• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
NES emulation for a game that uses no mappers, like Super Mario Bros., is 100% cycle-accurate and there is no difference compared to playing on a real console. As for controller, what happens once the final NES controller breaks? They are not being built anymore. Might as well allow any input method now as long as it doesn't do anything the original controller can't. (Setting aside that the communities for some games that require constant mashing of the same button now allow turbo so that their hands aren't destroyed.)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The speedrunning community itself is the ultimate authority on stuff like this. If they're good with emulators and M+KB, then I'm good.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I think it's bizarre for sure. I feel like actual console and controller should be mandatory - but also, it doesn't matter. It's just a weird thing that I don't see with other games (though I really only pay attention to Super Metroid)
Honestly, too many rules and regulations kill speedrun communities. See how the Doom speedrunning scene was dead for almost a decade because of stringent rules and regulations on how the game could be played, such as requiring a DOS PC when they were out of date, and not allowing modern source ports. At the end of the day the emulator and keyboard gives zero benefits over real hardware, the more accessibility the better.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's a few of them that have been found out like this, because of an understanding of how the game works deep down, that the cheater didn't know when they cheated.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of question is that? Of course they knew. It was how to spot it using game mechanics. You did watch Karl's newest video, didn't you?

I Am not sure I understand what you mean by "that the cheater didn't know when they cheated."

Edit: It is your comma that makes it confusing for me. Nm.

Thanks for NOT being rude