• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They probably can't find them, or they can't afford them. Damn things are always sold out and they're $12 a lb.

Which also highlights part of the problem. Even if people wanted to eat this stuff, the lack of variety, readily available, and inexpensive substitutes makes it difficult. Even if Beyond Burgers were as good as the real thing I wouldn't know because every time I go into the grocery they're not there and I'm not going out to dinner just to try one. And god forbid you have a wheat or yeast allergy, you're fucked.

And why is it that a yeast "burger" costs twice as much as the real thing? You maybe think if you want people to move on from meat you should price your imposter shit to be less expensive, not more? Doesn't seem very ethical for a company that claims to want to change the world for the better.

Production line, yields, demand, and subsidies.

It will go down in price once demand warrants more production. Subsidizing production of these burgers would help further the cost or at least speed of higher yields.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not asking that we convince individuals to consume less meat when I say "sweeping systemic changes". What I mean is we need policy changes. For example policy that addresses the production of meat and contributors of climate change. Passing the buck to individuals isn't gonna do jack but it's probably easier to tell people to eat less red meat than it is to get policy changes

I don't think referring to it as "passing the buck to individuals" is a fair characterization. It's taking ownership of areas you have influence and control over. And it's not an either/or proposition. We can be making personal changes and seeking to change policy at the same time. Waiting for someone else to go first will just lead to all of us suffering in the end.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think referring to it as "passing the buck to individuals" is a fair characterization. It's taking ownership of areas you have influence and control over. And it's not an either/or proposition. We can be making personal changes and seeking to change policy at the same time. Waiting for someone else to go first will just lead to all of us suffering in the end.
I personally don't eat meat much anymore and I don't eat red meat at all but I don't control meat production so my individual choice isn't having effect on anything besides me.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't eat meat much anymore and I don't eat red meat at all but I don't control meat production so my individual choice isn't having effect on anything besides me.

I think you're selling your impact short. If you look at the effect of a single meal, yes, it's going to feel like a drop in the bucket. But take that decision and spread it out over the course of 3 meals every day for the next 10 years. It's late and I'm tired so I'm getting lazy on the math, but I'm confident in saying that it would be a significant volume of meat reduction over the nearly 11,000 potential meals you will have eaten over that time span. Then start to factor family and friends who may be influenced by your decision and it grows even more. I work for a very large food retailer and these trends get noticed and our products changed to reflect them. The items we sell today are very different than what we sold just 5 years ago. It just takes enough people to start small and go from there.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Give the people better alternatives. Just look at EVs. People buy Teslas not solely because they are better for the environment, but because they are better cars.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give the people better alternatives. Just look at EVs. People buy Teslas not solely because they are better for the environment, but because they are better cars.

tenor.gif

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
What better alternative? Humans began interacting with fire 1.5 million years ago and have been using it to cook food ever since. Between the first electric car being described in 1830 and Tesla beginning production in 2008, it took 178 years for someone to figure out how to market a greener car. If people were going to figure out how to market more environmentally friendly foods to be better than red meat, we would have done it by now.

All this theoretical nonsense does is pass the blame onto some imaginary experts and excuse people of their culpability in this.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
It reminds me of the reactions people have to switching to the metric system in the US. "I don't want to change" "I'm not gonna change for some hippie liberals!" "I like it the way it is"

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
honestly it's a bit childish but every time someone tells me I should stop eating meat I make it a point to eat a nice juicy steak

delicious

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're a good friend.

/s

This is a really stupid post. Good friends are actually ones that would try to convince there friends of doing something that is right and its hard to do that when they use emotional reasons to ignore it.

This is why its hard to convince a conservative that their side is fucking our country up.

OP, the way I see it, you should keep trying. The issue is, you are fighting uphill here, we been eating meat for too long. While, I did reduce consumption of meat when I found out about its impact, I feel I need to reduce it further.

Granted, it isn't easy to do this, meat is cheaper than healthy greens per calorie and requires a lot of research so one can get good meals and reach their daily caloric intake.

You can care about climate change without forcing yourself to eat things you don't like. It's OK to have personal preferences. There are other ways people can contribute.

