Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
giphy.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the sense that PC gets all Xbox games, and that it kinda looks like a PC? Sure, I guess.

But saying that it's basically a PC is incorrect since you can upgrade your PC parts whenever you want, and PCs are for a lot of things, not just games and movies.

Either way, gaming journalism is at an all-time low these days. The Verge doesn't know what a PC is.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
As long as I can put a disc in or click a button and the game just works. That's all I care about. Not interested in configuring any low-level details like a traditional PC environment.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Their point was you'll be able to get the same graphical capabilities as playing a game on a modern high-end gaming PC, and the extra room in the case enables that. It removes the biggest reason most PC gamers are PC gamers, for the best quality graphics, at least for now. PC will continue to evolve and advance, but if someone just wants to play games at ultra quality, the Series X will likely match exactly what's available on PC for at least a couple years. I mean, the rumored power of this thing is almost at 2080ti-level, that's an $1100 GPU on PC.
Nvidia's 30xx series going to 7nm and releasing before the next gen consoles will far eclipse what is possible on a 2080Ti.

Also given most GPUs sold are low to mid range, I'd argue graphics isn't actually the main reason most PC gamers are PC gamers.

Basically, it'll just be like every console generation.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

Can I be honest? I have been a defender of PC gaming for a long time, but this article really got me thinking. I use my PC for both gaming and working (editing/translating documents). I'm currently rocking a 1070/Ryzen 1600/8GB system which has served me well, but upgrading to something like 2080/Ryzen 3700/16GB (XSX-like machine) is going to cost me hundreds if not thousands more than buying a new console. As you can see, my work doesn't require a beefy PC so the only use of powerful hardware for me would be gaming.
On the other hand, I love stuff like CheatEngine and mods on PC. They have been lifesavers at times and have made stale or very old games enjoyable again at other times. Giving them up is not going to be easy.
I'm going to see how PS5 is going to shape up, but right now, the sound financial decision for someone like me seems to be buying a console rather than upgrading my PC, especially when you factor in Game Pass and hopefully its PlayStation equivalent.

I'm in a similar boat; but I figure when I add 5 years of Xbox Live to the cost of the console, I'm better off waiting a year or a little more for the next generation of video cards and grabbing an GTX xx70 rather than a current xx80 for less money. That way I keep the benefit of mods/cheap PC games and it seems all Xbox first party games are coming to PC from now on. If anything PS5+PC is the more attractive option to me than buying into the Xbox ecosystem at this point.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That's not why most PC gamers are PC gamers. We like control over our hardware and software and this console doesn't offer that.
I said most PC gamers, not all. The ones I personally know either want the best possible graphics, or want VR, or want mods. Or piracy. And rarely a game not available on console (and these days even indie games hit consoles). If this gives the best possible graphics without having to buy a $1000 GPU, that's going to solve the main reason for most people.

OP
OP
Elven_Star

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I love how most people didn't bother to read the OP (typical). I believe we really need to think about how much we are willing to pay for PC's obvious advantages. We live in the era of $1000+ GPUs after all.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Consoles have always been gimped PCs. They will continue to be gimped PCs. I'm not fond of current gpu prices, but I would rather spend the money on a PC than the consoles.

Larger selection of games, better performance n presentation, and more flexibility all around.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I said most PC gamers, not all. The ones I personally know either want the best possible graphics, or want VR, or want mods. Or piracy. And rarely a game not available on console (and these days even indie games hit consoles). If this gives the best possible graphics without having to buy a $1000 GPU, that's going to solve the main reason for most people.

That may be true for your particular circle but I do not believe that it is in any way representative of the whole.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

I think its very dependent on who one talks to.

People I know like PC due to 3 things, variety of games, discord and free online. Where you really don't need to worry about upgrading with a $1000 GPU since graphical settings can be adjusted to run on GPUs from a few years ago and they don't really care if its the highest of high fidelity experiences

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I paid 40 extra a year on console for the pleasure of playing online games. Over 6 years that's another 240 dollars. PCs starting to look better and better. And now Nintendo is charging me 20 dollars a year just to backup a save. Somewhere along the line, console gaming lost the plot.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Most PC gamers do not have top of the line hardware that can max out games. This is fact.

People play on PC for many different reasons, graphics being one of many. I doubt the new Xbox (or PlayStation) can address most of those reasons.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been in the loop of gaming pc's in a long long time, but I remember how in the early 2000's there were companies trying to cram gaming pc components into tiny micro cases, this reminds me of those so much. Is that still done nowadays?

