BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's the actual headline as of posting this thread:

Samsung announces new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros

"So similar you don't even need to squint."

004_Notebook7.jpg

Just ahead of WWDC 2019, Samsung has announced a couple of new laptops. They happen to go by the name of Notebook 7, but they're so obviously and intensely inspired by Apple's current laptop that Samsung is begging to be called out.

There will be 13-inch and 15-inch versions of this Windows 10 laptop, each with design features that are practically identical to the MacBook Pro. It has diamond-cut edges, a wide trackpad, and slim bezels surrounding its screen. Samsung is flexing its dedication by cribbing even the small details: the font used on the keyboard and the wallpaper are a lot like Apple's, too, and there's even a wide indentation machined into its metal chassis to make lifting up the screen easier.

Of the two sizes, the 13-inch model bears the closest resemblance to Apple's MacBook Pro, with its keyboard arrangement and center-aligned trackpad, and well, just about everything else about it. The 15-inch laptop's design dashes the illusion completely with a numpad on its keyboard, which shoves all of the keys and its trackpad left-of-center.

The Notebook 7, unlike Apple's MacBook Pro, features a load of useful ports, including two USB 3.0 ports, a USB-C port, HDMI, and a microSD slot. So, no dongles are necessary if you want to hook it up to an external monitor, or connect multiple accessories — though it can't connect via Ethernet.

For reference:
mbp13-silver-select-201807

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, given that it appears to blatantly take a ton of inspiration from the Macbook line, it does look nice. Hope specs and performance are right up there, too, but I guess we'll find out soon enough... I can imagine review units are already in the hands of many, or are rapidly on their way.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, Apple with their famous random blue key, large screen bezel, number pad and offset trackpad.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The fact that the lip and the trackpad aren't symmetrical annoys me more than is reasonable.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I hate the trackpad placement.

But yeah, this doesn't look like the MBP at all. The only thing they seem to have in common is being a laptop.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung with the superior arrow-key design / layout though.

Essentially, this is more like a clone of the "Late 2012" retina MacBook Pro - given the keyboard layout and the ample connectivity.
iu

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Finally. Doesn't come in space grey though. More windows laptop makers need to try and make them as good looking as macbooks. Just don't solder the ram and ssd onto the board as well.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
samsungnotebook7.0.jpg

I think even the most rabid Apple hater would struggle to deny that the 13" model bears more than a passing resemblance to a Macbook.

Pretty much every boutique notebook made since Intel launched their Ultrabook initiative bears more than a passing resemblance to a Macbook. It's the tiny details that make the difference these days.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They don't look much like macbooks to me. I laughed at the "Slim bezels surrounding the screen" part. Did they look at it?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, they don't even look like macbooks. Second of all, title is extremely stupid even if they did look almost the same. But it's The Verge so no surprise there.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
But that's...what laptops look like now? When was the last time they went to a computer store? Black bezels and an aluminium chassis aren't exclusive to Apple anymore. This isn't even the first time Samsung used this design :S

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks more than different enough? Different color bezels, different size bezels, rounded edges (which is a huge difference on its own already), different keyboard, different speaker placement. What's left, material and touchpad? I guess we will find out if Apple has any patents on those then. Either way, to say it's a copy is just a straight up lie.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can immediately notice the less pleasant corner circle radius and the uncentered trackpad like what.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
smh they can't even copy stuff well, it looks much worse than apple's design.
not the first time they've tried to copy apple and failed tho so i'm not surprised.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
And people say the Verge is even handed?
its not like the everyone does not have a unibody notebook in their line up now

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Hardly the first time some laptop came out bearing a resemblence to a MacBook

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, most ultrabooks look similar to this with an aluminum chassis. Plus, the off center/much smaller trackpad, the huge bezel under the screen, no speaker grille holes, and no touchbar equivalent make it rather obvious it isn't a Macbook Pro. And the 15 inch model has a numpad even...

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Verge is correct. However, it is a little unfair calling out Samsung for something that has been going on for a while from everybody.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
There's an ethernet port on the Notebook 7 Force model from the article, but not the one pictured in the OP.

005_Notebook7Force.jpg

Thankfully, the article very helpfully points out that this laptop also looks like a Mac Book Pro (???), but then concedes that it actually looks more like another completely different laptop by another company. Because it's black.

Great piece of journalism all around tbh.

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Samsung with the superior arrow-key design / layout though.

Essentially, this is more like a clone of the "Late 2012" retina MacBook Pro - given the keyboard layout and the ample connectivity.
iu
I have that exact MBP but what's wrong with Apple making the side arrows larger in the latest models?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I would rather have the Samsung. But seriously get the XPS 15 coming later this month if you want a cool looking power laptop.

dell_xps_15_2019_1.jpg

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm excuse me but one of them clearly has a blue key and the other doesn't. Pretty obvious which is which.