Lol... its okay if you want to drive a big 10 mpg SUV, keep your lights and A/C on all day and night because people have personal preferences, there are other ways people can contribute.

You see the issue with your post now? You can make this argument with every single thing that cause climate change on a personal level, and delay actual actions to deal with it.

This is why, I believe humanity will not be able to deal with climate change. We will delay it until its too late because it requires a lot of change fairly quickly.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What gets to me, especially in a supposedly progressive place like Era, is the blatant hypocrisy. This place expects, or rather demands, that everyone accepts and adopts their stance on gender and social issues, but when it comes to one of the most effective ways we collectively can work towards saving the world we all depend on to live, not only for ourselves, but f future generations.

Wll, then progressive Era turns into herpy derpy 4chan lookalike very quckly. It has slowly started to improve, but it's not fast enough.

The high horse attitudes often on display here (such as how quickly we like to say people are monsters, horrible people, wish death upon people, find no redeeming qualities in people because of one stance we disagree with,etc) looks to me very much like throwing rocks in a pretty sizable glass house.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Telling people to do less of something they enjoy doesn't stick. People resist it.

You have to approach it from the other direction. Instead of staying "eat less meat", try "eat more plants". Human psychology is weird like that.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn there are some dumb fucking replies in this thread. Some of y'all act like children when someone even dares to propose that maybe you should cut back on meat. Don't even have to go 10 posts back to see one example.

Nov 30, 2017
Because 71% of the greenhouse gases fuckin up the planet come from 100 companies.

Now preserving fresh water sources on the other hand, yes we definitely need to curtail meat production and also the production of very water intensive crops (looking at you almonds) until the water tables recover.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'd consider cutting red meat for sure, but I use chicken as a base for pretty much every dish I make.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's odd how vegans have more empathy for animals than omnivore humans.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man... that one article basically messed up everyone's understanding of the problem. Yes it's oil and coal companies that are responsible. But they're the energy/resource providers for everything, including our farms/factory farms. The agriculture GHG emissions are those emitted directly from the animals. The water, the food, the processing, logistics of animal agriculture is huge.

Edit:
Era is progressive, but not in this particular topic.

Screw the earth!
It's like that for everything. No likes reducing or taking away something we enjoy or get value from. This is food, clothing, transport, and even taxes. When you start taking something away, even progressives become conservatives.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I am not vegan. Not even vegetarian. But I do try to eat with as little impact to the environment as possible. I eat very little meat. Once a month if for example I am visiting someone and they serve meat. I don't cook it at home.
I try to eat as much marked Ecological. Same as Organic? Or whatever you call it. Also I don't buy vegetables shipped from the other side of the globe.
It seems it is a very hard step to get away from the thinking of a meal always having meat. Growing up that was how a meal was done. Potato, pasta, rice whatever and some kind of meat. Always. Well maybe not always but close.
It was not until I moved out and started college I started eating meals without meat.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand where this weird connection of "eating meat = non progressive" concept came from.

Like what....

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I'm vegan, but with the recent report on climate change and the call for cutting meat consumption by 30%: why is there so much resistance on this?

If I can scrap use of animal products by 100% then surely others can cut their meat consumption by 30%?

A friend of mine just said "I don't want to" and this attitude frustrates me endlessly.

Are people really that selfish?

Edit:

Because some people decided to change the subject from "is cutting meat consumption by 30% that much to ask" to "lol the weekly vegan thread"...

I am not shaming you for eating meat.

The question is why do you feel OK with putting results onto future generations because you can't be arsed cutting the consumption of it by 30%.
It's selfish to assume everyone else's lives are the same as yours and they can make the same choices as easily

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand people not wanting to become vegans, I don't understand people unwilling to go without meat for a few days a week

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's selfish to assume everyone else's lives are the same as yours and they can make the same choices as easily
And I doubt anyone would hold it against such people if they cannot reduce meat consumption. However I think a large proportion of posters on this forum do not face large barriers in making that choice, outside of habit and taste (which are not easy to overcome I completely understand).

