Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah, the old wizard has to die and the young hero carries on alone. That's a basic aspect of the story form Lucas used in both his trilogies.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, the old wizard has to die and the young hero carries on alone. That's a basic aspect of the story form Lucas used in both his trilogies.
Technically the plot point you're referring to usually happens early on; in the sequels it was basically represented by Han's death in TFA

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
isnt the issue people had with Luke his portrayal rather than he died. I don't think most people would have expected Luke to survive anyways, even in a GL trilogy.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing that George disliked Force Awakens, but actually enjoyed TLJ quite a bit. I always think about that and chuckle any time anyone says "George wouldn't do that" about anything in that movie.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Qui-Gon died, Obi-Wan died, you'd expect Luke to. It was more the character of Luke that was the problem.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Luke and everyone from the old guard had died offscreen before the first new trilogy film tbh. I wanted a whole new cast without any old shit weighing it down.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would guess in George's version, Kira (aka: Rey) is just straight forward Luke's daughter and takes over the Skywalker mantle once he dies; he viewed each trilogy as a generational family thing.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the "issue" is that Luke died, but how he was portrayed (I didn't have a problem with this, except for the murder his nephew part I guess) and that he wasn't in The Force Awakens (I did have a problem with this, I wanted one last adventure with Luke before he died).

I would guess in George's version, Kira (aka: Rey) is just straight forward Luke's daughter and takes over the Skywalker mantle once he dies; he viewed each trilogy as a generational family thing.
If you'd asked me pre-sequeal trilogy, I would have said this was super lame and wouldn't want them to do that. But compared to what we got this would have been much better. Monkey's paw!

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
George is also the one who originally had the idea for Luke to be in exile as a grumpy disenchanted old man.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's like pottery. It chimes.

On the other hand... isn't it ambiguous whether he "dies" or ascends to a higher plane because he is such an super ultra power force master? You can argue that unlike Ben Kenobi he actually became more powerful than anyone could imagine.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
isnt the issue people had with Luke his portrayal rather than he died. I don't think most people would have expected Luke to survive anyways, even in a GL trilogy.
To be honest I think people just wanted Luke to be the swashbuckling super-Jedi they've pictured in their heads for however long.

Ultimately though these people have to write stories that move forwards in time and plot, rather than a homogenous fan-fiction which treads water and adds nothing to the existing canon.

Up steps JJ Abrams...

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Show me those story treatments!!!

I want to read them so badly. Soooooo badly. And the "work-in-progress" draft that Michael Arndt finished. Come on Lucasfilm, crack open those vaults!

I remember seeing that George disliked Force Awakens, but actually enjoyed TLJ quite a bit. I always think about that and chuckle any time anyone says "George wouldn't do that" about anything in that movie.

He was certainly unhappy upon his first viewing of The Force Awakens, but he apparently mellowed on it quite quickly. Pablo Hidalgo, who wrote the book with the information in the OP, has said in the past that George seemed to like the film after seeing it again at its public premiere.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
"George would never do that!"

Narrator: He would.
I honestly dont know how people would think he wouldnt it play exactly like Luke passing on like Ben. and actually now understanding how the Sith worked in the last movie it makes sense the Jedi's in a sense work in a similar fashion in terms of how power is added lol.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC he said it's a "beautifully made movie", which is a pretty generic statement, but I'd be surprised if he didn't think it was the best of the trilogy.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious that Rian Johnson is way more in tune with the vision of Star Wars and George Lucas than JJ Abrams is. JJ is too much of a fanboy which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't allow him to make the best possible movie.

On the other hand... isn't it ambiguous whether he "dies" or ascends to a higher plane because he is such an super ultra power force master? You can argue that unlike Ben Kenobi he actually became more powerful than anyone could imagine.

Yes, death isn't really the word for it. More like ascension since you can walk, talk, and interact with the world without constraints. You're becoming one with the force but that power isn't expressed through traditional power (which is like the Sith thing). The power is like wisdom.

it was a missed opportunity for Luke to not interact with Kylo Ren in Rise of Skywalker. Another way that ROS isn't really a sequel to TLJ. It's kind of like it's own thing, probably mostly made up of ideas that JJ had for after TFA rather than taking in account the actual sequel to TFA.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
George is also the one who originally had the idea for Luke to be in exile as a grumpy disenchanted old man.
And it was the right call! Luke was always insecure about being a Jedi and nearly killing his own nephew when he even saw the good in Vader would absolutely destroy him. He's not fucking Goku.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I doubt many people had an issue solely with him dying, but more about his portrayal and lack of screen time in the sequel movies.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars 8
jedi VIllage

starwars.fandom.com

Jedi village

The Jedi village was a settlement on the Temple Island of Ahch-To inhabited by early Jedi. This settlement was constructed an unfathomable number of years prior to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's residence in the village, and consisted of ancient stone structures and cold huts that offered few...

maxresdefault.jpg

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Luke's mentors are both old Jedi in exile, who die after fulfilling their roles mentoring the younger generation. He learned from the best.

The Sith seek to postpone life unnaturally, the Jedi seek to become one with the Force by letting go of self.

Whether he is dead or actually dead dead doesn't really matter - thematically they've given up on the struggle and yielded to the natural order of things.

Last edited:

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
And it was the right call! Luke was always insecure about being a Jedi and nearly killing his own nephew when he even saw the good in Vader would absolutely destroy him. He's not fucking Goku.

I mean it's funny cause Lucas allowed the EU books to have Luke be a natural Jedi Master. He could have easily said no to any of those writers about his character. Idk, I still disagree with the ideal that all of your heroes gotta have to go down a dark path when they are older. Just me though.

Nov 2, 2017
All I wanted was for Luke to get one (1!) fight scene where he got to be a badass. Master of the New Jedi Order for one scene. Full duelist craziness.

I thought that wasn't much of an ask, but I guess it was.

(And give me his real lightsaber)

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have paid close attention over the years, it is known that many of George's sequel ideas actually were utilized, even if they didn't directly adapt his treatment.
Luke is the best part of TLJ

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Luke dying definitely wasn't the issue that people had with him in TLJ and it's been reiterated already.
Luke dying was definitely part of the issue for some people who couldn't let go of their need for Luke to be an invincible super wizard instead of the troubled hero he always was. Doesn't matter how many times we reiterate an incorrect point.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

I think people really wanted Luke to actually kill all the bad guys with his lightsaber or crash a star destroyer with the force. While cool, it kind of goes against the whole philosophy of the light side.

All I wanted was for Luke to get one (1!) fight scene where he got to be a badass. Master of the New Jedi Order for one scene. Full duelist craziness.

I thought that wasn't much of an ask, but I guess it was.

(And give me his real lightsaber)

Like this. It's the antithesis to the lessons of the series.

I mean it's funny cause Lucas allowed the EU books to have Luke be a natural Jedi Master. He could have easily said no to any of those writers about his character. Idk, I still disagree with the ideal that all of your heroes gotta have to go down a dark path when they are older. Just me though.

I don't think George Lucas really cared one way or the other about the books which is why they structured the canon to say that whatever is in the EU is cool until something made by George has to pave over it. I think it works better than the current way of making everything canon because the EU stuff is almost never good and nobody wants to read all of it to get what's going on.