• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, that was a great episode. Can't wait for part two. It was a lot more serious and darker than most of the episodes so far. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, but without losing the comedy.

Only thing slightly off putting, and it might just be me, but the scale of the Orville looked wrong when they were flying down to land, and landed. The Orville should have looked a lot bigger imo.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they didn't save the last episode for the season finale, seems like the perfect BoBW type season finale.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

T8AG99T.png

Orville is the one on the right.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The ending seems too escalate by the show's standard. The whole thing is totally some sort of Kaylon's test for Isaac to see if he'll side with Kaylon or the Orville.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
gawd damn it now i'm having second thoughts that this might actually be a simulation. Seeing Issac hesitating on several occasions literally cement that

:(

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the episode.

Good swerve didn't see that coming. But I wonder if this is going to be a long arc or self contained 2 parter

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Binge watched up to S2 E3 "Home" in the past week. What started as a rocky start and a little too jokey of an attempt has really turned around to completely grow on me. I'm loving the characters, liking the light heartedness of the stories, and all around just really liking the show.

Knowing nothing about how it's doing viewers wise, I really hope this show has staying power and stays around a while.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The title of this episode is "Identity." That's curious because it doesn't seem related to anything that happened in this episode.

It makes me wonder if we'll get a curve ball next week.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Theory time on Pt 2 of Identity:

The skeletons are indeed the bodies of the "creators" of the Kaylon, but they're actually also the original bodies of said Kaylons. They transferred their consciousness'es to the robot forms we see as Issac today in order to 'live forever', but through generations of technological improvements and optimizations, all emotion has been removed and they've essentially forgotten who they actually are.

I imagine through whatever happens in pt 2, Issac will somehow 'malfunction' or access the lost part of his personality, and will break off from the Kaylons and decide to return to the Orville, but with his memories and emotions fully intact, allowing him and the Doctor to have a real meaningful relationship.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

The skeletons are indeed the bodies of the "creators" of the Kaylon, but they're actually also the original bodies of said Kaylons. They transferred their consciousness'es to the robot forms we see as Issac today in order to 'live forever', but through generations of technological improvements and optimizations, all emotion has been removed and they've essentially forgotten who they actually are.

I imagine through whatever happens in pt 2, Issac will somehow 'malfunction' or access the lost part of his personality, and will break off from the Kaylons and decide to return to the Orville, but with his memories and emotions fully intact, allowing him and the Doctor to have a real meaningful relationship.

I was actually thinking this would happen myself. It would actually explain a couple things about the Kaylons.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first saw the remains along with the "turning on their creators" angle, it's got a good possibility.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the 4th episode of the second season and I really like how they dealt with a pretty common trope. As soon as they were leaving the Orville I was worried it was just going to be another story of it being a set up. While it did go down that road I like how they treated it and it was actually set up prior to this. It was a nice touch on a pretty basic plot.

Two weird small things that has bothered me while binging the show: I hate that they changed the captain's chairs on the bridge. They changed them to some cheap leather look and I think they just look so bad now.

Second, I thought it was weird that Alara's uniform had 2 bars for her position even though she was the head of security. Lamar got Chief Engineer and had 2 and a half bars and Bortus has 3 bars. Just thought it was weird that the head of security seemingly has the same standing as the pilot.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel this copies the Borg a bit too much, also the Cybermen. All they needed do at the end was chant "Delete, Delete, Deleeeete".

Oct 28, 2017
They
Just watched the 4th episode of the second season and I really like how they dealt with a pretty common trope. As soon as they were leaving the Orville I was worried it was just going to be another story of it being a set up. While it did go down that road I like how they treated it and it was actually set up prior to this. It was a nice touch on a pretty basic plot.

Two weird small things that has bothered me while binging the show: I hate that they changed the captain's chairs on the bridge. They changed them to some cheap leather look and I think they just look so bad now.

Second, I thought it was weird that Alara's uniform had 2 bars for her position even though she was the head of security. Lamar got Chief Engineer and had 2 and a half bars and Bortus has 3 bars. Just thought it was weird that the head of security seemingly has the same standing as the pilot.

They pretty much crib TNG rankings. Georgi was a Lt. Cmdr when he made it off helmsmen to chief engineer, and Worf was a Lt. while security chief.

TNG did have two rankings of Lt, it's possible the Union does too. That's really one of my only gripes is the lack of world-building with the Union itself.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
New episode tonight.

"Identity, Part 2"
The Kaylons take control of the Orville with the intention of destroying all biological lifeforms.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they take some big risks with this episode. I'll be disappointed if it's as simple as "Isaac has a change of heart" or "it was all a simulation!"

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Isaac literally being unable to function correctly without the Dr around is going to play into this. That was the entire reason they stayed together earlier in the season.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The show makes a hard swerve in Battlestar Galactica territory and its a rag tag group of space ships and their crews running from evil machine people who destroyed their planet.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I've consistently liked The Orville but this is the first episode where I've been thinking about the show all week. Like I'm literally counting down the minutes to part 2. Good shit.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They banged pretty hard a few episodes ago that the Mochlins are awful people but they keep the alliance because, like the Klingons, they're the muscle of the universe. I wonder if we'll finally see some Mochlins kick ass this episode.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like TNG, a season and a half of building up the characters makes even situations you know they'll survive tense as hell, because you actually care about them

so great to have real star trek back