Oct 26, 2017
It looks really average to me. Visually dated and just poor in places (look at the zoomed-in pistol for example). There's also no hit feedback at all, the mobs just stand their soaking bullets like you're shooting them with a water gun. And for the love of God, can we please get some stealth kill animations? The way you just walk up behind an enemy and start slashing at them is just horrible to watch.

I have a even better idea: please don't implement stealth kill animations because they are basically 'press A to win' shit. They are the bane of stealth games.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
It's actually better than that. The game being an EGS exclusive on PC means that gamepass is the only way to play the game for a year without giving epic money. There are people who refuse to buy from EGS and a bunch of them will use gamepass rather than wait.So you get people to buy into game pass, and many will probably buy more than one month in order to play the game and other. Those same people will probably buy the game when it becomes available on steam...or use the gamepass discount.

They get people to buy into gamepass (which we know tends to amplify game sales in general), and look like the good guys for giving people an alternative to epic.Then they get people to buy the game again.

That's basically the reason I signed up for Game Pass. I refuse to give Epic any money but I do want to play their timed exclusives at launch. Game Pass won't have all of them but it will have many of the ones I care about. I see it as a rental service.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Uh... there is no camera work. It's just uses a first person view for the dialogue. The entire game is in first person.
Ummm yeah, the camera work or lack there of, making the dialogue scenes rigid and robotic. Its not a deal breaker my original post was me being confused how this games outdated design was being passed on as an acceptable standard in 2019 in the video I mentioned.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks really average to me. Visually dated and just poor in places (look at the zoomed-in pistol for example). There's also no hit feedback at all, the mobs just stand their soaking bullets like you're shooting them with a water gun. And for the love of God, can we please get some stealth kill animations? The way you just walk up behind an enemy and start slashing at them is just horrible to watch.

I can honestly say that I strongly prefer this to a cinematic cutscene kill animation. I prefer very grounded, nuts and bolts gameplay, and this seems to be what I want.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really good. so glad to see all the positive previews. I can only imagine what their next-gen full-blown AAA title will look like especially now they are Xbox 1P and getting all the support they need.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually better than that. The game being an EGS exclusive on PC means that gamepass is the only way to play the game for a year without giving epic money. There are people who refuse to buy from EGS and a bunch of them will use gamepass rather than wait.So you get people to buy into game pass, and many will probably buy more than one month in order to play the game and other. Those same people will probably buy the game when it becomes available on steam...or use the gamepass discount.

They get people to buy into gamepass (which we know tends to amplify game sales in general), and look like the good guys for giving people an alternative to epic.Then they get people to buy the game again.

This is true.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
This is a AA game.

It's made on a relatively small budget compared to AAA RPGs.

The visuals are the least important aspect of an RPG anyway, but still, this is a good looking game to me. I love the look, I love the use of colours - I'm just really into the aesthetic.

This appeals to me:
theouterworlds_hands_on_roseway_02.jpg

I have a even better idea: please don't implement stealth kill animations because they are basically 'press A to win' shit. They are the bane of stealth games.

This.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a piece of factual information so much as an impression of/opinion about the game, though? You can't get that 'wrong'.
Saying that recreated gameplay from a decade ago makes it "belong in 2019" at least in my view doesn't sound like a convincing argument. I mean anything can "belong" in the current year so why would anyone go out of their way to say that unless they're trying to defend something that is janky and antiquated in nature?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The camera that takes you out of gameplay is annoying as fuck, I really hope there's an option to turn that off, otherwise it looks solid.

Nice to see some AA goodness again, but any sequel will likely have hte big bucks behind from MS.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having to pay $60 for The Outer Worlds.

Can't wait for it to hit Game pass day 1. It looks fantastic.

Yeah who would pay full price from a well loved developer doing a game in the vein of some of their most popular and successful IP's ever but without all the baggage that now goes with the series. Crazy talk

Ummm yeah, the camera work or lack there of, making the dialogue scenes rigid and robotic. Its not a deal breaker my original post was me being confused how this games outdated design was being passed on as an acceptable standard in 2019 in the video I mentioned.

Considering the metric fuckton of dialogue, the choices, the reactionairy changes, the alternate dialogue paths and so on combined with the fact this is a AA game it all seems pretty reasonable.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't create topic for previews if you don't intend on ever updating the OP
I saw one tweet about "exclusive gameplay footage" on the PlayStation Blog and made a thread.
This was never supposed to be a general preview thread, because I didn't even know that more previews were coming the same day.

Buy hey, next time you wanna tell me something, quote or DM me.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Definitely looks like budget Fallout. I am glad that someone besides Bethesda is attempting this kind of game. Hopefully it is good and successful enough that they can do more with a sequel.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Has Obsidian said before this is a semi-open world game, ala KOTOR? Two previews I have read so far compare it to New Vegas and saying it is open world. I swear this isn't right...

