• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn nvme drives are the real fucking deal, like wow.

Eliminates almost 100% of my ingame stuttering for only £85. So good.

Edit :: Aha, didn't see the above post. Nvme drives are incredible. I just bought the 970 in place of a SanDisk SSD and the difference is huge ingame. Windows performs about the same however.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
They're airflow fans.

From the specs on their site, ShadowWings seems to be one of these jack of all trades, both airflow and pressure, compared to PureWings, static pressure appears to be its strength, but they don't have higher static pressure than the SilentWings,which are the ones that also come with their Rock Pro coolers. So Probably not ideal for radiators, but good enough for dust filters.

Alright thanks to both of you! I was asking because I'm using a 140mm ShadowWings as an unfiltered exhaust fan and wanted to know if I should get something else but sounds like I should be fine then! :)

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Alright thanks to both of you! I was asking because I'm using a 140mm ShadowWings as an unfiltered exhaust fan and wanted to know if I should get something else but sounds like I should be fine then! :)

As a quick note, you don't need to filter exhaust fans anyway. Any dust they pull in you'd want to be blown out :) Intake filters are nice but also not an absolute requirement, though you will want to clean out any dust more retularkr if you don't have an intake filter.

Oct 29, 2017
Alright I see. Do they really make much of a difference?
There is a difference, especially taking noise into account, but there are very few blower style cards ( the ones we could tell for sure are drastically hotter and noisier), while there are multiple 3 fans models this time, so far without benchmarks we can't tell if any price difference is really worth it or not, if other brands actually have a better performing card for a lower price, or how Founder's Edition fares this time with their new cooling method.

Some of the tech news outlets are also pointing out that the first batch of cards wont be very different from the reference model since a lot of them have reference circuit boards, and that later down the line is when we may see board partners launch more customized models.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Is the Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM good enough for 8700k if I don't oc and jusg rely on turbo boost? What thermal paste should I get?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM good enough for 8700k if I don't oc and jusg rely on turbo boost? What thermal paste should I get?
Yes, but get literally any other $30 cooler to spare yourself the torture of having to deal with its mounting system. A Cryorig H7 is a good alternative.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
As a quick note, you don't need to filter exhaust fans anyway. Any dust they pull in you'd want to be blown out :) Intake filters are nice but also not an absolute requirement, though you will want to clean out any dust more retularkr if you don't have an intake filter.

Yeah of course, I realized that an exhaust dust-filter would be pretty silly, I just mentioned it just in case :P And yeah makes sense, my R6 is all around filtered, my intakes are two Phanteks PH-F140MP at the front and one ArcticF12 at the bottom, I just wanted to make sure the ShadowWings can keep up with getting the heat out :)

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I built a Ryzen threadripper 1900x build for my dad. Only bought two sticks 8gb 2666 speed RAM. I've read that quad channel will truly make the cpu shine. That being said, the pc is randomly freezing up. It isn't a temp issue since it even freezes while idling (~32 celcius). I am thinking its a RAM issue. I updated the BIOS to the mobo to see if that would fix the issue but unfortunately freezing up. I am having my dad run memtest+ run to see if he gets any errors.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference, especially taking noise into account, but there are very few blower style cards ( the ones we could tell for sure are drastically hotter and noisier), while there are multiple 3 fans models this time, so far without benchmarks we can't tell if any price difference is really worth it or not, if other brands actually have a better performing card for a lower price, or how Founder's Edition fares this time with their new cooling method.

Some of the tech news outlets are also pointing out that the first batch of cards wont be very different from the reference model since a lot of them have reference circuit boards, and that later down the line is when we may see board partners launch more customized models.
Hmmm I guess I'll wait a bit before deciding, thanks for your informative answers.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, but get literally any other $30 cooler to spare yourself the torture of having to deal with its mounting system. A Cryorig H7 is a good alternative.

Anyone suggestion on thermal paste, im kind of out of touch with pc building. Last system I built was a i7 4790k...didn't even know the 8700k doesn't come with a cooler.

I am picking up my cpu, mobo and case tmr from a local store, memoryexpress.com. Cpu is a 8700k, mobo is the asus TUF-H370-pro wifi edition, mobo proce point was right and wifi and bluetooth are handy plus 6 sata ports. Case is fractal R6, have the R4, simple and gets the job done and holds a lot of hdd. Gone stick all my hdd from the old pc in it. Already have a 750W psu and ordered a pair of 8 gigs ddr4 2666 ram from amazon. For gpu, i might just wait for the 2070 and use my old 970 for now.

