• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be included with Nintendo Switch Online: Nintendo 64 when it launches in September 2021.

Seriously though, I want Doom 64 bad. It was one of my most-played third party N64 games back in the day (not that there was a heck of a lot of competition).

Definitely grabbing Doom and Doom 2 though. I might give Doom 3 another try too, though I remember dropping it pretty fast when I got it for PC.

Doom 64 is the only official Doom game I never played. I never owned an N64, only some friends of mine did but none of them had it. At this point I don't think I'd bother looking for (legal or otherwise) ways to play that game, but I'd throw down even 15-20 Euros for a proper high resolution port of it. I know some dudes on PC have enhanced ports and whatnot, but still. The game looks so good, a weird mixture of Doom and Quake that looks strange, but also better than both in some ways (and I adore both). I wonder if there's licensing issues with that game because they keep "forgetting" to port it when they're releasing this kind of stuff.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
QuakeCon Keynote is later today (an hour from now). It'll probably be released then.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I have secretly been hoping for this ever since they announced Doom 2016 for Switch. I loved the Original Doom games even though it was way past my time.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM 3 has awful pacing and it's just not as fun as the originals. I'm hesitant to pick it up myself.

I keep picking it up, even bought the X360 port. I usually play for 30-60 minutes, then I think to myself "this is why I didn't bother when it launched" and abandon it. They might be able to trick me into buying it for the third time though, I really want to like it but I don't, lmao.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So I'll ask the question:

Is Doom 3 better than Doom 2016? Because I don't really care for the Doom franchise but I thought Doom 2016 was FANTASTIC.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
DOOM 3 has awful pacing and it's just not as fun as the originals. I'm hesitant to pick it up myself.
Doom 3 is infinitely more fun if you've finished Doom 2016 and understand the lore behind the Doom Slayer. I couldn't stand it back in the day, but replayed it after beating Doom 2016 early this year and found it so much better and understandable.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll ask the question:

Is Doom 3 better than Doom 2016? Because I don't really care for the Doom franchise but I thought Doom 2016 was FANTASTIC.

It's subjective, but ask most people and the result you'll get is: NOPE. Doom 3 is a slow, horror-esque take, something slightly closer to the opening episode of the first Doom, albeit with far less action. You even have to use a flashlight because everything's dark, and instead of fighting a billion enemies at a time there's plenty of horror noises, with enemies jumping out from who knows where. It's a horror game, not a Doom game. It was liked by many people actually, but as a Doom game it's... not good, because it's got nothing to do with Doom basically. Doom 2016 is a modern take on what Doom was in 1993, Doom 3 is basically "what if Doom was actually Dead Space" or something.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just this moment realised I've never played the original Doom. Will rectify that as soon as these release. Hoping for Gyro but we'll see.:)

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is what Pete Hines was alluding to last month on the Nintendo Power Podcast when he said there may be surprises for Switch owners during QuakeCon.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Doom 3. I always took a more relax time exploring, reading / listening to the in game stories/events. Had more of a horror game aspect to it.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is what Pete Hines was alluding to last month on the Nintendo Power Podcast when he said there may be surprises for Switch owners during QuakeCon.

In hindsight it seems obvious. Doom ports are some of the easiest things to pull nowadays, and given their cult status they'll still generate a lot of money with minimal effort.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any legal/license issues preventing Doom 64 from happening on Switch or could they just port it if they wanted to?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
All I remember about DOOM 3 are the awful outdoor sections and endless monster closets.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What about Final DOOM? Seems like an odd exclusion. Still excited for the rest. Drop this shit in the eShop already!!

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Doom 64 is the only official Doom game I never played. I never owned an N64, only some friends of mine did but none of them had it. At this point I don't think I'd bother looking for (legal or otherwise) ways to play that game, but I'd throw down even 15-20 Euros for a proper high resolution port of it. I know some dudes on PC have enhanced ports and whatnot, but still. The game looks so good, a weird mixture of Doom and Quake that looks strange, but also better than both in some ways (and I adore both). I wonder if there's licensing issues with that game because they keep "forgetting" to port it when they're releasing this kind of stuff.

You're definitely right about the "look" of the game. It's arguably the scariest Doom, because of its visual and sound design (and probably inadvertently because of the weird limitations of the N64 hardware). It just evokes this unbroken sense of wrongness that fits Doom perfectly. Some levels also feel slower and more exploration/puzzle-centric than other games in the series, which I think adds to the atmosphere, but might frustrate someone looiking for more action. I really, really hopes it makes it to Switch (or Steam) someday.

OK, so it's not just my memory deceiving me. Maybe I'll pass or wait for a sale.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Doom 3 has an awesome structure, it doesnt have bad pacing. I wish more games would be built like it today. Theres a constant crescendo right until the end of the game. You get different enviroments along the game, fresh enemies, fresh weapons, the difficulty builds up.

The pacing is actually one of the highlights of the game. It never lets up or crumbles

But people should play it on PC with some mods, not like this.