Nov 23, 2018
XGS that essentially aren't developing the "big 3" seem to have full autonomy on which platforms they put their games on, at least according to Matt Booty, but I guess you can read into his words how you want. Not guaranteed, but not out of the question either.
This isn't correct. Minecraft is the only exception. All games announced for other platforms pre-acquisition will release on announced platforms. Moving forward, all XGS games will release for Xbox ecosystem and Steam.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Has Obsidian said before this is a semi-open world game, ala KOTOR? Two previews I have read so far compare it to New Vegas and saying it is open world. I swear this isn't right...
According to Obsidian's communications director Mikey Dowling, players shouldn't expect The Outer Worlds to contain an open world as massive as Fallout New Vegas. Instead, they ought to anticipate the studio's approach to the game's size, scale, and scope to be similar to that of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 "with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area". As explained by Dowling, there will be two planets in TOW, and they're not technically open worlds, but rather large environments with several areas to explore, and others cordoned off.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'll take a KOTOR sized experience over huge, sprawling RPGs any day,

I prefer my RPG experiences to be replayable over major time commitments.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah who would pay full price from a well loved developer doing a game in the vein of some of their most popular and successful IP's ever but without all the baggage that now goes with the series. Crazy talk
I was actually going to pick it up on Xbox if it didn't end up gamepass, but I am going to purchase the Switch version after it comes out.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I saw one tweet about "exclusive gameplay footage" on the PlayStation Blog and made a thread.
This was never supposed to be a general preview thread, because I didn't even know that more previews were coming the same day.

Buy hey, next time you wanna tell me something, quote or DM me.

Ah, that's why the thread title is 'new previews' instead of 'preview'

Can I PM you the OP change, so there are more previews in the OP? Or do we need a separate preview thread?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

The example you quoted is basically press A twice to win,I don't see how this is better,for me at least a stealth kill animation is cool and felt rewarding,stabbing as this example doesn't encourage a stealth approach,since you can just face the guy and stab him until he dies.Different opinions.But,this is something I don't put much value when playing.
Wait...So it's not open world?

Most people I see are expecting an open world game.

Cue the outrage then....😂
WTF? I was expecting an open world,but this don't bother me,I will wait the reviews.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
People need to understand that this is coming from a studio who never actually made a big AAA game before. Well, maybe a decade ago if KOTOR II counts.

But my point is, graphical prowess is not something that you should expect from an Obsidian game. It's never their virtue.

Definitely looks like budget Fallout. I am glad that someone besides Bethesda is attempting this kind of game. Hopefully it is good and successful enough that they can do more with a sequel.
Tbh, it's really not. Except the dialogue system, it's nothing like Fallout.

Outer Worlds seems structured as a shooter game, something akin to Borderlands. I've seen lots of gameplay videos tackling various quests, but they're all structured the same. You'd be directed at a quest destination, and along the way from the main hub you'll encounter groups of enemies in their post. And guess what, there boxes and crates where you can use to hide from bullets, and barrels in multiple spots that'll explode if you shoot them. At the end of your journey, you'll find a dungeon which is filled with enemies. Everything outside of the main hub of a planet is your enemy. I probably missed some footage showing otherwise, but that's what I've been seeing so far.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
People need to understand that this is coming from a studio who never actually made a big AAA game before. Well, maybe a decade ago if KOTOR II counts.

But my point is, graphical prowess is not something that you should expect from an Obsidian game. It's never their virtue.

To be fair, Obsidian focus on AAA gameplay/plot/narration and player interactions.

I expect AAA across the board with MS funding their games.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a silly personal gripe that you have with the camera work that you're passing off as some objective problem.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas

People who don't have Gamepass.

It was a joke/meme that went way over your head.

Some of you never leave resetera and it shows lol.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
This is a silly personal gripe that you have with the camera work that you're passing off as some objective problem
What even is an objective problem? Not everyone is gonna have the same concerns. Maybe read what other critics are saying as well.
In games like Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and The Outer Worlds, extended conversations and dialogue trees mean you spend a lot of time staring other characters in the face as they stand in place and talk to you. It's something we've accepted in games for a long time, and mechanically it works fine - but it's starting to feel a bit outdated in 2019.

Staring straight-on at these digital characters also invites players to watch them very closely - and that's where the seams in their designs start to show. Those these models and animations are better than what has come before, they are still notably artificial in a way that can feel a little unnerving. It also feels like this will be another one of these sorts of games with some uneven voice acting, if the conversations on display in the E3 demo were a fair indication of what is to come.