• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Are there lootboxes or gacha mechanics in Fortnite? Or do you buy things directly? Playstation might be smelling blood for one of those elements in their own games.

How does this compare with the overall playerbase do those numbers match up?
You buy skins and there's a season pass. The Save The World mode had lootboxes, but they removed them I'm pretty sure, it's also not F2P so probably has 1% the total players.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm legitimately shocked that Playstation and XBOX are bigger in terms of revenue for Fortnite than PC is. I didn't think iPhone would be bigger because it just seems like a less ideal control scheme, but I figured something like half their player base was on PC. It must be significantly smaller for them than their XBOX or Playstation sales, since Epic would get 100% of the revenue from the EGS MTX sales, as opposed to the 70-ish they get on consoles. Crazy.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Mobile market is immense, but mobile market for games not primarily designed for them isn't... all that hot. Mobile experience and what those players look for is inherently different.

Tencent managed to translate PUBG to Mobile extraordinary well and it has been a printing money machine for years.

And COD Mobile too.

People clearly didn't move to Fortnite on mobile like thy did with PUBG.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shocked at PC being so low. It's probably still an astronomical number that 99% of developers would wish for but it's surprising that it's at most less than a fifth of the pie.

Feb 15, 2019
Huh, considering they state that it's second lowest when Android is listed it's not too bad to guesstimate that Android is around 5% if ios was 7%. That means Switch and PC together only make up for 13.7% which genuinely surprises me. I figured Fortnite on PC would at least equal Xbox revenue but it's not even half. Makes me wonder what it'd be like if it was on Steam.

That's not even going into how atrocious it's doing on mobile when so many other big IPs seemingly make the lion's share of the money from mobile nowadays with a succesful mobile game.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Also its a lot easier to pick a fight with the one thats 7% of your sales as opposed to almost half.

If Sony took the same measures against Epic that Apple did with the start of this kerfuffle that would not be great for them.
Yep. iOS being only 7% of their revenue makes it totally obvious why Epic is so gung ho on them specifically. Its money they can throw away in hopes to get a ludicrous amount more without hurting them.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Youtubers/competiive players like to make it seem like PC would be the majority and whine about controller players. We are the players funding the damn thing.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's not all THAT surprising that Playstation is highest, but seeing that PC + mobile combined makes less than even Xbox alone is bizarre.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I knew Fortnite was pretty far behind the other battle royale titles like PUBG and FreeFire but I didn't realize it was that far behind. Yikes.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
it all makes sense now why they're going after apple specifically.

Which begs the question: why is Epic pushing so much on this lawsuit?

sony and microsoft also take a 30% cut, just like apple does, but apple is only a tiny slice of the fornite pie. epic can't afford to suddenly have sony take fortnite off PSN because it's almost half of their fortnite revenue.

Honestly, this is where the whole case breaks apart.
Epic wants to increase their share from 70% to 88% when in reality it would only grow the iOS market share for fortnite spendings to 9%. It makes this mountain of an issue that Epic tried to make out of it into something fairly tiny in the grand scheme of things.
if epic succeeds in convincing a court that apple's 30% cut is excessive then it will be very helpful for epic in any litigation/negotiations with other platform holders like sony/microsoft. think big picture.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually in the financial webcast earlier today Sony specifically pointed out the Epic Games investment as part of their gaming investments, and explained that it will be utilized for the gaming divsion but did not specify beyond that.
Oh, I missed that. Probably also related to UE and some of the features they've been adding to it with the companies Epic's been buying. Plus their strategy to use the UE on the film side.

That makes way more sense. Thanks for the info!

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
People that game on PC spend all of their money on front-end costs (building the damn thing) and then act like we're dead broke when it comes to content purchases.

This is certainly not true across-the-board but there is an element of truth to it. I suspect the average PS4 player is more willing to part with money for software and loot boxes and shit than the average PC player, who complains bitterly if the $15 humble bundle only has 3 games they want in it.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Your battle pass is tied to your epic account and not your device. My son buys his battle pass on his PS4 account because my card details are on there and it's more convenient but he plays it mostly on the switch. I also know at least 3 people at work who would play on the PS4 at home (including buying the battle pass) but would then play it on their phone when commuting and at lunchtime.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
it all makes sense now. sony and microsoft also take a 30% cut, just like apple does, but apple is only a tiny slice of the fornite pie. epic can't afford to suddenly have sony take fortnite off PSN because it's almost half of their fortnite revenue.

"Your Honor, we don't include the PlayStation and Xbox in our claims about walled gardens due to the Chewbacca defense."

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. iOS being only 7% of their revenue makes it totally obvious why Epic is so gung ho on them specifically. Its money they can throw away in hopes to get a ludicrous amount more without hurting them.

Yeah, hypothetically if they win, they could force Sony and Microsoft marketplaces to follow which means even more money for Epic which going by these numbers is their true goal, broad store changes across every platform.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's actually pretty damn surprising to me. Basically half of all revenue.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This is certainly not true across-the-board but there is an element of truth to it. I suspect the average PS4 player is more willing to part with money for software and loot boxes and shit than the average PC player, who complains bitterly if the $15 humble bundle only has 3 games they want in it.

