Nov 6, 2017
rSUHQly.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this is not an translation error (or typo). It is just poorly paced because the next line is "It's gonna counter attack with its laser!". I agree that it's very misleading but def. not an translation error. That there is no " at the end even indicates that the line isn't done but yeah... since usually most people have not already adjusted their text speed here, it's very unfortunate at least.

For starters it does contain a typo, using "it's" instead of "its."

And it's awkwardly phrased and ends up conveying the opposite of what it intended, so that is absolutely a translation error.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
But this is not an translation error (or typo). It is just poorly paced because the next line is "It's gonna counter attack with its laser!". I agree that it's very misleading but def. not an translation error. That there is no " at the end even indicates that the line isn't done but yeah... since usually most people have not already adjusted their text speed here, it's very unfortunate at least.
If it's misleading and that was not the original intent of the line, then it's a translation error.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
You guys maybe want to join my "fiesta"?

final-fantasy-vii_0.png

In the original Spanish translation of FF7, there were many incorrectly translated words. "Party", as in a group of people, was mistakenly translated to "fiesta", which in Spanish literally means a social gathering to celebrate an event.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Don't have a screenshot ready, but in Czech version of Mass Effect 2, "credits" (meaning currency) was famously translated as "autoři" (meaning the authors).
It's fairly obvious how that mistake was made, but it's mind-boggling that the translators weren't provided context and it wasn't caught during the localisation QA (which, if memory serves, was next to nonexistent for this particular game)

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
now that I'm home for the day I wanted to post for you guys one of my favorite hilarious translations: Download for PC Engine

Download-Game-Over-01-1.png
Download-Game-Over-02-1.png

Download-Game-Over-05-1.png
Download-Game-Over-09-1.png

more at the link above if you want to see, it's a sight to behold <3

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
For starters it does contain a typo, using "it's" instead of "its."

And it's awkwardly phrased and ends up conveying the opposite of what it intended, so that is absolutely a translation error.
If it's misleading and that was not the original intent of the line, then it's a translation error.
Maybe my understanding of translation is wrong but the pacing is bad in the OG text as well, so I would argue that it's simply badly programmed (?) per se.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You typically put an exclamation mark at the end of a sentence like this!

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone's confused, the first line of dialogue is missing a punctuation mark:
うん = Yeah/yes
うんこ = Poop
このケーキ = This cake
うんこのケーキ = Crappy cake

So the line guess from "Yes, this cake is delicious" to "The crappy cake is delicious." Japanese doesn't use spaces between words, so if you're not careful, words can run together, kind of like how speedofart.com looks like "Speedo Fart" instead of "Speed of Art".

Nov 3, 2017
In the German version of Baldur`s gate, in the opening narration (which you can both read as a text and hear spoken out loud), they correctly translated every word - except "orphan". So, the narrator says "..das ist, weil ihr ein "Orphan" seid" - as if being an orphan was some kind of medical condition or special magical ability. I found that so jarring when I first played the game - the narrator even pronounces it as if he was talking about an important plot point.

You get the feeling that they either didn`t know the word (but how could they?) or really thought it was so special that it had to stay untranslated.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Lufia for the GBC had some badly translated enemy names. Twice bad in German because apparently it was based on the English translation. So an Orc was labelled "Eiche", ie. oak. Probably because the phonetic spelling of orc in Japanese would be oaku.

Absolutely not hilarious: Metroid Prime's artifact hints were translated in a way that the highlighted hint words of two hints did not match the room names anymore and instead referenced completely different rooms. Especially bad in the case of the artifact in the lava lake with two pillars in it because there are two rooms like that and the hint referenced the wrong one.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
A cute localization error in Shantae on the Switch (German Localization)

JoEyhLR.jpg

The last line in the ability description obviously says "Press L to Dash!" in the original.
But it was translated into german rather ... literally. Where the game clearly means "dash" as in "swift horizontal movement", the German text reads "Press L to hyphen" (as in, the punctuation mark)

5Ilb24n.png

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
More!

I suspect there are more than a few perusers of Legends of Localization

sucking baby is the best one

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Could dedicate a thread just to Koei Tecmo's shitty translations.

lydiewtfwvjb5.jpg

No clue what the hell this is supposed to say, from Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

Another one I thought of, but can't find, is Tales of Berseria seems to use speech-to-text for some of the dialog that went horribly wrong in one skit.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
One of my favorite video game quotes of all time:

"I always wanted a thing called tuna sasimi."

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Maybe my understanding of translation is wrong but the pacing is bad in the OG text as well, so I would argue that it's simply badly programmed (?) per se.

No, it's very clear from the original Japanese text that he's not done talking after the first line.
The exclamation point at the end of the first line in English makes it sound like he's giving a direct order.

images

Resume (game) = work history = curriculum vitae. This is not the first time I see it either.

Oh my god yes, I've seen this one before as well.
"Resume game" being translated as "履歴ゲーム" (CV game) in Japanese.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Harvest Moon 64's title screen, for the double-whammy of "Push the START" and publisher Natsume spelling their own name wrong:

harvest-moon-64-title-screen.png
Easy mistake, as some people transliterate ツ as tu if using the older Kunrei-shiki romaji system, whereas most people would use tsu now under Hepburn, at least those in the west.

Similarly there's many issues with the character シ being romanized as shi or si.