• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Those waiting in 10nm Intel might be waiting for awhile as it looks like next year will probably be another coffee lake refresh with ice lake in 2020.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ice-lake-for-mainstream-delayed-to-2020.html

How far can Intel push 14 nn ++++++++++?

0E6h2pg.gif

Last edited:

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently looking to upgrade my GPU, but for the time being I'll be using my 960 and was wondering if I'd be able to run the new Battlefield 5 and CoD B4 at 144hz @ 1080p (low/medium settings are fine for me for now)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16gb Corsair 3000mhz DDR4
GPU: MSI 960
PSU: Corsair CX450

Oct 25, 2017
Having built my first PC ever I almost kinda regret I didn't go with a mini ATX build, the Ghost S1 chassi looks very nice... had anyone even got one?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Having built my first PC ever I almost kinda regret I didn't go with a mini ATX build, the Ghost S1 chassi looks very nice... had anyone even got one?

I like mATX and mITX cases/mobos, but I will say, it's so much easier to build in ATX cases. The smaller form factors often make things harder to look neat and tidy (hiding cables) and hotter (same components in tighter spaces).

Don't get me wrong, small form factors are great and I'm even running with an X399M mATX board, but there are downsides, too!

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Hey so it's been a month since I got my new computer, and I just want to thank everyone here for the recommendations you gave me! It's like I never knew games and computers in general could run so well!

Very much enjoying Destiny 2 and FFXIV in 4K/60!

Jul 26, 2018
I'm looking for a GTX 1060 6gb or similar for black friday and I just found this for 200 after rebate:

PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card (AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC)

Do I buy this or should I wait until BF?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Today I'm changing the Thermal Paste of my CPU.

What's the best method to apply it? Pea, line or X? I watched the Jayztwocents vid on it, and he recommended the X to have it cover more of the CPU. What do you reccommend me ?

I'm looking for a GTX 1060 6gb or similar for black friday and I just found this for 200 after rebate:

PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card (AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC)

Do I buy this or should I wait until BF?

It seems that AMD is trying to sell them fast, even here in Chile they are droping the prices of 580 and 570. I'd wait til BF, 1060 6gb has slightly better performance than those cards but it's still a good deal

Jul 26, 2018
It seems that AMD is trying to sell them fast, even here in Chile they are droping the prices of 580 and 570. I'd wait til BF, 1060 6gb has slightly better performance than those cards but it's still a good deal

I'll just pick either a GTX 1060 6gb or an RX 580 8gb, whichever is cheaper. I'm fine with any of the two. Is is true that AMD is pushing sales? Perhaps they have something to announce in reaction to the the RTX 20 line? Just a wild speculation anyway.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Today I'm changing the Thermal Paste of my CPU.

What's the best method to apply it? Pea, line or X? I watched the Jayztwocents vid on it, and he recommended the X to have it cover more of the CPU. What do you reccommend me ?

This has been tested a thousand different ways, but ultimately, a drop in the center of a small pea is the easiest and consistently works well.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I think I'm going to redo in the Ghost S1 chassis (when I can get one). Anyone have any tips and suggestions?

I'll use the Noctua NH-L12 for sure. I already have a Corsair SFX 600.. though bigger capacity is better if I find something.

I'll be using a open air, high TDP GPU. Currently I'm using 1 M.2 drive and two 2.5" spinners, though that could change if needed. I'm looking into the Tophats and all that now.

Last edited:

Montane

Oct 27, 2017
I realise there now seems to be quite a few people in this thread wanting to upgrade from a 970 but I just wanted to double check something with my own system before making a purchase.

I'm currently rocking a 4670k with 8gb of ram and a gtx 970. This all runs a 1920x1200 monitor so no crazy 4k resolutions for me at the moment.I feel I've reached the point where I'm running in to games not running as well as I would like (I just want to be able to crank the settings and play at 60fps on games going forward. E.g BFV and AC:O being the two upcoming releases that spring to mind)

Would a 1080ti be overkill to the point I might as well get a 1080 as I won't see a difference?
On another note I have a bequiet! 530w power supply, would I need to upgrade that if I'm buying a new card?

