Status
Not open for further replies.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Would you guys upgrade from a 1080Ti FTW OC to a EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra for 1k$. I could probably get $500 for my card.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I've built 1 PC in my life, and that was in 2012. 99% of the knowledge required has left me, and I wasn't much of a tech guy to begin with. Since then, I upgraded from like a 680 to a 1070ti (last year) and replaced some RAM once or twice. Now I've been working for 7 years and feel like it's time to treat myself.

1) What's your budget and currency?
The peace of mind of feeling future proof to me is worth 1500-2000.

2) What do you want to use the computer for?
Games. No video/audio editing or art stuff or anything like that.

3) How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
By the end of June.

4) Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
I don't know if this is viable but my plan is to go top-of-the-line for everything except GPU, and then use the 1070ti that I have. Eventually replacing it with a 2080 maybe. If possible. AKA future proof everything but the GPU. Everything else from scratch. (including case)

5) Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
PC itself. For now I'm at peace with my Monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

6) Are you interested in overclocking?
Nope.

Other details:
-Video tutorials are a godsend. For my first build I looked at like the newegg installation video for every single thing.

Last edited:

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Holy shit...
3rd-gen-ryzen-performance.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2019/05/23/amd-in-shock-intel-smashing-performance-claim-is-cinebench-score-really-true/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Valerie/&fbclid=IwAR3-qpNkzJgmmT4-YUH7RDisa_GA9kCLZLD5v0mACG2uEaMDdqwZenCRuUI#28a648c56341
Day one for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll, i got a friend who is selling me his Ryzen 5 1600 for 70 and i'm wondering if anybody has any good builds based around that. I've already looked around and found some parts, but any recommendations would be appreciated, i'm trying to stay under $500 for this one. I am attempting to game on this one, but not too graphically intensive.

Thanks! :)

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I run right now. I have a 9600K and a GTX 1080 FTW3. I wanted to be modern and be able to run Battlefield V and The Division 2 on high settings at 1440p. It's excellent for current games.

But I'll be perfectly honest with you, I was wanting the 9700K or the 9900K when I built it. It looks like things are probably going to head to 8-core support in the near future with the next-gen consoles running on cut-down Ryzen 3000s. I'm still planning on getting a 9900K and selling my current cpu. (the newly uncovered vulnerabilities have put a damper on that plan)

It's a double-edged sword. The 9600K is one of the best/cost-effective ways to get current with PC gaming. Alas, it only has six cores. I wouldn't say that it's going to be a problem going forward anytime soon. But you might start to feel the effects of it in a few years. It's def not a bad time to build a PC but I'd wait to see what the Ryzen 3000 processors bring in July, first, before buying new core components right now. If you have to build today then the 9600K for ~$229 is a great choice. All those extra cores don't do a whole lot and Intel is still on top, for gaming purposes.
Thanks for the info. I might wait for Ryzen and then go again, thanks!

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
So excited for Monday. Don't even particularly need to upgrade, but I just want to see whether Ryzen 3000 is as game-changing as it's rumored to be.

Although knowing me I might just end up upgrading from my 6700k anyway, just for the hell of it. Just the CPU and Mobo ^^

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Right now I have a 4k/60hz big screen TV + two pretty cheap pc monitors. I'm thinking to get rid of the two pc monitors and replace them with a 144Hz 1440p monitor. My video card is an Nvidia 1080 gtx but I read it can use freesync through a display port blah blah if manually enabled.

Monitor I am looking at is here:

The prices on those 2080Ti are crazy expensive so thinking naturally the bigger bang for my buck is going with a nice curved 144hz monitor. I don't even play competitive fps but I do play them coop (like Far Cry series and Ghost Recon Wildlands plus upcoming Ghost recon Breakpoint)

Someone holla if you're thinking I'm making a big mistake. Not purchasing for til like 2-4 weeks. Would like to stay within $299-$399 range for a 1440p 144hz monitor.

