• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Xbox alone for Dead or Alive 3. The game looked so gorgeous, better than any other game. After that I also got into Halo and Fable and I would say all in all I have very fond memories of the console, though the Gamecube was my favorite of that gen.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Loved the shit out of the OG Xbox, my 2nd favourite console after the humble SNES, it also opened the floodgates for online gaming on consoles and introduced alot of non-pc gamers to the world of online multiplayer.

Still have a long way to go but I have been creating a list of original Xbox exclusives. Appreciate any suggestions from people as many games still to add!

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding (Indie Built)
Amped 2 (Indie Built)
Blinx: The Time Sweeper (Artoon)
Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space (Artoon)
Breakdown (Namco)
Brute Force (Digital Anvil)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The Collective)
Conker: Live & Reloaded (Rare)
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (FASA Studio)
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Dino Crisis 3 (Capcom)
Gunvalkyrie (Smilebit)
Fable
Forza Motorsport
Full Spectrum Warrior
Fuzion Frenzy (Blitz Games)
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Jade Empire (BioWare)
Jet Set Radio Future (Smilebit)
Kakuto Chojin: Back Alley Brutal (DreamFactory)
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (Phantagram)
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes (Blueside)
MechAssault (Day 1 Studios)
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (Day 1 Studios)
Metal Wolf Chaos (FromSoftware)
Midtown Madness 3 (Angel Studios)
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit (FromSoftware)
NBA Inside Drive
NFL Fever 2002
NFL Fever 2003
NFL Fever 2004
Ninja Gaiden (Team Ninja)
Ninja Gaiden Black (Team Ninja)
Otogi: Myth of Demons (FromSoftware)
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (FromSoftware)
Outlaw Volleyball Red Hot! (Hypnotix)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Smilebit)
Phantom Crash (Genki)
Phantom Dust (Yukio Futatsugi)
Project Gotham Racing (Bizarre Creations)
Project Gotham Racing 2 (Bizarre Creations)
Quantum Redshift (Curly Monsters)
RalliSport Challenge (Digital Illusions CE)
RalliSport Challenge 2 (Digital Illusions CE)
Shenmue II (exclusive in north america)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nine
Sega GT 2002
Sneakers (Media.Vision)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Steel Battalion (Capcom)
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact (Capcom)
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse (Wideload Games)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (Starbreeze Studios)
Thousand Land (FromSoftware)
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
Transworld Snowboarding
UFC: Tapout
UFC: Tapout 2
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Voodoo Vince (Beep Industries)
Whacked! (Presto Studios)
WWE Raw 2: Ruthless Aggression
WWE WrestleMania 21

Bruce Lee: Quest Of The Dragon
Crazy Taxi 3
Grabbed By The Ghoulies
Sudeki

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Was heavily into PC gaming at the time so it didn't impress me much at first. Eventually landed back in console land through a Gamecube impulse buy, which I then lended later to a friend in exchange for an Xbox. Turns out Halo while not exactly mindblowing (though the vehicles were cool) was decent enough to finish the campaign.

Eventually decided to get my own and had a lot of fun with the pack-in Midtown Madness 3 (sequel, please!). It mostly became my multi-platform machine in particular due to the 5.1 audio, but the real highlight for me was OutRun 2 which is just sublime to this day.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Got a US import console with a bunch of games (including Halo and PGR) for Christmas 2001.

I remember putting my hand up in Assembly at Secondary School after a teacher asked what everyone got for Christmas, answering Xbox, she said 'did anyone else get an Xbox?' And it was deathly silent, rather embarrassing.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Duke is still one of the greatest controllers ever. I'm a tall guy with huge hands and it was so comfortable.
On the other side of the spectrum are the Joycons. They're so small and uncomfortable that I get cramps within 15 mins.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I remember seeing it at my local mom and pop game store. They had it set up on a official stand. A big CRT, the black console beneath in an bulbous enclosure, with two mighty Duke controllers protruding on flexible rods from the base, like two massive dongs. Halo: Combat Evolved was on display at first. It looked and played amazing. I was surprised how easily I got accustomed to the new FPS controls (thanks for the intro TimeSplitters.)

