• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
New video for Gasoline:
www.youtube.com

The Weeknd - Gasoline (Official Music Video)

Official music video for The Weeknd “Gasoline”. Available now, on ‘Dawn FM’: http://theweeknd.co/dawnfm►Subscribe to The Weeknd on YouTube: http://theweeknd....

I think the first two videos have covered all the footage previously shown in the teaser clips. There are also new lyric videos, which I guess is their way of replacing liner notes. Pitchfork posted production credits a while back.

On listening to the album a few more times, I agree with the sentiment that it falls off after Out of Time, and doesn't really recover until Less Than Zero. Part of this is because they front loaded the album with higher energy tracks, which are nowhere to be seen after Sacrifice. The other part is that there's a weird samey consistency to the album that's like Prozac, where the highs aren't as high, and the lows aren't as low. It's easy to listen to, and there's nothing that's flat out terrible, but much less of it sticks. After Hours basically did the reverse, in that it had much better singles, and the best tracks were all crammed into the back half of the album.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
www.esquire.com

The Weeknd's 'Dawn FM' Is 2022's Album to Beat

The narrative construction is impressive enough; the fact that it’s matched by a similar musical progression is downright masterful.

"The Weeknd's Prince moment."

pitchfork.com

The Weeknd: Dawn FM

Read Dani Blum’s review of the album.

"the most thoughtful, melodic, and revealing project of his career."

www.rollingstone.com

The Weeknd Hits a New Peak on 'Dawn FM'

Review: The Weeknd's 'Dawn FM'

4/5

variety.com

The Weeknd Doubles Down on the ‘80s and Even Michael Jackson on the Upbeat ‘Dawn FM’: Album Review

With 'Dawn FM,' the Weeknd has made the most upbeat album of his career, a solid progression with splashes of new wave and Michael Jackson.

"possibly the Weeknd's best and most fully realized album to date"

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of these reviewers like the album more than I do. Don't get me wrong it's really good, but it doesn't top After Hours for me.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Listened through this album twice and I'm not really a fan overall.

Theres a cool vibe to it and shout out to weeknd for trying something different with his sound.

But honestly outside of my dear melancholy, not been a fan of anything since kissland.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.....this Weeknd roll out is something else.....
dropped the album, then dropped lyric videos, then dropped another single video, then dropped ANOTHER single video, then dropped videos for remixes of the singles...

Abel going hard.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I've been listening to this and overall enjoy it. The concept is unique and I think the sound matches the overall vibe of the album. It is more of a chill album that you vibe to than After Hours which was full of hits. Gasoline may be my favorite track on the album but 'Take My Breath' feels like an After Hours reject.

I've always generally enjoyed The Weeknd first hearing them on 'Earned It' but following some of their releases after that. I liked The Hills a lot but wasnt feeling 'Starboy'(the single) or 'I Feel It Comin'. After Hours was the first album I listened to by them and was blown away by the whole thing. Dawn FM is a solid followup to After Hours offering a much different experience. While After Hours has a lot of solid single tracks. Dawn FM is a solid album experience that plays best listening to the whole album. I'm curious and excited as to what direction the third one goes in. At some point I may have to go through and listen to his other albums.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn I can't stop listening to Out of Time and Best Friends. The city pop in these tracks is just so good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah full on techno remixes are trash.

original.gif

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
This had a "radio but in purgatory" vibe that made me reminisce about P.T. Every time Jim Carrey comes on as the DJ and says, "Don't touch that dial".

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
First listen done for me, there's three tracks I like.

It's way too long, the pacing is awful and every track has the same general sound and tempo, nothing pops, it's like one of those lofi hip hop for studying streams, a Weeknd album designed to send you to sleep. Meh.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow but I really think it's too one note to grow on me that much.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Oh damn!!! I didn't know this was an OT.

I feel really lucky that I got to go to The Weeknd's haunted house in Halloween Horror Nights last year. Easily was the best house IMO

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn!!! I didn't know this was an OT.