My only research has been this article if that matters. So any other research material is welcome. Article: https://www.techspot.com/article/1779-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Finished my build last night and tried out a couple of games this afternoon, but I'm noticing performance isn't quite what it should be.

The system has an i9 9900k stock with a RTX 2080 and 16GB DDR4 3000mhz, running my games off a Samsung 970 Evo SSD.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (one of the main reasons I upgraded from my old crappy processor) is running rather badly. In both the benchmark and ingame, I never hit 100% usage on either my GPU or CPU and if I leave the game at standard 1440p, the framerate is all over the place. If I up it to 4k or even 5k resolution, the CPU usage still stays quite low and the GPU still doesn't hit 100% usage, it just jumps around between 80-95ish. The framerate at 1440p in the centre of Athens jumps around all over the place from around 40-80fps, completely unstable. At 4k it just continues doing the same, but with a smaller window. It's even unstable out in the countryside with nothing around.

Any ideas on why I might not be hitting 100% usage at all?

I've got some other games downloading as we speak to test further.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Finished my build last night and tried out a couple of games this afternoon, but I'm noticing performance isn't quite what it should be.

The system has an i9 9900k stock with a RTX 2080 and 16GB DDR4 3000mhz, running my games off a Samsung 970 Evo SSD.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (one of the main reasons I upgraded from my old crappy processor) is running rather badly. In both the benchmark and ingame, I never hit 100% usage on either my GPU or CPU and if I leave the game at standard 1440p, the framerate is all over the place. If I up it to 4k or even 5k resolution, the CPU usage still stays quite low and the GPU still doesn't hit 100% usage, it just jumps around between 80-95ish. The framerate at 1440p in the centre of Athens jumps around all over the place from around 40-80fps, completely unstable. At 4k it just continues doing the same, but with a smaller window. It's even unstable out in the countryside with nothing around.

Any ideas on why I might not be hitting 100% usage at all?

I've got some other games downloading as we speak to test further.
A couple thoughts:
  • Have you checked CPU and GPU temps during gameplay (MSI Afterburner)? Make sure nothing's getting thermal throttled.
  • Are you running a dual monitor setup, with different refresh rates between primary and secondary? (Ex. 144hz + 60hz.) If so, see this thread, particularly this step:
Next go to your nvidia control panel and click on adjust desktop size and resolution.Set both your monitors to "Perform Scaling on" to your GPU and not the display which is the default.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
A couple thoughts:
  • Have you checked CPU and GPU temps during gameplay (MSI Afterburner)? Make sure nothing's getting thermal throttled.
  • Are you running a dual monitor setup, with different refresh rates between primary and secondary? (Ex. 144hz + 60hz.) If so, see this thread, particularly this step:
Temps seem mostly fine. The CPU is sitting on 50-60 and the GPU is between 70-80.

It's just a single 165hz monitor, but I do have scaling turned off because of problems with getting DSR to work properly.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Would you guys upgrade from a 1080Ti FTW OC to a EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra for 1k$. I could probably get $500 for my card.
How much of a performance boost is that? Might your budget be better spent towards something else? I asked myself this question since I was considering going from a GTX 1080 -> 2080 ti but for me, the answer was just get a 144hz 1440p monitor instead. As I explained earlier, I have 3 screens connected (TCL 4k TV, 1 1080p monitor, & old monitor). After I get the monitor I'll try to give it a few weeks and think bout my next move. Putting off the video card upgrade because I'm not too impressed with the 2080 ti benchmarks. For over 999.99 I want to be soaring way beyond 4k/60ps on my setup. I already have the intel i9-9900k but I justified that expense for productivity

So are you happy with your monitors, desk, etc? Can that budget get you much better bang for the buck elsewhere?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Temps seem mostly fine. The CPU is sitting on 50-60 and the GPU is between 70-80.

It's just a single 165hz monitor, but I do have scaling turned off because of problems with getting DSR to work properly.
Turned off Win10 Gaming Mode? Let Windows finish all its updates? Updated SSD firmware, chipset drivers, etc.? Checked your Geforce Experience settings?

