• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
ok finally done with yakuza kiwami

didn't do any more side missions, left the majima stuff half way through and went straight for the ending. sadly, it wraps up in a very unsatisfying way tho it was kind of unexpected since the story was kind of unexciting before too

overall a big disappointment given how good yakuza 0 was, kiwami is just kind of irredeemably uninspired, nothing about it comes close to matching 0 and the majima stuff is really awful and the story feels rushed and disconnected, i really didn't like this game

honestly i feel like i would've had a better time playing the ps2 original cos at least it would've been interesting to see a different looking and playing game, this is just copy paste of the worst kind

ugh, no, bad

also wtf at amazing grace being the credits song

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Made a thread about this, but Devotion is currently the #1 Top Selling game globally on Steam. Quite an accomplishment for a shorter single player indie horror game, and especially as for some reason this game has hardly been getting any coverage.

As I said before journalists who complain about Steam and visibility issues and cheering for Epic Store are big hypocrites. This is not first time this is happening. And yet indie developers say nothing except complaining about Steam.

Regarding Anthem, as I said in Review Thread I think that BioWare has big issues and that in their case EA is not one to blame. This is second game in a row for them that was in development for 5+ years that wasn't ready for release. Even if EA gave themnyeae or two more I don't think that they would be ready. Something is wrong with production at BioWare and unfortunately EA had to say "release it" at one point.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
was it Uzzy who was abusing Shadow of Lara's photo mode? Because fucking hell that game is gorgeous.
Why "was", I still abusing it!
InquisitorAles
TatteredDefiantHamster-size_restricted.gif
What? Do you want me to spam my screens here to prove your point that SotTR is a gorgeous game? I'll do that regardless though:
C4108D10416A15B9BEC2008917B45568861529CE
96B3DAF581CB40DE6C81F97E35645BB172BBEC81
275171A64CBAB6D80EF5C97EE89CA46A6A4AB12A

That's really cool video
I've tolerated many broken, ugly ass games, but I couldn't play JC4 in its current state for more than 1 hour. Wait for patches and all DLCs.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Would this allow the client to be able to sync with a gog account and match games so that community elements can be used with that game if run thru steam?

No. If the tweet is correct it just lets your Steam client (once it gets the overhaul) pull and display information such as: Release date, languages, categories, genres, etc... Like the tweet says.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Would this allow the client to be able to sync with a gog account and match games so that community elements can be used with that game if run thru steam?

I doubt, Valve even removed option to see screenshots from non-Steam games on your feed. But I would love to see option to manually link those shortcuts to Steam entries in library.

That was big issue for me for example when I played AC1 and wanted to use guide for the flags. And I couldn't just go to guides like you can with games bought on Steam.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No. If the tweet is correct it just lets your Steam client (once it gets the overhaul) pull and display information such as: Release date, languages, categories, genres, etc... Like the tweet says.
Oh that's cool I guess.
I doubt, Valve even removed option to see screenshots from non-Steam games on your feed. But I would love to see option to manually link those shortcuts to Steam entries in library.

That was big issue for me for example when I played AC1 and wanted to use guide for the flags. And I couldn't just go to guides like you can with games bought on Steam.
Stingy Volvo....

zon

Oct 28, 2017
It's disappointing to hear that Kiwami is average at best. After 0 I wanted more Yakuza fun. :(

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

You can use the web browser with the steam interface (which is shitty but does the work).

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It's disappointing to hear that Kiwami is average at best. After 0 I wanted more Yakuza fun. :(

When people say stuff like this, they realize that Kiwami is just a "fancy" remaster of the very first game in the series right? The one most likely to be full of issues. While Yakuza 0 is one the newest games in the series which has had time and maturation of the series/developers to get better over time and improve in all kinds of ways?

People expect too much. You can't just bring a 14 year old game back from it's grave and expect it to line up with a game developed in today's environment.