I also asked to play the Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions demo and was blown away by the amount of effects and particles on the screen.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The experience of holding that controller and playing Halo was something else. It was weird. It was big and bulky and black and green and it didn't feel much like a normal console to me. It was the quirky console for the weird tech dudes when I was 11.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Ah the memories.

Sega GT 2002
Jet Set Radio Future
Dead or Alive 3
Fable
Gunvalkyrie.

I still have a lot of my original Xbox discs from launch. I know most of them will run fine on my 360, but in regards to BC for my Xbox One X, I'm not sure how far my mileage will vary.

Considering the many Sega IPs on it, like Shenmue II, Phantasy Star Online, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, and Outrun 2, etc, it felt like a natural successor to the Dreamcast.

I never cared for the Duke Controller though, It was small blessing when the S Controller came out. Which I feel the S Controller design lead to the current Xbox controller design we have today after many iterations. The elimination of the Black and White buttons for traditional shoulder buttons was an improvement at least.

I had an original v1.0 Xbox which died due to power supply issues due to an electrical strike. I still have my v1.6 replacement unit which was modded with an Xecuter chip for XBMC and emulator stuff.

I should probably see if it still works due to the clock capacitor issue.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft had a huge tent set up in the parking lot of a dirt bike race (I think it was) that my friend and I want to as teens before the system launched. There were a ton of Xboxes and a few different games to play. I wasn't impressed by any of them, unfortunately.

Then I tried playing THPS2x (was that the name?) and the slanted diamond layout of the face buttons made the game unplayable for me.

As it turns out, I didn't end up getting an Xbox till the controller S released.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I was so excited for this, hounding my parents non-stop about this brand new console. I can't remember how I heard about it, all I know is I was sold before the thing even came out.

Halo(s), KOTOR(s), JSR:F, Fable, WWF Raw(s), Jade Empire, Fuzion Frenzy, Conker, PGR(s) and many more I'm forgetting, also been able to rip CD's melted my mind. Was such an amazing console.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Gave me Knights of the Old Republic before it got PC ports, and for that reason alone I have super fond memories of it.

It my was my first experience with DLC on a console too, the Yavin 4 add-on. Although the Dreamcast had downloadable updates through the web browser thing.

There was also the Dead or Alive 3 Booster Disc with the extra costumes. I still have physical copy of the booster disc from OXM too.

Funny how Xbox's killer app was Halo and I never really was a big into FPS titles. Of course that didn't prevent me from getting into the series many years later on when MCC came out.

Still I miss Jet Set Radio Future and the other Xbox exclusives that never got re-released on a modern platform.

It was also my introduction to the Elder Scrolls series with Morrowind back in 2003. Seeing a game that massive for the first time ever and looking better than anything else I've seen at the time. It was mind blowing.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I have only seen one in a shop, in Europe they were mostly like mystical beings.

Always wanted to play Otogi...

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Can I have nostalgia for a console I've never owned?

Playing the first Xbox at demo kiosks was a wild time. I only got to play it at my neighbour's place (I think it was one of the Crash Bandicoot sequels).
The duke controller was... special.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have only seen one in a shop, in Europe they were mostly like mystical beings.

Always wanted to play Otogi...

Otogi was an interesting game. I wouldn't say it was From Software's take on DMC even though people tried to make comparisons. My most notable memory was the time limit mechanic which was tied to your soul / life gauge. You had to pick up soul energy constantly as it continuously drained throughout the levels.

