Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017

Trailer for Mike Flanagan's DOCTOR SLEEP should be coming some time today. I haven't been a huge fan of his other movies, but I'll admit I'm pretty curious to see how this turns out especially to see how much it leans into/away from the Kubrick movie. What do you all think about it?

Update: trailer is up

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Flanagan earned a lot of goodwill from me for Hush, Ouija Origin of Evil, and Haunting of Hill House. If the trailer is even just decent, it's enough for me

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I cannot believe that this book is getting made into a movie. It definitely has potential, but I feel like it's not an easy adaptation - it's not as focused as The Shining.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Mike Flanagan is one of the best modern horror directors and I cant wait to see what he's gonna do with this movie

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just read the summary for Doctor Sleep for the first time, despite being aware of it for years. This is extremely metaphysical. It definitely seems like an ambitious story to adapt.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I actually think The Shinning is terribly overrated and is held together by Jack Nicholson being amazing. I'll be interested in watching this trailer because I think there's a lot to like about the books, but the movie just didn't do anything for me.

Apr 8, 2018
Oh nice. I completely forgot this was coming out this year. I love Kubrick's The Shining, so I'm also curious to see how much (if at all) it'll tie into it.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's like the book, it'll have very little to do with the Overlock and the original story outside of an adult Danny Torrance being the lead character.

I think marketing this as a sequel to The Shinning - especially given how many people associate that novel with the Kubrick film - might be a mistake.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Kubrick to Flanagan kinda feels like "five course dinner to McDonald's", but then again I like McDonald's so I'll give this a watch.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Haunting of Hill House was absolutely phenomenal and still one of the best works on Netflix so I'm very excited for this!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Sleep really has nothing to do with the plot of the Shining.

Its basically Danny Torrence fighting Dark Eldar.

Oct 25, 2017

Okay, so this is very clearly a sequel to Kubrick's iteration of The Shining, rather than King's original novel. This detail alone is almost certainly going to result in some very interesting differences from King's original novel for Doctor Sleep considering how Kubrick opted to end his film compared to King's book.

Also props to Flanagan for how great a job he did at recreating those Kubrick scenes and merging them with his own film aesthetic.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It's not really my cup of tea but it looks interesting all the same. I'm surprised that the trailer leans so heavily on the fact it's a sequel (of sorts) to The Shining.

Interesting that WB are also developing a prequel to The Shining called The Overlook Hotel. Looks like they are going to retroactively make this a trilogy after all.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doctor Sleep really has nothing to do with the plot of the Shining.

Its basically Danny Torrence fighting Dark Eldar.
Okay, so this is very clearly a sequel to Kubrick's iteration of The Shining, rather than King's original novel. This detail alone is almost certainly going to result in some very interesting differences from King's original novel for Doctor Sleep considering how Kubrick opted to end his film compared to King's book.

Also props to Flanagan for how great a job he did at recreating those Kubrick scenes and merging them with his own film aesthetic.

He said it's a sequel to the book with homages to the movie. IE Halloran is alive

Oct 25, 2017
The fate of the Overlook is irrelavent to the plot of Doctor Sleep as I remember it.
Doesn't matter for the Doctor Sleep story, so could be either. Really, they could not really mention his dad and if he was full bad or went back to good etc at all either.

Kinda sorta.

The villains stay in the ruins of the Overlook in the book. If the hotel is actually not destroyed here, but merely out of business or something, that could potentially result in some nuttier stuff during the climax of the film.

Additonally, Jack's Ghost makes an appearance in the book and helps save the day... So yeah, that also is something that kinda depends on how heavily Flanagan is drawing from the movie versus the book.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sorta.

The villains stay in the ruins of the Overlook in the book. If the hotel is actually not destroyed here, but merely out of business or something, that could potentially result in some nuttier stuff during the climax of the film.

Additonally, Jack's Ghost makes an appearance in the book and helps save the day... So yeah, that also is something that kinda depends on how heavily Flanagan is drawing from the movie versus the book.
Wow that shows just how much I forgot of the book.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They stay at a camp ground near the Overlook. I believe the Overlook is still gone, but possibly being rebuilt.

Dont recall Jack showing up, just lots of flashbacks to his life.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a King fan, but didn't care for this book at all.

That being said, Flanagan is extremely talented, his other adaptation of a King work was very good(Gerald's Game), so maybe this will be better. Didn't expect them to lean on The Shining imagery and music so heavily, but I guess it makes sense to sell tickets.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Flanagan is on record in a few of the interviews that went live with the trailer essentially saying that his movie exists in both the book AND Kubrick continuity, and that navigating the anachronisms has been part of the challenge of bringing the film to life. In fact, the first task he set himself was convincing King that this movie also needed to be in Kubrick's universe.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
If it was anyone but Mike Flanagan, I wouldn't be interested at all.

Flanagan is on record in a few of the interviews that went live with the trailer essentially saying that his movie exists in both the book AND Kubrick continuity, and that navigating the anachronisms has been part of the challenge of bringing the film to life. In fact, the first task he set himself was convincing King that this movie also needed to be in Kubrick's universe.

That's extremely encouraging.