• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Almost no Japanese games in a year that was defined by japanese games....

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very good list. Missing Control and RE2 for sure, but love the off-beat choices of Neo Cab, Telling Lies and of course Plague Tale.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
three games I've never even heard of, I should probably look these up.

Telling Lies
Observation
Sunless Skies

Neither of the remaining 7 games is currently on my Top 10 list though :P Though havnt played all of them yet.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunless Skies and Disco Elysium

Two of the best-written games of the year represented by a medium dedicated to words.

I love it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This is the second top 10 list posted today that RE2 doesn't make it. It hard to believe people don't think that game is at least among the 10 best this year, so I wonder if they are ignoring it because it's a remake? That would be terrible.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the second top 10 list posted today that RE2 doesn't make it. It hard to believe people don't think that game is at least among the 10 best this year, so I wonder if they are ignoring it because it's a remake? That would be terrible.

While I enjoyed the few hours I put into RE2, it's really refreshing to see some GOTY lists that are more than just a collection of the best-selling AAA games of the year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
three games I've never even heard of, I should probably look these up.

Telling Lies
Observation
Sunless Skies

Neither of the remaining 7 games is currently on my Top 10 list though :P Though havnt played all of them yet.

See, this is the best thing about GOTY season for me. I'm constantly baffled by people who are annoyed that a list doesn't include their particular favourite AAA action game of the year that is on literally every other list. What I get from lists like this is 'damn, I haven't heard of this game and I should check it out' or 'damn, I totally forgot about that game and should go back to it'.

Far more interesting.

While I enjoyed the few hours I put into RE2, it's really refreshing to see some GOTY lists that are more than just a collection of the best-selling AAA games of the year.

High five.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is the GOTY. Truly innovative, highly rewarding gameplay.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Wilds is on this list which makes it great.

Shame Sekiro is apparently too hard for a lot of journalists.

"In assembling this year's top 10 list, I leaned toward the titles that surprised me with their forward-thinking aesthetics, challenges to convention or sheer ability to dazzle. "

... and Gears 5?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This is a great list, but I'm not sure I can agree with any GotY 2019 list that doesn't include Control on it. For aesthetic and world-building purposes alone I'm fairly confident in saying it should be on every single GotY Top 10.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I have played Sunless Skies since its release and didn't realize it was that highly touted. Hardly a mention on this site. Good stuff.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I only played twobof those games long enough to judge about them: Death Stranding and Gears of War 5. While Ds may be may game of the year (with resident evil 2, which they somehow forgot), GeoW5 is my disappointment of the year.

they're referencing this abomination

Still better than everything tiktok throws at me when I want to watch a YouTube video.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a great list, but I'm not sure I can agree with any GotY 2019 list that doesn't include Control on it. For aesthetic and world-building purposes alone I'm fairly confident in saying it should be on every single GotY Top 10.
I know its down to preferences but I still cant wrap my head around how if one can play CONTROL for 2 hours and not be impressed. Even if you put aside Gameplay/Story/World-building, the game aesthetics are just so beautiful.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I know its down to preferences but I still cant wrap my head around how if one can play CONTROL for 2 hours and not be impressed. Even if you put aside Gameplay/Story/World-building, the game aesthetics are just so beautiful.

100%. I have a friend who traded in Control after just a couple hours because they hated the gameplay so much, but they still watched a playthrough of the entire thing and consider it one of the best games of the year. I really do think it sets a new bar for aesthetic and world-building, it sucked me in to that world in a way that very rarely happens in video games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
See, this is the best thing about GOTY season for me. I'm constantly baffled by people who are annoyed that a list doesn't include their particular favourite AAA action game of the year that is on literally every other list. What I get from lists like this is 'damn, I haven't heard of this game and I should check it out' or 'damn, I totally forgot about that game and should go back to it'.

Far more interesting.

Indeed.

Discoverability is one of the absolute best features of GOTY season.

There are just so many games out there, more than I'll ever have time for. It's great to have others do the legwork to help me discover awesome, diverse titles that are potentially in my blind-spot. Or perhaps games I've made a mental note of in the past, being mentioned over and over on the lists, compelling me to try out sooner than later.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They forgot to add "for people who don't own a Switch" to the title

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't even put the best Strand game on there

It's Pathologic 2

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Awesome list! I'm pleasantly surprised at the variety of this list and the attention to smaller games. I'll add Katana Zero to this list and agree with it wholeheartedly.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is my No. 1 and Sayonara Wild Hearts is my No. 2. Nice to see them here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
But if a game is good, and RE2 definitely is, then it shouldn't be ignored simply because it's an AAA title.

Oh for sure.

I don't think RE2 was ignored by WP 'cause it's AAA, seeing how they have Gears and Stranding on their list.

I'm just saying it's nice to see the unsung heroes represented on these lists as well.

I'm sure RE2 will place on dozens of GOTY lists this season. But something like Neo Cab or Sunless Skies? I think that's a bigger ask. Those titles are just as deserving as RE2 and it's nice to see an outlet here and there give them a nod in a field typically dominated by flashy AAA releases.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Far more interesting.

Fully agree!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
something like RE2 is already well known and played by many people, and will get a lot of awards from gaming publications. i'd much rather the lists from non-gaming publications introduce people to lesser known games. i'm happy they have 8 indie/smaller games on there, for example.

Nov 9, 2017
That's kinda odd that there isn't any Sekiro (which wasn't my thing at all, but it's production values are truly top notch) on this list, or Resident Evil 2: Remake.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Just a curious question.

Those of you who are wondering the exclusion of games like RE2 and Sekiro; did you play the games that made the list like Neo Cab? =P

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Death Stranding invalidates the list. As does the lack of Sekiro.

Jan 29, 2018
I got A Plague Tale from the PSN sale but haven't gotten to start it yet. Really enjoying Outer Wilds right now. List needs Control though.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Personally, I'm enjoying it, but it certainly doesn't hold a candle to other games commonly listed (Death Stranding, Control, Sekiro, Gears 5, et al)

Almost no Japanese games in a year that was defined by japanese games....
What

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's very different from what my list would look like, but I'm always happy to see Outer Wilds get more love.

Looking forward to eventually playing Disco.