• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is a Thing?

• MacReady is a Thing

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • Childs is a Thing

Votes: 105 25.6%
  • Both are Things

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • Neither are Things

Votes: 190 46.3%
  • Stop saying Thing

Votes: 69 16.8%

• Total voters

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I love the "Childs drinks gasoline" theory.

I feel like MacReady's knowing smile after Childs takes a swig kind of confirms it.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt that neither of them were The Thing, that they'd successfully killed it and now both of them were going to slowly freeze to death because they were suspicious of the other to the point where they'd be unwilling to help each other.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Play the video game to find out!

I think Childs is a Thing - I like the drinking gasoline theory.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Carpenter said that Childs is the Thing because he isn't exhaling his breath in the cold unlike MacReady?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part is most people's favorite part. The testing scene. You think it's the last person up for testing. It's always the last person. But nope.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Carpenter said that Childs is the Thing because he isn't exhaling his breath in the cold unlike MacReady?

No, he's never explained it. Knowing the ending would basically undermine why the ending is so good. It leaves plenty of room for suspicion around Childs in particular but, like MacReady, we really can't know for sure.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt that neither of them were The Thing, that they'd successfully killed it and now both of them were going to slowly freeze to death because they were suspicious of the other to the point where they'd be unwilling to help each other.

To be fair, I don't think there was any escape for them, teamwork be damned, at that point.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I prefer this interpretation, too. That, or one will kill the other out of suspicion either and still freeze to death.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I prefer to believe it's just two humans we watch freeze to death in a state of mutual distrust.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, neither are the thing unless you really like The Things by Watts, in which case Childs is, lol.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Such a masterclass of horror. Absolutely agree with you OP, it's the GOAT
As someone who just watched this on the big screen on Wednesday, you can definitely see Child's breath.

Personally I think they're both human because if Child's was the Thing I 'm not sure why he would have refrained from murdering/absorbing Macready right there.
I like the game enough that I still consider it Canon lol.
I remember loving that as a kid. I wonder if there's even a slim possibility we could get a remaster some day because I don't remember the plot at all.

starlesbian

Unshakable Resolve
May 6, 2021
the ending works because of its ambiguity but i personally like to believe that both are human. the idea that their trust of each other has been eroded to the point where they'll freeze, trapped in doubt, is chilling and fits perfectly with the movie's themes. but it should never be provable!!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
John Carpenter has stated that the PS2 game's ending is canon where Childs is found frozen to death and MacReady is rescued by a search team.

Nayenezgani

Jan 16, 2021
In the context of the cold war and M.A.D. neither are the thing and they both die in distrust of the other. I personally think any other media made post the films production and the release can kind of fuck off into the sun, as they don't contain the bleak nihilism that was coursing through NATO and the USSR at the time, and as such may not be souless, they certainly don't have the same soul.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Personally I think they're both human because if Child's was the Thing I 'm not sure why he would have refrained from murdering/absorbing Macready right there.

I remember loving that as a kid. I wonder if there's even a slim possibility we could get a remaster some day because I don't remember the plot at all.

I feel like if someone REALLY wanted to re-release it they could. The rights shouldn't be that hard to work out

- Universal has already worked with people like Nightdive on IPs they own
- Konamo (Publisher) is open to whatever really as long as there's a check for them
- Black Label Games was a sub of Vivendi Universal who got rolled into Activision which should go into MS after the acquistion

So in theory. if someone got Universal, Konami, and MS in a room. Someone could re-release it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter, the ambiguity is what makes the ending so good.

However, gun to my head I'd say both are human.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Today is the 40th anniversary of John Carpenter's "The Thing" — which means it's a great opportunity to litigate the ending. So what do you think? Was "The Thing" real or was it all just a dream?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
That's Blade Runner.

I knew about those two but they used the same trick in The Thing. From Cinemablend:

Dean Cundey has been a cinematographer for a very long time, being responsible for such films as Jurassic Park and the Back to the Future sequels. He also shot John Carpenter's The Thing. Recently, the man was interviewed by Blumhouse as part of the new 4K Blu-Ray release for The Thing. During the interview, Cundey was asked if he used any subtle photography cues to explain anything about The Thing. At first, Cundey did not answer, but then, during the blood scene, he said something quite interesting:

"So we were looking for some kind of a subtle way, to say which one of these (men) might be human. You'll notice there's always an eye light, we call it, a little gleam in the eye of the actor. It gives life."

But apparently they didn't so at the end because Carpenter didn't want to give the game away.

Carpenter told Cundey not to use it for the ending.

Good choice on his part too. The ambiguity makes it way more interesting.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
I went on a date with a girl who had never seen this to one of the anniversary showings this week and she was terrified, lol.

I figured both were human, I like that the videogame sequel also followed that belief.

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017
Both are probably fine as far as being infected by The Thing, but neither of them are making it out alive irregardless, so it still isn't a happy ending. Also Carpenter's The Thing is about as perfect as a movie can be.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
There was a Darkhorse comic series for the Thing From Another World that continued directly after the movie ended and answered this question in full and went on to tell another larger story as well.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a few theories that try to imply Childs is the creature, but I love the idea that both are human and have lost all sense of faith in their fellow human because what they've faced has made them question everything.

Oct 29, 2017
Both being humans and eventually end up killing each other because they are incapable of trusting the other is just about the perfect resolution for the themes of the movie, more so than one of them being the monster.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I've seen a few theories that try to imply Childs is the creature, but I love the idea that both are human and have lost all sense of faith in their fellow human because what they've faced has made them question everything.

I like the idea that one of them is in fact the Thing but a) has absorbed enough humans to basically have some understanding of their thoughts and emotions etc, and b) knows that he's just gonna freeze to death anyway and can't assimilate further, so he's just like fuck it and sits down for a nice fireside chat and shares a drink.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was a Darkhorse comic series for the Thing that continued directly after the movie ended and answered this question in full and went on to tell another larger story as well.
You mean that one that
MacReady went completely paranoid?
latest

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
It really does matter, and that's the point. It is supposed to make you think.
The point is the paranoia, the point is to entice the question. The answer doesn't matter.
Ambiguous fiction is made so that you may have 'forking paths' for a story. There is not one absolute truth. Its pointless to argue about what's the most correct answer.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The point is the paranoia, the point is to entice the question. The answer doesn't matter.
Ambiguous fiction is made so that you may have 'forking paths' for a story. There is not one absolute truth. Its pointless to argue about what's the most correct answer.
The answer does matter or people wouldn't be trying to figure it out at all.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
The answer does matter or people wouldn't be trying to figure it out at all.

I think the point Grenouille is making is there is no actual answer. You can speculate of course and argue which you think is best, but it's purposefully ambiguous. It's like the ending to Inception. There's nothing to really figure out.