• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Galaxy_Fold_Jelly.gif

Yeah that would drive me nuts.

Used a Fold in a Samsung store. That effect is definitely there but far less pronounced in person. TBH if I didn't know to look for it I wouldn't have noticed.

The device as a whole feels fine. More premium than I thought. I can feel the seam between the screens but clicking around and it's a very usable device. Obviously not worth $2000 but it's a neat piece of first-gen tech. Can't wait to see what the next couple of iterations of this look/feel like.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's most likely getting paid by Samsung. He is not a real tech journalist and is no different than a marketing arm most of the time.

YouTube has pretty strict rules about disclosing advertisers. No worries, he makes a ton of drivel for clicks without any corporation paying him to do so.

This is the dude who said he was going to give away a literal truck load of iPhones.

CSae90ZVAAAWsGR

For those who forgot or never knew.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...y-fold-risks-killing-foldable-phones-at-birth

Hopefully Samsung's disaster here doesnt kill foldable phones before it take off. I guess we will need Apple to revive it

It's the overriding question about foldable phones: can they survive all that… folding?

The answer seems to be no. Take Samsung Electronics Co.'s new foldable handset. According to early reviews, it stopped working within just two days. That's an ominous sign for the smartphone industry, which had been hoping the technology would provide its next growth spurt.

Lol another large news site being somewhat dishonest for clicks.

I guess "we broke our unit by ruining the screen" isn't as exciting to read as "it stopped working within just two days".

Same behaviour their reviwer showed on twitter pretending the screen just died out of nowhere.

Also, there is nothing at all from any reviewer that the screen can't withstand folding.......the only concrete thing we know is that the Galaxy Fold can't withstand tearing up the screen or stuffing the hinge with clay.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol another large news site being somewhat dishonest for clicks.

I guess "we broke our unit by ruining the screen" isn't as exciting to read as "it stopped working within just two days".

Same behaviour their reviwer showed on twitter pretending the screen just died out of nowhere.

Also, there is nothing at all from any reviewer that the screen can't withstand folding.......the only concrete thing we know is that the Galaxy Fold can't withstand tearing up the screen or stuffing the hinge with clay.

The article you quoted references the plastic sheet being pulled off literally two short paragraphs later.

But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative about the crooked media hating on Samsung unfairly, so we'll just ignore it.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article you quoted references the plastic sheet being pulled off literally two short paragraphs later.

But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative about the crooked media hating on Samsung unfairly, so we'll just ignore it.
Just as much as "we fucked up the screen" doesn't suit their narrative of "Galaxy Fold broke after just two days of use" and "the folding screen can't withstand folding" lie that forms the very first sentence of the article.

The second statement is actually very dishonest given that nobody, not even their own assessment of the device and any issues they had were linked to the screen bring able to withstand being folded.

Oct 27, 2017
Unbox Therapy is a shill, no doubts about that. He got sent 8 folds lol which is crazy. He gets mad because Apple don't send him stuff early.

But I'm surprised MKBHD gets a lot of leeway about being a shill. Here's a guy who had a interview with Elon Musk and asked him questions that a shill would ask and claimed it was some sort of interview. He shills for Tesla. He probably does the same with phones, but I tend not to watch his phone reviews. He even was in a podcast with that cretin Joe Rogan.

The same can be said for ijustine. These people need to start disclosing and that goes for all journos including written about products and sponsorships they receive from these companies. Do these reviewers keep the phone or send them back? Viewers need to know stuff like that.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Just as much as "we fucked up the screen" doesn't suit their narrative of "Galaxy Fold broke after just two days of use" and "the folding screen can't withstand folding" lie that forms the very first sentence of the article.

The second statement is actually very dishonest given that nobody, not even their own assessment of the device and any issues they had were linked to the screen bring able to withstand being folded.
One of the media who had their phone screens break was caused by the plastic bunching up by the fold. Thus, linked to the device folding causing the issue.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any good YouTube channels related to consumer electronics?

Only one I think I've actually enjoyed is Dave2D or whatever his name is.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Agree , but until apple makes one a portion of smartphone users will mock them...
Apple doesn't chase trends tho, Apple sets them. Foldable phones are a dumb hype that these Android phone makers will drop sooner than later. At $2000 you want the absolute best.

Apple will come with something far better when the time is right, and everyone will copy them.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple doesn't chase trends tho, Apple sets them. Foldable phones are a dumb hype that these Android phone makers will drop sooner than later. At $2000 you want the absolute best.

Apple will come with something far better when the time is right, and everyone will copy them.

So, android makers follow dumb hype untill apple does it correctly...

Until apple release their own, the prices will be lower on android foldables and have bigger marketshare worldwide

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

What trends have the iPhones set lately? Name one. At this point they're usually a year late to the game

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No more headphone jacks and the fucking notch.

Thanks, Apple.

