• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Where would one find the icon for the upcoming (currently) Japanese exclusive Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball?

6c78309836b061448147143bc3d8eedfef855d571d517841274af13cde80082f.jpg

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I played a bit of Wii U games a few days ago, and was shocked to see all those icons without a title.
Unless I'm unlucky and somehow got most of them, it seems it was actually a trend at the time. Even Smash or New Mario Bros U don't have their title.
Now I feel bad that I didn't even care at the time, but man it's really awful and Switch is a bless by comparison.
VC games' icons are pretty great though.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I played a bit of Wii U games a few days ago, and was shocked to see all those icons without a title.
Unless I'm unlucky and somehow got most of them, it seems it was actually a trend at the time. Even Smash or New Mario Bros U don't have their title.
Now I feel bad that I didn't even care at the time, but man it's really awful and Switch is a bless by comparison.
titles and icons like these here make absolutely no sense for Wii U (or 3DS). They worked fine as they were.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
titles and icons like these here make absolutely no sense for Wii U (or 3DS). They worked fine as they were.
They obviously do on 3DS and couldn't be that much different anyway, mostly because of the 240p screen limitation.
I don't really agree for Wii U though; of course it's a different case where icons are a bit smaller than on Switch, but it still makes them look like mobile apps and not look good. It's even more disturbing when VC icons are displayed next to them with their title included.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

This shit was beautiful :p
vKbmONq.png

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with the Wii U's icons. Unlike Switch icons they are consistent.

It was also cute that the box art would include them on the spine.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Right in da feelz. So good. Weird I won't accept it on Switch though. Probably the consistency.
It's the size and framing/presentation. Switch is like a wall of posters. Wii U's and 3DS' menu is like cells/buttons to press on, designed to be touched. Hence the mobile-device-like icons and their glass bubble frames feeling more natural and perfectly fine.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
It's the size and framing/presentation. Switch is like a wall of posters. Wii U's and 3DS' menu is like cells/buttons to press on, designed to be touched. Hence the mobile-device-like icons and their glass bubble frames feeling more natural and perfectly fine.
I think that is indeed the perfect summary and explanation for it. Size.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Icons of the week

myfriendpedroxskzl.jpg
rollinggunnerz3kdx.jpg
catanxfjw4.jpg
musedash8cknp.jpg
citizensofspacexyjeg.jpg

scraprushink4m.jpg
anothersight2kksa.jpg
cybarianthetimetravellakwp.jpg
slenderthearrival9wkpw.jpg
seakingwhkhv.jpg

bladeii-thereturnofeviqkov.jpg
thechildssightwyjlt.jpg
dukeofdefense4gkg3.jpg
queensquest3theendofdnvk95.jpg
minerwarfareipk7k.jpg

crashteamracingnitro-z7krb.jpg
arcadearchiveswildwestjjek.jpg
foresthomennksr.jpg
scrapnnj9l.jpg
zombl3jp1.jpg

homeescapebhju3.jpg
boxingchampshzkzf.jpg
wordmesh18jt8.jpg

- Japan

yo-kaiwatch4bokurawao2pjgw.jpg
summerpockets5okgr.jpg
hanayakanariwagaichizfskw9.jpg

- No Logo

secretfiles2puritasconej84.jpg
mainlining9sjd0.jpg
captaincatz2kxn.jpg
drivingschooloriginalyejh3.jpg
dungeondinnerfushiginsdjq0.jpg

Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
Mainlining
Captain Cat
Driving School Original
Dungeon Dinner ~Fushigina Meikyuu no Bukimina Ryouri~ (Japan)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, its the size first and then lack of consistency. Wii U was putting 15 icons on the screen, Switch puts 4. The tiles are much bigger on the Switch, so the simple images and no titles don't look nearly as good.

I think the issue is that some developers treat Nintendo's tiles like they are for a phone or other display that lists tons of icons (and where the title is underneath the tile).

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
crashteamracingnitro-z7krb.jpg

Props to Activision for actually going with this icon instead of the initial one shown.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Pretty cool to see some massive shake-ups in the 2019 top 10 at Robin's site. Collection of Mana taking first place, DQ Builders 2 in second, Devil Engine jumping to 5th, Cinders and The Red Strings Club entering the top 10 too (two beautiful icons btw).

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have now put my WorldEnd Syndrome cartridge in the Switch and...
2271.png
Well, now I understand what having such a bad icon in the home of the Switch means...

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I have now put my WorldEnd Syndrome cartridge in the Switch and...
2271.png
Well, now I understand what having such a bad icon in the home of the Switch means...

Even worse that, once again, websites use a far better alternative that someone at the company had to make and submit but decided not to use as the Switch's icon.

SQ_NSwitch_WorldendSyndrome_image500w.jpg

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Even worse that, once again, websites use a far better alternative that someone at the company had to make and submit but decided not to use as the Switch's icon.

SQ_NSwitch_WorldendSyndrome_image500w.jpg
The fact that they have another image ready - and perfect - to be the Switch icon is even worse. I just suppose at this point that there are some wrong/difficult-to-understand guidelines about how submitting the icons, since the best images are uploaded on the games websites.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I love that it seems to have something cropped out in the bottom left corner too.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I tried searching for WorldEnd Syndrome on Google images to see if I could find out what the icon for it actually is, but nothing seems to show it all. Wanted to see if it was part of a bigger picture or something. Does it show up in-game?

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
I tried searching for WorldEnd Syndrome on Google images to see if I could find out what the icon for it actually is, but nothing seems to show it all. Wanted to see if it was part of a bigger picture or something. Does it show up in-game?

I guess is the logo of Zettai Zatsumei Panda, an idol group from the game. But I haven't seen the logo itself in-game.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So I'm not really a regular to this thread, but I do look in on it from time to time, and... the number of times there's been a garbage icon on the Switch while a really high-quality icon exists elsewhere really makes me wonder if there's some sort of submission problem and that it's not just devs uploading a lazy icon. Has this been addressed before?

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not really a regular to this thread, but I do look in on it from time to time, and... the number of times there's been a garbage icon on the Switch while a really high-quality icon exists elsewhere really makes me wonder if there's some sort of submission problem and that it's not just devs uploading a lazy icon. Has this been addressed before?

I think the main misunderstanding is that Nintendo named them icons. When you think about icons, you think about the typical icons of windows desktop or smartphones.
A name like game art or cover art, surely it would make understand better to some developers which image to choose.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Took a while to search for the right thing, but eventually I found a 512x512 version:

Badass, thanks man!

Only thing I've seen is this.

But generally, if the icon doesn't then change afterwards, then I would say that there was no mistake and it's the one they wanted up there.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think the main misunderstanding is that Nintendo named them icons. When you think about icons, you think about the typical icons of windows desktop or smartphones.
A name like game art or cover art, surely it would make understand better to some developers which image to choose.
But the devs know what the system UI looks like and what icon is being displayed on their devkit unit which uses the exact same home menu UI. I see no world in which they're confused about this. :(

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Just asked We. The Revolution. devs to see if they change it. I can't stand the current one… :P

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
But the devs know what the system UI looks like and what icon is being displayed on their devkit unit which uses the exact same home menu UI. I see no world in which they're confused about this. :(

I think many developers choose the first icon that they find of other versions and don't change it anymore. Even if it looks like a turd on big screen.
This happens mainly with late ports. (And Sonic Mania)