• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
When you move past just liking an anime or video game or whatever, and move into liking anime or video games specifically because they are Japanese.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
Are there other cultures/countries that have a derogatory term associated with outsiders who like something from that place (especially a term like weeb made by people outside the culture in question)? There are Francophiles etc but that doesn't have a negative connotation at all.

The only example that springs to mind for me is teaboo to refer to people obsessed with a very specific idea of british culture informed by the media they consume. Usually stuff like Sherlock and Dr Who.

Either way fetishising an entire culture based on a tv show or cartoon you've seen is weird. Maybe don't do that.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a white person thing (I believe the original insult was wapanese) or can anyone be a weeb and are the criteria for qualification the same for all non-Japanese regardless of race (including other east Asians)?
I'd be hard pushed to called other East Asian weebs, there is a lot of cross cultural things across different countries, anime and manga are mainstream and arguably the main cultural export from Japan.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I always understood as people - obviously not from Japan - who have some sort of romanticised/idealised view of Japanese culture and people, which borders obsession, and it is usually shaped by anime.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
"Man. Did you see Elfenlied? It is an anime and totally not for kids! Watch it! You will learn to love anime!!!"

"Yui-san is such a baka! I went to the Toshokan with her and man, she got on my nerves, dayo ne?"

"Anime is far better than trash western animation. Just look at Adventure Time. Looks like drawn by a kid. Now look at Attack on Titan. It goes into depth of what death and life is, what rebirth is. It has so many philosophical themes!"

"Japanese culture is far better. They care about family and just live their life! I wish I would be Japanese."

maxresdefault.jpg
[

rsz_10-17.jpg

feccb2ed431c7ed4a11d17012a7155b81658847b51e2b23074980e47de941d70_1.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either derogatorily - Someone who is really annoying about liking Japanese things

or playfully - Like calling a close pal a "nerd" or "geek".

Specifically non-Asian people.

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've never heard this word. Oh god I must be old, but maybe it's because I don't know anyone into Japanese cartoons.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Originally it's for people who are obsessed with Japanese culture to the point where they think it's the one superior culture and tries too damn hard to integrate into it.

These days anything remotely Japanese gets labelled Weeb which I assume is because people gotten too lazy to use "Otaku" and Weeb is just easier and faster to reach for.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A person who's super into anime/manga/J-pop/games/figurines etc. or any of the related subcultures and geeky stuff is a weeb.

A person who's into Japanese history, philosophy, traditional art, or other aspects of the mainstream culture is more of a Japanophile.

A person who says "waifu" or "husbando" is scum of the earth.
Do you consider your appreciation of anime your defining personality trait? Then you are a weeb.
Yes to both of these
Either derogatorily - Someone who is really annoying about liking Japanese things

or playfully - Like calling a close pal a "nerd" or "geek".

Specifically non-Asian people.
Why non asian? Plenty of asian weebs in western countries

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I can also attest to the existence of Asian weebs, not only in the West, but in Asia as well. Met a number of Indonesian and Filipino weebs. Wonderful people. Still weebs.

Jun 24, 2019
To me, the definition of weeb is someone who fetishises Japanese culture from being exposed to anime.

I was friends with a couple of weebs back in my days. They use "Chan" or "Kun" suffix with my name constantly, throw out Japanese greetings, ate western food with chopsticks...

source.gif

The new wave of weebs are known as weeblets, as my brother likes to refer them.

Those who found a calling to anime with a now increasing exposure in the West.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't see people made fun of as francophiles or w/e because French cinema fans or w/e don't take up nearly as much space in the internet culture sphere. Japan obviously makes most (or all, if you're a pedant) anime and a huge chunk of the video game industry, both backbones of early and current internet dwellers.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, I don't think it's still used in its original context.

But I always knew weeb to mean "Japanophile whose only understanding of japan comes from shallow impressions from anime"

Basically a weeaboo isn't somebody who likes anime

Nor is a weeaboo a japanophile

A weeaboo is a japanophile purely because of their love of anime

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes to both of these

Why non asian? Plenty of asian weebs in western countries

I can only speak for myself and my experience with other Asian Americans.

Japanese media is already so prevalent and ingrained in the countries our families are from, or the stores we go to from a young age. It's not really foreign to quite the same degree. Like Tamiya models, Gundam, and Saint Seya aren't really "Hey check out this thing that is specifically from Japan and is distinct from western media". Same with a lot of Japanese candy and food.

I assume Hello Kitty is kind of like that for most western people, because it's so popular. We're definitely moving toward a point where all media is international, but there's still a fetishization(? Poor/exaggerated wording, but I think it makes sense) of 𝒥𝒶𝓅𝒶𝓃𝑒𝓈𝑒 𝑀𝑒𝒹𝒾𝒶, in specific. Like do you know how upset the weebs get when you call a western animation an "Anime"?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Does it include people who like to drop their Hentai/R34 knowledge casually regardless of if anyone wants to/is comfortable hearing it. Or is that more of an otaku/internet culture thing?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
You need to have at least 5 figure (with 3 mandatory underage girls), one katana replica and 3 anime shirts at home to be qualified.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Either:

1. Someone who consumes almost nothing but Japanese media (think 80-100% of what they do) or thinks Japanese media is superior to everything for stupid reasons.
  2. Someone who inserts random Japanese lingo into regular English conversation.
  3. People who violently refuse to call a show by its translated name, even if it's in the title.

At least for me. I used to consider people who watch anime in general weebs but anime has gotten so big, that it's pretty normal to have watched some at one point.
Number 3 is annoying. We are both talking in English, there is an English name, why are you calling it by its Japanese name? It comes off as putting Japanese things on a pedestal and superiority. It's not far from when white supremacists praise Japan for being a homogenous, ultra conservative country with no outside influences or "SJW" stuff.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
weebs are the product of the western gaze of Japanese culture through the lens of techo-orientalism

Jun 24, 2019
Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's an exact definition for it but if you get into hardcore figure collection you're pretty weebish imo. There's a couple of girls I follow on Twitter who occasionally post these fully explicit nude anime girl figures that they've bought and I think if you're that far in you've gotta be a weeb.

Maybe cosplay as well, basically taking your appreciation of anime to realms outside of just watching anime. Not anime style avatars though, that's what I do for 90% of the time so that can't be weebish.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also, man, I don't think we should be calling someone who married someone Japanese a weeb as referenced in the OP

It depends on why they married said Japanese person.

Mutual respect, love, and understanding: Fine

Because of exoticness or thinking Japanese women are submissive: Beyond weeb and into dumbass scumbag territory.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I define weebs as foreigners who fetishize or are obsessed with Japanese culture as the best and their only exposure of it is through anime. They also tend to interject chan and kun into their everyday language. They may have shelves of figures, wall posters, cosplay, and body pillows.
Nice room, he's a huge Fate fan. Total weeb, but its organized and clean.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
A Weeabo is just a person who is obsessed with anime and Japanese culture to an unhealthy degree. Normal people who just like the medium aren't weebs

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017

Because of exoticness or thinking Japanese women are submissive: Beyond weeb and into dumbass scumbag territory.
lol i mean it's pretty dedicated to marry someone in the hopes they turn into the anime waifu of your dreams

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018

My older brother has waxed rhapsodic almost his whole adult life on how much he desires a nice, submissive Japanese wife. Fortunately, he's still very much single in his mid-40s because no woman--Japanese or otherwise--wants to date his pathetic ass.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

Don't identify as your hobbies is always a good place to start.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

There's literally nothing weeb about marrying a Japanese person in the first place. There are two legitimate reasons to get married. To scam for taxes or because of love.