One notable aspect was controls were a lot more looser compared to other action titles. Your jumps had a floaty quality to them kind of something out of a Chinese Wuxia, except with more Japanese mythos. It was was From's first take on more lore pushing the story and less open narrative. Lots of lore bits in loading screens and level dialog. Also destructible environments. A lot of walls and buildings could be destroyed.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
The first console to have ever had an hard disk integrated. The first with a centralized online infrastructure. Powerful as a beast.
Playing Halo at the european launch, even coming after owning a Dreamcast, was an incredible generational leap.

Loved being able to finally play those PC games who didn't run on my modest Pentium 166. Morrowind was a revelation. Kotor, too.
So many developers entered the console realm thru the Xbox: Bethesda, Bioware, Id Software, Arkane, etc...

They shoulda branded "Sega" in Japan, tho.

Otogi was an interesting game. I wouldn't say it was From Software's take on DMC even though people tried to make comparisons. My most notable memory was the time limit mechanic which was tied to your soul / life gauge. You had to pick up soul energy constantly as it continuously drained throughout the levels.

One notable aspect was controls were a lot more looser compared to other action titles. Your jumps had a floaty quality to them kind of something out of a Chinese Wuxia, except with more Japanese mythos. It was was From's first take on more lore pushing the story and less open narrative. Lots of lore bits in loading screens and level dialog. Also destructible environments. A lot of walls and buildings could be destroyed.

I loved that Otogi basically saves onto the hard disk THE ENTIRE MODIFIED LEVEL. Its save size at the end game clocks at hundred of megabytes.

Last edited:

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
It makes PS2 graphics looks like shit

iirc the gc and ps2 versions were ports of the xbox version.
ubi soft said at that time, that they are mainly developing the games for xb and then they will be ported to ps2/gc.
hence the very bad versions of them on other consoles.

dont forget the pandora tomorrow and chaos theory online-mp which was a novelty back then: it was asynchron multiplayer with people doing different things to win as a team.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Bought with Halo, JSRF and a third game I don't remember.

A few weeks later MS lowered the price significantly and MS was kind enough to offer a bundle of choice with 2 games and a Duke to those who had bought the console before the price cut.

They sent me a different bundle from the one I chose, and when I contacted them they just said "oh sorry, we'll send the right one then!" and told me not to bother sending back the wrong one. So I ended up with 4 free games and 2 spare dukes..

Poison Door

Dec 20, 2018
Got one around easter 2003 with Shenmue 2. Bought 3 second handed games for dirt cheap soon after, the JSRF/Sega GT combo disc and Halo that summer and played the shit out of it over Xbox Connect (sadly not around anymore but then again Xlink Kai is superior in every way). Later that year it was all Midtown Madness 3, what a wonderful glitchy mess that multiplayer mode was.

Modded it in late 2004 and boy did it take my life in a completely different direction now when I look back at it. Found out I loved tinkering with servers and networks, it was where I first experienced Linux, it even ran my website for a while. I loved my Xbox, ironically I haven't bought a Microsoft branded product ever since.

In 2012 the DVD-bay gave up, by that time it was barley able to function as a HTPC anymore and was mainly hooked up for quick OutRun 2 sessions.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Had a ps2 got Xbox for halo didn't really enjoy it and never used the system maybe had like 3 or 4 games on it
Asked parents for PS3 for the next gen and got a 360 because it was cheaper and came with a game
360 ended up being one of my favorite console of all time and I went back and really enjoyed halo and still do till this day
Weird how things work

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Still have a long way to go but I have been creating a list of original Xbox exclusives. Appreciate any suggestions from people as many games still to add!

