• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
530185434567933963.png
Insert dancing_anime_girls.gif here.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
This has been on my wish list for a while. How did you find the difficulty? Is it a time-sensitive game keeping pressure on you? Stressful?

Its good. I did find it difficult for the first couple of playthroughs. Its a resource management builder where you need to prioritise certain things to make it through the cold. The game will throw a few events to set you back but i liked the challenge. The scenarios have an end point that you have to work towards or there is an endless mode (havent tried yet). Not really stressful but when you are low on coal and everybody is sick and there are no more children to send into the mines it can get tense.

Its well worth the price if you like city building / management games. Looks nice, ran really well (although it did crash once in about 16hrs playtime).

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Its good. I did find it difficult for the first couple of playthroughs. Its a resource management builder where you need to prioritise certain things to make it through the cold. The game will throw a few events to set you back but i liked the challenge. The scenarios have an end point that you have to work towards or there is an endless mode (havent tried yet). Not really stressful but when you are low on coal and everybody is sick and there are no more children to send into the mines it can get tense.

Its well worth the price if you like city building / management games. Looks nice, ran really well (although it did crash once in about 16hrs playtime).

Thanks. Good to know there's an end point and events. Lately I feel like I need a certain structure or narrative to follow in games, as I get bored of sandbox games pretty quickly.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks. Good to know there's an end point and events. Lately I feel like I need a certain structure or narrative to follow in games, as I get bored of sandbox games pretty quickly.

Yeah i actually liked that there is a finish line to aim towards . Steam says ive played 16hrs which is a couple of failed goes at the main story scenario and a win.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Devotion. Went from Overwhelmingly Positive to Mixed within 48 hours due to angry gamers upset over a meme.
It seems far more complex than that, with the game having become the target of Chinese players that feel insulted. Not sure how much of this is real, and how much imagination, as some of the accusation seemed like a stretch.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems far more complex than that, with the game having become the target of Chinese players that feel insulted. Not sure how much of this is real, and how much imagination, as some of the accusation seemed like a stretch.

I mean, it's still an indictment of the system that something can be cratered that fast for any reason.

Like, by default, why does someone in the EU or NA even have the game's rating show as mixed if 90 percent of the negative reviews are in Chinese (or coming from a different region in general)? That at least would fix issues like this or when a game gets review bombed for a bad translation or lack of translation.

It at least needs some kind of notification as well. Anyone not aware of the game that stumbled upon it is going to see that it has a lot of bad reviews and won't know the context (and that it was review bombed). They'll just see the Nth first person horror game with bad reviews.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
See that's the beauty of the Windows Store. WIth a normal, boring client, you download it, and the game just boots. But not so with the Windows Store, oh no! This little store always has a surprise waiting for you, from Download issues to random crashes, it's got it all. And with Microsoft (in)famous software quality, you never need to fear that the fun will stop. No matter the year, no matter the OS version, the Windows Store will never be boring to use.

It seems Microsoft has a lot of nostalgia for DOS gaming.

Which reminds me last year when I tried to play Blood on a retro PC (Pentium 2 300 Mhz, 32 MB RAM, Sound Blaster AWE32) and the game would randomly freeze, 30 seconds or 30 minutes after starting. After a lot of troubleshooting I deduced the motherboard was faulty and it was a DMA or IRQ bug. I ended up playing the version of Blood sold on Steam.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Are Digimon games any good? I guess this could be fine, haven't seen tactical RPG in a while.
Well I haven't played any of the lastest ones, so I couldn't say :P. Only played one on the DS a bit and one on the PSP. And this is the first one that's a tactical RPG, so who knows how it will turn out (hopefully good).
I just really like Digimon so the prospect of getting some games on PC finally is very exciting to me.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's still an indictment of the system that something can be cratered that fast for any reason.

Like, by default, why does someone in the EU or NA even have the game's rating show as mixed if 90 percent of the negative reviews are in Chinese (or coming from a different region in general)? That at least would fix issues like this or when a game gets review bombed for a bad translation or lack of translation.

