• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In honor of the new patch I've created a private tournament just for ResetERA!

Table: Sorcerer's Lair - it's free, so everyone can play!
Rules: Classic - no perks means no unfair advantages
Time: 3 Days
# of Attempts: Unlimited!

Tournament Name: My PBFX3 User Name - Hot Ham
Password: resetera

Who can participate? Switch, Xbox, Steam. Sorry Playstation, blame Sony. Sorry mobile, blame Zen Studios (PBFX3 isn't available there)

Don't worry about your skill level, just have fun!

screen-shot-2017-12-10-at-13-07-35.png

You know, if we get a lot of interest in this I would be willing to do monthly tournaments with real prizes via the gift bot. Like $5 eShop codes or free tables or something. But you guys gotta show me you want to play!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Who can participate? Switch, Xbox, Steam. Sorry Playstation, blame Sony. Sorry mobile, blame Zen Studios (PBFX3 isn't available there)

You know, if we get a lot of interest in this I would be willing to do monthly tournaments with real prizes via the gift bot. Like $5 eShop codes or free tables or something. But you guys gotta show me you want to play!
I'm in!ill put in some practice tomorrow so I can hopefully enter at my hotel tomorrow night

centracore

Oct 25, 2017
The Bethesda pack is a no brainer :)

Of the ~$10 packs Bethesda Pinball is the best, IMO, followed by Jurassic Park. Aliens vs Pinball is also quite good.

Carnivals and Legends, Iron and Steel and Medieval Pack are great table packs if you want something cheaper to dip your toes in.

Of the two single table packs I think I prefer The Walking Dead over Portal, though neither is bad.

The rest I'd ignore.

Awesome, thanks for the replies! Picked up the Bethesda pack for now and will go from there..

Any word on if the Switch will ever get the plethora of Star Wars tables available on all the other platforms? A small piece of me is hoping they dropped the Switch update today so tomorrow (May 4th, Star Wars day) they could drop the Star Wars tables for Switch.. unlikely but I can hope.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the replies! Picked up the Bethesda pack for now and will go from there..

Any word on if the Switch will ever get the plethora of Star Wars tables available on all the other platforms? A small piece of me is hoping they dropped the Switch update today so tomorrow (May 4th, Star Wars day) they could drop the Star Wars tables for Switch.. unlikely but I can hope.

They already announced the platforms for the new tables releasing tomorrow and Switch wasn't included. My guess would be the contracts will be renewed at some point next year (or sooner) and that is when they'll add them.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm interested in regular tourneys but I only play on PS4 as of now. Want to get a switch but even if I do it's a in the future things.

If there were enough PS4 only users interested I wouldn't mind running private tourneys for that pool of players.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not on Android?

Cuz I am really into this.
Sorry, Zen Pinball 2 doesn't supoort tournaments.

Believe me, I would love to have PBFX3 on mobile, I already own all of the tables on iPad and rebuying them on Switch sucks.

I'm interested in regular tourneys but I only play on PS4 as of now. Want to get a switch but even if I do it's a in the future things.

If there were enough PS4 only users interested I wouldn't mind running private tourneys for that pool of players.
Fucking Sony man. I would have already bought Rocket League on Switch if I could play with my PS4 friends. But I just stick with my PS4 copy for now.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I would absolutely be down for this. Will make some attempts during my lunch break, although I've never played this particular table so I'll have to get used to it.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017

I'm in! :)

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
What new tables are releasing tomorrow?

Oops, I am out of it a bit it seems, I just meant the two latest Star Wars tables, I guess they're already released? I just remember seeing the advertisements/trailer for them and noticing the platforms and Switch was missing, didn't realize they were already out, my bad.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sorcerer's Lair is an awesome table. Posted a score of 33mil on my second attempt. Probably would've done better if my 2nd and 3rd balls hadn't been stinkers, but I'm happy with it for now.

Can't wait to pop an edible tonight and play a bit more. I tried to add some of y'all as friends so we could compare scores, but I'm getting an error message when I do. I'm Jeremy on the leaderboard.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorcerer's Lair is an awesome table. Posted a score of 33mil on my second attempt. Probably would've done better if my 2nd and 3rd balls hadn't been stinkers, but I'm happy with it for now.

