and also the other villains of the books) aren't "grey", they are straight up evil.

There are of course more grey characters, like the Lodge of Sorceresses (though the series has already done its best to muddy that, with making Fringilla just some evil witch) and some of the Northern Kings, but the villains of the books are pure evil.

I do agree that it's not good vs. evil, but that's not because everything is shades of grey. More because there isn't really a "good" person in the entire series.
Yeah this is better worded than what I was trying to say, agree. Most people don't have no redeemable qualities about them whatsoever, so it comes down to choosing between "the lesser evil."

Although, between the Northern Realms and Nilfgaard, I dunno what I'd choose.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this show is one of those "I recognise this is mediocre at best but I still love it for reasons unknown even to me" types and I'm okay with that. though if s2 wants to be actually great that would be cool too
I think it only works because it nails the characters and their interactions. The actors feel like they are taking their roles seriously (we know how much Cavill loves playing Geralt) and really elevate the show.

Plus, I genuinely think there are a lot of fantastic performances and some great writing. Not ALL of the writing is great, but there are some fantastic moments in every episode, I think.

For example, Episode 1 is one of the messiest in the series, but worked for me because of Renfri's performance and her dynamic with Geralt.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
deadline.com

Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’ Halts Production Following Multiple Positive COVID Tests

The hit fantasy epic starring Henry Cavill has paused production in the UK for the second time.

The four positive cases are from today, we have confirmed, and Netflix will carry out an isolated round of testing of everyone involved in the show. Those impacted have been isolated and are not among lead cast, we hear.

Filming at Arborfield Studios, west of London, is due to resume once the streamer is confident that the set is fully safe.