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Turned off Win10 Gaming Mode? Let Windows finish all its updates? Updated SSD firmware, chipset drivers, etc.? Checked your Geforce Experience settings?
Yep, to all of those. I've updated everything I possibly can and Windows Update ran its course this morning and has nothing else left. Not sure what else to try.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Are you running 2x8GB, DIMMs in the appropriate slots for dual channel, and XMP enabled to get to 3000 speeds?
I enabled XMP this morning and verified the speeds in CPU-Z, so that's fine. In terms of the channels, it's a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro and according to the manual, the first two slots are A1 and A2 and the second two are B1 and B2. So I've got both modules in A1 and A2.

I've just noticed my SSDs are running kind of hot. The motherboard has the M2 slot right under the graphics card and my Samsung 970 Evo is running at 65 degrees while gaming.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I enabled XMP this morning and verified the speeds in CPU-Z, so that's fine. In terms of the channels, it's a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro and according to the manual, the first two slots are A1 and A2 and the second two are B1 and B2. So I've got both modules in A1 and A2.

I've just noticed my SSDs are running kind of hot. The motherboard has the M2 slot right under the graphics card and my Samsung 970 Evo is running at 65 degrees while gaming.
See the "Dual Channel Memory Configurations Table" in the manual. For dual channel, you want to use A1+B1 or A2+B2.

As for the NVMe temps, I had that same question when I did my first build with an NVMe drive last year (also a 970 EVO). Apparently they're supposed to run pretty warm. Not the temps you're used to with 2.5" SATA SSDs.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I got banned last week and was bored so decided to do some upgrades lol:

Scored a 9900k for $431 out the door at Fry's

156ce119-0a28-4e3f-9pdkrr.jpeg

619214b1-79d8-4851-846jau.jpeg

Running at 5.0ghz on a Corsair h100i Pro with cheap Thermaltake TG-7 paste. It's at least 10c cooler than my 7700k was at 4.8ghz

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Running at 5.0ghz on a Corsair h100i Pro with cheap Thermaltake TG-7 paste. It's at least 10c cooler than my 7700k was at 4.8ghz

That's a great price for the 9900k. I've been considering dumping mine on Ebay to prepare for AMD.

I don't really care what the 3000 series does specifically.. just want to tinker with something different. But hopefully they come thru.

Have been getting some coil whine with my Asus Z370 when using the 9900K too. Annoyed.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That's a great price for the 9900k. I've been considering dumping mine on Ebay to prepare for AMD.

I don't really care what the 3000 series does specifically.. just want to tinker with something different. But hopefully they come thru.
It's more cores if you render video, but that would most likely be a downgrade for games and general usage.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
See the "Dual Channel Memory Configurations Table" in the manual. For dual channel, you want to use A1+B1 or A2+B2.

As for the NVMe temps, I had that same question when I did my first build with an NVMe drive last year (also a 970 EVO). Apparently they're supposed to run pretty warm. Not the temps you're used to with 2.5" SATA SSDs.
Yep, you're right. I totally misread the manual. Swapped the modules around and got them in A1 and B1 now. Thank you.

Performance is still really bad, though. If I turn the graphical settings down turn the resolution down, the framerate still jumps around and hovers around 60. If I turn everything to max and set it to 5k resolution, it jumps around still, albeit 20-40 instead of 20-80.

There's also a crazy amount of stuttering.

You can see here with the benchmarking tool. I was just running around in circles or standing still on the rooftop and the framerate is just constantly going up and down. In the second one, there was insane amounts of stuttering, with the framerate jumping from 20 to 80 to 60 to 20, etc.

In the first one, the GPU usage was staying low. In the second, it was sitting in the 90s but then everytime it stuttered, the CPU usage would plummet.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yep, you're right. I totally misread the manual. Swapped the modules around and got them in A1 and B1 now. Thank you.

Performance is still really bad, though. If I turn the graphical settings down turn the resolution down, the framerate still jumps around and hovers around 60. If I turn everything to max and set it to 5k resolution, it jumps around still, albeit 20-40 instead of 20-80.