... Or am I the weird one? o_o

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's legit in that they mostly get their keys from physical retail releases, but it's not a publisher authorised reseller. I've bought a couple of dozen things from them and never had a problem.
Great, Thanks! I wanted to pick up FFXV on pc and it was 10CAD cheaper on Cdkeys then on the square sale on steam, bought and got my key activated no problem.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ethically gray area. They mostly seem to buy physical copies from regions where games are cheap, strip these of codes, and resell them. Not shady in the way G2A is, in other words. They have pretty decent support too.
I am ok with shades of grey, I once bought a pair of shoes from the back of a guys van in a walmart parking lot lol

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Great, Thanks! I wanted to pick up FFXV on pc and it was 10CAD cheaper on Cdkeys then on the square sale on steam, bought and got my key activated no problem.
I just recently played trough FFXV and I wish I have had discovered this Cindy mod way earlier.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506415627&searchtext=cindy

Everytime I talked to her I was like "why does this mechanic dress like a fucking hooker?!"

Also runs great with DLSS at 4K

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Also Anthem subreddit and Assassin's Creed subreddit are prime examples why they are not good place for tech support. AC one banned asking for tech support and Anthem one is flooded with people that defend it at all cost.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
They can sometimes sell region locked/specific keys. The game's page will mention that so keep that in mind for future purchases.
Also buying thru paypal without logging in is fine as they send the key to the email linked to your paypal.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I just recently played trough FFXV and I wish I have had discovered this Cindy mod way earlier.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506415627&searchtext=cindy

Everytime I talked to her I was like "why does this mechanic dress like a fucking hooker?!"

Also runs great with DLSS at 4K
Man that mod is awesome, I am installing it, she actually looks like a mechanic now!, And yeah playing in 4k with DLSS and it looks super good! solid locked 60 on my 2080ti

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is referring to "verbs" and "nouns" as the actions you perform in a game and the themes of the game's world respectively a new trend in videogame critique, or has this been going on for a while now? I expanded my podcast horizons a while ago, and I keep hearing it on Waypoint, Crate and Crowbar, and Video Games Hot Dog. Never heard this terminology on Giant Bomb or 8-4, for example.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
ok finally done with yakuza kiwami

didn't do any more side missions, left the majima stuff half way through and went straight for the ending. sadly, it wraps up in a very unsatisfying way tho it was kind of unexpected since the story was kind of unexciting before too

overall a big disappointment given how good yakuza 0 was, kiwami is just kind of irredeemably uninspired, nothing about it comes close to matching 0 and the majima stuff is really awful and the story feels rushed and disconnected, i really didn't like this game

honestly i feel like i would've had a better time playing the ps2 original cos at least it would've been interesting to see a different looking and playing game, this is just copy paste of the worst kind

ugh, no, bad

also wtf at amazing grace being the credits song
While this type of reactions are understandable it's also why I've been against the common advice of starting the series with 0. Zero offers so much, so finely put together that a PS2 remaster afterwards can be too much of an 'downgrade'.

I was similarly let down by Kiwami's ending, but otherwise yeah, game's alright and Yakuza. Also why I'd say the side stories are def worthwhile.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Is referring to "verbs" and "nouns" as the actions you perform in a game and the themes of the game's world respectively a new trend in videogame critique, or has this been going on for a while now? I expanded my podcast horizons a while ago, and I keep hearing it on Waypoint, Crate and Crowbar, and Video Games Hot Dog. Never heard this terminology on Giant Bomb or 8-4, for example.
I think the verb thing comes from the old text adventure games where you literally had to type out verbs and objects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_fiction

Which eventually evolved into selecting the words instead of typing them.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-maniac-mansions-verb-object-interface-revolutionised-adventure-games/

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
GMTK has been intentionally pushing "verbs" for a while. First time I hear about "nouns" though, especially since your description seems at odds with what I understand to be the point of introducing "verbs" (not that I like either) - focus on making actions retargetable.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think the verb thing comes from the old text adventure games where you literally had to type out verbs and objects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_fiction

Which eventually evolved into selecting the words instead of typing them.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-maniac-mansions-verb-object-interface-revolutionised-adventure-games/

Ah, of course. That makes a lot of sense. Didn't even occur to me.

