• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
The rewind featurein Mega Man Legacy Collection is ruining my enjoyment of the games. Yes, the games are tough, but I remember clearly how I beat those games on the NES when I was a kiddo.

And most of the games are not even that difficult. Sure, I can understand having a rewind feature in Mega Man 1, but for the rest of games it is completely unnecessary.

I know it is completely optional and you could, in theory, not press the rewind button (L button on the Switch) but is hard:

• You miss a jump? Oh, I'm doing to press the rewind feature just this time.
  • A boss is about to kill me but I don't want to use my E-Tank; let me rewind just this one time.
And this is not a Git Gud thread... I'm just saying that these kind of features should be off by default. This collection doesn't even give you the option to turn off that feature.

Last edited:

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
Right. You're complaining about an optional feature... because you keep using it?

... stop using it?

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
LOL! No self control I see! I personally love the game because I can not get uber frustrated all the time, just sometimes. Lol @ wanting it out because you can stop yourself from using it though!

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
And what's worse is that you can even rewind the game when they kill you. You have Mega Man exploding and you can just rewind time without any kind of penalties.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean the replies here aren't wrong but I get what OP is saying. In a way some arcade games lost a similar magic by having unlimited continues, and later devs compensated by allowing options to restrict continues per run. Is it bound to a button or a pause menu thing?

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
I get you OP. Its like when you're allowed to change the difficulty at any point and instead of learning a difficult encounters mechanics you can save some time by turning the difficulty down for just this one bit.

I always like it when a game includes an option to lock modes or disable making the game easier in whatever way.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
And what's worse is that you can even rewind the game when they kill you. You have Mega Man exploding and you can just rewind time without any kind of penalties.

I played through and beat all these games as a kid. I like features like this, because I'm not buying these games again to master them; I'm buying them to remind me of my 8 year old self playing Mega Man. Being able to push through a stage and see the content once more is a nice feature. I actually wish every game had a feature like this--have it disable trophies, I don't care.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Thx for the thread, didn't know about this feature and now I'm interested in getting the collection.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gatekeeping is the worse. Game should be more accessible. This is why I don't associate with "gamer"

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I agree. Once you start using it it can become difficult to not want to rely on it. I wish there was an option to disable it, too.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
They should've made leaderboards.
And made it so only attempts done without using rewind count. Then again you also have savestates...

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Why is that an issue?
Nintendo figure it out this shit a few years ago. They have an easy mode for some of their games. For example, in Mario games, the character will play the level by itself without collecting the hidden coins/stats, thus preventing the player to have a shiny star on their profile.

Capcom should just lock the ending or something (for example, achievemens/trophies in the other consoles) for people using the rewind feature.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh I hate when I can't control myself. Let me just blame the developers!

Honestly though, I hear what you're saying. It's much easier to git gud (or even not second guess an action) if you have no choice but to do so.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even know there was a rewind feature lol. I've been playing the original nes Gabe's all this week.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Capcom should just lock the ending or something (for example, achievemens/trophies in the other consoles) for people using the rewind feature.
Why though? Why do you care about someone seeing the ending if they used the rewind feature? Just because you can't seem to be able to control your actions enough to not use it, you need some penalty for doing so to dissuade you.

Effectively you want to limit everyone else because you can't limit yourself.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo figure it out this shit a few years ago. They have an easy mode for some of their games. For example, in Mario games, the character will play the level by itself without collecting the hidden coins/stats, thus preventing the player to have a shiny star on their profile.

Difficulty isnt a requirement for games.

If you dont want to use it, dont. Most people do, though.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP because when I played FF7 on my PS4 I used the instant limit break more often than I wanted to because it was so easy but at the end of the day it was my problem. Still, they made it much more of a process for FF9 and I didn't use it at all.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
The rewind fratfea in Mega Man Legacy Collection is ruining my enjoyment of the games. Yes, the games are tough, but I remember clearly how I beat those games on the NES when I was a kiddo.

And most of the games are not even that difficult. Sure, I can understand having a rewind feature in Mega Man 1, but for the rest of games it is completely unnecessary.

I know it is completely optional and you could, in theory, not press the rewind button (L button on the Switch) but is hard:

• You miss a jump? Oh, I'm doing to press the rewind feature just this time.
  • A boss is about to kill me but I don't want to use my E-Tank; let me rewind just this one time.
And this is not a Git Gud thread... I'm just saying that these kind of features should be off by default. This collection doesn't even give you the option to turn off that feature.

Then don't use the feature. The games were beatable before, and are beatable now in the old way. More option, the better.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even know there was a rewind feature. Now I'm interested in buy the game actually!

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
giphy.gif

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
They should just give you the option to disable the feature. It wouldn't be that hard.
Can get behind this. I am always happy when games introduce features that make them more accessible, but it would be much appreciated if there were a way to disable such features from the start and potentially have it reflected on your save file by an emblem or such.

But this is just something that would be nice if there, not necessary.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Absolutely useless feature for these games.

It is a essential feature in games that gameplay relies on it like Braid or The Life is Strange.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of get where op is comming from. Reminds me of the autobattle feature in ff13. Sure you could not use but 90% of the time it's going to do what you where going to do anyways, so why not. Should really have an option to hard disable features like this.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea there was a rewind feature in this. I use it sometimes on my SNES Classic though. It's neat.

I do use the save feature in MMLC, but I just don't have patience like I used to. I'll save before a boss fight because I don't want to have to keep playing the stage over and over.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That's why I am playing them on nes classic. I can use save states but I limit myself to 2 per level. One during the level and one before the boss. I bought the legacy collection for all the goodies that come with the collection but playing them that way feels off