• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 was good, but I think after Season 2... I'm ready for the show to be over.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I'm enjoying OA 2 much more than Twin Peaks s3. That was a massive disappointment to me. OA 2 is very interesting and unless it massively shits the bed in the last episode and a half, I'm there for season 3.
Although with Netflix's current climate, I don't have high hopes for it getting renewed. They cancel a lot these days.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful and beguiling, I will be crushed if this doesn't get another season. The ending to this was pure brilliance and the world will be an even bleaker place without more of The OA aka Brit Marling's The Dark Tower.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
What in the
4th wall jumping
fuck? That was a hell of an ending. Much more satisfying and fulfilling season than the first. Interested in where they take this.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I also just finished the season. Pure craziness, but in a good way. Definitely a much more coherent and entertaining season than the first. I'm also curious to see where it goes. There are so many ways this can play out.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I came away feeling this season is substantially better than the first season and also far more likely to lose a large portion of the shows audience. It goes full crazy, in, at least for me, a real fun way.

I was indifferent about getting a season 2 and now I'm suddenly very invested in hoping for a season 3.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Overall, I like Part 2, but I can't help feel completely lost at the end. Lots of new threads are started alongside evolving the existing threads from Part 1, but the final square we end up at feels like a lot of it was hurried. Half the time, I was completely lost on what anyone except Karim was doing or why. It felt like an entire season of rebounding and only at the end did we feel back where we started in a forward trajectory.

Still, in for more episodes if they can make them. This story isn't finished.

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but it was a bunch of nonsense garbage really.

Also probably too much weirdness compared to season 1..
like plants literally growing out of people's ears. That's actually a thing happening in the real world, not a spirit world. Homer's original NDE sending him to the future and in an alternate dimension, but not in his alternate self, just somehow he materializes or took the body of someone who wasn't another Homer? An enormous octopus getting out of his tank and strangling a woman. Again, this isn't a mystical plane, it's the real world. Just a little too out there.

Although season 2 might have been more enjoyable (just finished it today, still digesting), I look back on season 1 and appreciate how it seems more down to earth, a story that reflects on each of the characters in the group. Seems more thought out. I wonder how much of season 2 they actually had in mind back then, compared to how much they may have just left loose so that if they did do a season 2, they could try to tie it back in hindsight.

That ending though. Glad they seemed to take it seriously and not just go 'haha that's right, goodbye folks, that's the end!' Could have just been an F-you kind of goofy gimmick but it's still kind of left open in a serious way in case they do a season 3.

I wouldn't say they need a season 3 to explain anything. I mean, again, if you reflect on all the details, it's really just all nonsense that's weird enough to pick up at any point and spin further.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I think it might get another season after all! The oa is actually in the popular on Netflix section. I've NEVERRRRR once seen one day at a time or sense8 in that section.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first season a lot until the end. I couldn't stand it, and it actually tarnished the entire rest of the season for me. I was going to ignore this, but you guys are saying it's better?

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I liked the first season a lot until the end. I couldn't stand it, and it actually tarnished the entire rest of the season for me. I was going to ignore this, but you guys are saying it's better?
God yes. Season 2 is fucking fantastic. It dials up the weird and crazy in a super fun and entertaining way, but the show is actually more coherent this season. Makes way more sense. And the production values are great. Watch it, watch it, watch it!

The movements are still very much a part of the show though, so idk if that will bug you lol.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thankfully, very little time in season 2 is dedicated to some of the garbage from the end of season 1.
Namely the whole "what if she was faking and this was a huuuuge waste of time" thread they shoved in at the end.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna ask, the ending of Season 1

a school shooting being stopped by interpretive dance

was quite possibly the stupidest 5 minutes of scripted television I have ever seen.

Does season 2 top it?

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished it and I dont want to judge it just yet until I've had a chance to digest it fully but I feel a lot like Charlie Brown and the football.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

was quite possibly the stupidest 5 minutes of scripted television I have ever seen.

Does season 2 top it?

It gets pretty dumb in new ways, but if you sort of enjoyed season 1, you'll probably sort of enjoy season 2 also.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am just going to point out that

"A dimension where everyone calls you OA but you yourself dont" is literally a place where Brit Marling exists as an actress who has fans calling her OA but she knows its just a character

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
This season is so much better than the first season so far. I really wasn't planning on continuing this show at all.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I enjoyed the second season much more than the first, but that 4th wall ending was just...no, just no.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I took that as Hap chancing a lie to stay with the OA.
Jason Isaacs is arguably more famous than Brit, and I don't know if either of them is married.
Isaacs is married since many years to actress and producer Emma Hewitt : ]

Also, in this new dimension closer to ours if we go with the names (I mean the names could be the same and in season 3 we discover that the US president is Bernie Sanders...), they're on the set of a (the) serie, so they're all "real" people in the real world: Hap's lie wouldn't last long... It doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I am just going to point out that

"A dimension where everyone calls you OA but you yourself dont" is literally a place where Brit Marling exists as an actress who has fans calling her OA but she knows its just a character
lol thank you for this. now I don't need to watch an 8-10 minute YT video explaining it.