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
If you're aiming for higher refresh rates, sure, but it's better suited for 1440p I'd say. 1080 ti is the better higher frames card.
Refresh rates? I'm a total noob so I have no idea what are you talking about lol.
Anyway, the PC I linked in my previous post doesn't ship to my country so I canceled it.
So I have to choose between this one one and this. Can you help me to choose between them?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It's not super important for most CPUs. They're all mostly the same. What CPU do you have?

EDIT:

i7-4770

Will watch the vid when I can, thanks!

I'll just pick either a GTX 1060 6gb or an RX 580 8gb, whichever is cheaper. I'm fine with any of the two. Is is true that AMD is pushing sales? Perhaps they have something to announce in reaction to the the RTX 20 line? Just a wild speculation anyway.

Probably that. One would assume AMD has something to show after the 20 series

This has been tested a thousand different ways, but ultimately, a drop in the center of a small pea is the easiest and consistently works well.

Yeah, that seems to be the case, probably the better overall

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I have a new computer from Dell and something came up asking me to update my Bios as it was labelled "Urgent", I did and then I looked up what they do and I've been seeing a lot of places saying not to update unless there is a problem with your PC. Obviously I've had no problems with my PC before the Bios update and so far things seem okay. The update was released from August this year.

AM I in the clear or should I roll back? Can I roll back if I should?

This is the Bios I updated to:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...e=inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop&driverId=00CW2

And like I said, so far, so good.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Refresh rates? I'm a total noob so I have no idea what are you talking about lol.
Anyway, the PC I linked in my previous post doesn't ship to my country so I canceled it.
So I have to choose between this one one and this. Can you help me to choose between them?

Are you going to be overclocking your CPU? If not, and you're not going for higher refresh rates (aka, FPS above 60+ in games) then you don't need in i7 8700k.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hey guys, I have a new computer from Dell and something came up asking me to update my Bios as it was labelled "Urgent", I did and then I looked up what they do and I've been seeing a lot of places saying not to update unless there is a problem with your PC. Obviously I've had no problems with my PC before the Bios update and so far things seem okay. The update was released from August this year.

AM I in the clear or should I roll back? Can I roll back if I should?

This is the Bios I updated to:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...e=inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop&driverId=00CW2

And like I said, so far, so good.

If you've already updated, just leave it be. The advice to "not update the BIOS unless your PC has a problem" is because a failed BIOS update (such as losing power to your PC mid-update) can brick your entire system. If you already updated and it worked then there's no point to go back now. You're fine.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
If you've already updated, just leave it be. The advice to "not update the BIOS unless your PC has a problem" is because a failed BIOS update (such as losing power to your PC mid-update) can brick your entire system. If you already updated and it worked then there's no point to go back now. You're fine.

Ok thanks, yeah everything is running well and I'm convinced. Thanks again.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Speaking of RAM, can one use 12gb of ram? 8+4 sticks. I have 8 (2x4) GB of Ram and want to upgrade but it's expensive to buy 2x8gb at the time so I was planning on buying 1x8gb and having 8 + 4 gbs of franken-dual channel

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I understand Samsung is the way to go for ssd. I'm going to pick up a 1tb for more gaming.

I'd also like to grab another high capacity drive. It seems like 4tb is the best price to capacity. Are the Seagate iron wolf drives fine?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I understand Samsung is the way to go for ssd. I'm going to pick up a 1tb for more gaming.

I'd also like to grab another high capacity drive. It seems like 4tb is the best price to capacity. Are the Seagate iron wolf drives fine?

Samsung's 960/970 Evo are good for 1 TB SSDs. Also consider the ADATA SX8200 (it actually outperforms the Samsung drives in some instances and is usually cheaper), the WD Black, and the HP EX920. At least, if you're looking at an NVMe drive. For SATA3 drives most of them are fine.

Seagate's lineup of HDDs is generally fine, yes. I'd say Toshiba is also a good choice as are most WD or Hitachi drives.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I should've clarified. I'm lookkng for sata3. Is there any sense paying the Samsung premium in this case?

Is the Samsung 860 evo 2.5 SATA 3 fine? It's in my price range at $220 CAD.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I should've clarified. I'm lookkng for sata3. Is there any sense paying the Samsung premium in this case?

