• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
IueNY43.png

Starring...

Brendan Fraser
98nPmLp.jpg

Kevin J. O'Connor
KJUTpQp.jpg

John Hannah
IKX4FaZ.jpg

Directed by
Stephen Sommers

Release Date:
May 7, 1999

Reviews:
Gene Shalit said:
My favorite part is when Brendan Fraser kindly offers Kevin J. O'Connor a seat.

The NY Post said:
The height of cinematic entertainment. You'll want to watch The Scene in The Mummy Where Brendan Fraser Throws the Chair at that Guy over and over.

Roger Ebert said:
He just fucking nails him! Boom! That shit was sweet.

Director's Commentary from when I took acid and thought that I had directed The Mummy and recorded my own commentary said:
This scene wasn't in the script. We didn't actually have a plan for O'Connell to meet up with Beni until the next act in the desert. It was one of those shoots where it's early in the morning and the studio is freezing, and we're all miserable. Brendan waves me over and he says, "Hey, Mandrake. I got kind of a wild idea..." Then, completely unprompted and unrehearsed, he just fucking nailed Beni's stuntman with a wooden chair. And we got it on film. That's the take that's in the movie.... And he killed that stuntman. The coroner called it a fatal overdose of chair. The human body isn't supposed to have that much chair in it.

(belch; aluminum cans rattling)

Rachel Weisz just stole shit around the set... All the time.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
RIP Beni's stuntman, he left us too soon but he died for a good cause aka this scene.

He looks down on us now from the better side of the river.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I swear every time I hear someone bring up The Mummy lately they mention the way he fucking chucks that chair. It rules lol

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
There should be an OT for that stuntman that gets thrown off a moving car by Brendan Fraser into a wooden light pole.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
I humbly submit that the scene where Rick steps backwards out of a room while firing two pistols is the second best scene in the film.

LOcYgOq.png

qqqdYKI.png

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
This movie is legit a guilty pleasure, watched it a few days ago (for the first time in over a decade) and it's still entertaining af.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure, it's a legitimately great fantasy action film. It's a shame the sequels were complete garbage. They should have gone with the original idea of the characters encountering a different Universal monster in each movie, but the studio chickened out and decided mummies and sand effects were the reason people liked the first one.