• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Got this bug outside ellies home, oops.

gBsnkWk.jpg

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I am going into this essentially blind.

I want to play the game on the easiest mode ( I dont have time to dedicate to games like I used to and there is lots I want to experience this fall )
What build uses the coolest weapons?
What build is the most OP? I dont want to manage lots of items/inventory to make the build work. Something straight forward, simple and powerful that can use the most "fun" weapons.

Thanks

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that chromatic aberration ruins the visual fidelity of this. Normally it doesnt bother me, but after turning it off on PC, vs playing on 1X, it makes a huge difference on image clarity.

Hopefully they put a toggle in for it, I really struggle to see at night.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I am going into this essentially blind.

I want to play the game on the easiest mode ( I dont have time to dedicate to games like I used to and there is lots I want to experience this fall )
What build uses the coolest weapons?
What build is the most OP? I dont want to manage lots of items/inventory to make the build work. Something straight forward, simple and powerful that can use the most "fun" weapons.

Thanks
The game is on the easier side generally, and it gets even easier the further you progress. You probably don't have to worry about builds playing on easy.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any update regarding an accessibility patch to increase text size in menus and captions? I keep trying to play and just ending up stopping 20 mins after getting a headache.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
can i position two party members to different spots, or can i only order both to go to one spot?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm about 2 hours in and enjoying it but it's very choppy for me, traveling through the world and doing anything in town drops my frame rate and causes the game to hitch. It never drops under 60 but it feels really bad, it's odd.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pumping points into 2-handed weapons but haven't been able to find a weapon worth a damn. I keep coming across 1-handed weapons with crazy DPS even though I stopped adding points into it after 50 but haven't come across any 2-handed weapons that are better.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been pumping points into 2-handed weapons but haven't been able to find a weapon worth a damn. I keep coming across 1-handed weapons with crazy DPS even though I stopped adding points into it after 50 but haven't come across any 2-handed weapons that are better.

My suggestion, get your hands on the one-handed mace with buzz saws on it. It has a knockdown effect that works almost every time you powerswing, especially during TDD. I knock down mantiqueens with it, even.

- Apply an acid/corrosion mod to it
- Apply the 15% weapon speed mod
- 100 to one-handed melee
- 60 to science for the 25% corrosion damage bonus
- Tinker it up as much as you can afford, whenever you can

It tears enemies of all kinds up.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to all of you re-tried playing the game again.
I did the following: installed the new GPU drivers that came a few days ago; OC my CPU a bit; restarted the PC;
Somehow the above fixed it; I obviously think that nothing above should have fixed it but the game works now.

Completed rosewood. It was cool. I ahve to say i0, extremely impressed with the enemies in this game both the fauna and flora are so much fun to look at (and kill).

also how come the guns here are better then COD? I thought this was suposed to be an RPG
Lol glad you figured it out, karnage!

Technology is weird.
Yo! Normal or Hard!?
If you're looking for difficult combat, at least early on, go Hard. You can always drop it down later if you want (IIRC).

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So question... gassing insects via computer on a pacifist run.. allowed or not?

edit: ended up leaving it be for now. ill swing back around and see if theres another way later.

Last edited:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Love the game, hate the text font it's way too small. Combat is super fun and well written dialog.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Well after 30 hours and nearly all of the quests completed with more or less the "good" ending, I've finally finished my first play-through of The Outer Worlds. Lots of things I could say about it, and I may soon, but despite its flaws and somewhat thin content towards the back quarter of the game, TOW is a great experience. It will be near or at the top of my personal GOTY, it just hits so many of those notes just right in way so few games do these days.

The ending is pretty boilerplate in terms of where it leaves things (at least for the good ending), but I'm still excited to see where they take this world from here. Also excited to see how things change on my planned "idiot corporate apologist" run, but I'm waiting to see if someone can figure out how to mod the Windows store version first. Don't really want to jump into Supernova and run with companions after seeing how easily they go down in Hard without cheesing every single encounter.

But overall, well done Obsidian. Thanks for delivering in a genre that has been languishing for far too long.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doing a mission I must have missed on my first playthorugh, a "C & C Boost Factory"?

Anyway I get inside and sneak attack one of the guards, and Ellie and Pavarti go on a murdering spree, enthusiastically gunning down or stabbing fleeing workers. I was like, I thought I was the crazy one on this team.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really though? I upgraded the plasma cutter gold to the point it was doing 1000+ damage per power swing and just walked through the end of the game.

