Votes: 263 60.2%
  • Popeye (Popeye Series)

Votes: 174 39.8%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
af18414b-ccc7-4eac-b950-672eee21c48c

Revealed at the end of Madara vs Aizen, the Season Finale of DEATH BATTLE Season 8 has been announced and it's not what many expected. A lot of people thought the season finale was going to be between two planet destroyers but rather this season is going to end with two bald fighters whose powers defy comprehension with their physical strength being off the charts to the point that they are seem as the strongest..it's Saitama aka the One Punch Man from the One Punch Man Series versus Popeye from the Popeye Series. Now I know you might have some questions so I am going to try and answer them.

Why this of all matchups for the season finale?

I will admit this was a very surprising matchup (though I did call it through a chat with my friends) but when you think about it, it makes sense. In terms of who is the most requested character for any DEATH BATTLE - I would make an argument that Saitama is near the top of the list - easily Top 10 and maybe even Top 5. Saitama has been wanted in a DEATH BATTLE for a looong time and it makes sense that his debut in DEATH BATTLE would be a big episode. As for why it is Popeye fighting Saitama and not Superman/Goku..well i think DB looked at Saitama's options and felt that Popeye made the most sense especially since they can play up how insane the two of them are - not making it a joke matchup per say but going into the sheer insanity of both combatants like Chuck Norris vs Segeta Sanshiro. Ultimately i do think this was the best option that DEATH BATTLE could go with in terms of a Saitama episode though personally there are a couple of fights i would have preferred as the season finale - mostly Samus vs Master Chief or Galactus vs Unicron but this is still a hype as fuck matchup.

Why wasn't this Galactus vs Unicron/Samus vs Master Chief?

I will admit, I was very surprised that the season finale didn't end up being Galactus vs Unicron. This is pure speculation on my part but my guess is they didn't have the budget to pull off Galactus vs Unicron in this season without negatively affecting the other matchups in the season so they decided not to do it for this year. As for why Samus vs Master Chief didn't happen this year, my guess is simply they wanted to wait till both Metroid Dread and Halo Infinite is out - i assume that we will likely get Samus vs Master Chief eventually (maybe even next year)

Who wins this matchup?

I will say that I think that Popeye definitely wins but i do think it's a lot closer than people give credit for - mostly due to the fact that a lot of Popeye's feats are kinda overblown (I personally would not put Popeye at Universe level). Granted I also think a fair amount of Saitama's feats are also overblown. I think at the end of the day - Popeye's durability and versatility give him the win but I could see Saitama winning.

That's everything that needs to be covered. I am curious to know who you think is going to win this matchup. Please let me know in the comments below :D.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Popeye has this in the bag.

Have you seen some of the shit he pulls off with cartoon logic? Crazy lol

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I do legit wonder if this is going to be hand-drawn or 3D (Since Madara vs Aizen is the last sprite fight of the year)

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Toon force is strong with Popeye. Also there's a wealth more data to work with from Popeye compared to Saitama.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this would come down to Popeye's spinach handicap. Saitama doesn't need an external power source, but Popeye does.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
HOLY CRAP. I just realized Popeye punched the bull with -SUCH PRECISION- that he rendered part of him KOSHER.
There's a ton to unpack there. He molecularly forged wood or iron posts lol

I really think OPM has no chance. Popeye does some crazy shit even without the spinach it's just less fun to look at.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Saitama is virtually indestructible. He's never been injured in the slightest. Popeye has all of those ridiculous feats, but none of it should even be able to hurt Saitama at all.

I wonder if they'll keep that in mind, or if this will all boil down to "LMAO, TOONFORCE OP"

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So Popeye is a reality warper?
At this point we're getting at Bugs Bunny level of reality warping.

Oct 27, 2017
Has Popeye done anything comparable to punching an asteroid so hard it turned into rubble, or leapt from the moon back to earth in a handful of seconds?

