IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
https://www.pcgamesn.com/lord-gaben-meme-valve-office#nnn

The floor-to-ceiling display featuring Newell's face was spotted at the end of a Valve office tour and a photo was posted on Reddit. In the same Reddit thread, a Valve employee has confirmed that the studio has not one, but two of these displays and that "they are both huge."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/9lgnh4/spotted_this_playing_at_the_end_of_my_valve_tour/

Tsr67iP.jpg

Mod Edit: This thread title has been updated for clarity.
Mod Edit #2:
It is legitimately baffling that Valve/Steam-related threads consistently devolve into nonsense.

If your response to any such thread is "LOL Valve does not make/is now making games!", don't post.
If your response to any such thread is "LOL at least Valve is finally doing something with its money/30% cut/etc.", don't post.
If your response to this post is "LOL of course he would defend Valve", tell me what you think via PM instead of cluttering this thread further. I can understand the frustration of being emotionally attached to your platform of choice, so you have my word that these messages will not be viewed through the lens of moderation.

Neither Valve nor Steam are perfect; the list of issues worth discussing is not a small one. I can and have written a chapter on how I feel about the release process, for instance. But this isn't the thread for it, because this thread is about some dumb, fun factoid that shouldn't be causing any drama whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Oh man it is way too early in the morning to see that, Well that's cool if you want a constant reminder of your fearless leader.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I still miss the rotating daily deals and flash deals on the summer/winter sales. Yes, you could miss deals.. but the sale was an event before. Its just boring now.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Should update it so the percentages are more accurate: 33%, 25%.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, uh...

I wouldn't appreciate a huge image of the head honcho in my place of work, meme or otherwise, seems a bit egotistical.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Calm down folks, it's a giant screen. They can put whatever they want up on there.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, uh...

I wouldn't appreciate a huge image of the head honcho in my place of work, meme or otherwise, seems a bit egotistical.

A little self-indulgent.

It's Valve, they're nothing but.

Where is the line between parody and self-indulgence drawn?

It's very "Dear leader"-ish.

Yeah... it's like they take that way too seriously

Everything that comes out about Valve's company culture is so offputting.

that doesn't surprise me

Normally studios put their new games on there...but this is Valve we are talking about. Meme status sounds fitting.

And if it was any company besides Valve(or EA) I might have chuckled.

But from Valve, something is off.

Z7HeRxU.png

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Valve has two huge wall displays, but reporting that is boring so the author put a more clickbait title on it?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's a screen but not a wallpaper.

It's fine then. Probably some joke memes llooped with other stuff.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like how you worded that to be as dismissive as possible?
I'm not a CCG guy myself, but most of my friends are and they seem really excited about it since the impressions are supposedly really good, so I'm happy for them.

Yeah, I am sure plenty of people will love it but the whole card-game stuff bores me to tears. Nevermind, plenty of other games out there.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
IIRC it's a screen anyone can put anything up, I've seen it play plenty of game trailers before on other visits.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You can probably change that screen with two clicks so they probably changed it to that image to amuse the people in the tour but nah, self indulgency brehs

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Here is that screen in video where you can see that they are playing trailers for upcoming games

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know what's making more money than a SP game? Dota 2, CS:GO and selling games, waiting for Artifact as well.
Im talking about fun, not money. And artistic integrity of finishing a story. I guess they dont have to care, but me as a consumer am disappointed.

Nothing stopping you from having a crack at it yourself, dude. Valve is even supportive of it.
Tell me how to get started and I'l take a crack at it. I aint got the skills, budget or a good PC so it better be a pretty in-depth tutorial.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what's making more money than a SP game? Dota 2, CS:GO and selling games, waiting for Artifact as well.

I mean sure I understand that. Impressive how a lot of other companies are perfectly capable of making a profit with single player games though.

Heck some are even capable of finishing a story they've started. Mad impressive.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Valve office has a floor-to-ceiling screen which they sometimes put memes on*

I mean sure I understand that. Impressive how a lot of other companies are perfectly capable of making a profit with single player games though.

That's a straw man. No one said you can't make a profit with single player games. They said they're making _more_ off multiplayer games. More people are playing Valve games for longer than they ever did pre-multiplayer era.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Heck some are even capable of finishing a story they've started. Mad impressive.

That's cool.

Im talking about fun, not money. And artistic integrity of finishing a story. I guess they dont have to care, but me as a consumer am disappointed.

Dota 2 and CS:GO are fun and they make money.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally all of the budget and development of Half Life 3 was allocated to that screen.