• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Expect Trump to attempt to follow suit, no doubt about it.

Dude wishes he was as good at becoming a dictator as Xi & Putin are.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Just another day at work. I wonder who's going to be a new PM for a time being, Shoigu? It's basically a position of the most hated person in a country at this point.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Expect Trump to attempt to follow suit, no doubt about it.

Dude wishes he was as good at becoming a dictator as Xi & Putin are.

Wouldn't Trump need the capability of changing the Constitution to pull off a stunt like this?

Second to buckets of KFC, I'm sure he dreams of this every night though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
EveryBraveAlaskajingle-small.gif

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
People saying a Trump will be able to copy him are woefully ignorant about basic Civics

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Putinis basically a genius at this point. An evil genius, but a genius nontheless. He's taking over the world.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
How can Russians tolerate this?
This country have seen too much blood spilled in the last hundred years, nobody wants another bloodshed. Add to that that government has a complete control over military and police, nobody's in a hurry to get shot during protests or to get a few years in prison because you were walking close to some demonstration.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Putin like the Trump of Russia?

Meaning his supporters ignore or even celebrate this shitty things he does?

I've always been curious what Russians think of him.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
It's as if Russia wasn't a democratic country.

notthatshocked.gif

Imagine if USA only have had Fox News for the last 20 years.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It always amazes me when dictators go through these hoops of bullshit to stay in power. Like just announce president for life and be done with it. Gonna do this dumb dance every few years to pretend that there is a legitimate process going on and laws are changing to accommodate them. First he did the president to pm back to president thing now he's going back to pm it's hilariously stupid. Why even pretend and sugar coat it? Who is falling for this?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Trump models his presidency on Putin's, not the other way around. Putin enjoys much higher approval ratings than Trump, though. He is legitimately well liked and respected throughout Russia, but it's because there hasn't been authentic reflection of truth in Russia for roughly 100 years. For a short period of about 10 years who had the glimmer of free press and free distribution of information, but that also accompanied a period of social upheaval. For ethnic Russians, who make up the majority of Russia and are the only truly enfranchised people, ordinary life is better under Putin than it was in the Soviet Union, and Russia is perceived as more powerful than it was under Yeltsin in the aftermath of the collapse of Soviet Communism. So Putin is popular. But it's because there's no truth, no reality, a nihilistic worldview that starts at the top and pervades Russian society; a deep pointlessness.

Trump has moved America towards that pointlessness as well. Trump does it as an accident of his presidency. He's not calculated or intelligent like Putin is, though. Putin knows what he's doing, he came of age in the most nihilistic government organization on earth, the KGB, and turned Russian democracy into a KGB-styled bureaucracy.

So you think he will be able to run for another term?
Or change-abolish the 22nd amendment?

I think some people actually believe that Trump is an intelligent dictator like Putin -- he isn't -- but others like Commedieu are pointing out that Trump proves how ineffective the Constitution is, even if the president only has one chamber of congress allied with him in a slim majority. The White House has basically just called congress' bluff over the last 3 years on congressional subpoenas and proved that if you keep 51 senators aligned with you, that the Constitution has no teeth. Trump has clearly broken the Emoluments clause, he's superceded the authority of congress, he's said he'd blatantly ignored the War Powers Act. Trump proves that at the end of the day, a slim majority in one chamber of congress is all you need to prove that the Constitution has no teeth. There have been scoundrels in the WHite House before, but not that many, and Trump has kind of proved that the Constitution is a gentleman's agreement, and once you replace gentlemen with scoundrels, it's really not hard to supercede.

Even as a someone who is skeptical of Trump's ultimate power, I also worry what happens if a president just refuses to leave office, and he insists on 51 senators to support him in that. Even if Democrats flip the senate (which a scenario in which Trump is sitll president and Democrats flip the senate in 2020 is basically impossible), if Trump just refuses to leave power, he's calling a bluff. Does the military remove him? He's the commander in chief. Trump's ego is so big and he is so mentally unwell that he would truly not understand why he couldn't be president anymore. He believes his own lies, even in knowing they're lies, like he legitimately believes that he won the popular vote. He legitimately believes he really has a ~50%+ approval rating. He legitimately believes that he's "Polling higher than Abraham Lincoln -- the most popular Republican!" None of these things are true but the delusion is so strong with him and his ego is so big that he is truly convinced of that reality. And what happens when someone is so unwell, yet wields so much influence over his party, but he has to be removed?