Dec 30, 2020
Has Popeye done anything comparable to punching an asteroid so hard it turned into rubble, or leapt from the moon back to earth in a handful of seconds?
Eyup. And rather than use his legs, Popeye used his lungs.

Also I'd imagine Popeye punching an asteroid wouldn't produce rubble, but a museum full of expertly chiseled sculptures.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear Popeye has moved the constellations once but i would need to check

Eyup. And rather than use his legs, Popeye used his lungs.

Also I'd imagine Popeye punching an asteroid wouldn't produce rubble, but a museum full of expertly chiseled sculptures.

This just sounds silly. I refuse to take it seriously but I still reserve the right to get unreasonably angry at the result.

Dec 30, 2020
Also a reminder that Popeye once fed his OPPONENT spinach, and Popeye was only hospitalized but not killed by the result.

If this is classic Popeye the man can literally hold lightning in his hands and punch people clean over the moon with little effort.

main-qimg-f5b6487a5ec7ad1ecc698f3790c3fe3f

edit: Beaten to Popeye punching the Sea Hag clean OVER the moon.

...although this all makes me wonder because Popeye's morals are that he should be able to beat someone WITHOUT killing them, and to quote Popeye himself, "if I can't beat him without killing him, what's the point?"

May 26, 2018
Saitama could probably do a lot of these things but he's never been tested. But you can't go on what ifs. Popeye wins. And Saitama would be overjoyed to be defeated.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Spinach Popeye > Saitama > Baseline Popeye.

I think Popeye takes this since he always gets his spinach.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
This is a really weird matchup. Yes Saitama is sort of a gag character, but he's absolutely not in the gag levels of an outright cartoon like Popeye. I don't think it's nearly comparable, and if we go joke for joke Saitama has the infamous scene where is literally unable to kill a mosquito.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
319768c297ae9f4ed637880555392748ea7cc90b4484b9b689c9aebd6dec15a0_1.webp

It's going to be hard to top a lot of this lol

He punched Bluto so hard, he traveled thru time and became an infant. LOL

Oct 27, 2017
319768c297ae9f4ed637880555392748ea7cc90b4484b9b689c9aebd6dec15a0_1.webp

It's going to be hard to top a lot of this lol

He punched Bluto so hard, he traveled thru time and became an infant. LOL

Fifth from bottom: how did he die in the first place?

Saitama could probably do a lot of these things but he's never been tested. But you can't go on what ifs. Popeye wins. And Saitama would be overjoyed to be defeated.

Lol, yeah. Saitama would be so pleased to meet Popeye!

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Although it didn't turn out to be Galactus vs Unicron as I had hoped, I'm nonetheless hyped for this episode! Hopefully it's hand drawn.

I definitely believe Popeye has this in the bag. I mean Saitama does have his insta-kill punch, but Popeye just has an absurd amount of feats. Plus he has the toon physics, probably the greatest example of toon physics next to Looney Tunes and Disney shorts.

No matter the results, it's no doubt going to be one of the funniest episodes of the series yet!

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I've got Popeye based on his ridiculous feats but I won't be surprised if Saitama gets the W because of his NLF-like demeanor.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yea but the salt will be contained this time. The most salt that can happen is due to toon force rage. Now if it was the characters you listed. The rage would be legendary lol
Yeeppp, i am REALLY glad they went with this over Saitama vs Superman/Goku.Plus this is a way more funner fight in my opinion.

Feb 14, 2018
How come Saitama jumping to the moon and back at the speed of light is considered a reasonable and impressive feat while Popeye doing similarly absurd, physically impossible things is characterized as silly "toon force" shenanigans?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So we've never actually seen Saitama take any type of Damage. Unless popeye is going back in the path and beating him before he gained his power up, I can't see him beating him.

Unless we're going to count that we're moving him from a dimension is a loss?

Could this be a tie? I really wished ONE actually completed this series so we can knows what his limitations are. For all we know he could be indestructible. At that point, It doesn't matter what popeye does to him if he can't actually beat him.