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
An IPC

It's impenetrable

I haven't been in the loop of gaming pc's in a long long time, but I remember how in the early 2000's there were companies trying to cram gaming pc components into tiny micro cases, this reminds me of those so much. Is that still done nowadays?

Yep, very much so. Some super sexy all aluminium cases costing hundreds even. It's a small form factor art form now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
People who keep claiming the main/only reason people play on PC is for the power just shows how clueless they are on the platform.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
All consoles are custom PC's though. Regarding Xbox Series X well good to see its reveal. Now to see how Sony stacks up with PS5 down the road.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Most PC gamers do not have top of the line hardware that can max out games. This is fact.

People play on PC for many different reasons, graphics being one of many. I doubt the new Xbox (or PlayStation) can address most of those reasons.
It is fact. But most do have higher end hardware than the consoles, even at launch of new generations. I know my friends all play games on PC primarily for the graphics. As do I (and for VR). This is the first time you'd have to buy an $1100 GPU to out-power a game console at launch (if the rumors of the Xbox Series X power are true).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I love these hot takes of "it's basically just a PC". Yeah, where you guys been since 2013? Are these same hottakes gonna appear when Zen 2, RDNA 2 PS5 makes itself known?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Would you instantly buy a pre-built PC with Windows 10 on it? Why or why not?

If the XBSeriesX could run W10 and cost under $600 with a smallish form factor and power that is rumored to be at least mid-tier. With MS backed 'Surface '-like build quality.

I honestly wouldn't mind it lol. But I'm partial to custom builds so wouldn't end up getting it...

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reasons to be a PC gamer:

More control over the experience (resolutions, framerates, graphical effects, etc)
Insane controller options (pad, m/kb, wheel, etc)
Graphics
Performance
Mods
Unique titles and genres (Total War, Flight Simulator etc)
Backwards compatibility
100.000.000 games
Emulation.

Ftfy :)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It is fact. But most do have higher end hardware than the consoles, even at launch of new generations. I know my friends all play games on PC primarily for the graphics. As do I (and for VR). This is the first time you'd have to buy an $1100 GPU to out-power a game console at launch (if the rumors of the Xbox Series X power are true).

Yeah but that would be monumentally stupid. The current GPUs will be able to hang for a while, especially with cross-gen games being a thing for a while. Wait a year or so and powerful gpus will be affordable.

And the broader point being that power is only one small facet of why people choose PC. The Xbox being more powerful than most gpus for a few months won't change that.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Can I be honest? I have been a defender of PC gaming for a long time, but this article really got me thinking. I use my PC for both gaming and working (editing/translating documents). I'm currently rocking a 1070/Ryzen 1600/8GB system which has served me well, but upgrading to something like 2080/Ryzen 3700/16GB (XSX-like machine) is going to cost me hundreds if not thousands more than buying a new console. As you can see, my work doesn't require a beefy PC so the only use of powerful hardware for me would be gaming.
On the other hand, I love stuff like CheatEngine and mods on PC. They have been lifesavers at times and have made stale or very old games enjoyable again at other times. Giving them up is not going to be easy.
I'm going to see how PS5 is going to shape up, but right now, the sound financial decision for someone like me seems to be buying a console rather than upgrading my PC, especially when you factor in Game Pass and hopefully its PlayStation equivalent.

It really depends on how you game. If you don't use mods or aren't into VR, it's very compelling. I agree.

Unfortunately, those two things are mostly what I do.

It'd be cool if AMD has finally reached a point where they can begin shipping super APUs for the enthusiast market. Because I wouldn't mind a very small, water cooled APU that could do 12TF. That's like 2X the performance of my 1070 and with the way the market has shaped out, I'd be more than happy with those specs.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but that would be monumentally stupid. The current GPUs will be able to hang for a while, especially with cross-gen games being a thing for a while. Wait a year or so and powerful gpus will be affordable.

And the broader point being that power is only one small facet of why people choose PC. The Xbox being more powerful than most gpus for a few months won't change that.
But my point is the one you made: most people don't have top of the line hardware. So the Xbox won't be more powerful than most user GPUs for just a few months, but likely at least a couple years, unless the price of GPUs falls back into more reasonable ranges very damn quick. I know I'm not planning on upgrading from my 1080ti anytime soon.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bad take.

The PC is not just the hardware you run games on, it is an open platform for productive and entertainment.
The current gen of consoles also use PC parts, but they are not PCs.

All this is the result of the XSX sort of looking like a PC tower at the intial reveal. It is so thoughtless.