Even as someone who downplays Trump's true power, especially when compared to someone like Putin who is the state in Russia, I don't know.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Why would the government volunteer to do this?

Or was this one of those - resign or drink a cobalt milkshake type deals?

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
When he and all the ex kgb hardliners and ussr idealists finally die of natural causes. Maybe the Russian people will have more freedom.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
People keep mistaking what's going. The Republicans are letting Trump get away with all this.

Putin is getting away with it because he has the power to do it.

Well people are letting their ignorance think Trump can do the same.

ignoring how the term limits have no leeway in the 22nd amendment.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
For the people wondering how anybody could say Trump wants the same for himself:

'Maybe we'll give that a shot': Donald Trump praises Xi Jinping's power grab

"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great," the US president reportedly told Republican donors.

"And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day," Trump added, according to CNN which obtained a recording of what it described as an upbeat, joke-filled speech.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So you think he will be able to run for another term?
Or change the 22nd amendment?
I think if anyone is going to disrupt the constitution and continue to make crisis, its Donald Trump. Hes above the law currently, due to guidelines to not prosecute sitting presidents, violates human rights and emoluments , as well as working with foreign nations for his own benefit.

Yeah, closer to him staying than not. Not sure how it would go down, but I can see that for sure. Not like there would be any pushback considering the lack of pushback we've seen for everything, from the public at large.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they don't want to get assassinated, which seems to happen anytime there's a bit of dissent
I'm sorry, but you probably mean "accidentally fall onto a knife many times". It's a common symptom of Political Dissident disorder (PDD), besides "unexplained radiation poisoning" and, some times even "sudden disappearance", this last one has many forms, a recent one being "temporarily incapacitated" - even showing among people never suspected of having PDD.
A lot of strange medical diseases in modern day Russia that still completely evade our understanding.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, at this point why even waste time and resource, just say that Putin is president for life and be done with it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Isn't this par for the course? He does this transfer of power as his term is ending and just runs for the new position with more power?

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
2024 started early.

Dumb move on Putin.

Now this is clear dictatorship open air

on the contrary, this move is there to keep the facade of democracy. a free and fair election in 2024 was never an option.
obviously, Putin is not going anywhere. but at the very least he's stepping down as president.
no person after him is going to have as much power as he does have now. which is good, I guess.

honestly, interpreting and commenting on the inner workings of the Kremlin is not worth the energy.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
2024 started early.

on the contrary, this move is there to keep the facade of democracy. a free and fair election in 2024 was never an option.
obviously, Putin is not going anywhere. but at the very least he's stepping down as president.
no person after him is going to have as much power as he does have now. which is good, I guess.

honestly, interpreting and commenting on the inner workings of the Kremlin is not worth the energy.

You mean until he swaps back to President again. He moves the constitutional powers to whatever office he is holding. The other executive becomes a figurehead.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
The people who are surprised at the reaction by regular Russians just shows how much of the Western world lives in a bubble. My family came from a dictatorship. Here is a rather disappointing newsflash. Much of the world doesn't give a shit about democracy, particularly much of the third-world, which as experienced nothing but poverty, death, war, starvation, disease and other means of societal disorder. A lot of these nations are willing to tolerate dictatorships or strongmen governments if it will mean economic stability, jobs, security, and a sense of nationalism. I have seen this in a lot of the older Russian people I often talk with, remembering times back in the Soviet Union and the horrific era of 90's Yeltsin. Despite their criticisms of Putin, he's a godsend and has led to stability and the rise of Russia's profile internationally. Similar attitudes are seen with a lot of regular Chinese citizens, for better or for worse.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
You mean until he swaps back to President again. He moves the constitutional powers to whatever office he is holding. The other executive becomes a figurehead.

