• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Geez. When did we reach the point where 40 hours of content wasn't enough? Anyway, I'm excited to get my hands on this game. I've only seen one mission and the character creation, both of which looked great. Thursday can't come soon enough!
40-50 hours for an RPG seems perfect. Doesn't overstay its welcome like Persona 5 or DQ11.

Anyone have any guesses on what kind of scores this game will get? I'm a little pessimistic at this point and thinking high 70s low 80s. Not sure if reviewers will forgive the game for being AA
What's wrong with low 80s/high 70s? Some of my favorite releases this year have gotten "poor" reviews in the 70s like Greedfall and Code Vein. Fallout: New Vegas was a masterpiece and only got 84 metacritic (Conspiracy theory: Bethesda made sure it didn't review at 85 so they wouldn't have to pay large bonuses to Obsidian /s - although this could partially explain why Bethesda didn't bother to bug test the game to help tank it slightly in reviews...).

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have any guesses on what kind of scores this game will get? I'm a little pessimistic at this point and thinking high 70s low 80s. Not sure if reviewers will forgive the game for being AA

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
I think if the reviewer has played their previous 3 crpgs they'll be fair to it
honestly this game is gonna get more forgiveness than most when it comes to run of the mill bugs
I'm guessing 81-87

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Not sure why a game needs to be "forgiven for being AA" instead of AAA. That's damned sad, I don't think you are wrong either though. I'mma guess low 80's

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expect high 70s, low 80s. Mainly because the lack of polish and in certain aspects, graphics and likely total content will seem lacking for some. We just had another AA title release and it was low/mid 70s. This seems quite a bit better.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Early impressions seem very positive but idk how games are reviewed nowadays. Control is one of the best games this year but got like an 80 overall

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
I'm so glad this game has more colors than brown or grey.

ive been in a soulsborne hole since August definitely needsomething with levity.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if this is a play anywhere title, or if this is available for Gamepass on pc?

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Yeah - we should really make a generic post with screenshots and stuff - as a lot of people want to know :-)

On the console:-

1. Go to settings
2. Choose System
3. Choose "Language and Location"
4. Change "Location" to New Zealand
CLICK "RESTART NOW"

That's it - if you go to the store pages you'll see prices in NZD and outer worlds will launch. Once the game is officially unlocked in your country you can repeat steps 1 to 5 to change back to your original location.
how about for pc gamepass?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Really looking forward to this. Still deciding if I want to get the digital or physical PS4 version. I'm leaning towards digital.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting it to go how New Vegas did at the time.

Launch conversation dominated by bugs, etc. It'll age better than it'll be perceived as at launch.

Pretty much how I feel as well. Bugs and a lack of AAA polish will keep it from breaking the 90 mark, but the story, quests, and characters will be strong.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
it's Up on PC game pass 37.3 GB through Game pass App

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I think mid 80s is probably where it will settle. It'll get some points dinged for not having as much variety in locations/weapons/enemies as a AAA game. Probably for some bugs too, because, well Obsidian gonna Obsidian.

But I think the story, humor, companions and decisions the player makes will be solid and meaningful enough to keep it above the 70s. Replayability should be a positive for it as well. I honestly don't think the length will factor into it for reviews, though it'll probably be a negative in user scores.

85 is my guess. Let the curse be lifted.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
it's Up on PC game pass 37.3 GB through Game pass App

Is it "up" in the sense that you can now finally download more than the 10mb everyone else on PC has been doing over the past few days?

I think if the reviewer has played their previous 3 crpgs they'll be fair to it
honestly this game is gonna get more forgiveness than most when it comes to run of the mill bugs
I'm guessing 81-87

That's not really what fair means. Fair would be going into the game without any biases for or against it, but that will likely be an impossible task anyway given the reputation of Obsidian. They are one of the few developers still interested in making meaty RPGs, and so far one of the longest lasting. As long as the choice and consequences are good, the story and characters are interesting, and the customization options feel fleshed out, they will more than likely get the same pass Bethesda gets for jank. Unless there's just some game breaking shit, I think 81-87 will probably be about right. This shouldn't be another Fallout 76 scenario.

But then of course some will probably put marks against it for also not being a horribly bloated and dull "open world" as RPGs are expected to be now.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are y'all going to be good, bad or attempt to be bad but inevitably be good because it sucks to be mean.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Are y'all going to be good, bad or attempt to be bad but inevitably be good because it sucks to be mean.

I tell myself that I love playing the villain in games that allow it, but I have never actually managed to do it in a first playthrough unless that's actually the only option. I think part of it is just FOMO since more often than not, unless the game specifically caters around neutraility, the "good" path gets you better rewards. So maybe in that sense I am being Lawful Evil? Even when you are doing what would be considered "right", it's very often just for selfish reasons. I also end up finding too much of my own personality creeping through while I am playing, so I'm barely "role-playing" anything aside from pretending to have a different job until the next time, then I go full on jerk mode.

I already have a really good Assassin build specced out, but I'll have to save it for a second or third playthrough since it requires being solo and I want to play with the companions on my first time through. I also have a corporate asshole build in mind as well, but I won't be using that on the first go.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I will go against the board as much as I can - I imagine there will be a bit of good and bad in choosing that path. You can't go full force against the system without harming innocent people trapped in it. Unless there's a third option (which I hope there is considering this is an Obsidian game).

At the same time, I plan to take Parvati with me, and she seems rather naive and maybe a little bit inclined towards the stability that the corporations provide, so that will sure be fun to see play out.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
how about for pc gamepass?
Hey, I don't know for sure to be honest. I've not personally done it on PC.

The site below is instructions for the windows store but I'm *guessing* the Xbox app will run off the same windows 10 settings...

One thing to bear in mind is that windows and Xbox have used the same language in the past for different things. "Region" on Xbox is a holdover from 360 days and means moving your entire account, as if you'd genuinely moved house to a new country. So on Xbox the thing everyone wants to do is change "location" a temporary thing you can do at will.

On pc they seem to use the word "region" more freely, and it seems to translate to "location" in Xbox terminology.

Unfortunately I'm a few hundred miles away from my pc so I can't test it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
When exactly is it going to unlock in NZ?
NZ Countdown for you all:
9do0f.gif

(which may not be correct - double checking it now)

This should be right as it's counting down to midnight NZT which is GMT+13. Which would equal Midday UK time.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Kiribati unlock Gears 5 two hours before NZ ?
For now it says "unavailable" on the Kiribati Store, but it may change.

EDIT: no matter which region I chose it still says 1 AM on the 25th (I'm in France), should be 12 AM if it's a midnight release in France or localized time if a different region, maybe on the MS Store it's a global release this time ? Or it will change in the coming days.
The PC graphic we saw may be for the EGS release.

Last edited:

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
EDIT: no matter which region I chose it still says 1 AM on the 25th (I'm in France), should be 12 AM if it's a midnight release in France or localized time if a different region, maybe on the MS Store it's a global release this time ? Or it will change in the coming days.
The PC graphic we saw may be for the EGS release.
The Windows store converts times to your timezone and the PC version has a simultaneous launch, that's why the time isn't changing when you look at different stores.