Can't wait to pop an edible tonight and play a bit more. I tried to add some of y'all as friends so we could compare scores, but I'm getting an error message when I do. I'm Jeremy on the leaderboard.
On what platform? Switch?

I'll add you.

Yeah, Sorcerer's Lair is a fantastic table and a really great freebie.

Edit: i tried to add you and i got the same error. Weird. Maybe we'll have to do it through the OS?

Also, lol, i just knocked you down by like 100k.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the idea of ERA tournaments, even if I don't do Zen. But I'll be watching for the results!
The tournament settings are awesome. Classic mode is a must, IMO, i don't like the perks because people who just got the table are at a huge disadvantage vs people who have been playing the table for months and massively leveled up their perks.

Being able to set # attempts is also cool, as is being able to disable extra balls. Some tables, like Sorcerer's Lair, have extra balls that are way too easy to get.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The tournament settings are awesome. Classic mode is a must, IMO, i don't like the perks because people who just got the table are at a huge disadvantage vs people who have been playing the table for months and massively leveled up their perks.

Being able to set # attempts is also cool, as is being able to disable extra balls. Some tables, like Sorcerer's Lair, have extra balls that are way too easy to get.

I think setting a time limit could be interesting too. I remember reading some people can play out a single FX2 game over the span of days before losing... I don't know if FX3 changed that much with it's updated physics, but for normal people like me, having a turn last 15 minutes is an accomplishment, forget about 15 hours lol. I am intrigued by the tournament function though, it sounds cool!

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The idea of tournaments is fantastic HotHamBoy , but I will pass of 'Sorcerer's Lair'.

I struggle in the mini-game with the rotating clockwork parts in this table, it's a game breaker for me. Every time that I activate this mini-game, it stops my fun with the table.

Count me on future tournaments with other tables, as I see this as a good incentive to get new table packs.

And please: never, never, never include perks in the tournaments.

Classic mode is the way to go, perks and boosters in score based arcade games need to die.

Also, I see an entire month as a more affordable timeframe for the tournament, in this way you give some time to learn the basics of the table.

Specially if you start a tournament the same day that my most anticipated game of the year was released, something involving robots and fruits :)

Oct 25, 2017
Having a tournament sounds like a great idea. I went ahead and took a turn at the table on the Switch Handheld as a test of the new patch and I got a better score than I could have hoped for. Looking forward to seeing myself get dethroned and trying to climb back up.

I really dislike all the popups in the non classic mode. Classic feels better too, but I think it's just that the tables aren't tweaked and feel right replaying them.

Thanks for running the tournament HotHamBoy. I hope we can keep one going!

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
The idea of tournaments is fantastic HotHamBoy , but I will pass of 'Sorcerer's Lair'.

I struggle in the mini-game with the rotating clockwork parts in this table, it's a game breaker for me. Every time that I activate this mini-game, it stops my fun with the table.

Don't take it so seriously. Just relax and have fun. You'll figure out the puzzle eventually.

Also, I see an entire month as a more affordable timeframe for the tournament, in this way you give some time to learn the basics of the table.

A month is way, way, way too long. If these Resetera tournaments become a thing, announcing a table schedule in advance would give people time to begin learning the tables before each tournament started. The actual tournament should be kept to a week, maximum, IMHO.

The good players are always going to clobber players like me. I just don't care. I'm participating for the fun of it. I haven't even read the table rules for the current tournament yet.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can disable pop-ups and stuff in settings, Markoff Chaney

And if we do Monthly tournies w/ prizes I think 1 week is plenty long enough.

Minsc I'm definitely considering mixing up rules such as time limits, ball limit, available attempts, etc.

But i will always do Classic, no perks!

Anyone can run a tourney any time, though!

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

Count me on future tournaments with other tables, as I see this as a good incentive to get new table packs.

And please: never, never, never include perks in the tournaments.

Classic mode is the way to go, perks and boosters in score based arcade games need to die.

Specially if you start a tournament the same day that my most anticipated game of the year was released, something involving robots and fruits :)

Not to thread derail, but what do you think regarding perks in Don't Die Mr. Robot DX? I just discovered them, and feel they help enhance that game a good bit.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Not to thread derail, but what do you think regarding perks in Don't Die Mr. Robot DX? I just discovered them, and feel they help enhance that game a good bit.