It at least needs some kind of notification as well. Anyone not aware of the game that stumbled upon it is going to see that it has a lot of bad reviews and won't know the context (and that it was review bombed). They'll just see the Nth first person horror game with bad reviews.
I assume Valve doesn't want to compartmentalize the store by regions. While there is some forms of region locking, it seems like Valve only sees it as a necessary evil that publishers demand, and doesn't want to split the user base and their view on the store by region.

As for you suggestion, there is a form of notification. If you click on the review score, it scrolls down and shows you the recent more detailed view of how the score has changed over the last months, with a waning message if it thinks there has been a recent change.

Here is what I see for Detention , the other game by RedCandleGames:
c222947c-9663-4214-b6nskp0.png

Devotion doesn't have that as it's too recent. It seems like Valve only activates this view when a game has been released for a while.

While I do agree that these kinds of "reviews" that don't actually describe the game are ultimately abusing the system, I'm not sure how to address this without doing more harm than good. Valve's hand off approach seems justified here, as reviews are the only way people can make themselves heard if a game is outright broken or is otherwise treating customers poorly.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I never got round to playing Oakwood this weekend, I kept returning to TW: Rome II. It's got that 'one more turn' addictive aspect to it. I don't like leaving things unfinished and jumping from one game to another, I must finish dominating Europe with my cute Italian war dogs! How do you say doggo in Latin? You know what, nevermind.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Dope, bought one of those amd codes for cheap back then. Will be cool when.......you know

Or I might have upgraded it to something else years ago lol

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if by the time Star Citizen comes out, we will have actual FTL technology, so we can compare their prices of their fake space ships with real ones.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least mine hasn't been upgraded and it lists upgrade costing $50.

Well, I'll never play it anyway soo, but if everyone else got upgraded, it means it's rare now :D

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
March Game Recommendations

Send a PM if you have a game recommendation for March, the more the merrier!

Games you could do:
Dead or Alive 6
ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove
Left Alive
Devil May Cry 5
The Caligula Effect: Overdose
One Piece: World Seeker
The Sinking City
Assassin's Creed III Remastered
Tropico 6

2B0QzXu.png

Xenonauts 2 - Gabbo
Katana Zero - BlueOdin
The Division 2 - bmdubya
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Kudo

D7sTtCN.png

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Uzzy

xM8izhq.png

Devil Daggers - spineduke

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone tried to play Mass Effect 1 recently? I'm trying to run it with the high res texture mod and I'm getting like 40fps with 20% GPU usage. I've seen people having issues because the game is designed to run on 1 CPU core but I'm not sure if that's my problem or not.

Specs are i7 8700k, RTX 2080 so shouldn't be an issue.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I had a good laugh when Sweeney appeared on the HoloLens stage today, speaking about the importance of open platforms and speaking against walled gardens.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried to play Mass Effect 1 recently? I'm trying to run it with the high res texture mod and I'm getting like 40fps with 20% GPU usage. I've seen people having issues because the game is designed to run on 1 CPU core but I'm not sure if that's my problem or not.

Specs are i7 8700k, RTX 2080 so shouldn't be an issue.

Played it not too long ago (also with mods), but I didn't have any issues. Have you got "prefer maximum performance" selected in the power settings in the Nvidia control panel?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. I'll give that a go. 8K Mass Effect here we go.

I read a bit about this issue just now. Are you playing on Origin? If so, try disabling the Origin overlay. That's supposed to fix low frame rates. If not, there's always that command line thingy. I have it on Steam and it played nice out of the box, so to speak.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
I had a good laugh when Sweeney appeared on the HoloLens stage today, speaking about the importance of open platforms and speaking against walled gardens.

Tim Sweeney at a microsoft conference of all places (let us just say he spoke about microsoft in the past), talking about this subject of all subjects, fuck me reality broke so hard in 2016 it has still not gotten itself together straight since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.