I feel really lucky that I got to go to The Weeknd's haunted house in Halloween Horror Nights last year. Easily was the best house IMO
yeah I created this years ago. being the stan/fanboy that I am, I believed he deserved his own OT. the OP is a bit outdated now with Dawn FM missing.

Last year was my first time going to any haunted house, I didn't know Abel had his own! but it makes sense being that fall has always been his favorite season.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been mostly a casual fan for a while…I really enjoy his songs but have not listened to his full albums.

Not gonna lie though either but him being the main focus of Fortnite Festival got me to check out his stuff a bit more in depth and it's incredible…mainly listening to After Hours but I will need to check out his older stuff as well.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like he's been pretty quiet after The Idol. Have I been missing out lately or has he put himself into exile after that?

Show was for a lack of better words, not a great show but still interesting in its own right? Music was great throughout I felt.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hate Future, didn't even bother listening to the end of this one. Hoping Weeknd has a new album soon. Dawn FM is over 2 years old now.... but I guess he did put out a decent amount of music for the Idol

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That is literally the Command Center from Power Rangers.
OMG you're right! I had to look into this after you said it but that is where they filmed this lmao
Man I hate Future, didn't even bother listening to the end of this one. Hoping Weeknd has a new album soon. Dawn FM is over 2 years old now.... but I guess he did put out a decent amount of music for the Idol
yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you about Future. I thought his verse on Double Fantasy was okay, but other than that, I just cannot get into this man's music.

and that's actually part of the reason why I am bumping this thread: the collaborative album, We Still Don't Trust you. anyone give it a listen? I've only really been digging All to Myself so far and it's only because of Abel's presence on it. not digging Future's verses at all.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5z-stFOaTp/

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
OMG you're right! I had to look into this after you said it but that is where they filmed this lmao

yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you about Future. I thought his verse on Double Fantasy was okay, but other than that, I just cannot get into this man's music.

and that's actually part of the reason why I am bumping this thread: the collaborative album, We Still Don't Trust you. anyone give it a listen? I've only really been digging All to Myself so far and it's only because of Abel's presence on it. not digging Future's verses at all.

Yeah, Double Fantasy is great. I thought most of the music from The Idol was pretty good and I didn't hate the show quite as much as everyone else... even if I still think it was pretty bizarre overall.

We still don't trust you is a great track off the new album, haven't really listened to the rest yet.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
Weekends verse on Always Be My Fault is so good, need an album full of those vibes. Futures horrible delivery ruins the vibe but thankfully I have a Weeknd only version.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022

I don't mind some of futures music he for sure has some bangers but man whenever I see Weeknd collab with him it's so weird, he's a much worse artist than him in every single manner. The collabs just don't make sense to me because Weeknd is so far ahead the songs almost feel like mash ups.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Double Fantasy is great. I thought most of the music from The Idol was pretty good and I didn't hate the show quite as much as everyone else... even if I still think it was pretty bizarre overall.

We still don't trust you is a great track off the new album, haven't really listened to the rest yet.
hmm, would you say that you actually were a fan of the show? I'm not gonna say I hated it, but I think it was bad and just didn't enjoy it. bizarre is putting it nicely.

I didn't like We still don't trust you very much, to be honest now that I gave the tracks a few listens I feel like I just cannot get into them. Young Metro is a fabulous producer, but his duet album with Future just ain't doing it for me.
Weekends verse on Always Be My Fault is so good, need an album full of those vibes. Futures horrible delivery ruins the vibe but thankfully I have a Weeknd only version.
the first time I heard it, I wasn't really feeling it. I know I have to listen to it but with all the rest of the tracks I honestly didn't like any of them that much, and even on repeated listens not All to Myself either. how did you get a Weeknd only version?
I don't mind some of futures music he for sure has some bangers but man whenever I see Weeknd collab with him it's so weird, he's a much worse artist than him in every single manner. The collabs just don't make sense to me because Weeknd is so far ahead the songs almost feel like mash ups.
I honestly do not get it either. he is a long time collaborator with Future, yet has two songs with Kendrick Lamar and one with Eminem. there are probably a few other high profile rappers he's worked with but those two are the first that come to mind. I remember one time Lupe Fiasco used a clip of his beat for King of the Fall for a mixtape track. I wonder what an actual collaboration between the two of them would be like.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7m5l6H4Gk&ab_channel=IAmHip-Hop
I'm in my 30s and only just realized that the Command Center exterior was a real place when seeing this music video.
I am also in my 30s (I guess we are both millennials) and I didn't even think about that Command Center for the last 20ish years honestly. I wonder if that's why they chose it or if it just fit well with the vibe of the music video that they were going for