You can see here with the benchmarking tool. I was just running around in circles or standing still on the rooftop and the framerate is just constantly going up and down. In the second one, there was insane amounts of stuttering, with the framerate jumping from 20 to 80 to 60 to 20, etc.

Weird, The cpu usage is high of course, but looks like mostly the same settings I use, except I'm in fullscreen mode. Is there a reason you use borderless?

I have a 2080ti and my GPU utilization swings between like 75-95% depending on what I'm looking at, FWIW. I think if we were playing at 4K it would be pegged at 99%

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

In the first one, the GPU usage was staying low. In the second, it was sitting in the 90s but then everytime it stuttered, the CPU usage would plummet.
I haven't played AC:O, and when I looked up some benchmarks, 60-ish FPS average at 1440p Ultra seems somewhat normal (even with a bleeding edge CPU), but I wouldn't think it should be dipping that low... All I can think is maybe try driver clean & reinstall, or try out some previous driver version.

Are other games having the same problem?

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Weird, The cpu usage is high of course, but looks like mostly the same settings I use, except I'm in fullscreen mode. Is there a reason you use borderless?

I have a 2080ti and my GPU utilization swings between like 75-95% depending on what I'm looking at, FWIW. I think if we were playing at 4K it would be pegged at 99%
I put it in borderless temporarily to more easily see the sensor graphs in Afterburner to check temps and what not. It's normally full screen. When I set the resolution to 4k or 5k, it still doesn't go to 99% usage. just jumps around between 80-96ish.

I haven't played AC:O, and when I looked up some benchmarks, 60-ish FPS average at 1440p Ultra seems somewhat normal (even with a bleeding edge CPU), but I wouldn't think it should be dipping that low... All I can think is maybe try driver clean & reinstall, or try out some previous driver version.

Are other games having the same problem?

Yeah, if it was just hovering around 60, I wouldn't care too much, but it's the constant dipping/stuttering that's driving me nuts.

I've got some other games downloading now, but my connection's pretty slow. Took forever just to get AC:O downloaded. I'll have to try the driver reinstall in a bit.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I dont understand why you posted that video? Both posters are discussing the Intel i9-9900k. Neither mentions the Radeon 2700X. And we (general public) dont know the specs on the 3000
Because the person was talking about selling their chip for a Ryzen 3000?

We don't know exact specs, but we know software hasn't been optimized for its architecture for like a decade +. That video talks about different ways how the Ryzen is the better value but the Intel is the better experience. (PCI-E lanes, quick sync, gaming, clock speeds, software optimizations, etc.)

They're really not as close to each other as people often make them out to be. They all run the same apps, but it's not the same experience.

Ryzen 3000 can add more cores and make improvements on ipc and speed, but for a variety of things you can safedly assure that it's not going to totally dethrone the architecture that has been dominating the market for years. A 16 core chip getting more points in cinebench doesn't mean it's faster for scrubbing through a video timeline, zipping a file, or gaming.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Because the person was talking about selling their chip for a Ryzen 3000?

We don't know exact specs, but we know software hasn't been optimized for its architecture for like a decade +. That video talks about different ways how the Ryzen is the better value but the Intel is the better experience. (PCI-E lanes, quick sync, gaming, clock speeds, software optimizations, etc.)

They're really not as close to each other as people often make them out to be. They all run the same apps, but it's not the same experience.

Ryzen 3000 can add more cores and make improvements on ipc and speed, but for a variety of things you can safedly assure that it's not going to totally dethrone the architecture that has been dominating the market for years. A 16 core chip getting more points in cinebench doesn't mean it's faster for scrubbing through a video timeline, zipping a file, or gaming.

Honestly I don't really care one way or the other. The 3000's will be fine and I want to tinker with something new.

In the meantime I have a delidded 8700k that can drop in to carry the mail just fine.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Honestly I don't really care one way or the other. The 3000's will be fine and I want to tinker with something new.