GMTK has been intentionally pushing "verbs" for a while. First time I hear about "nouns" though, especially since your description seems at odds with what I understand to be the point of introducing "verbs" (not that I like either) - focus on making actions retargetable.

I might've misunderstood nouns. I think I heard it on Waypoint and/or Crate & Crowbar, but they don't really explain the use of that term, so I always try to infer its meaning based on the context.

Edit: tried looking it up and this is the best I could find in my short search

In essence, any game consists of Nouns and Verbs. For example:

• In Snakes & Ladders (Chutes and Ladders in the US - what's the matter with the US; are they afraid of snakes?) the Nouns are the Counters, the Board, Ladders, Snakes and the Die. The Verbs are Roll (the Die), Move (Counters along the Board), Climb (a Ladder) and Slide (down a Snake).
  • In Magic: The Gathering the Nouns are Permanents (Creatures, Enchantments, Artifacts and Land) and Instants/Sorceries and the Verbs are Lay (a Permanent), Tap (a Permanent), Attack and Play (an Instant/Sorcery). There are two additional Nouns - Mana and Life - which are Count Nouns (Resources).
  • In an arbitrary basic racing video game, the Nouns are Cars and Courses, the Verbs are Steer (a car), Accelerate (a car) and Brake (a car).
  • In the game of Sink (played by Discordians, and people of much ilk) the Nouns are The Float, the water, and the Junk. The Verb is Throw (the Float into the water or the Junk at the Float).
  • In a tabletop RPG (in a general case), the Nouns are infinite and the Verbs are infinite. I knew there was a reason I used to enjoy playing them!
https://onlyagame.typepad.com/only_a_game/2005/11/a_game_design_g.html

So Nouns seem like the systemic components of a game, the "game objects", or (perhaps more simply put) the things that verbs are used with or applied to.

I guess talking about "verbs" and "nouns" simplifies discourse when everyone in the room knows what they mean, but it isn't as conducive to discussion on a forum.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Library filtering/sorting here we goooooooooooo
When people say stuff like this, they realize that Kiwami is just a "fancy" remaster of the very first game in the series right? The one most likely to be full of issues. While Yakuza 0 is one the newest games in the series which has had time and maturation of the series/developers to get better over time and improve in all kinds of ways?

People expect too much. You can't just bring a 14 year old game back from it's grave and expect it to line up with a game developed in today's environment.

... Or am I the weird one? o_o
Nah. I went into it with this expectation and am having fun.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I probably have asked this and it was probably already asked but I'm asking again:

How crucial is the War of the Chosen Expansion for a first time playing XCOM 2? It's on sale on GMG. Currently watching Giant Bomb's Exquisite Corps feature and getting the itch for XCOM.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that MS x Nintendo Partnership, it seems we will be all

SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-max-1mb.gif

Soon.

Lets see what they are bringin to PC too. Hopefully something not shitty, lol

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I probably have asked this and it was probably already asked but I'm asking again:

How crucial is the War of the Chosen Expansion for a first time playing XCOM 2? It's on sale on GMG. Currently watching Giant Bomb's Exquisite Corps feature and getting the itch for XCOM.

It's not crucial at all, but it's probably the best xcom reboot content yet. It's an amazing game without and a masterpiece with it.

If you wanna play the game multiple times play it without expansion and then later with it.

If you only ever wanna play through the game once tho, you should definitely play it with the expansion or you'll miss out on an incredible experience.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
It's not crucial at all, but it's probably the best xcom reboot content yet. It's an amazing game without and a masterpiece with it.

If you wanna play the game multiple times play it without expansion and then later with it.

If you only ever wanna play through the game once tho, you should definitely play it with the expansion or you'll miss out on an incredible experience.

Rarely replay games so I'll probably get it. Thanks!

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
So possibly MS will get all or some Nintendo exclusives on Windows Store and Epic will get all our some Sony exclusives. Rip Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.