• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4 out of 10

af7ed618be4a9c997a1960c79ff7441c.gif

May the 4's be with you

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
kinda reads like what Return of the Jedi was to Empire Strikes Back though to be fair.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at Era dying for a minute over SW review embargo

Sounds about what I expected - it's fun but so overloaded with fanservice and safe that it's ultimately a lesser film

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
All my worse fears are getting confirmed. Rian tried to grow up this franchise's palate and JJ brought it right back down into comfort food central . FFSSSSSsss

overcast

Oct 25, 2017

" Unfortunately, The Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams doesn't seem to have fully grasped Johnson's message in The Last Jedi--that we have to "let the past die" to move forward. Johnson sought to establish a fresh direction for the Star Wars saga, but in Rise, Abrams is interested in killing only the parts of the past that he disagrees with. Instead of continuing down the path that Johnson set, Abrams swerves the franchise into yet another hard u-turn, cramming enough story for two movies into one, and largely acting like the previous film never happened--or actively retconning it.

In the end, it all feels simply empty. It should never be so clear to audiences that something in the filmmaking process has gone so terribly wrong--that the people who made the first film in a trilogy apparently didn't bother to sketch out a plan for the second and third, and that the movies' directors had visions for the series' future that were so fundamentally at odds. Star Wars deserved better.

4/10"
A Gamespot review? I'm sorry what?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

" Unfortunately, The Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams doesn't seem to have fully grasped Johnson's message in The Last Jedi--that we have to "let the past die" to move forward. Johnson sought to establish a fresh direction for the Star Wars saga, but in Rise, Abrams is interested in killing only the parts of the past that he disagrees with. Instead of continuing down the path that Johnson set, Abrams swerves the franchise into yet another hard u-turn, cramming enough story for two movies into one, and largely acting like the previous film never happened--or actively retconning it.

In the end, it all feels simply empty. It should never be so clear to audiences that something in the filmmaking process has gone so terribly wrong--that the people who made the first film in a trilogy apparently didn't bother to sketch out a plan for the second and third, and that the movies' directors had visions for the series' future that were so fundamentally at odds. Star Wars deserved better.

4/10"

Sounds like the reviewer didn't even understand the message of The Last Jedi.

Discussion here.

Setting the record straight: The message of The Last Jedi was *NOT* "Let the past die".

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Sweet jesus just update the tomato meter so we dan go sleep already, it's a bloodbath out here

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Glad people calls out on JJ's playbook. Dude been cruising on dazzling people with mediocrity since Super 8.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen as soon as they got Abrams back. Immediately showed that Lucas film got scared and has no trust in directors who care about making something interesting or fresh. I'm sure episode 10 will be made by an AI in 10 years.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
wonder if rian johnson gets his trilogy after the critical success of tlj and knives out or maybe disney goes too gunshy on this whole star wars thing after jj abrams super 8s it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Boy some of those headlines could've been written for TFA as well.

I think the difference is that people were hyped for a new trilogy and saw it as a fitting tribute.

But fool us once Abrams...

We probably can't blame him, I'm sure Disney told him to go as safe as possible after Last Jedi.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Most of the reviews could - sometimes almost word for word - also apply to TFA. I also remember the general conses after TFA to be that it "had to play it safe" after the and that. Alornof the final reception of the trilogy hinge on if they start getting more creative withe EP 8 & 9.
Sad to see Disney capitulate to the worst part of the Fandom, though im sure I will still enjoy the movie in general, probably even more than TFA.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Still many reviews to go but after feeling the critics always let of SW and Avengers lightly the volume of dunking on this comes off as pretty shocking. Some those quotes -yikes.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
More than that though, It just sounds designed by committee and soulless. Judging by the reviews.

sounds like the shit I criticize marvel movies for. Force Awakens did indeed also feel formulaic but had a strong sense of momentum to it as well. this just sounds...like everything we get every year now. Bleh. I'm glad skywalker saga is over. I didn't want Disney handling more of that.