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
hmm, would you say that you actually were a fan of the show? I'm not gonna say I hated it, but I think it was bad and just didn't enjoy it. bizarre is putting it nicely.

I didn't like We still don't trust you very much, to be honest now that I gave the tracks a few listens I feel like I just cannot get into them. Young Metro is a fabulous producer, but his duet album with Future just ain't doing it for me.

the first time I heard it, I wasn't really feeling it. I know I have to listen to it but with all the rest of the tracks I honestly didn't like any of them that much, and even on repeated listens not All to Myself either. how did you get a Weeknd only version?

I honestly do not get it either. he is a long time collaborator with Future, yet has two songs with Kendrick Lamar and one with Eminem. there are probably a few other high profile rappers he's worked with but those two are the first that come to mind. I remember one time Lupe Fiasco used a clip of his beat for King of the Fall for a mixtape track. I wonder what an actual collaboration between the two of them would be like.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7m5l6H4Gk&ab_channel=IAmHip-Hop

I am also in my 30s (I guess we are both millennials) and I didn't even think about that Command Center for the last 20ish years honestly. I wonder if that's why they chose it or if it just fit well with the vibe of the music video that they were going for

On one hand, I thought Jocelynes story and what they were showing with her was great, especially with the first episode or 2,when The Weeknd wasn't on screen it was a whole different show I'd give an 8 or 9 out of 10 with some interesting ideas and exploration into the music industry. But like her life he hijacks the show and takes it over in such a crazy and unrealistic way.

The show is captivating in a "what the fuck is wrong with this dude and what the fuck is this woman doing" and you do watch it almost as if you are watching a train wreck upend her life. Did it keep my interest for the full 5 hours and keep me wanting to know what was going to happen next? Yeah. Did I enjoy the music in it? Yeah. Was it unlike something I had seen before? Yeah. Was the story unrealistic, creepy and uncomfortable? Yeah. Was I bored and do I regret spending 5 hours watching it? No.

The subject matter is obviously twisted and I think it's kind of concerning The Weeknd thought "yeah people really want to see the most toxic form of what I talk about in my music shown on screen with me manipulating and abusing this woman". And maybe more concerning is that he finds enjoyment and thinks people enjoy that.

The end of him and her using fake rape accusations to manipulate the fanbase and stuff is obviously socially tone deaf, especially using Lily Rose Depp of all people to do so.... I don't know what the messaging of that was supposed to be but I also don't find that it makes the show bad it had that sort of plotline, although I understand why it skeeved people out.

It was almost like a SAW movie but of exploitation and abuse and manipulation.

But again at the end of the day, it kept my interest for 5 hours and 5 hours to commit to a show IMO is not a big deal and I do tell people if they like the weekend and the subject matter doesn't bother them, or they just want to see a fascinating show that does so much right and so much wrong they should watch it. There are far worse things I've invested 5 hours into. Like Book of Boba Fett, Moon Knight, and other things that bored me to death. I don't think anyone would watch the Idol and say it was boring.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, I thought Jocelynes story and what they were showing with her was great, especially with the first episode or 2,when The Weeknd wasn't on screen it was a whole different show I'd give an 8 or 9 out of 10 with some interesting ideas and exploration into the music industry. But like her life he hijacks the show and takes it over in such a crazy and unrealistic way.