Hah! Apple didn't even invent the notch. The Essential phone was the first mainstream phone to release with a notch and they did it much better than Apple did with more of a tear drop. Multiple other carriers showed their notch phones earlier as well
Apparently the notch was inevitable based of screen technology though Xaomi managed to go notch free with the Mi Mix which was way ahead of apple and all other phones when it came to full screen displays. Shame the phone didn't sell well in the US. It was beautiful though a bit wonky with the bottom front facing camera.

I'm currently rocking the Mi Mix 3 which has no notch and the screen covers 100% of the front.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
What trends have the iPhones set lately? Name one. At this point they're usually a year late to the game
The amazingly fast and groundbreaking Face ID.

Also lol Essential phone, they essentially came out at the same time beating Apple by 2 months. The Android horde didn't copy the Essential phone, they copied the iPhone X, therefore the iPhone set the trend, no one is gonna copy a noname Android brand.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
The amazingly fast and groundbreaking Face ID.
Is that really a trend a lot of others are following, though? Android devices go more towards fingerprint sensors below the display, not facial recognition (beyond 2D photos, which is just... lol).

(Of course, Windows Hello, which is essentially the same tech, was there a couple of years before the iPhone got it, but that's laptops, so fine if it doesn't count.)

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Fingerprint sensors, Dual Cameras and portrait mode, Notches. They weren't the absolute first with them but everyone else followed suit afterwards. Then there are things like Face ID or the way they avoid having a chin on their phone which other manufacturers haven't been able to do.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Apple doesn't chase trends tho, Apple sets them.

Exactly. That's why iPhones are still 4 inches, a measure fit for a human hand instead of those deformend monstrosities like the Note.

And use a Jobs approved LCD instead of the sacrilegous OLEDs in the inferior Android handsets.

And have only one camera in the back, as Jobs intended.

And don't get me started on software trends! Don't y'all remember the awful notifications on iOS until they chose to do the sensible thing and clone the way Android handles them? Or the aped multitasking?

Let''s get real: Apple has pushed through a lot of the innovations of the modern smartphone (heck, I'd even go as far as to say that the first modern smartphone was the iPhone, an assertion that surely is gonna get me a lot of flak). But they're not afraid to chase trends. As Jobs said (paraphrasing Picasso)... good artists copy, great artists steal.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.todayonline.com/world/samsung-galaxy-fold-review-phones-fail-delivering-pr-nightmare

Mr Wiens of iFixit said he wasn't surprised by early reports of the Galaxy Fold's fragility. Some of Samsung's other recent phones, like the Galaxy S8 Edge, use a similar flexible display technology to wrap the device's screen around the edges of the phone. Devices with flexible displays have been more fragile because they expose the screens to broader angles of impact, he said.

If anything, he said, the Galaxy Fold is a cautionary tale about the risks of being an early adopter of new technology. Mr Wiens said Samsung should postpone releasing the product.

"These flexible devices are going to be very fragile for a long time," he said. "I think we're years, not months, away from solving this problem." THE NEW YORK TIMES

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. That's why iPhones are still 4 inches, a measure fit for a human hand instead of those deformend monstrosities like the Note.

And use a Jobs approved LCD instead of the sacrilegous OLEDs in the inferior Android handsets.

And have only one camera in the back, as Jobs intended.

And don't get me started on software trends! Don't y'all remember the awful notifications on iOS until they chose to do the sensible thing and clone the way Android handles them? Or the aped multitasking?

Let''s get real: Apple has pushed through a lot of the innovations of the modern smartphone (heck, I'd even go as far as to say that the first modern smartphone was the iPhone, an assertion that surely is gonna get me a lot of flak). But they're not afraid to chase trends. As Jobs said (paraphrasing Picasso)... good artists copy, great artists steal.

This is accurate. It's been a two-way game in the smartphone industry for years.

Apple has certainly mainstreamed a number of novel technologies and designs, but there are just as many they've lifted from competitors once they were proven to be superior solutions.

Which, for the record, underscreen fingerprint sensors ain't.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Remember when their small phones were "a dazzling display of common sense," or how nearly every android phone had wireless charging years before iPhone. Heck, remember when every iPhone used lcd screens in a world of OLED? Apple follows trends all the time and occasionally sets them, same as every other manufacturer.

That said I doubt foldable phones will ever be a trend.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Even if it ends up being a tech failure, it's a good move. This is definitely something I want to see as mainstream. Foldable tech is the future, in my opinion.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Foldable phones are the future. Its just a matter of when. Combining a phone and tablet is an irresistible proposition.

Says who? I think it's a neat novelty but I have no desire for a foldable phone and no one I know in real life is that interested. So far I've seen a lot of excitement from the tech world for it but I feel like that's because it's something different with an actual use case.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
So hostile, lol. I'm saying I'd be fine cause I don't mistreat my electronics, but someone who peels off the protective cover or does other potentially damaging actions may not fair as well.

Wasn't being hostile, just finding humor in conflicting statements.

Also "don't mistreat my electronics" is still a lot different from "babying". I don't know many people who have devices that need to be babied. Who knows, maybe you're thinking of that term differently than what it means and that's where the confusion is?