I am trying to get as much as i can tmr from a local store,memory express and get them to price match it thing cost higher. if anyone know any good cooler and thermal paste available on
https://www.memoryexpress.com/. Feel free to make a suggestion. Amazon.ca would work too as long as it has fast shipping.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I built a Ryzen threadripper 1900x build for my dad. Only bought two sticks 8gb 2666 speed RAM. I've read that quad channel will truly make the cpu shine. That being said, the pc is randomly freezing up. It isn't a temp issue since it even freezes while idling (~32 celcius). I am thinking its a RAM issue. I updated the BIOS to the mobo to see if that would fix the issue but unfortunately freezing up. I am having my dad run memtest+ run to see if he gets any errors.

He could also run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic as a second check for the RAM. If it's not RAM, my next guess would be HDD/SSD. Run CrystalDiskInfo and/or CrystalDiskBenchmark to make sure the drives look healthy and are performing well. Next guess after that is maybe power supply? Not sure.

And yeah, quad channel is very valuable for Threadripper... But, there's no reason that dual channel would cause freezing.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone suggestion on thermal paste, im kind of out of touch with pc building. Last system I built was a i7 4790k...didn't even know the 8700k doesn't come with a cooler.

I am picking up my cpu, mobo and case tmr from a local store, memoryexpress.com. Cpu is a 8700k, mobo is the asus TUF-H370-pro wifi edition, mobo proce point was right and wifi and bluetooth are handy plus 6 sata ports. Case is fractal R6, have the R4, simple and gets the job done and holds a lot of hdd. Gone stick all my hdd from the old pc in it. Already have a 750W psu and ordered a pair of 8 gigs ddr4 2666 ram from amazon. For gpu, i might just wait for the 2070 and use my old 970 for now.

I am trying to get as much as i can tmr from a local store,memory express and get them to price match it thing cost higher. if anyone know any good cooler and thermal paste available on
https://www.memoryexpress.com/. Feel free to make a suggestion. Amazon.ca would work too as long as it has fast shipping.
You should get a Z370 motherboard so you can overclock

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Yay Canada!

Do you want liquid cooling? From the post above it seems like you won't be overclocking so an air cooler would probably be fine. Something like this https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36377

Oct 29, 2017

Seeing the prices in memoryexpress, there isn't a lot of selection of cheaper air coolers, so I'll be tempted to go with that EVGA CLC 120 Liquid that is at $70, because that will give you the performance of a $90 air cooler.

For thermal paste you can't go wrong with either the Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic Cooling MX-4 Premium. However, coolers should come with thermal paste.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Goddamn nvme drives are the real fucking deal, like wow.

Eliminates almost 100% of my ingame stuttering for only £85. So good.

Edit :: Aha, didn't see the above post. Nvme drives are incredible. I just bought the 970 in place of a SanDisk SSD and the difference is huge ingame. Windows performs about the same however.
Awesome!
Thanks I'm gonna go for it. Is it true I need an m2 slot with pci-e x4 to get the most out of it?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Seeing the prices in memoryexpress, there isn't a lot of selection of cheaper air coolers, so I'll be tempted to go with that EVGA CLC 120 Liquid that is at $70, because that will give you the performance of a $90 air cooler.

For thermal paste you can't go wrong with either the Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic Cooling MX-4 Premium. However, coolers should come with thermal paste.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Now I will change the mobo to evga z370 ftw, i hope that is good and add the evga liquid cooler. Will stick to the DDR4 2666 that I ordered earlier, since amazon has already shipped it...

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda dumb... I don't want any Gigabyte products cause I don't hear good things about their warranty policies, but hell, I want a figurine of their Aorus mascot to stick in my case:

DaC4SLyXkAEDf9J.jpg

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions on how AMD cards / drivers are nowadays? I've been stubbornly sticking with Team Green for a long while now, but my recent cards have had their fair share of driver issues and prices keep getting worse for each gen, even before this bitcoin craze. My main concern with AMD would be the energy consumption / heat / noise. Totally out of the loop on AMD stuff so I have no idea if there's anything coming up that's worth waiting for.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Any opinions on how AMD cards / drivers are nowadays? I've been stubbornly sticking with Team Green for a long while now, but my recent cards have had their fair share of driver issues and prices keep getting worse for each gen, even before this bitcoin craze. My main concern with AMD would be the energy consumption / heat / noise. Totally out of the loop on AMD stuff so I have no idea if there's anything coming up that's worth waiting for.