The show is captivating in a "what the fuck is wrong with this dude and what the fuck is this woman doing" and you do watch it almost as if you are watching a train wreck upend her life. Did it keep my interest for the full 5 hours and keep me wanting to know what was going to happen next? Yeah. Did I enjoy the music in it? Yeah. Was it unlike something I had seen before? Yeah. Was the story unrealistic, creepy and uncomfortable? Yeah. Was I bored and do I regret spending 5 hours watching it? No.

The subject matter is obviously twisted and I think it's kind of concerning The Weeknd thought "yeah people really want to see the most toxic form of what I talk about in my music shown on screen with me manipulating and abusing this woman". And maybe more concerning is that he finds enjoyment and thinks people enjoy that.

The end of him and her using fake rape accusations to manipulate the fanbase and stuff is obviously socially tone deaf, especially using Lily Rose Depp of all people to do so.... I don't know what the messaging of that was supposed to be but I also don't find that it makes the show bad it had that sort of plotline, although I understand why it skeeved people out.

It was almost like a SAW movie but of exploitation and abuse and manipulation.

But again at the end of the day, it kept my interest for 5 hours and 5 hours to commit to a show IMO is not a big deal and I do tell people if they like the weekend and the subject matter doesn't bother them, or they just want to see a fascinating show that does so much right and so much wrong they should watch it. There are far worse things I've invested 5 hours into. Like Book of Boba Fett, Moon Knight, and other things that bored me to death. I don't think anyone would watch the Idol and say it was boring.
I don't think it was a completely different show when Abel wasn't onscreen. Jocelyn is gratuitously sexualized from head to toe and from beginning to end, when it adds absolutely nothing to do the story. Even when she's walking down the stairs to get to Xander, the camera is focused on her buttocks and see through dress. For what? All I can think is for nothing other than to sexualize her. I also don't regret watching the show but Abel is the only reason I watched it; if any other actor was in the starring role, it wouldn't have ever been on my watch list. Nothing from the trailers looked interesting to me to pull me in.

I don't know what Abel was thinking when making all of the creative changers after the original director made, but I think Hailie Jade sums it up best: The Idol went from showing the dark perspective of sexualizing women in Hollywood, to becoming the dark perspective of sexualizing women in Hollywood. The show effectively became what it originally set out to satirize.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/DT_ojl5TfaY

And where do I begin with the whole fake rape accusations...this show was first making it look like Jocelyn is Tedros' victim, and then we learn that she (seemingly?) lied about being physically abused by her mother, and Levinson himself refers to Tedros as Jocelyn's victim in the end of it all.

as a fan of his music for nearly a decade, I also wouldn't call The Idol a reflection of the music in his early days. back then he was broke & homeless. yes sure he loved to fuck, get high, and party, but he did so while still being the underdog. here, his character is a nightclub owner who already has connections to the music industry in the form of Mike Dean.

I don't know if I myself would call it boring, but that was also another common criticism from the reviews.

Last edited:

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was a completely different show when Abel wasn't onscreen. Jocelyn is gratuitously sexualized from head to toe and from beginning to end, when it adds absolutely nothing to do the story. Even when she's walking down the stairs to get to Xander, the camera is focused on her buttocks and see through dress. For what? All I can think is for nothing other than to sexualize her. I also don't regret watching the show but Abel is the only reason I watched it; if any other actor was in the starring role, it wouldn't have ever been on my watch list. Nothing from the trailers looked interesting to me to pull me in.

I don't know what Abel was thinking when making all of the creative changers after the original director made, but I think Hailie Jade sums it up best: The Idol went from showing the dark perspective of sexualizing women in Hollywood, to becoming the dark perspective of sexualizing women in Hollywood. The show effectively became what it originally set out to satirize.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/DT_ojl5TfaY

And where do I begin with the whole fake rape accusations...this show was first making it look like Jocelyn is Tedros' victim, and then we learn that she (seemingly?) lied about being physically abused by her mother, and Levinson himself refers to Tedros as Jocelyn's victim in the end of it all.

as fan of his music for nearly a decade, I also wouldn't call The Idol a reflection of the music in his early days. back then he was broke & homeless. yes sure he loved to fuck, get high, and party, but he did so while still being the underdog. here, his character is a nightclub owner who already has connections to the music industry in the form of Mike Dean.