As I said earlier in this thread we will see what everything looks like in 3-4 weeks. Maybe it's bad, maybes it's not. We won't know until consumers have a hold of it and it goes through normal wear and tear from normal everyday use.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is it not? Wouldn't you like to have a regular phone in your pocket that you can expand at will to watch video, being productive etc?

The concept is amazing. It's the execution that is all kinds of wrong. Technology at the moment seems to only allow for it to barely exist, not for it to exist in a quality way.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Foldable phones are the future! If they manage to make it compact enough, it for sure will be. Who would not want a phone + tablet on demand if the price is reasonable .

No denying that samsung dropped the ball here.
But lmao what a statement to make!

Doesnt chase trends you said....
- remember when apple users used to make fun of big screens... 'i like the size of this 3 5", why would I need a bigger phone'. Yeh that went out of the window.
- also let's not forget edge to edge display.

And to be honest, that's quite honeslty the biggest change apple has done. Increase the phone size after iphone 5. Well done! So innovative that they removed the headphone jack lol.

Not that I care about the jack, it is not make or break personally, but why remove it if there is no need.

Credit to their face id. Impressive tech. But then again, I am completely fine with my combo of fingerprint + less secure face unlock.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
How is it not? Wouldn't you like to have a regular phone in your pocket that you can expand at will to watch video, being productive etc?

The concept is amazing. It's the execution that is all kinds of wrong. Technology at the moment seems to only allow for it to barely exist, not for it to exist in a quality way.

Not really.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE

This is more for Note users than the casuals. People mostly use smartphones for social media apps.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I do not like samsungs execution. The actual phone bit is tall and small screen wise.

But how can anyone deny the benefit of a foldable phone?

Want to watch a movie or tv show, open up your phone. (For example cardio gym)

Want to read a book, open up phone for comfort

Got an assignment, but dont want to carry a tablet or laptop. Open up your phone.

Multitasking has been a feauture on phones, but its more usefull with bigger screens.

Best of all. If you do not want any of that? You still have a phone that does all other flagship phone stuff. The only thing that will make or break this, is the price.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I heard basically the same arguments for Google glass and modular phones, both of which I thought were doomed. Nothing is really guaranteed to catch on in the tech world, no matter how much you want it too or how much you believe in it. If the trade offs are to great, the tech is too cumbersome, or the appeal is just too niche for wide adoption then it wont stay around.

I do not like samsungs execution. The actual phone bit is tall and small screen wise.

Got an assignment, but dont want to carry a tablet or laptop. Open up your phone.

Multitasking has been a feauture on phones, but its more usefull with bigger screens.

Best of all. If you do not want any of that? You still have a phone that does all other flagship phone stuff. The only thing that will make or break this, is the price.

Just price? Not that it's inherently less durable than a slab phone? Or the current requirement for a plastic screen that will be scratched to hell in a month and you cant even put a screen protector on it? What about them being bulkier folded then a standard smartphone? Don't get me wrong, I get why people want them, but I thing a decent amount of people don't want to make their smartphone experience worse so that the don't have to carry another device that barely weighs anything and they have in a bag anyway.

Last edited:

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

There's always naysayers with new tech. If the tech gets worked out, foldable phones will eventually be the norm.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Apple fans also denied that anyone would want bigger phones because Lord Steve made a video with a thumb and how far it could reach. But here we are. Nothing in tech is for everyone, but foldable phones will be a dominant form factor in 3-5 years. A few people will buy non foldable phones, just like people (including myself) buy iPhone SE or other small phones. But foldable is the future.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Apple fans also denied that anyone would want bigger phones because Lord Steve made a video with a thumb and how far it could reach. But here we are. Nothing in tech is for everyone, but foldable phones will be a dominant form factor in 3-5 years. A few people will buy non foldable phones, just like people (including myself) buy iPhone SE or other small phones. But foldable is the future.

I'll be using my foldable phone to control my curved TV.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'll take a look at Samsung's foldable when they bring the S-Pen to it.

I do think the tech will eventually get there, but there's going to be growing pains along the way.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still excited for smart phones. Realistically, probably won't be another couple of years before it's the way i want it (less bezel on the front cover, for one, or that it has different settings when it folds out, the way a 3DS can be opened up and clicks at different angles), and probably 5 years before the value is actually there, though.

Could be the next 4K or the next 3DTV, but speculating is fun.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

My main issue is that it's way too early to say that. We have one fordable phone finally making it to market next week and it comes with a ton of trade offs vs a traditional smartphone. If they iron that out I could see it working, but to declare a trend absolutely taking over this early is just not a safe assumption.

Samsung or any company should stop giving them review units.

We just calling for completely unethical shit now? Should Bethesda stop sending review codes to everyone who didn't like fallout 76? How about EA with everyone who didn't like anthem. Sure, silence anyone who doesn't hop on the bandwagon. Reviews are not a PR piece for the company.