• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
This looks awesome. Definitely interested.

Do we know if Obsidian owns the IP (so they can make sequels if it's successful) or Private Division?

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
giphy.gif

I'm sold. Obsidian holds the right of torchbearer for big budget RPGs. So glad to see them back at a project of this scale.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This might appeal to me more than Fallout does if only because the setting is more interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics of a post-apocalyptic world like we see in the recent Fallout games.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus, these guys are all insufferable. Zero rapport with one another and the main narrator dude just seems clueless to the others jokes/sarcasm and sounds like he just was not prepared with any quality questions for the devs.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NPCs even kind of look/animate like how I would think a current gen New Vegas would. In a weird way that's kind of charming to me even though objectively speaking it's a bit janky and worse than most AAA games lol.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Technical issues aside this looks to be the successor to Fallout that we were all looking for. Can't wait. I'm assuming there's no chance of a multiplatform sequel though after the MS buyout, which would be a shame to miss out on

There could be a sequel just under a new IP name ;) Just like this is a sequel to Fallout but without the Fallout name

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Never played Fallout New vegas, but this looks like a good Not!Fallout to give competition to Bethesda and actually get them off their asses. Just having UE4 as the engine shows how far they could push their visuals in just 2 years while Bethesda just looks dumb

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is officially one of my most anticipated games right now. Fallout NV + Mass Effect + Bioshock = Something I need in my veins this minute.

EDIT: Kinda Off Topic, but I was looking at Obsidian's wiki page and...They were working with Disney at one point creating a video game prequel to Snow White?!?!

What the what? I wanna see that!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/obsidian-worked-on-snow-white-prequel/1100-6401656/

Last edited:

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's Fallout 3/NV without the buggy Creation engine and in a good setting. Count me in.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
This looks rather old-fashioned, mostly in a good way. Walking around sticking your gun in your crew members faces looks pretty dumb though.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The tech looks dated, but the art direction kind of makes up for it. To think this might be the last janky game they may ever make, it's stangely sad in a way.

Overall, count me interested.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Why? I find voiced protag in this typed RPG annoying, it's a waste of time really. I just want to hear NPC's reply, not repeat what I just read and selected.

Besides not having the protag voiced means you can imagine all sorts of unique voices, accent and tone for your character, instead of that generic white dude voice in Fallout 4. Trying playing Fallout 4 as a black dude and you will know exactly what I mean, that white protag voice is just extremely out of place.

I think that's a valid argument, but when it comes to cinematic RPGs I believe voiced protagonist fit the, much better. The KoTOR games (one of them made by Obisidiam themselves) for example, would benefit from that. It's no wonder Bioware added it to Mass Effect. And so did Obisidian in Alpha Protocol. Although I wouldn't take a voiced protagonist if it meant restricted character creation.

I dare say the choice in this game has more to do with budget than a creative decision. This game does look it didn't have that much money in it. Which obviously doesn't mean it will compromise its quality.

Oct 25, 2017
It was not until his conversation with Porter near the end of the video where my brain finally registered that the protagonist never holsters his gun. It looks a little off to see that stiff arm constantly outstretched with a pistol pointing at someone even if it's a friendly NPC. A minor quibble, mind you. The faces remind me of New Vegas and last-gen Mass Effect games too, but I can easily forgive them as they're probably not working on a near-unlimited budget like Rockstar. I'm loving the character designs though, Ellie in particular.

I'm very excited. This came out of nowhere for me and I'm rarely ever this pleasantly surprised by an announcement.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the game I've been waiting for Obsidian to make since I finished New Vegas, can't wait.

Going to be shitty when it gets locked to the Private Division launcher 2 weeks before release!

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
was the gamespot write up posted?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/t...ut-that/1100-6463757/#comments-block-33447900

Im fascinated by this. Only thing that disappointed me is that your ship will act like a base and not something you can control and get into ship battles with :/
I'd rather a game do a certain range of things very well than do a large range of things very poorly. Making an open world space game even in a two planet system requires a significant investment, especially on a AA budget.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are owned by Microsoft yet its multiplat?

I don't know if I have ever seen that before.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft is not going to break committed contracts that were made before the acquisition. Compulsion Games (We Happy Few), Ninja Theory (Hellblade), InXile (Wasteland 3), and Obsidian (Outer Worlds) are all examples of this. InXile will also be releasing Wastelands 3 next year for PS4, Xbox, and PC. Once those obligations are finished Microsoft will take care of future publishing.

Im actually surprised this question seems to pop up so much on a website such as this. It isnt that hard to figure out and its been repeated countless times.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm surprised at how polished it looks for an Obsidian game, but then again, in development for over 2 years? Has to be a record for them given how they always have to rush stuff out for big publishers. Lol. The combat actually looks way more Alpha Protocol inspired rather than Fallout New Vegas, which makes it exciting for me. Always hoped that they would build on that and get closer to what Bioware almost perfected in Mass Effect 2.

You know Microsoft owns Minecraft too right? :)

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
so if The Outer Worlds is successful, and becomes a franchise how will that work? Will Private Division license Bethesda to make the sequel? I can't imagine MS would be interested in continuing the franchise.

:Edit: Changed the publisher, the rumors said 2k so I assumed the publisher was 2k.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
so if The Outer Worlds is successful, and becomes a franchise how will that work? Will Private Division license Bethesda to make the sequel? I can't imagine MS would be interested in continuing the franchise.

:Edit: Changed the publisher, the rumors said 2k so I assumed the publisher was 2k.

This has been commented on so much, and people should really read. Obsidian owns the title. Private Division can not make Outer Worlds without Obsidian. Private Division has first right to refusal for publishing future titles, which wont happen as Microsoft will be publishing future Obsidian games. This will either be a one off, or Microsoft will make a deal to publish future games in this franchise. If Private Divisions wanted to continue this as a franchise under a different developer, they would have to pay Obsidian/Microsoft.

For right now we should be focusing on this title, as we dont even know if it will have a sequel. Its not even out yet.