Is the Samsung 860 evo 2.5 SATA 3 fine? It's in my price range at $220 CAD.

Thanks for your help.

The 860 Evo 2.5" is great! I don't know if paying a premium of more than $10-$20 is worth it necessarily (assuming roughly the same warranties on both), but it's a good drive that has been around for a while and is very dependable. I If it's in your price range, I say go for it.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
AMD RX 680 rumored to be announced within the next month with supposed performance around GTX 1070 performance. Super, duper, rumor mill stuff though, so I don't recommend delaying purchases based on this rumor.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently using a split power cable to my GPU - I think the split heads are 6+2, so one of them is 8 and the other is 6. For the 2080 Ti, however, I want to use 2 separate cables - 2 8 pins. Any suggestions on which cables to buy?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Is this the place to ask for pre-built recommendations? I'm way too dumb to build a PC :)

Sure!

I'm currently using a split power cable to my GPU - I think the split heads are 6+2, so one of them is 8 and the other is 6. For the 2080 Ti, however, I want to use 2 separate cables - 2 8 pins. Any suggestions on which cables to buy?

Uh... you should use the cables that came with your power supply. Anything else could fry your hardware. I blew up two SSDs using other PSU's cables a while back. Learned that the hard way...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-9900k-price-amazon,37871.html

i9-9900k apparently is listed at $582 on Amazon US. Grains of salt and all that, I'm not convinced that it isn't just a placeholder.

dpunk3

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts, USA
Sure!

Uh... you should use the cables that came with your power supply. Anything else could fry your hardware. I blew up two SSDs using other PSU's cables a while back. Learned that the hard way...

i9-9900k apparently is listed at $582 on Amazon US. Grains of salt and all that, I'm not convinced that it isn't just a placeholder.

It went up on Intel's website for $480 a few days before so it only makes sense as a placeholder.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best keyboard for PC that's similar to the Apple Magic Keyboard? I'd like something with media and arrow keys but I dont want the number pad.

I like the Surface Keyboard a lot and I wish it came in a smaller size. Any recommendations? Mechanical keyboards are preferred.

l0rd_farquaad

Banned
Sep 19, 2018
Should I be worried about my RTX 2080 constantly hovering around 80-82 when playing at max load? My room is getting insanely hot...

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Sure!

Even if they are cables from the same manufacturer (Corsair) and listed as compatible with the series/model of PSU that I have (HXi Platinum)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6G25K8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_DeTSBb77XAQZB
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Last edited:

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017
Ok if anyone wants to chime in with any suggestions that would be great!

Looking for a pre-built computer: would like to keep it under 1,000 if possible. I'm interested in emulating old games, up to PS2 and Gamecube if possible, and playing games that aren't easy to play on console: sim, building, etc. I may want to play more demanding games if the PC can handle it! I would need a keyboard and mouse, and I plan on hooking it up to my TV.

Thanks again if anyone can recommend something :)

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Could someone remind me how to update nvidia driver without GeForce experience again? GeForce failed again on last update

Also best advise for swapping to a ssd? Win 10 swap with clone or fresh install? If there's a recommended guide or YouTube vid I'd much appreciate it

Romac1314

Nov 6, 2017
Sold my i5 8400 and 1050ti on ebay this week, and installed a 8700k today. Now I'm sitting here back and forth on picking up a 1070ti/1080 or holding for the 2070 preorders. Not a hardcore pc gamer by any means but enjoy the project/tinkering, and seeing so many 1070ti's around the $399 mark right now is tempting and would still be a huge step up for me. Opinions?!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sold my i5 8400 and 1050ti on ebay this week, and installed a 8700k today. Now I'm sitting here back and forth on picking up a 1070ti/1080 or holding for the 2070 preorders. Not a hardcore pc gamer by any means but enjoy the project/tinkering, and seeing so many 1070ti's around the $399 mark right now is tempting and would still be a huge step up for me. Opinions?!

What resolution are you gunning for?

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just a quick question: I have a 3 TB hdd in my old pc that I was just using for storage. Is it possible to just take out the hdd and put it in my new pc build if it's not the drive that had windows installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.