In the meantime I have a delidded 8700k that can drop in to carry the mail just fine.
Yeah I get that. I haven't played with an AMD for over a decade myself. I'm sure it'll be good and for your purposes sounds like it'll work either way

Been happy with my i9-9900k so far but I've had it less than a month

THat's insane. I paid like $530 at Fry's. Was it just $431 sticker price or what??? -- edit

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I have a delidded 8700k
Ah you're good then, that's going to play 95% of games as good as their 10-core chips that aren't even out yet

THat's insane. I paid like $530 at Fry's. Was it just $431 sticker price or what??? -- edit
It was on sale for $479 + 10% coupon + I was in Portland so there was no sales tax. Got my RAM there too since it was also a killer deal but 'only' 3200mhz. Wanted to get my board there but they didn't have the high-end Gigabyte ones in-store

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I have i7 6700(no K) planning to move to ryzen5 3600x it will worth?

it will be enough for next-gen or should i wait for ryzen 4000 series?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I have i7 6700(no K) planning to move to ryzen5 3600x it will worth?

it will be enough for next-gen or should i wait for ryzen 4000 series?
I'd wait for benchmarks if it's mostly a gaming PC

It will be better for full-core loads like video renders, but the 6700 still is a pretty fast chip in games. Have you overclocked it? (You can overclock non-K Skylake CPUs depending on what kind of board you have https://overclocking.guide/updated-msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide-new-bios/ )

That's really smart. Well played!!!!!
Ha, thanks. It was a coupon I got thru their daily deal emails, FWIW. It did like 20% off everything and 10% of high end items like consoles, CPUs/GPUs, etc.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'd wait for benchmarks if it's mostly a gaming PC

It will be better for full-core loads like video renders, but the 6700 still is a pretty fast chip in games. Have you overclocked it? (You can overclock non-K Skylake CPUs depending on what kind of board you have https://overclocking.guide/updated-msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide-new-bios/ )

Ha, thanks. It was a coupon I got thru their daily deal emails, FWIW. It did like 20% off everything and 10% of high end items like consoles, CPUs/GPUs, etc.
Thanks for this info, I didn't know i could overclock it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I don't have my 2080 Ti installed right now, but I ran the benchmark with 1080 Ti / 9900K @ 3440x1440. My GPU basically stays nailed up at 100% (roughly). I'm around 60FPS but it's bouncing, and of course settings can be a factor.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Word?! I wanted to cut down on emails so I unsubbed everyone!! Bad move!!! I cant be losing money like this. Thanks for sharing your wisdom I appreciate it

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I don't have my 2080 Ti installed right now, but I ran the benchmark with 1080 Ti / 9900K @ 3440x1440. My GPU basically stays nailed up at 100% (roughly). I'm around 60FPS but it's bouncing, and of course settings can be a factor.
Yeah, I can't get it to get to 100 usage at all.

I've now tried it in Sekiro, Dishonored 2 and GTA V and it never hits 100 usage ever. In the other games it tends to sit in the 90s but never hits 100. In GTA V now, I just put all graphical settings to their absolute max and set it to 4k resolution and it still wasn't hitting 100%.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It feels really good to actually set up a pc yourself. I've never knew anything about pc stuff, my friend built my pc for me in 2012. I recently upgraded and got a new case and was gonna have him teach me how to do everything. I seen a couple of videos and decided to do it myself. Its a lot easier than I thought. Missed some stuff but I fixed it before hand. It was pretty fun though. My cable managment sucks Ill fix it eventually.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
It feels really good to actually set up a pc yourself. I've never knew anything about pc stuff, my friend built my pc for me in 2012. I recently upgraded and got a new case and was gonna have him teach me how to do everything. I seen a couple of videos and decided to do it myself. Its a lot easier than I thought. Missed some stuff but I fixed it before hand. It was pretty fun though. My cable managment sucks Ill fix it eventually.
yeah welcome aboard. I just built from scratch first time myself early this month (I used to let Fry's install the cpu,cooler, and my motherboard into my case when they did it for free yrs ago).