If we're talking end game, I was killing 3-5 enemies in TTD before they went into full combat mode, and from very far away. The AR I was using was regularly hitting for 2700+ damage. I could do even more damage per shot if I had been sticking with the Hunting Rifle Ultra, but it has a much slower fire rate. So while you can do more damage per shot, you get a lot less shots off compared to the Dead-Eye AR (which kills in one shot anyway). It's not even needed though due to how easy the game is.

There are other ways to deal stupid amounts of damage too. The plasma rifle can be charged up to deal 5K damage from stealth in TTD (but you only get to kill one enemy usually), and the plasma launcher can gib groups at a time. If you actually spend time upgrading your companions, by the time you hit level 12 or so, they can be doing all of the work for you. I haven't even been investing at all in leadership beyond 20 on my current playthrough, and aside from one of them dropping from acid spitters every now and then, they just steamroll shit. I haven't even bothered to get SAM yet, who can usually take out swarms on his own. The player can still kill way faster with proper gear/spec, but you can set the game up where the combat is almost automatic if you want.

Early through the game though, the cheesiest way to kill shit is by staying really far away and blowing heads up. Since enemies tend to go into combat mode after 2-3 kills depending on proximity, you could just kill 1-2 and wait for the meter to reset and do it again. There's zero challenge when in open areas, and sometimes in the interior sections too.

So question... gassing insects via computer on a pacifist run.. allowed or not?

edit: ended up leaving it be for now. ill swing back around and see if theres another way later.

Yes.
It doesn't kill them, it just knocks them out. I gassed them, and they were all still alive.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished my second playthrough as a murderous scoundrel, done for good until we get some DLC or an expansion.

Despite killing almost everyone of importance the ending was still somewhat optimistic.

The only real downside was that every human on a certain planet either had to emigrate, or was eaten by the wildlife. Aside from that the colony seems to be recovering.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I think I'm only two main quests away from beating the game, I have had a ball with the game and I've pretty much played it nonstop since I got it on Friday. Most fun I've had with a RPG like this since New Vegas

ced

Oct 27, 2017
This is starting to feel like a fetch quest fast travel marathon. I'm actually afraid to talk to people now because there might be another quest.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is starting to feel like a fetch quest fast travel marathon. I'm actually afraid to talk to people now because there might be another quest.

Oh boy. How far in are you? I just finished the stuff in Edgewater and was already feeling tired of the structure of side content.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so fucking amazing.
It really reminds of ME1. Having so much fun!

a4f62a7c-9114-4d9f-a817-a9a8296fb938.PNG

This weapon is great, and the way to get it is awesome. That's Obsidian for you :D

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
So 15+ hours into the game, deep into all the Monarch sub-quests, and I only just now realized that tinkering with weapons at workbenches lets me buy damage upgrades.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a real dumb dumb and now poor.
Kept tinkering without really reading and went from kinda-endgame-superrich to being dirt poor very fast.
But at least my guns are nice.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
It doesn;t get any better.....the world is small and condensed so there is little in the way of exploration, so you are mainly jumping from quest to quest. There are also loading screens for every area which is annoying.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that chromatic aberration ruins the visual fidelity of this. Normally it doesnt bother me, but after turning it off on PC, vs playing on 1X, it makes a huge difference on image clarity.

Hopefully they put a toggle in for it, I really struggle to see at night.

Has there been any definitive answer to why CA is even implemented in games? 'Cause no one seems to like it at all.

Is it an aesthetic choice like bloom, motion blur or something? Or is it more of a technical thing that improves engine performance?

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
For me, really solid, feels like Obsidian at their best. I'm still on the first planet though, and I hear the game isn't "open world" but more "large hubs" but so far the first "hub" area and environs feel substantial and packed with points of interest.

The loads between buildings and going outside is a pain. I get the purpose, but I have to sit at a loading screen so I can fast travel and sit at another loading screen. Happens quite a bit. Otherwise I am thoroughly enjoying the game.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Tried a somewhat rushed run on Supernova after finishing on normal. 11 hours playtime. Hardest in the beginning (as with normal) and easier after lvl 15 (when core skills were maxed out)

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion, get your hands on the one-handed mace with buzz saws on it. It has a knockdown effect that works almost every time you powerswing, especially during TDD. I knock down mantiqueens with it, even.

- Apply an acid/corrosion mod to it
- Apply the 15% weapon speed mod
- 100 to one-handed melee
- 60 to science for the 25% corrosion damage bonus
- Tinker it up as much as you can afford, whenever you can

It tears enemies of all kinds up.

