Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone's covered the visual references, but I loved the musical cues. The credits theme has a small bit of the SMB2 (USA) melody, plus a few notes from Captain Toad (when Keegan-Michael Key's name pops up).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
kamek dressed up as peach could have been a reference to M&L dream team? basically
It was a reference to NSMB Wii

hs5wk7ao2dj71.png

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Was the guy playing the arcade cab in the pizzeria supposed to be Mario Segale?

I assumed it was but nobody ITT mentioned it so maybe I'm wrong.

OP
OP
chairhome

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
- the sewer sign with "Level 1-2" is a nod to that stage being an underground stage in SMB 1.
- the sign looks like its styled after the original Nintendo Headquarters sign
This is what I'm talking about:
nintendosign.jpg

[/quote]
- Not an easter egg, but they included Iwata in the credits <3
fwuCLb0.jpg

There was a car wash in Brooklyn near the end with the Balloon Fight sprite, a restaurant with the Duck Hunt Duck and one store I forgot with the Ice Climber Polar Bear.
The Duck Hunt restaurant actually says Duck Hunt in French (Chasse au Canard)
The store I think was called Ice Pop or something like that. The bear also makes an appearance on a poster in mario's room!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad King Bob-Omb showed up, I've wanted to see him become a more established character and between this, his playable status in Tour and Golf I'm getting my wish.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost certain the dog encounter is based on some story that Miyamoto had that inspired Bowser. Could be wrong though

edit: I'm full of shit, the dog inspired Chain Chomp, Bowser was based on an ox.(?) Never heard that before
The ox from the film Alakazam the Great IIRC.

Surprised they didn't include a Korean restaurant in one scene advertising the dish Koopa was named for (and throwing in the other dishes Miyamoto considered for a name)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wave Race is on the news ticker, with the main character named dropped as the champion, despite average stats.
Recently I felt since that series and 1080 Snowboarding are dead it'd be pretty cool to introduce the Hayami siblings into Mario Kart as guest characters, with a more Mario-esque design.

IIRC Mario Kart and those games share a ton of staff. Same with the N64 Pilotwing characters...Nester in Mario Kart would rock.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Makers Builders hat on construction workers

Firdt building clients. Windows were made to match Tetris Blocks.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the final battle there's a sign for a "Soda Popinski" bar or restaurant.
In the same sequence, there's also a blurry "Gyro Market" banner for a restaurant that might have had a Gyromite top on it.

Dec 30, 2020
Final one, and I'm not ENTIRELY sure about this one, but that first modern building they get their first job in..

photo-diary-of-my-recent-1-day-vacation-in-decentraland-the-v0-e851914hcpga1.jpg

Immediately made me think of the Modern Mario houses for sale all over Decentraland. It just immediately made me think, "wait, is that the damn modern house with Mario art assets people are trying to sell for bitcoin over and over??"

Dec 30, 2020
Everyone's covered the visual references, but I loved the musical cues. The credits theme has a small bit of the SMB2 (USA) melody, plus a few notes from Captain Toad (when Keegan-Michael Key's name pops up).
When DK is first defeated and ALMOST falls to his doom, it plays the ominous old Donkey Kong arcade music.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
The Captain Toad theme also pops up when Toad introduces himself to Mario

The musical cues, some of which were just momentary glimpses were nice: I caught the Bowser's Fury one, the Luigi's Mansion, SMB2, SMB3 ground theme in the first apartment with the dog, and obviously things like the DK/Mario Kart/Rainbow Road motifs. My kid was yelling when the Yoshis came on, so missed out on exactly what that motif was.

Having Gusty Garden in the credits just seemed like Tyler going "yeah, this really doesn't fit with any of what happened in the movie, but the theme is TOO damn good to pass on an opportunity."

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
During the montage when the gang head to the Kong jungle, was that last world with those rock spires based on a level?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Lol I knew I've seen two characters pull that dual kick move before. I couldn't place it
Yeah, I was thinking My Hero Academia. But it was totally Asuka and Shinji's dual kick.

Final one, and I'm not ENTIRELY sure about this one, but that first modern building they get their first job in..

Immediately made me think of the Modern Mario houses for sale all over Decentraland. It just immediately made me think, "wait, is that the damn modern house with Mario art assets people are trying to sell for bitcoin over and over??"

Wow, I'm glad someone else thought that

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When all the characters are about to be sacrificed in lava, DK saves them, yet we don't see the penguins again for the rest of the movie, implying they got a terrible death, just like when players throwed the penguins to their doom in Super Mario 64.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
When Mario and Luigi bust through the brick wall in the sewers, the hole they leave behind is shaped like this:

153-1530370_pixel-mario-hd-png-download.png

MilkshakeV2

Jul 9, 2020
The musical cues, some of which were just momentary glimpses were nice: I caught the Bowser's Fury one, the Luigi's Mansion, SMB2, SMB3 ground theme in the first apartment with the dog, and obviously things like the DK/Mario Kart/Rainbow Road motifs. My kid was yelling when the Yoshis came on, so missed out on exactly what that motif was.

Having Gusty Garden in the credits just seemed like Tyler going "yeah, this really doesn't fit with any of what happened in the movie, but the theme is TOO damn good to pass on an opportunity."
hearing gusty garden was so cool and a great way to bookend the experience of just seeing all this awesome childhood stuff on screen

when i came home after i began huffing copium and thinking it was a hint that part 2 will be galaxy

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
One of the Toads told Mario that the princess was in another castle

Idk if anyone else caught that

But honestly I'm legit upset that they used the rocket barrel from Returns but don't use the Gear Getaway theme

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The underground chamber (Warp Zone?) is reminiscent of under the Clock Tower in Majora's Mask

It serves the same purpose and I just get that vibe

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Any SMRPG references? I had my eyes peeled but didn't spot anything. I'll even take Paper Mario references as a consolation.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any SMRPG references? I had my eyes peeled but didn't spot anything. I'll even take Paper Mario references as a consolation.
I feel the final battle between Mario and Luigi and Bowser some attacks took inspiration from the Bros. Attacks in the Mario and Luigi serie, but I'm too lazy to look for evidence.

The toad dialogue reminded me a lot of the Mario RPG's, too.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
Not long after Mario first gets to the Mushroom Kingdom and into the town area, the camera pans across and there is a Crazy Cap store from Mario Odyssey