I'm not using them, and I think (I'm not completely sure of this), that there are two separated scores in the local leaderboards, and the one called pure arcade is without using any perks.

In this concrete game I'm contrary because they are against the existence of leaderboards, there is a big difference in the score that you can reach depending on the selected character or the activated perks.

But the same can be said of a pinball game. A player with the patience to unlock a lot of boosters and perks will have the potential to reach a high score.

But high scores in arcade games have always relied in the personal skills and in mastering the different sections of a game. If a player can obtain a higher score making a worst run with less skills, this is against the purpose and ethos of an arcade design, which is training until you are able to improve your skills through practice, muscle memory and memorization.

In the case of 'Don't Die Mr. Robot DX', in addition to the arcade mode and for players looking for a sense of progression, there is a mission based mode divided in 50 challenges with a satisfactory difficulty curve.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Damn, those are some nice scores!! This is a really fun idea, and definitely making me want to get into learning the mechanics of the game more.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Oh jeez, those scores are crazy. I'd never get close... But if you guys do something with the Paranormal table I will be there, as I'm an ace at that one, along with the sadly MIA Spiderman table.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh jeez, those scores are crazy. I'd never get close... But if you guys do something with the Paranormal table I will be there, as I'm an ace at that one, along with the sadly MIA Spiderman table.
Paranormal is one of my favorite no license tables, even though I usually don't like when the play field is that crowded.

On the other hand when it's comes to entertainment and fictional characters Spidey is like my favorite thing even in just about anything/everything (including clothing and Knick Knacks, hell I even have a Webhead branded bag I use for the Library and grocery shopping) I cannot stand that table. Also seems like most the high scores come from abuse of the loop but whatever, take your points where you can get them right?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys

Brand new to pinballing. Hotham convinced me to give pinball fx3 a shot on Switch, and I've been messing around and having a lot of fun the past hour or so. I joined the tourney and will give it a few plays.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys

Brand new to pinballing. Hotham convinced me to give pinball fx3 a shot on Switch, and I've been messing around and having a lot of fun the past hour or so. I joined the tourney and will give it a few plays.
Good luck and hope you stick with it. It's a great sub hobby within gaming offering such a flexible skill ceiling from just having fun trying to keep the ball from draining to high level play with scores in the billions that seem unreachable at first.

You get what you put in though and practice leads to tangible results and a visible mastery a lot of other games don't as reliably provide.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a bit of skill as well. Great work!

Thank you! But I'm sure it wont last long :)

My gf bumped my arm on the last ball...

DcUSk3QU8AAQqtp

I'm about to sleep in the guest bedroom tonight.

giphy.gif

BTW, guys, I tried to add you all as friends through PinballFX but kept having errors… Is there any known issue about it?

Aaargh, I can't play today :( Too much work to do, but tomorrow I'll give it another shot.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Holy crap FX3 is a buggy POS of times. Took me ages to find HotHamBoy (s) tournament but it's completely empty. Couldn't search for it by name, couldn't scroll through to find it, had to make the table my only favourite for it to finally load it. I have the same issue with my friends list, it only loads a few at the start and the rest can get stuffed. Been like this since launch.

At least I'm guarenteed to win if FX3 thinks I'm the only entrant!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap FX3 is a buggy POS of times. Took me ages to find HotHamBoy (s) tournament but it's completely empty. Couldn't search for it by name, couldn't scroll through to find it, had to make the table my only favourite for it to finally load it. I have the same issue with my friends list, it only loads a few at the start and the rest can get stuffed. Been like this since launch.

At least I'm guarenteed to win if FX3 thinks I'm the only entrant!
Really weird.

Thank you! But I'm sure it wont last long :)

giphy.gif

BTW, guys, I tried to add you all as friends through PinballFX but kept having errors… Is there any known issue about it?

Aaargh, I can't play today :( Too much work to do, but tomorrow I'll give it another shot.
I'm getting errors too.

I'd not heard of it being an issue before.

Helpfully, Nintendo's website has no record of the error code.