That's what I'm using, but that'sa one handed weapon. I'd think given that with 2 handed weapons as my highest stat, and given that 2 have weapons should just be stronger than one handed weapons in general, that I'd be able to find a 2 handed weapon with a higher damage output.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oh boy. How far in are you? I just finished the stuff in Edgewater and was already feeling tired of the structure of side content.
It doesn;t get any better.....the world is small and condensed so there is little in the way of exploration, so you are mainly jumping from quest to quest. There are also loading screens for every area which is annoying.
Honestly, I'm surprised and annoyed at the same time that reviewers didn't actually see this huge issue with the game. Did they forget how the quests in New Vegas was structured? Everything was well-thought of and aligned with the open world design. The condensed maps design undoubtedly hampered The Outer Worlds quests.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm surprised and annoyed at the same time that reviewers didn't actually see this huge issue with the game. Did they forget how the quests in New Vegas was structured? Everything was well-thought of and aligned with the open world design. The condensed maps design undoubtedly hampered The Outer Worlds quests.

I don't know about that. I mean, in Vegas alone (i.e. the city) you encounter really involved and sprawling quests with wildly branching events, so obviously it's possible to do interesting (side) quests while still having a small scope in terms of the actual area you travel.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I've been playing under the influence but the dialogue is legit hilarious. Especially all the smart ass choices.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was lots about the game that reviewers didn't mention.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
There was lots about the game that reviewers didn't mention.
It's insane to me, the game has numerous poorly implemented mechanics, and has a lot of rough edges, reviews ignore almost all of it? I know it's easy to root for the little guy but it's their job to raised these things. I am really glad I had it on Gamepass and not paid 70 bucks,.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So I'm trying to start a second playthrough and it's so damn hard adjusting your stats in this game. I can already feel the mistakes I made and have to restart. Also I don't think I can play this game on any difficulty not Supernova. Fast traveling anywhere is kinda nice, landmines not being the bane of my existence is kinda nice but not having to think about food and drink is just so damn boring and the world is condensed enough that I don't miss those things terribly.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to start a second playthrough and it's so damn hard adjusting your stats in this game. I can already feel the mistakes I made and have to restart. Also I don't think I can play this game on any difficulty not Supernova. Fast traveling anywhere is kinda nice, landmines not being the bane of my existence is kinda nice but not having to think about food and drink is just so damn boring and the world is condensed enough that I don't miss those things terribly.

I'd gladly play on that difficulty myself, but the companions tend to be dumb as bricks in combat and I really don't want to lose them. Has that been an issue for you?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't know about that. I mean, in Vegas alone (i.e. the city) you encounter really involved and sprawling quests with wildly branching events, so obviously it's possible to do interesting (side) quests while still having a small scope in terms of the actual area you travel.
Yeah, you're right. The cities in TOW are not exactly smaller than New Vegas. In fact, if we combine them together, TOW have bigger city landscape compared to NV. And yet, most quests in here would make you to travel to the other parts of the map. Why not make use of the cities and its citizens?

Jan 10, 2018
Finished my second playthrough as a murderous scoundrel, done for good until we get some DLC or an expansion.

Despite killing almost everyone of importance the ending was still somewhat optimistic.

The only real downside was that every human on a certain planet either had to emigrate, or was eaten by the wildlife. Aside from that the colony seems to be recovering.

Are there any companions in the game that would get along with that kind of personality?

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
I'd gladly play on that difficulty myself, but the companions tend to be dumb as bricks in combat and I really don't want to lose them. Has that been an issue for you?
On my first playthrough I did have to babysit them sometimes but that's only because elemental damage is so damn high in this game. Corrosion, Plasma and N Ray damage absolutely demolished them but leveling medical to 40 and Determination to 60 early made it so it wasn't a big deal to pop a heal and cripple the problem enemies to keep them alive. On that note though I always kept them in the heaviest armor possible and tinkered their armor before anything else so that may have been relevant in their survival.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah it's really disappointing, the gameplay is fun but I don't feel like randomly exploring the world. That was strongest aspect of Fallout 3, story, writing, quests sucked but I loved exploring the wasteland.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
People complaining about fetch quests spanning the solar system in a game that takes place in a bureaucratic nightmare of a solar system? That's what this game is about and it's great. There are plenty of quests that are "do along the way" kind of quests. The companion quests in particular are built like that on purpose and one of those is undoubtedly the greatest quest in the game and leads to opening up another great quest in the game that really pokes fun of the bureaucratic bullshit in Byzantium.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane to me, the game has numerous poorly implemented mechanics, and has a lot of rough edges, reviews ignore almost all of it? I know it's easy to root for the little guy but it's their job to raised these things. I am really glad I had it on Gamepass and not paid 70 bucks,.
Reviewers will forgive anything if they like the core game. Yes, it sucks.

I also only paid $1 for it but still

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There's really no better way to lend validity to your argument than whining about reviews