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
So, I'm noticing that when the stuttering occurs (particularly bad in AC:O and happens in GTA V too), the CPU is downclocking itself for like a second every time and then the framerate drops or jumps around. Yet, it's not overheating. It's still being cooled and staying around 60 degrees.

I just ran Cinebench with it and it got pegged at 100 usage across all 16 cores, the temp shot up to 90 degrees almost instantly, but didn't throttle or downclock.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So, I'm noticing that when the stuttering occurs (particularly bad in AC:O and happens in GTA V too), the CPU is downclocking itself for like a second every time and then the framerate drops or jumps around. Yet, it's not overheating. It's still being cooled and staying around 60 degrees.

I just ran Cinebench with it and it got pegged at 100 usage across all 16 cores, the temp shot up to 90 degrees almost instantly, but didn't throttle or downclock.

Just a hunch but could it be the windows 10 standby memory bug?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ks8hm/psa_windows_10_when_the_standby_memory_cache/

Give this a whirl to see if it alleviates the issue.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released From the same guy who created DDU.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Just a hunch but could it be the windows 10 standby memory bug?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ks8hm/psa_windows_10_when_the_standby_memory_cache/

Give this a whirl to see if it alleviates the issue.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released From the same guy who created DDU.
Unfortunately, it didn't help. Thanks for the tip, though.

Gah, this is really frustrating.

I don't know if the low GPU usage is connected to the CPU or vice verse, or if they're just two independent problems.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I have a Cooler Master Elite 130 (ITX) case and a Corsair H80i which is getting on for 4 years old and having a 120mm fan on 100% is kinda loud.

I am keen to move to a decent low porfile cooler, but what good ones are there? The clearance isn't the best in this case although I could be tempted in to a new case + cooler. PSU is a Corsair AX760i though which I do wanrt to keep.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Depending on how the CPU is setup it could be current limited, doesn't have to necessarily be a heat thing.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Depending on how the CPU is setup it could be current limited, doesn't have to necessarily be a heat thing.
How would I go about checking that?

One thing I just remembered is that there are two power connectors for the CPU on my motherboard, one 2x4 connector and one 2x2. My PSU (Corsair HX850) didn't come with any 2x2 connector cables and so I only have the 2x4 connected. Could that be connected?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
How would I go about checking that?

One thing I just remembered is that there are two power connectors for the CPU on my motherboard, one 2x4 connector and one 2x2. My PSU (Corsair HX850) didn't come with any 2x2 connector cables and so I only have the 2x4 connected. Could that be connected?

When you setup the CPU you need to decide if MCE is on/off, what type of power restrictions you place on the CPU (if any), etc. The 9900k will pull massive amounts of current if you let it. I think it's doubtful that the other power connector is a factor unless you're really overclocking significantly and don't realize it.

"Stock" settings with Z390 are usually overclocking by default. I had to work to reel mine in.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I have a Cooler Master Elite 130 (ITX) case and a Corsair H80i which is getting on for 4 years old and having a 120mm fan on 100% is kinda loud.

I am keen to move to a decent low porfile cooler, but what good ones are there? The clearance isn't the best in this case although I could be tempted in to a new case + cooler. PSU is a Corsair AX760i though which I do wanrt to keep.
I haven't had need for a low-profile cooler, but liked the look of the Noctua NH-L9x65 (also available for AM4). Looks like it fits your case (65mm high with 71mm clearance).

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
When you setup the CPU you need to decide if MCE is on/off, what type of power restrictions you place on the CPU (if any), etc. The 9900k will pull massive amounts of current if you let it. I think it's doubtful that the other power connector is a factor unless you're really overclocking significantly and don't realize it.

"Stock" settings with Z390 are usually overclocking by default. I had to work to reel mine in.
Apart from enabling XMP, I basically haven't touched any settings in the BIOS.

Does MCE need to be turned off? I presume it's in the BIOS, by the sounds of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.