Last edited:

bwakh

Jan 16, 2018
Reading through this thread, it's clear people will not want to do anything with their diet except of their own accord. But my question is, are people seriously okay with having lab grown meat as a substitute for real meat?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
One of the highest tenets of progressive ideology is being proactive towards climate change. By continuing to consume massive amounts of meat, you're doing the very opposite of what a progressive person should be doing.
It's just really weird that meat consumption is overwhelmingly the most talked about topic (not that it wouldn't be good to talk about it too). It pops up constantly and the threads always get long. There's probably more threads about it than there are about other ways to reduce personal carbon footprint overall. There's so many things people could do, yet we focus only on one thing. I know that beef especially has really big effect on the enviroment. But I don't think I've ever seen a thread about only (or preferring) buying local or organic products. Or threads about not using dryers but line-drying instead. Not buying fast fashion, or not always buying electronic devices (well any product) as new but used. Are people who are excited in those threads for new phones not progressive if they consider buying those at launch, rather than just holding off if their old phone still works or getting used phone instead.

We even had a thread about dumpster diving once, with way too many people shaming those who would do that.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
I understand people not wanting to become vegans, I don't understand people unwilling to go without meat for a few days a week

It's a culture change, plus they might not like the Vegetarian/Vegan food they've had? Not that hard to understand.

Personally I have meat for two meals a day but the expense of it means that in the lunchtime salad it's bulked out with beetroot and I have a greek yoghurt to make me feel more full, and in dinner I tend to cook a lot of mushroom in with the meat/stock so it feels meatier than it really is. I maybe use about 1-1.5kg of meat a week (Mostly Pork and Turkey) and have absolutely no plans to cut that back further.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Meat eating is one of the touchiest subjects on the planet. Bringing up the idea of even mildly reducing, not cutting, meat consumption is met with the most hilariously overblown reactions. I think part of it is because people know that cutting meat by a third would actually be incredibly doable in 9/10 cases, and when faced with what is essentially just their own laziness and stubbornness, they just retaliate. It's kind of the perfect example of everyone pretending they care about the environment until forced to actually act.

Just before people pile on me, I feel I should mention that I'm a meat eater.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Tried going vegan a few years ago just as something to do (I never expected to stay at it for very long) - I made it two weeks and in that time decided that my allergies were getting in the way of nutrition too much, so I stopped.

I also really missed meat.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I already posted in this thread but its possible I've posted it in another thread like this one.

I suffer from migraines and going keto saved me from those awful headaches. I'll eat plenty of fish and white meat as possible to avoid eating too much red meat though.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
People (correctly) hang such an enormous amount of shit on conservatives for ignoring climate change yet cant be fucked making the single most impactful change available in their own personal lives.

I don't drive and I don't (and wont) have kids but the fact that I eat meat leads to bullshit like this, which is exactly the type of thing people are referring to when they complain about obnoxious vegans. This attitude is fine if one is only interested in patting themselves on the back and thinking of themselves as superior to others, but counterproductive if one actually wants people to change.

Ultimately though the problem with your line of thinking is that your starting point is that meat eaters are eating too much meat when in reality you have aren't going to have any idea how much any individual person is eating. You're insisting they need to cut back without knowing whether they do or not. You can't be so aggressive and then act surprised when people get defensive.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately though the problem with your line of thinking is that your starting point is that meat eaters are eating too much meat when in reality you have aren't going to have any idea how much any individual person is eating. You're insisting they need to cut back without knowing whether they do or not. You can't be so aggressive and then act surprised when people get defensive.
Yeah I'm sure all the people who already eat little meat are the ones going "lolno" /s

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Can u vegans stop being so condescending and let me continue ruining the planet in peace? Oh and btw Trump policies are terrible, going back on coal? Do those rich people not care at all about the enviroment???!???

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a vegan and calling yourself an oppressed minority

One of the cringiest fucking things I've ever read on here

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
how about reducing the amount of people on earth... that way we wouldn't have to change these things.
some times you just need to address the root of the problem

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Eating meat is just cheaper to do then being vegan in some areas. Also asking someone to change their lifestyle is extremely hard thing to do for most people. Habits take time to change, and most people are resistant to change.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Labgrown meat gonna change everything. It's part of the campus I work with and I'm very excited to see the price drop down to less than 12 bucks per patty. Should be on the (dutch) market within 5-10 years.