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding (Indie Built)
Amped 2 (Indie Built)
Blinx: The Time Sweeper (Artoon)
Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space (Artoon)
Breakdown (Namco)
Brute Force (Digital Anvil)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The Collective)
Conker: Live & Reloaded (Rare)
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (FASA Studio)
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Dino Crisis 3 (Capcom)
Gunvalkyrie (Smilebit)
Fable
Forza Motorsport
Full Spectrum Warrior
Fuzion Frenzy (Blitz Games)
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Jade Empire (BioWare)
Jet Set Radio Future (Smilebit)
Kakuto Chojin: Back Alley Brutal (DreamFactory)
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (Phantagram)
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes (Blueside)
MechAssault (Day 1 Studios)
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (Day 1 Studios)
Metal Wolf Chaos (FromSoftware)
Midtown Madness 3 (Angel Studios)
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit (FromSoftware)
NBA Inside Drive
NFL Fever 2002
NFL Fever 2003
NFL Fever 2004
Ninja Gaiden (Team Ninja)
Ninja Gaiden Black (Team Ninja)
Otogi: Myth of Demons (FromSoftware)
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (FromSoftware)
Outlaw Volleyball Red Hot! (Hypnotix)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Smilebit)
Phantom Crash (Genki)
Phantom Dust (Yukio Futatsugi)
Project Gotham Racing (Bizarre Creations)
Project Gotham Racing 2 (Bizarre Creations)
Quantum Redshift (Curly Monsters)
RalliSport Challenge (Digital Illusions CE)
RalliSport Challenge 2 (Digital Illusions CE)
Shenmue II (exclusive in north america)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nine
Sega GT 2002
Sneakers (Media.Vision)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Steel Battalion (Capcom)
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact (Capcom)
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse (Wideload Games)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (Starbreeze Studios)
Thousand Land (FromSoftware)
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
Transworld Snowboarding
UFC: Tapout
UFC: Tapout 2
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Voodoo Vince (Beep Industries)
Whacked! (Presto Studios)
WWE Raw 2: Ruthless Aggression
WWE WrestleMania 21
The original OutRun 2 is exclusive. Do you include also regional or console exclusive ?

Because Halo 1 and 2 came out on PC.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My then girlfriends little brother had an Xbox and we played some Halo.. but damn I hated the controller with passion so I didnt give the system a fair shake.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Crazy memories and some of the best ones too.

Bought mine in 2002 as well with 5 games - Sega Rally and Jet Set came with it and I bought Splinter Cell, Project Gotham Racing, Capcom vs SnK.

Hooked it to my biggest TV back then, the 32 inch CRT in the living room and showed it to my Dad. He was really impressed by Splinter Cell and loved the whole stealth gameplay. Man I miss him.

I will always remeber...

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I was 6 when it was announced and really the biggest memory I have of it is when I went to a Toys R Us with my dad to pre order Halo 2 and the dude there asked my dad if he knew the game was rated M. Then we played Halo 2 on launch day all night it was a blast. Also Jet Set Radio Future.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Me and my 3 college buddies went down to Daytona to hang out as one of them lived there with their parents between semesters freshman year. Went to Best buy and I bought it on a whim since we all loved gaming. My roommate already had a PS2 so I was like "why not". Picked it up with Halo and we set it up around 9pm. We didn't stop until like 4am. Halo was soooo fucking great for that time period. Best console FPS ever up til then.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
I bought it on 2005 like a month before they announced the 360. Anyways I told my dad to get me NFS underground 2 and MGS2, they were out of copies so he bring me Midnight Club 3 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (and also Doom3). My mind was blown by the Doom3 and Chaos Theory graphics and I ended up liking Midnight Club 3 a lot more than NFS.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't afford one at the time, and I already had a PS2, so I was good. Then a radio station did a contest where you needed to be caller 92 in order to win an xbox with a madden football game. I figured why not, and decided to call. I won! When the system came, the first game I ran out to buy was Halo, because it was universally praised by my friends. I was not ready for how amazing it would be. My jaw was on the floor. Then I went on to pick up games like Psychonauts and Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition. MC3 blew my mind when I found out I call rip music from cd's and integrate the tracks into the game. We're not talking spotify playing over the entire game like now, we're talking proper integration where volume and playback was dependent on what was happening on screen. This one feature alone made the Xbox my favorite console of that gen.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Moto GP were amazing! I believed it was truly the spiritual successor to Dreamcast.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
always been a jrpg guy but Halo CE blew me away and Jet Set Radio was so fucking cool. Halo 2 was one of the best games I had played back then.