I bet he won't. When he was Prime Minister there was no need to change the constitution because under the Russian constitution PM has plenty of power. Though no one, except Putin, was able to exercise these constitutionally granted powers. And Medvedev was never a figurehead. He was able to set and carry out his own agenda as President. It was a weird system and no wonder it only lasted 4 years.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I bet he won't. When he was Prime Minister there was no need to change the constitution because under the Russian constitution PM has plenty of power. Though no one, except Putin, was able to exercise these constitutionally granted powers. And Medvedev was never a figurehead. He was able to set and carry out his own agenda as President. It was a weird system and no wonder it only lasted 4 years.

you mean he is doing what he is doing now because he didnt like Medvedev having any power.

guess what, he solved that problem.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The people who are surprised at the reaction by regular Russians just shows how much of the Western world lives in a bubble. My family came from a dictatorship. Here is a rather disappointing newsflash. Much of the world doesn't give a shit about democracy, particularly much of the third-world, which as experienced nothing but poverty, death, war, starvation, disease and other means of societal disorder. A lot of these nations are willing to tolerate dictatorships or strongmen governments if it will mean economic stability, jobs, security, and a sense of nationalism. I have seen this in a lot of the older Russian people I often talk with, remembering times back in the Soviet Union and the horrific era of 90's Yeltsin. Despite their criticisms of Putin, he's a godsend and has led to stability and the rise of Russia's profile internationally. Similar attitudes are seen with a lot of regular Chinese citizens, for better or for worse.
I figured it was something like this. There are many worlds out there

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I'm absolutely not surprised, But the Russian economy has been in the toliets. But you are right about the sense of nationalism, when things are bad at home, the one thing that brings people together is Russia looking 'strong' on the world stage. They do this by reclaiming old Soviet lands and flexing their muscles in the ME and standing up to the United States. I don't blame the Russian people at all for Putin.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely not surprised, But the Russian economy has been in the toliets. But you are right about the sense of nationalism, when things are bad at home, the one thing that brings people together is Russia looking 'strong' on the world stage. They do this by reclaiming old Soviet lands and flexing their muscles in the ME and standing up to the United States. I don't blame the Russian people at all for Putin.

The economy being in the toilet in Russia is the reason why Putin has lost a bit of his strong support, along with the pension reforms he tried to push. Hence, why getting those sanctions removed on Russia was such a large priority for him. The economy and nationalism are the only things that unite the large majority of Russians. The flexing of military muscles play into this, but the added expense of his Middle East adventures and propping up Crimea was hurting his support. Putin tried a number of approaches to distract and prop up the economy, with those efforts either being failures or mixed results. Medvedev was a human shield asorbing both UV rays and the criticisms of Putin. People are losing their patience, but they ain't trying to rock the boat.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
not reflected in the OP, but it needs to be stated: another one of Putin's proposals is to limit the priority of international law over the national legal system. this is big.

Oct 28, 2017
I love how no-nonsense something like this goes down in Russia.

If Putin said "tomorrow, everyone comes to parliament in a clown costume", everyone would come in a clown costume the next day.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

You're spot on, but an asterisk is required. I had mentioned earlier about how the every day lives of "ordinary Russians" are improved over those lives under the Soviet Union or Yeltzin, but I thought about it, went back and added an asterisk of ethnically Russian, non-minorities living "traditional" lives. If you're a minority in Russia -- religious minority, ethnic minority, LGBTQ, etc -- your ordinary life is likely worse than it was in the Yeltsin years (prior to the first Chechen war at least), and more over, far behind the ordinary lives of those minorities in European peer countries. Like, sure, if you're Gay in Russia there's food on the table and you're not waiting in breadlines like you were 35 years ago, but ... you're also at risk of being arrested and tortured for being gay.

Garry Kasparov has the saying that "calling Putin a strong leader is like calling arsenic a strong drink." And a risk of strongmen, demagogues, and dictators, is that when power is encapsulated in a vaccuum of a single person, when that strongman falls, conditions often become worse than they were before the rise of the strongman.