• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2018
And another offender: We. The Revolution.

2280.png

vs the one at Nintendo's website…

Sigh…
I was looking into this game the other day actually, then I searched for the icon on Robin's site...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This Nintendo Online tickets deal combined with the SMM2 news had me jump for it, looks great.

img_20190516_0223076bj8w.jpg

I totally didn't get Yoshi 95% because of the icon...

iag

Oct 27, 2017
With Fire Emblem and Astral Chain on eShop (guess they are new?) is to possible to retrieve their icons too?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
With Fire Emblem and Astral Chain on eShop (guess they are new?) is to possible to retrieve their icons too?

Both have been on the eShop for a while now, but they're not on the CDN yet, which is what you need to grab an icon.

If you view the page source for game, near the top are lots of tags with values assigned.

There needs to be a tag called "offdeviceNsuID" with a value of something other than "not_defined".

Assassin's Creed III, for example, is "70010000010682". With these we can mine the icon even though the game isn't yet available for purchase.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This Nintendo Online tickets deal combined with the SMM2 news had me jump for it, looks great.

img_20190516_0223076bj8w.jpg

I totally didn't get Yoshi 95% because of the icon...

Very tempted to cop Yoshi. It'd be either that or Pokemon SS. Not sure any other first party games are must-haves for me, now or the rest of the year.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
After buying Wasteland 2 I'm putting my foot down and committing to no purchases on bad icons, it's awful.

Marvel UA3 Icon is awesome, tempted to preorder but waiting for the Fire Emblem one to launch so I can get another pair of NOS tickets.

also..

S U N D A Y

will be posting.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's neat! Nice work Robin64
That would be a little bland, no? There's beauty in variety and the homogenisation of the Switch menu isn't necessarily a good thing. Sure, those guidelines might combat usability issues, but making all icons fully compliant won't necessarily make the menu screen less 'ugly' and there are plenty of games which follow the rules with uninspiring results.
There's zero reason to suggest having a logo as part of your icon results in bland icons or a lack of variety. Some of the more creative icons we've seen to date have had logos.

Also the point of "sure it might have usability reasons but that doesn't mean it'll make it less ugly" is one I don't really follow at all. Nor is the fact that you can have a bad icon that features art and a logo a reason against including either.

Cool to see the article but some of the points are questionable.

Many developers might argue that the minimalism of a classy, logo-less icon is far more attractive than some key art with the game title pasted in.
Many developers might be wrong.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a lot of the comments for that article are trash. It's not hard to understand that people just want things to look nice. Also I notice people are often dismissive by saying this was never a problem before. GameCube, the first Nintendo console to use icons for games hid them away, requiring you to go into the console settings and launch the game from there. Wii games was the first time icons became important to a Nintendo system and, as far as I know, every single game featured a title for their channel icon. The worst thing they could be was boringly animated. (I rather miss seeing a screen full of all these moving icons which blared out a little jingle when you selected one.) DS, 3DS and Wii U all had basic square icons so had no room for titles, they were still uniform however. Switch is the first to have this clash of two different styles. It's also the first system that keeps an icon of every game you've played even when you've taken the game cart out - it's very much wanting to show you your complete collection digitally.

I think comparing it to the album art of your music collection is very apt. There are those who will be lazy and not care about proper tagging and every cover is just a default 🎵 , whereas other will be very particular and want everything exact (and if some album art is ugly you could always replace it with your own 😊). Just because you don't care how things look doesn't mean those that do are crazy. I'm sure someone will point out there are album covers that have no words on them, but good luck trying to convince me your icon to your unknown property is as iconic as The Dark Side of the Moon. (I actually didn't mind Super Meat Boy's original wordless icon since they've used that iconigraphy since the beginning of that game's development, but that game is very much an exception).

One comment on the NintendoLife article called this a meme. Dude, get lost.
I've noticed the word meme being used more and more to describe pretty much anything. Yes, broadly speaking, a shared line of thinking amongst a community is a meme, but I highly doubt those using it as a substitute for phrases like 'argument', ' line of thinking', 'slang' etc are actually aware of the scientific origins of the word.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Rewriting some of this before posting in a few hours and I'm sat here grateful I have a community to care about Switch icons with

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are Squeenix ever going to bother with updating the Octopath Traveler logo? It's terrible. :(

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I've made peace with title-only icons like Undertale and Octopath.

I'm far less tolerant of icons with weird pixelated images and no title, and garbage like the RE4 icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.