Probably my least favorite controller ever made, hated it as a kid and hated it even more when I grew up. That's why I never bought the console but always played it at a friend's house

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Still the best console MS has released for me. What a time for gaming with the diversity of games and strong exclusives plus the birth of Xbox Live.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
For me I remember taking a gaming magazine with me to Corfu on holiday with my ex girlfriend. I remember being awed by the screenshots of Halo, and a description of the Xbox etc. I decided then I'd get an Xbox and move over - even though none of my friends were. So... got home and started saving...bought one in September 2002. Loved it.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember I hated the xbox at first and what turn me around was playing a Demo Unit of NHL Blitz and scoring a goal with my goalie from half-way across the rink. After that I played Halo and a slew of other titles and it easily became one of my favorite consoles at the time. Being able to have the "best" version of Third Party titles was pretty nice since the difference between PS2 and Xbox power wise was always pretty noticeable.
... no memories of Dino Crisis 3?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
OG Xbox was awesome. Morrowind, Ninja Gaiden Black, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Halo, Fable, etc. Without a doubt, Morrowind is my favorite memory for the console.

I'm hoping all these new XGS studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground, and Double Fine can get Xbox back to that golden era. I think they're well on the path to doing so.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I graduated high school in 2004 and managed to win an Xbox at our post-graduation lock in.

Halo was of course my first purchase, followed shortly after by Ninja Gaiden and Morrowind. I had started working at Dairy Queen my senior year so I finally had a little pocket change to buy games with.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
Bruce Lee: Quest Of The Dragon
Crazy Taxi 3
Grabbed By The Ghoulies
Sudeki
The original OutRun 2 is exclusive. Do you include also regional or console exclusive ?

Because Halo 1 and 2 came out on PC.
Excellent thank you :) Including regional and console exclusives on the list. Even though Shenmue II was on Dreamcast in Europe and Japan, the only way to play it in North America was on the Xbox.

Will hopefully be able to add all the games below to the list. Some of these are glaring omissions I forgot and others will need to research to confirm they are console exclusives...

AMF Bowling 2004
Azurik: Rise of Perathia
Blood Wake
Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon
Burnout 2: Point of Impact Developer's Cut
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Deathrow
Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
Galleon
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Greg Hastings Tournament Paintball
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer
Kung Fu Chaos
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit
Nightcaster
OutRun 2
Spikeout: Battle Street
Sudeki
Superman: The Man of Steel
Tecmo Classic Arcade
The House of the Dead III
Toxic Grind
Xyanide
Yager

Oct 27, 2017
I took a break from gaming in middle school and early HS from 2000-2004 so I got my Xbox in 2004 as a gift from parents because they wanted to get rid of my basketball hoop, probably to increase curb appeal of the house they'd sell a year later.

it is the console I played KOTOR on that made me the gamer I am today. Mario 64/Goldeneye were great in my pre-teen days but KOTOR made me an addict for deep gaming experiences, and cemented it as my favorite entertainment hobby over music and movies.

I wish I hadn't sold my OG Xbox. I do wonder what type of gamer I'd be today if I had got a Cube or Ps2, I love both Sony and Nintendo games now but I was huge into Star Wars at the time so KOTOR was life changing.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
19 years later and I'm still a fan of the brand. Still a multi-console owner but I have a really big appreciation and feeling of gratitude for what Microsoft has brought to console gaming. They haven't been perfect, they've made plenty of mistakes just like the other big brands. They've also learned from those mistakes and came out a little bit better on the other side each time they make one.

Ditto :)

I've been in the military for coming on 17 years and the OG XBOX was one of the first things I bought with my paycheck in tech school, lol

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
First system that I preordered and bought after getting my first job in the industry. Remember testing Madden 2002, Cel Damage and Simpsons Road Rage and thinking that everything just looked legitimately better on the console when compared to their PS2 versions. I was already a huge fan of the Dreamcast and this just felt like a continuation of that system, especially when the Sega created titles started creeping on the system. Ended up using it as an emulation box for years after the system's lifespan ended, but I only really retired it maybe four years ago. It had an incredibly good run.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I never played an original Xbox. None of my friends who played games had one and i don't think i even played or saw any demo kiosks. It seems to have been a very uncommon item to own in my area. But i did play Halo 1 and 2 when i got a 360. Good games.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I can still remember getting excited for the BIG Xbox Live 2.0 Update. I forget what it was called though. Tsunami or Hurricane update or something?

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I remember I was weirdly apprehensive because it was the American super corporate invader, but as time went on I got hyped and wanted to jump onboard. I asked for it for Christmas, but I got a GameCube instead because I think it was a bit cheaper. I wasn't mad tho lol. I ended up getting the Xbox with the Holiday JSRF/Sega GT combo disc. Amazing memories.

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Rallysport Challenge, Dead or Alive 3, Kotor. Probably one of my favorite consoles ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i was going to get a Nintendo GameCube but my mom worked for Microsoft at the time and offered to get me cheap games from the company store if i bought an Xbox - picked up the Sega GT 2002/JSRF bundle that day and immediately fell in love. (eventually did get that GCN too!) at some point in... 2004? - i think maybe the week before Halo 2 came out - mine stopped reading discs consistently or opening the tray unless i tapped the tray with my knuckle a couple of times, so had to buy another console juuuuussst before Xbox 360 was announced. all in all a great console with a great library!

speaking of which, i think there's still a copy of Halo 2 with a massive Microsoft Company Store sticker in my collection somewhere hahahah

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
I got the Xbox rather late during the gen, only to realise that my television set did not support RGB outputs, I had a converter for the PS2 and it would work fine but not with the Xbox, so I played all the games in black and white...the first game I remember being awe struck by was Escape from Butcher bay and then played the hell out of Half Life 2

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Playing halo first time on xbox was one of the best experience I've ever had. Still can't be replicated.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Fond memories. Was 27k in credit debt, fresh on my first job. Was living with my ex-wife and her Mom because I didn't have a pot to piss in. Once I started a real budget and paying my debt off, I bought one after I cut my debt in half. I just remember after buying that things would turn around and they did.

Oct 25, 2017
So, this is my favorite console of all-time. My parents totally surprised me with one for Christmas in 2003. This was THE console in our college dorms and later in our apartments. There are two games that I played over LAN with friends that gave me tons of timeless memories - Halo: CE and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

For me, this was a quasi-continuation of the Dreamcast, which was my favorite console ever at the time, so I spent a ton of time with JSRF. I remember being so excited for Panzer Dragoon Orta and getting it on release. I also could list a ton of local co-op and competitive games that were incredibly fun: NFL 2K5, Deathrow, Gladius, Kung Fu Chaos, Halo: CE and Halo 2, FIFA and NFL Street, SEGA Soccer Slam, Links, Top Spin, Blitz: The League, and so forth. When I was at home for summers a couple of times before I got my own apartment, I would spend time with my siblings playing Fuzion Frenzy, a game that I will defend to the death.

I fucking love this console's game line-up, and I didn't even get into the great single-player experiences that I had with it (KotOR 1 and 2, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Spider-Man 2, GunValkyrie, Def Jam: FFNY's amazing single-player mode, Jade Empire, XIII, Crimson Skies, GTA: San Andreas, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, etc.)

My console, which needs a disc drive/optical laser replacement really badly, has a bunch of music that I put on the hard drive that basically are memories of my life for about five years.

Like I said, this is easily my favorite console ever, and probably, it's never going to be surpassed.