I don't know if I myself would call it boring, but that was also another common criticism from the reviews.

Yeah, I don't really disagree with any of what you said. The only really difference is I felt maybe the first 30 minutes of the show and part of the second episode when Tedros isn't there is more about Jocelyn as someone being exploited and feeling the need to exploit herself to "redeem" herself for her mental breakdown.

I wasn't really saying it was a reflection of his early music, but the themes of toxic love which are throughout Dawn FM and parts of After Hours.
100% agreed the show went into becoming a dark sexualization of women in the industry.

The story behind this show one day I am sure will be mind flowingly baffling. Again I don't know how Able or anyone else got on board with it or why they thought the subject matter was something that would appeal to people, unless they themselves were enjoying seeing this sort of sexual and abusive exploitation porn.

Also hot take on the show, I thought his acting wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. The last episode or two when he lost control of things and really spiraled was an enjoyable performance, with the earlier episodes being complete clownery. It's hard to know if a better actor could have landed this script or if the writing was just beyond anyone portraying on screen seriously.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't really disagree with any of what you said. The only really difference is I felt maybe the first 30 minutes of the show and part of the second episode when Tedros isn't there is more about Jocelyn as someone being exploited and feeling the need to exploit herself to "redeem" herself for her mental breakdown.

I wasn't really saying it was a reflection of his early music, but the themes of toxic love which are throughout Dawn FM and parts of After Hours.
100% agreed the show went into becoming a dark sexualization of women in the industry.

The story behind this show one day I am sure will be mind flowingly baffling. Again I don't know how Able or anyone else got on board with it or why they thought the subject matter was something that would appeal to people, unless they themselves were enjoying seeing this sort of sexual and abusive exploitation porn.

Also hot take on the show, I thought his acting wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. The last episode or two when he lost control of things and really spiraled was an enjoyable performance, with the earlier episodes being complete clownery. It's hard to know if a better actor could have landed this script or if the writing was just beyond anyone portraying on screen seriously.
I absolutely agree with you about his acting. I don't think his acting was bad. I wouldn't even say is acting was "that bad" because I don't think it was bad at all. I think it was just fine. Sure it may not have been a masterful performance, but not every actor needs to deliver something Oscar-worthy in order to be entertained.

now, what exactly he was going for, that's a bit of a separate subject. if people were to talk about the stuff wrong with this show and start with his acting abilities in it, my response would be that his acting ability would be the least offensive thing about it. all of the other things we talked about are much bigger issues in my opinion.

I am also interested in one day hearing the story behind this show as it definitely would be mind boggling. we know Abel was involved from the beginning and allegedly he got HBO to change the direction, backed by Levinson who created another hit for them. if they really did complete 80% of it, I think they should just release it! call it the Seimetz cut. just look at how successful the Justice League Sneider cut was for WB!

they can just edit it to be on a cliffhanger and if it proves to be successful which I believe it would, then there would be room left on the table to get Amy to come back and film the rest. I think you're right about the themes of toxic love which are throughout his latest albums too. I think I misunderstood because a common sentiment is for longterm fans of his music, his general aura in The Idol shouldn't come as a surprise because of his early music and that's something that I kinda disagree with.

like for example, there isn't anything in Trilogy that would make me cringe like this scene does 😂

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmjOfRq3Q4&ab_channel=LilQuixxly

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely agree with you about his acting. I don't think his acting was bad. I wouldn't even say is acting was "that bad" because I don't think it was bad at all. I think it was just fine. Sure it may not have been a masterful performance, but not every actor needs to deliver something Oscar-worthy in order to be entertained.

now, what exactly he was going for, that's a bit of a separate subject. if people were to talk about the stuff wrong with this show and start with his acting abilities in it, my response would be that his acting ability would be the least offensive thing about it. all of the other things we talked about are much bigger issues in my opinion.

I am also interested in one day hearing the story behind this show as it definitely would be mind boggling. we know Abel was involved from the beginning and allegedly he got HBO to change the direction, backed by Levinson who created another hit for them. if they really did complete 80% of it, I think they should just release it! call it the Seimetz cut. just look at how successful the Justice League Sneider cut was for WB!

they can just edit it to be on a cliffhanger and if it proves to be successful which I believe it would, then there would be room left on the table to get Amy to come back and film the rest. I think you're right about the themes of toxic love which are throughout his latest albums too. I think I misunderstood because a common sentiment is for longterm fans of his music, his general aura in The Idol shouldn't come as a surprise because of his early music and that's something that I kinda disagree with.

like for example, there isn't anything in Trilogy that would make me cringe like this scene does 😂

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmjOfRq3Q4&ab_channel=LilQuixxly

The biggest problem is that it doesn't feel genuine in what he is portraying. But Testros is such an unbelievable character the things he does just never feel like they come out actually well acted.

WB Discovery has taken down a lot of the photos, but the original photos of the show look nothing like what we got. I will say the show does look beautiful and the cinematography is great.

I feel like HBO rather just forget about the show along with everyone involved. Especially The Weeknd who I am sure will come out looking worse the more the show is discussed. It's also kind of baffling he would want his face associated with such a twisted abusive character as his first acting role.

I do have to say I am a more recent fan of his music, and while I like his older stuff too After Hours and Dawn FM along with the music from the Idol is what I listen to of this the most. So this seemed to be a lot of that personified into Testros. I think it is exactly the escalation of persona from those two albums and the themes in then. Even songs like Moth to a Flame, it's always about desire, temptation and pain in love. Everything his relationship in this show is about.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
really great seeing Abel constantly showing awareness and being selfless with his wealth, but the comments section stays being ugly.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6WekdkNKRI/?img_index=1
The biggest problem is that it doesn't feel genuine in what he is portraying. But Testros is such an unbelievable character the things he does just never feel like they come out actually well acted.

WB Discovery has taken down a lot of the photos, but the original photos of the show look nothing like what we got. I will say the show does look beautiful and the cinematography is great.

I feel like HBO rather just forget about the show along with everyone involved. Especially The Weeknd who I am sure will come out looking worse the more the show is discussed. It's also kind of baffling he would want his face associated with such a twisted abusive character as his first acting role.

I do have to say I am a more recent fan of his music, and while I like his older stuff too After Hours and Dawn FM along with the music from the Idol is what I listen to of this the most. So this seemed to be a lot of that personified into Testros. I think it is exactly the escalation of persona from those two albums and the themes in then. Even songs like Moth to a Flame, it's always about desire, temptation and pain in love. Everything his relationship in this show is about.
yeah, the lack of feeling genuine may just be attributed to his acting ability. hell, the dude was comparing Tedros to DRACULA when promoting the show and yet in scenes like this one:

View: https://youtu.be/yRoZwM3SJao?si=AD-bAKi1VbRTWEuM&t=75

as for footage of the original show, there are still some circulating online. originally I only saw pictures of how Jocelyn was going to look, but courtesy of SolidSnakex in another thread about The Idol's cancelation, we actually got to see what Tedros was originally going to look like (a lot more like how Abel usually looks)

026vefoc.jpg

so to your bolded point, I think this entire show was just a massive misfire by Abel & Levinson. he probably finished this thinking that everyone was going to praise the fuck out of it as some masterful piece of televised cinema, yet everyone saw through it for its repulsiveness. this technically wasn't his first acting role though since he played himself in Uncut Gems and even though his role was small, he put off some of the audience with his role from back then too.

as for your interpretation of After Hours & Dawn FM and how it fits with his persona in The Idol, I think your analysis is sensible given the fact that those are his latest albums and he probably got started working on The Idol around the time after Dawn FM was released. Moth to a Flame is also a bonus track on one of the rereleases of Dawn FM.