• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone been able to do multiplayer yet? If so, at what point can you group with others? Right when you get to the overworld for the first time?

Kevin Harris

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to upgrade the xbox digital version to the X/S version, my refund request was denied as I have played to many hours already.

Dec 23, 2017
Not sure why you're all having trouble (or why I'm not), but I bought the base digital edition and I'm playing the optimized for X|S copy. There's no upgrade, it's a different install.

Go to the store page for the game (from the new releases section), and in the game's page I have an option that says: "See Xbox Series X|S Version", selecting that brings me to a different store page for the optimized version with the option to install.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Not sure why you're all having trouble (or why I'm not), but I bought the base digital edition and I'm playing the optimized for X|S copy. There's no upgrade, it's a different install.

Go to the store page for the game (from the new releases section), and in the game's page I have an option that says: "See Xbox Series X|S Version", selecting that brings me to a different store page for the optimized version with the option to install.
The "issue" is that if you buy the Xbox One version, you have no option to upgrade to the Series S/X version. Is not about buying by accident (which some did, but that's separate).

No matter if you bought the game at retail or digitally, or if you bought it now in the hopes to upgrade later when you get a Series consoles: you have to buy the game again.

But the PS4 disc/digital allows to upgrade to the PS5 version.

At first it gives the impression that it was an oversight, but the FAQ specifically mentions that retails Xbox One copies can't be upgraded and makes no mention of digital. Something that while known for months, seems just weird and without an explanation.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 + 2 remake was like this. It did not support Smart Delivery and you could not upgrade the Xbox One disc versio of the game.
Yes you could. There was a free upgrade available but it was done via a "100% off discount" (for deluxe edition and something like 80% off for standard edition) for the next-gen version that only showed on the store for someone that owned the game on last-gen. Still, it was more annoying and confusing than just having smart delivery.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Got word back from Gearbox and they just said to ask 2K. 2K said to just ask Gearbox.

So apparently both parties thought the other was handling the upgrade option?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this has been a thing before, specifically with 2K titles, but I could be misremembering.
Cold War is what it reminds me of

iqzq0t50daz51.jpg

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah dude I preordered the 59.99 version on my Series X and it downloaded the Durango version and I had no option to upgrade.

You may not have the optimized version because even the Durango version on a Series X will give you a performance and resolution mode

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Got word back from Gearbox and they just said to ask 2K. 2K said to just ask Gearbox.

One would think that since 2K is the publisher, this sort of thing fits under their remit since it ties into distribution surely.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Would just keep at it since it's definitely on them that it was listed wrong. Worse comes to worse the game is at least a locked 60FPS in Performance mode and doesn't look bad if we both end up never being able to upgrade.

Lack of 4 player splitscreen will be the biggest thing missing
Well after sending some screenshots showing what I own and don't own, I asked them for a refund and they agreed to process it. Time to buy the right game now.

Just checked their store and it no longer shows the X/S optimized. Hope that helped others from making the same mistake.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

2K is a rubbish publisher in a lot of meaningful ways, and this is a real-world example of that; It's an absolutely clown-shoes move for a pub to defer a customer to the developer for a refund.

Last edited:

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I somehow missed this thread.

I've bought every Borderlands on release. I've played at LEAST 1000 hours of borderlands just by what GOG Galaxy can crosstrack.

I'm sending my physical copy of tina back and I'll buy it again later, cheaper. Maybe.

Way to go Gearbox.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Got another message from 2K saying "Our development team is working on fixing this" but it was so void of info that it probably was just a throw away response

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Got another message from 2K saying "Our development team is working on fixing this" but it was so void of info that it probably was just a throw away response

I mean….with a response like that, what do you want? An email detailing every single step of the development process of fixing it?

I think you got the best possible response. They are clearly aware and working on fixing it. It's a good response lol.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I mean….with a response like that, what do you want? An email detailing every single step of the development process of fixing it?

I think you got the best possible response. They are clearly aware and working on fixing it. It's a good response lol.

Nah, this is from the second email I sent after they said to just check the FAQ and it's definitely a template. Since it doesn't even specify what the issue being fixed is.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
There's nothing to fix for the developers though, it's entirely store side on the digital copy to provide a path to change from licence A to B.

And that functionality is available to them.

Mar 22, 2022
I don't understand, smart delivery can't be the problem here because its not mandatory.

I also believe that this isn't the same like COD because 2K could simply release to SKUs; one for the Series S|X and another for Xbox One.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
They would need to release a cross Gen upgrade DLC like Vanguard, but I hate that way of doing. By doing it like my Vanguard version for Series X doesn't appear in my libraries. Only if I go to the game page I can download it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems really weird? I thought Xbox prevented publishers from offering paid upgrades no matter what, guess its just disc versions?
I believe the requirement of Smart Delivery (which orchestrates handling and support of upgrades ) is that it must be free. Pubs that want to charge are free to create their own version. The overwhelming support for SD is due to how much of the upgrade headache is removed for Devs, but of course, for some it's an opportunity to provide false barriers to then charge at some point.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So weird that this is specifically an Xbox issue.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the standard version digitally on the Series X on Saturday and just saw this thread. I have to drop $70 on the Next Level edition if I want the Series X version and can't pay for an upgrade? Uncool.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I bought the standard version digitally on the Series X on Saturday and just saw this thread. I have to drop $70 on the Next Level edition if I want the Series X version and can't pay for an upgrade? Uncool.
Try asking for a refund if you accidentally bought the wrong version. I did that with GTAV last week (genuinely bought the wrong one) and they kindly refunded me. Had only booted it once though for 5min, not sure how much you've played.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
I have a One X and a Series X and I jump between the two depending on which room is free. Microsoft have conditioned me to believe that if I buy a game on one, it'll work on the other, and the save goes back and forth.

I do not have time for whatever this is. I've been burned once, but never again. Smart Delivery or GTFO.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

Hilariously I sent my back to amazon and then managed to grab the next level edition for less than I already paid.

Which is why they really want physical gone.

Upgrade Released
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The Digital Upgrade is now released for those who were still waiting

Buy Tiny Tina's Wonderlands: Next-Level Digital Upgrade | Xbox

For Xbox One owners of the digital version of Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands standard edition, this upgrade will unlock Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands: Next-Level Edition, giving access to the Xbox Series X|S version of the game. THIS UPGRADE WILL NOT WORK FOR OWNERS OF THE PHYSICAL VERSION OF TINY TINA’S...

pizzaparty

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
The Digital Upgrade is now released for those who were still waiting

Buy Tiny Tina's Wonderlands: Next-Level Digital Upgrade | Xbox

For Xbox One owners of the digital version of Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands standard edition, this upgrade will unlock Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands: Next-Level Edition, giving access to the Xbox Series X|S version of the game. THIS UPGRADE WILL NOT WORK FOR OWNERS OF THE PHYSICAL VERSION OF TINY TINA’S...

pizzaparty

Nice. Thanks for the heads up.