• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
DAAAAAMN... I saw South Park: stick of truth on sale and I couldn't resist.

Such a disappointment after seeing the game icon 😭

For sure you were all aware about it considering how old is the game... why no text whyyyyy

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
DAAAAAMN... I saw South Park: stick of truth on sale and I couldn't resist.

Such a disappointment after seeing the game icon 😭

For sure you were all aware about it considering how old is the game... why no text whyyyyy
giphy.gif

''tis a sad day, my commiserations friend.
May your gameplay be fun and your delete be swift.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused. I thought I saw earlier in this thread that Deadly Premonitions Origins received a new icon, but when I try updated the game it says I'm using the most recent form of the software and the icon is the old one. 🤔

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit confused. I thought I saw earlier in this thread that Deadly Premonitions Origins received a new icon, but when I try updated the game it says I'm using the most recent form of the software and the icon is the old one. 🤔

Apparently only the digital version got a new icon as the digital and physical were published by two separate publishers

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i assume you had the physical version published by aksys. the update for that is out now (1.0.2 with the new icon). now all three SKUs are updated.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With Deadly Premonition Origins being finally fixed, there's only Resident Evil 4 and Sonic Mania ruining my Switch logo grid. Goddammit, Capcom and Sega.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
skyrim will be the last holdout, i know it.

edit: the games on my switch that need their icons fixed
- octopath traveler
- gris
- crash trilogy

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Updated Carrion icon is nice indeed. Love the text popping under the monster on the right 👍

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, that's a good touch, and shows you can do more than "title slapped on top of an image" while still having the title.
Definitely. Though I can understand why time isn't poured into them beyond ensuring they're nice, there's a lot of scope for creativity within that square and it's place on the home screen. Like the Death Squared team and having that and OTTTD line up when next to each other. Much of design is caring about the minutiae and it's nice to see when people get those smaller more subtle details in.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
imo it's pretty clear that icons are meant to replace box art. I know some people never cared about box art either, but it.'s easier to explain than just calling it an icon. People associate "icon" with phone apps, while on the Switch they're massive, and for digital releases they're effectively the cover for the game.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this but I'm still frustrated about that one dude

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
imo it's pretty clear that icons are meant to replace box art. I know some people never cared about box art either, but it.'s easier to explain than just calling it an icon. People associate "icon" with phone apps, while on the Switch they're massive, and for digital releases they're effectively the cover for the game.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this but I'm still frustrated about that one dude
I'm with you, had a similar thought to that soon after the launch of the Switch. Used to call them tiles before icon became the dominant word, because of how large they were and that it was a step removed from app and software icons. As you say though; I don't think the distinction would dampen those that don't see the icon/tile as a considered element and thus see the nuance to it as being superfluous. Nice to share a thought in common all the same. Have a cheeky feel-good illustration I stumbled upon recently to help bump a smile onto the face.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm with you, had a similar thought to that soon after the launch of the Switch. Used to call them tiles before icon became the dominant word, because of how large they were and that it was a step removed from app and software icons. As you say though; I don't think the distinction would dampen those that don't see the icon/tile as a considered element and thus see the nuance to it as being superfluous. Nice to share a thought in common all the same. Have a cheeky feel-good illustration I stumbled upon recently to help bump a smile onto the face.

haha, I appreciate it. And "tiles" definitely suits them better imo

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Fight Crab is available for preloading in Japan. I found the icon on Twitter (source @kuri65300375):

SlKhVdT.jpg

Was hoping for a seal-riding shot, but this is not bad.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco is other company that nail the icons. Captain Tsubasa looks very good.

f152d5b9296e14bb85d1621kie.jpg

Last edited: