Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how so many people want this game to be bad for some reason. It's looked awesome since the day they premiered it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
True, but it's been the same thing in every Bethesda and Obsidian first person RPG - walk up to skeleton and left click until it falls down. Biggest innovation was making it slow motion on-demand.

They said that they didn't really want to focus on changing the formula to much in terms of combat but wanted to double down on what they do best which is quest design and writing and world building.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Weird how so many people want this game to be bad for some reason. It's looked awesome since the day they premiered it.

Theres a certain segment of people that want thing to be bad so

1. they don't have to pay money for it and play it
2. Don't have to play the sequels since they will almost certainly be on Xbox/pc only
3. Other general nonsense

it's childish, i never want a game to be bad.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity isn't better in any regard. I vastly prefer Pillars 1+2 over Divinity 1+2. I couldn't even finish the first Divinity game - tried two times, didn't like it. 2 was better but still far worse than any of the Pillars games. The games are pretty different though and serve different tastes.
Yyyep. Also, Pillars has a pretty unique setting that shrugs off a lot of conventional medieval D&D trappings. The Age of Discovery stuff is superb, and Sawyer's historical and cultural understanding shines through everything.

Sep 25, 2019
Theres a certain segment of people that want thing to be bad so

1. they don't have to pay money for it and play it
2. Don't have to play the sequels since they will almost certainly be on Xbox/pc only
3. Other general nonsense

it's childish, i never want a game to be bad.
I don't want it to be bad, I've just been brainwashed enough times with release hype to read between the lines. Both reviews I read corroborated the same issues. Same old Bethesda pig with fresh makeup.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, this is a Game Pass PC game? Well, now I really do have no excuse not to subscribe (since I also wanted to check out Gears 5 & Bloodstained, among other things).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people say they can play this at 7pm on thursday with gamepass, is that time zone fuckery or is that actually when it's unlocking? I'm EST.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe playable tomorrow with Ireland switching on Xbox ? Anyway. How long is the game ? Don't want more than 30h. Hopefully

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say the post count in this thread scared me until I clicked on it. I am happy to see Obsidian put out yet another success.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Can I play without companions? I always found having them kinda ruining atsmosphere a bit due to how janky they were in NV or bethesda games

I don't know, is it possible for you to get through the game without feeling like you are missing out? As for builds, there are at least three perks for being solo.

I just saw a video this morning that said they don't affect your stealth at all. :)

They might not directly affect your base stealth, but you can increase your stealth without them. Unless when something says "solo" it just means outside a certain proximity, even if you have companions. BTW, your avatar ROCKS.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VentureBeat (91/100):
The Outer Worlds is funny and an effective critique of corporate culture … and the power conglomerates we have in our society. Each world and way station has plenty of quests for you, and most of them have a good little story to accompany them. The characters can be intriguing, subtle, or over-the-top. But you remember them, and that's saying much more than I can about other RPGs I've played this year.

My complaints with The Outer Worlds are small, more quality of life things than anything else. Combat will drag, as it does in many RPGs (and yes, I know Obsidian's isometric combat in Pillars of Eternity can get repetitive as well). Yet the humor, the world-building, and the decisions you face outpace any of my concerns about combat or loot. And it's an excellent followup to Private Division's first published game, Kerbal Space Program.

The Outer Worlds is Obsidian's final game as an independent company (it's now part of Xbox Game Studios), and it's one helluva swansong.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Divinity isn't better in any regard. I vastly prefer Pillars 1+2 over Divinity 1+2. I couldn't even finish the first Divinity game - tried two times, didn't like it. 2 was better but still far worse than any of the Pillars games. The games are pretty different though and serve different tastes.

Pillars has better world building but in terms of character writing (pillars 1 had good character writing but it dropped a lot in 2), quest/level design and combat divinity os 2 is miles better.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing people say they can play this at 7pm on thursday with gamepass, is that time zone fuckery or is that actually when it's unlocking? I'm EST.
PzGiIBK.jpg

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bruv, I'm gonna be a space janitor that eats the rich. Unless they pay me a lot of money. I don't know, it depends.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is looking to be much better than my previous prediction of mid to high 70s overall score.

Have it preloaded on PC GamePass ready to go

Jul 26, 2018
Probay the dialogue choices and ways that Mass Effect tells so many wonderful little stories.

I haven't played The Outer Worlds yet, but it sounds like there are a few similarities:

- new, exciting sci-fi RPG with series potential
- emphasis on companions and squad combat; dialogue, choice and consequence
- your ship acts as the main hub for the game, with locations on different planets, moons, etc. acting as "levels," some with their own hubs

One key difference is that Mass Effect was always an action RPG (that trended more towards action over time), whereas this looks like a pure RPG with a lot more freedom.

Well, it seems the only extra thing I could ever ask for this game is to have a good third-person camera, but I can live with that :P

Seems like I'll have to try this one when I clear my mind a bit, a good RPG shouldn't not be played unless you're in the right mood for exploring and, yeah, role playing...

Ricky

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I never finish Bethesda games. I just can't seem to understand them enough to make a decent enough build. I've tried Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas and always get to a point where I'm not strong and getting wrecked. I guess I just suck at applying skill points. Glad I can try this via gamepass and not have to feel like I wasted money 🤣

*I know this isn't a Bethesda game

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
You are like my alternative reality twin. (I didn't want to write "evil.") I kickstarted Pillars, and was so stoked for it, but I found it to be so awful that I just quit. Went back in and tried it again, and nope, still couldn't get into it. (This was 99% the combat.)

But then I found Divinity. I've played through it like three times now. Wonderful.

Different strokes. :)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never finish Bethesda games. I just can't seem to understand them enough to make a decent enough build. I've tried Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas and always get to a point where I'm not strong and getting wrecked. I guess I just suck at applying skill points. Glad I can try this via gamepass and not have to feel like I wasted money 🤣

*I know this isn't a Bethesda game

Well Oblivion had terrible level scaling, so you were gonna get your ass kicked regardless of what you did.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
There was an article written a couple of months ago where Obsidian was saying how they knew their reputation for bugs and wanted to make sure this game didn't follow suit.

Yeah honestly, Pillars 2 was one of the WORSE pc games I've played at launch. Some unbelievable trainwreck, that one was. Memory leaks every 30 mins, poorly optimized (to say the least), random crashes and on top of that every single stat of the reputation system just wasn't working as it should have

Add to that game breaking bugs and gold exploit. It really was that bad. Not to mention random pc reboots

Like even Arkham Knight was a solid title next to it and I'm not kidding. To this day, PoE 2 still isn't really playable without Kaldaien's mod if you got it on steam, but GOG's version is running more than fine