Roughly speaking, RX 580 = GTX 1060; Vega 56 = GTX 1070 or maybe 1070 Ti, and Vega 64 = GTX 1080

Some deviations exist between specific games of course, so check benchmarks for games you play a lot. They use more power per frame, but I think noise and heat aren't terrible. That depends on specific card's cooling solutions though. GTX cards dropped in price a ton recently though so it's hard to recommend the (usually) more expensive AMD cards right now, IMO.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the 7nm Vega cards are impressive.

Wasn't there a rumor that AMD put all of their focus into this line of GPUs, causing the current Vega cards to suffer?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Logitech G502 (Proteus Spectrum) mouse today. Loving it, so far. Hopefully it will last me longer than the stupid Roccat Kone[+] one.

I'm looking into some mousepads and possibly wrist rests. Any of you have recommendations or are these all fairly similiar in quality?

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
He could also run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic as a second check for the RAM. If it's not RAM, my next guess would be HDD/SSD. Run CrystalDiskInfo and/or CrystalDiskBenchmark to make sure the drives look healthy and are performing well. Next guess after that is maybe power supply? Not sure.

And yeah, quad channel is very valuable for Threadripper... But, there's no reason that dual channel would cause freezing.

We tested the RAM and everything came back ok supposedly.

Thanks for the reply.

To update the situation. My father is stating the computer is having some poor performance and lagging at times too. Is this due to only using dual channel and not quad channel? I don't see that being the issue because this is supposed to be one of the best cpus in the market.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm having serious trouble getting my new Plex server's RAM stable at 3200, and I really don't want it at 2133.. I'm about to have to suck it up and start dropping the clock speed soon.

CPU is i3-8100 so not exactly built for overclocking anything.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm having serious trouble getting my new Plex server's RAM stable at 3200, and I really don't want it at 2133.. I'm about to have to suck it up and start dropping the clock speed soon.

CPU is i3-8100 so not exactly built for overclocking anything.
are you using xmp? if so, try not setting xmp and instead setting all the settings manually. what motherboard btw?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
We tested the RAM and everything came back ok supposedly.

Thanks for the reply.

To update the situation. My father is stating the computer is having some poor performance and lagging at times too. Is this due to only using dual channel and not quad channel? I don't see that being the issue because this is supposed to be one of the best cpus in the market.

Did you do a clean install of Windows when you built this system, or did you transfer over a drive from an old system with Windows already installed?

How do y'all like to mount your AIO radiators? Front intake? Top intake? Top exhaust?

It depends on the case for me, but I usually prefer it as an intake in the front.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
Dang. All I can recommend at that point is to run some benchmarks (UserBenchmark is decent) and see if anything is abnormally bad. I'd also suggest to just do a reinstall of Windows anyway, update graphics drivers, update the BIOS, update chipset drivers, etc.
There is one thing I noticed and kinda go back to dual channel vs quad channel. This specific motherboard says "channel supported: quad channel". No dual channel. My dad will be getting the two ram sticks soon so if that doesn't fix it then benchmarks and/or reinstalling the OS and drivers will be my next objective. I did run Cinebench and it ran fine with decent numbers (ahead of my 4.8ghz 8700k).

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone is interested in a great gaming monitor I'm selling the Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG for $300 OBO.

Brand-New and shipped to the lower 48.

PayPal FF or you pay the fee.

If this is unacceptable in this thread, I apologize. Just figured someone in here might be looking for a good deal.

phaonaut

Oct 25, 2017
I5 2500k
8gb ram
AMD rx 480

Looking for opinions. 2011 build that I kept updating, should I keep pushing this build or move on and start fresh.

I want to max out the new bfv game, but probably will stick to 1080p monitors I have.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I5 2500k
8gb ram
AMD rx 480

Looking for opinions. 2011 build that I kept updating, should I keep pushing this build or move on and start fresh.

I want to max out the new bfv game, but probably will stick to 1080p monitors I have.

New CPUs from Intel and new GPUs from Nvidia are releasing by the end of the year. It might be a decent time to either pick up those, or pick-up current-gen GPUs (like a 1080 or 1080 Ti) that are dropping pretty sharply in prices. If you get a new CPU from the Ryzen 2000 series (2600 or 2700), Intel's Core 8000 (8600 or 8700k), or 9000 series (not released yet, but maybe a 9600, 9700, or 9900), you'll of course need a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM (your RAM is DDR3 and can't be used in new motherboards).