Fortnite is featured prominently on the Playstation store. I feel there's always some banner or advertisement on their. On the Switch eShop, you occasionally seem the game on the featured section of the store but that's usually reserved for new or upcoming games. And on PC, Fortnite obviously has no presence on Steam. Don't have an Xbox so I can't speak to that. But it feels like purchasing ingame items is just pushed more on Playstation compared to other systems.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense. Larger install base. No psn+ requirement. Better performance in general for the cost of hardware compared to phones.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it will come out in this lawsuit how much of a cut they're paying Sony and MS.

If it was the standard 30%... then Sony over that period would be walking away with revenue equivalent to 20% of Epic's total Fortnite revenue.

But I'd be shocked if Epic wasn't getting some kind of fee discount based on volume/size, or some kind of 'sweetheart deal' (the kind I believe they tried initially to get from Apple).

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
For Playstation to have almost 50% is actually pretty crazy considering you could play Fortnite on anything anywhere.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
I guess people on PC just don't spend money on it
My assumption is that the PC community on Fortnite is highly competitive but small. Big streamers that buy skins probably get VBucks from Epic anyways. They are content creators, and the the hundreds of thousands to millions that see them buy a skin then buy it on the platform they have which is most likely a console. Its hard to compete when the player base could be as high as 140M on console alone.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Because they're moving all the games they make that are similar (Rocket League, Fall Guys, etc) to mobile eventually and they're still looking to acquire more studios/games that are similar. I would imagine they'll eventually move to unify those brands in a big way. We're already starting to see it with cross-over events.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I understand what the point you're trying to make. If the iOS version of the game was responsible for 7% of the revenue Epic was bringing in, how is suing Apple and currently getting 0% helpful?

if Epic wins it might mean they could argue and win the same case more broadly on every store platform, PSN, Xbox meaning they wouldn't need to give anyone a cut, by going after the big iOS fish, less revenue though, they can change the landscape for themselves more broadly if they win. Also, I don't think they actually expected Apple to throw them off the store for this amount of time.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Haha you're not wrong though. I put a ton of money into my PC and I'll see games on Steam like 50% off and I'm thinking, ".............would be nice if it was 75% though" and then chickening out of the purchase.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
With PS+ you get skins/cosmetics for free on a regular basis. I assume Playstation pays Epic some good money for that. I wonder how much that deal adds to the total revenue for Fortnite on PS.

To be clear: Xbox/Nintendo/PC/Mobile does not offer this

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this is where the whole case breaks apart.
Epic wants to increase their share from 70% to 88% when in reality it would only grow the iOS market share for fortnite spendings to 9%. It makes this mountain of an issue that Epic tried to make out of it into something fairly tiny in the grand scheme of things.

Actually in the financial webcast earlier today Sony specifically pointed out the Epic Games investment as part of their gaming investments, and explained that it will be utilized for the gaming divsion but did not specify beyond that.

Yeah, even tho its helps Sony with movies and shows it should have been obvious it was also about gaming.
I'm legitimately shocked that Playstation and XBOX are bigger in terms of revenue for Fortnite than PC is. I didn't think iPhone would be bigger because it just seems like a less ideal control scheme, but I figured something like half their player base was on PC. It must be significantly smaller for them than their XBOX or Playstation sales, since Epic would get 100% of the revenue from the EGS MTX sales, as opposed to the 70-ish they get on consoles. Crazy.
Yeah, digesting the rest of the info...this is wild.

The big spenders must be on consoles.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm just speculating here, but maybe the #s are low on mobile because it's simply not as much fun to play the game that way? I know controllers for phones exist, but I would assume most people use touch controls on phone. And those that get hooked on mobile, maybe they eventually make the move to console or pc.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I understand what the point you're trying to make. If the iOS version of the game was responsible for 7% of the revenue Epic was bringing in, how is suing Apple and currently getting 0% helpful?
Because if they can temporarily sacrifice that 7% and win, it'd give them precedent to start taking away Sony's and MS' 30% they take too, even if slowly (I doubt they'd go full on like they did with Apple though), it'd be a huge win for EPIC overall.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
With PS+ you get skins/cosmetics for free on a regular basis. I assume Playstation pays Epic some good money for that. I wonder how much that deal adds to the total revenue for Fortnite on PS.

To be clear: Xbox/Nintendo/PC/Mobile does not offer this
Interesting, maybe Epic gets a cut of it even if its thru Plus?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, presumably they're arguing they would be earning a lot more on Apple's platform if not for their allegedly anticompetitive policies.

And if they win the case, they think they'd have a good argument against Microsoft and Sony too.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising since Fortnite came out first on PS4 I think? They even did that "early access but not really" BS on it.

Also explains why Epic decides to go after Apple in the lawsuit. They can't afford to offend Sony/MS/Nintendo.