• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if you never played it, it's a solid game but don't come in expecting Fallout New Vegas in space. It's strictly a AA open world game and even in the writing department it wasn't all that good. It was serviceable and I didn't regret my time with it, but I think playing it via Gamepass was the way to go

Nov 23, 2018
if you never played it, it's a solid game but don't come in expecting Fallout New Vegas in space. It's strictly a AA open world game and even in the writing department it wasn't all that good. It was serviceable and I didn't regret my time with it, but I think playing it via Gamepass was the way to go
I thought the writing was the best part.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Will eventually get it on a nice $10 discount but iam wondering if MS will publish it and if it'll be regionally priced in my region! MS games are like $16-$20 in my region.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the writing was the best part.
*shrug* compared to other Obsidian titles it didn't do it for me. I didn't get attached to any of the characters either they were just there for the ride. But I feel Bioware for the most part has always done a better job at characters over Obsidian.

The only real character I enjoyed was the janitor bot and that's because he was just screaming every marketing line of his out loud.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Please allow Parvati to go out with the nice engineer lady 🙏🙏🙏. She needs it!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I think the biggest issue with this game is that it tries to be Fallout New Vegas. The whole journey of starting as a powerless drifter to slowly becoming a really powerful character of your choosing. Issue is, it's barely a tenth of the size and length of New Vegas, so it all feels comically sped-up, the actual outdoor levels are also all just silly with how close everything is to each other. (except for one map, but that appears far too late into the game)
Also none of the companions get the time they really deserve to bloom.

It feels to me like the most pointless game that Obsidian has ever made. not because it's bad, but because it feels like it could have easily been so much more.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's the fastest I've fallen of a game, it had a really strong first hour but the big choice you have to make was really on the nose and the combat wasn't all that fantastic.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
It's a top tier AA game, it comes really close to AAA, and filled that Fallout void I've had lately.

Sep 10, 2020
Idk why so many on here seem to dislike this game tbh. I really loved it.
(Then again, I have adored every Obsidian game I've played. Maybe they've just got my number)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this game. If you were waiting for the steam version, please grab it, its really great, and very replayable

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's not a very good game, to be honest, especially by Obsidian standards. Average gameplay, boring exploration, and even writing isn't as good as they're capable of. Obsidian can do much better than this.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
(Then again, I have adored every Obsidian game I've played. Maybe they've just got my number)
Yeah it really just became a trend to shit on this game after it launched. Its sitting at an 82 on opencritic, it s not a bad game by any means.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's a game that is amazing early into it. But the more I played it, the more the cracks began to show and I realized it doesn't really matter how I build my character. The game isn't uniquely rewarding whether you decide to sneak through it, shoot through it, or talk through it because the game is just flat out easy. No reason to put any amount of thought into which skills to level up because it doesn't matter. No reason to put any amount of thought into the perks because they're a very small number of perks that are the obvious ones to get while the rest are just hilariously useless.

It fails as an RPG in the aspect that how you build your character doesn't really matter due to how easy the game is. I realized this halfway through as I continued to be unengaged by the experience as I played and dropped it. If you can manage to finish one playthrough, cool. But there is very little reason to play the game again. Definitely a game to get on sale or through Game Pass.

Obsidian is one of my favorite developers and I love their RPGs. But I couldn't like this one despite its attempts at being a New Vegas successor.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I should probably finish it on Game Pass but I was really underwhelmed by it. Worth picking up if it's on sale.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Absolutely could not get past the combat in the game. And something about it also just seemed very small to me. Like the areas you landed on and explored were just very limited in scope. Not necessarily a bad thing as many open world games have a lot of barren areas but for some reason here it was very noticeable and made a negative impression on me. But again, the combat... was just so off. Try it on Game Pass first without question if you have the means.

Sep 10, 2020
It's a game that is amazing early into it. But the more I played it, the more the cracks began to show and I realized it doesn't really matter how I build my character. The game isn't uniquely rewarding whether you decide to sneak through it, shoot through it, or talk through it because the game is just flat out easy. No reason to put any amount of thought into which skills to level up because it doesn't matter. No reason to put any amount of thought into the perks because they're a very small number of perks that are the obvious ones to get while the rest are just hilariously useless.

It fails as an RPG in the aspect that how you build your character doesn't really matter due to how easy the game is. I realized this halfway through as I continued to be unengaged by the experience as I played and dropped it. If you can manage to finish one playthrough, cool. But there is very little reason to play the game again. Definitely a game to get on sale or through Game Pass.

Obsidian is one of my favorite developers and I love their RPGs. But I couldn't like this one despite its attempts at being a New Vegas successor.
I actually agree with pretty much everything here - I only buy games on sale so I didn't feel burned or anything. Yeah, it's too easy, but I just had so much fun romping around. I do appreciate and understand your opinion though, thanks.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Jeez I bought control, hades, and outer wilds recently since they're no longer Epic exclusives. Can't buy all of these.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a KotOR-like game in terms of size and design structure.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had a lot of fun with the game when it was on game pass on PC. I don't think I'll buy it though.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I love The Outer Worlds, but it's like Assassin's Creed in that the first one shows promise, but it's the second that I expect great things.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I feel at this point I should just wait for the complete edition once the second piece of DLC is out.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020

yea, GP absolutely saved me $60 here because I was ready to buy this sight unseen. The game must not have been very good because barely remember anything about it.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I found the world, characters and setting really compelling but the gameplay was incredibly lackluster. The character building was awful and everything was entirely too easy even on Super Nova. To this day I still dream about a Jsawyer mod type difficulty option. At least give the community modding tools so they can do it for you Obsidian!

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
It's the fastest I've fallen of a game, it had a really strong first hour but the big choice you have to make was really on the nose and the combat wasn't all that fantastic.

I don't know why but I just couldn't get into the combat side, I played a couple of hours but just couldn't get into it.