Depends on your budget, but if you're someone that holds onto a system for 7+ years, I'd say to wait for Intel's new CPUs and then grab one of the mid-to-high end one, a motherboard, 16 GB of DDR4, and a mid-tier RTX 2000-series GPU from Nvidia.

phaonaut

Oct 25, 2017
New CPUs from Intel and new GPUs from Nvidia are releasing by the end of the year. It might be a decent time to either pick up those, or pick-up current-gen GPUs (like a 1080 or 1080 Ti) that are dropping pretty sharply in prices. If you get a new CPU from the Ryzen 2000 series (2600 or 2700), Intel's Core 8000 (8600 or 8700k), or 9000 series (not released yet, but maybe a 9600, 9700, or 9900), you'll of course need a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM (your RAM is DDR3 and can't be used in new motherboards).

Depends on your budget, but if you're someone that holds onto a system for 7+ years, I'd say to wait for Intel's new CPUs and then grab one of the mid-to-high end one, a motherboard, 16 GB of DDR4, and a mid-tier RTX 2000-series GPU from Nvidia.

That sounds like good advice, I think I might opt to wait for new Intel CPU. Thanks.

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea when we can expect the 10 nm intel chips? I wanted to hold off building a new pc till i saw what the intel 10nm looked like.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I keep telling myself I can wait for Zen 2 to upgrade my 3770k

But my roommate grabbing a 2080TI might push me over the ledge, those 2950x look sexy... shame there aren't any great mATX boards for TR4

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I keep telling myself I can wait for Zen 2 to upgrade my 3770k

But my roommate grabbing a 2080TI might push me over the ledge, those 2950x look sexy... shame there aren't any great mATX boards for TR4

Bruh, the X399M Taichi is great! Check reviews. The only thing it's lacking is that it has four instead of eight DIMM slots, but I'm not sure what kind of voodoo would be needed to make eight fit, anyway.

Grab that bad boy, slap in 4x8 or 4x16 GB of DDR4 3200 C14, grab a Noctua NH-U14S TR4 with an extra NF-A15 PWM fan for push/pull, a couple NVME SSDs, and boom, you've got a beast. Get the 1080 Ti on discount or wait for a 2080/2080 Ti.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Bruh, the X399M Taichi is great! Check reviews. The only thing it's lacking is that it has four instead of eight DIMM slots, but I'm not sure what kind of voodoo would be needed to make eight fit, anyway.

Grab that bad boy, slap in 4x8 or 4x16 GB of DDR4 3200 C14, grab a Noctua NH-U14S TR4 with an extra NF-A15 PWM fan for push/pull, a couple NVME SSDs, and boom, you've got a beast. Get the 1080 Ti on discount or wait for a 2080/2080 Ti.
I have a 1080 already, so I probably won't jump to the TI or the 2XXX series just yet...

Have to check out some reviews on that board though, so tempting :(

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Anyone have a pair of relatively compact, high-quality stereo PC speakers they could recommend? I'm wanting to downsize a bit and I have a pair of Swan M10 2.1 speakers I've loved and used since 2011, but I think it's time to get rid of the sub to clear up more desk space. I haven't bought PC speakers since 2011, so I have no idea what to look for. Any thoughts or general advice?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Hey everyone, first time posting in this thread, may I get a quick look on this configuration here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DdJ8P3

Thanks in advance.

What are you using this for? If gaming, I'd get bump down the CPU and bump up the GPU.

And you don't need 650w though not sure how much you'd really save going 550 or 600 - take a look.

I wish the damn i9-9900 K get out already.

You ready to pay out the ass?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hey everyone, first time posting in this thread, may I get a quick look on this configuration here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DdJ8P3

Thanks in advance.

Without knowing what you're doing with the system, I'd have a few suggestions:

1) The cooler is fine for stock speeds, but if you plan to overclock your CPU, I'd recommend something beefier. The NH-D15 would be great but is pretty expensive, so the NH-U14S could be a bit of a compromise that would still allow for more overclocking potential.

2) Unless you're really adamant about the Samsung brand, I'd spend $10 more to get a 500 GB Western Digital Blue SSD. $10 more for twice the storage is pretty solid value, IMO.

3) I'm not a big fan of Cooler Master's PSUs. You can get Seasonic's 650w Prime Ultra Gold for $87 from B&H or Seasonic's 650w Focus Plus Gold for $70 from Newegg. Those are the same price or less than the CM one you picked out and they're regarded as higher quality. Personally, I think a 550w would be plenty for you unless you're massively overclocking your CPU and GPU (and even then, 550w is likely plenty).

Anyway, it'll be a lot easier to help if we knew what you're doing with the system (gaming? what games, resolution, settings, FPS, etc... productivity? what software, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.