Oct 28, 2017
The ending was somehow worse than S1. At least S1 had the benefit of being so ridiculous it hadn't been done before. This 4th wall or whatever it's called is something I expected from the later seasons of Family Matters.

Anywho here are some of my thoughts.

BBA and gang need to go. Away. Their B plot was a bunch of who the fuck cares? But at least it looks like one of them will be involved in the A plot next season so there may be hope. Unfortunately it was the most annoying character that got sent.

Old Night and the whole metaphysical mumbo jumbo is also wearing thin simply because everyone speaks in metaphor. Creative writing class went off the rails here. Give us something real to grab onto before dangling some new bit of fuckery in front of us.

I do like the character of OA. Theres a lot of potential with her as far as her true nature and role among the travelers. I wish we got to see more of her personality when her life wasnt in danger or she wasnt trying to figure some metaphysical stuff. Also, they did an awful job showing the duality of Nina/Prairie. Nina was never really given a voice so I guess she really was cool with letting Prairie wear her meat suit around town.

Homer is too cute and you cant help but feel awful for the guy despite his obvious flaws. His story might have been the most mundane but I was emotionally invested in his character. Hopefully he isnt put in another glass box next season.

Hap is the villain OA needed. He teeters on the line between unrelatable sociopath and compelling...uh, sociopath. He killed Rachel but he doesnt feel remorse because shes alive in countless other realities so one life to him is inconsequential.

I feel like I looked away or skipped a part but what happened to the traveler that showed Hap the robot movement makers? She called the police and did the movements and collapsed but shows up later to talk to OA at the club. Was that person the original host?

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Y
I wouldn't say they need a season 3 to explain anything. I mean, again, if you reflect on all the details, it's really just all nonsense that's weird enough to pick up at any point and spin further.
They spent 2 years writing it before even submitting the idea to producers. As it is, the end of this season also works as final ending in case Netflix stop the show, but clearly the story is not even at its half (5 seasons according to Isaacs : "They've got all five seasons mapped out in their head").

Also, it's SF/Fantastic stuff, it's nonsense making dramatic sense, and it's not hard SF so no need for 100% rationality but I agree, we need more seasons.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Isaacs is married since many years to actress and producer Emma Hewitt : ]

All I'm saying is that it's conceivable that the EMT wouldn't know/care that Isaacs is married and to whom.
Hap is desperate to control the OA. Especially now. With the shock of the travel and quickly attempting to get acclimated to the new dimension and the dramatic way they both entered it, it's quite possible he just blurted out the first thing that came to his head in order to make sure he wasn't separated from her.

But I don't necessarily disagree with you. It could just be a dimension closer in reality to ours, but not our dimension specifically.
They can easily go either way with this if there's a season 3. Just like they could easily have gone with the OA being a fake or not after the close of season 1.

Good shit, though. And way better than the first season.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Wooow I forgot about this show. Can't wait to watch.

I liked season 1 and being unsure if shit was real or not.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
All I'm saying is that it's conceivable that the EMT wouldn't know/care that Isaacs is married and to whom.
Hap is desperate to control the OA. Especially now. With the shock of the travel and quickly attempting to get acclimated to the new dimension and the dramatic way they both entered it, it's quite possible he just blurted out the first thing that came to his head in order to make sure he wasn't separated from her.

But I don't necessarily disagree with you. It could just be a dimension closer in reality to ours, but not our dimension specifically.
They can easily go either way with this if there's a season 3. Just like they could easily have gone with the OA being a fake or not after the close of season 1.

Good shit, though. And way better than the first season.
Yes, the endings for each season can also work that way, it's pretty brilliant.
Also, I'm not sure but in the end of this season, the last sequence, it seems to me they're no more in the US...

Got me enthralled with episode 1. Starting 2 now. I am back in it all the way!

Wooow I forgot about this show. Can't wait to watch.

I liked season 1 and being unsure if shit was real or not.
Good ride.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed season 2. A very personal nitpick would be that the score/soundtrack wasn't as memorable this time around. It felt like season 1 had more standout hooks/themes (eg. when the show's title was revealed for the first time, her playing the violin, the school scene, etc). Although it was a great "hell yeah" moment when the music swelled up with Homer in the red elevator.

I feel like I looked away or skipped a part but what happened to the traveler that showed Hap the robot movement makers? She called the police and did the movements and collapsed but shows up later to talk to OA at the club. Was that person the original host?

I also did a double-take when she showed up at the club again. Didn't something similar also happen with Homer when all of them originally traveled to the season 2 world with Hap? From what I recall, the patients were sitting in a circle as their consciousness took over the new bodies, Homer being one of them. But at the same time, Homer was already one of the doctors in that world. We then saw patient Homer slumped over in the chair, presumably dead. They never showed the repercussions of that. Hopefully it's something they'll expand on further down the line.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Does season 2 top it?

I don't think I've ever seen you like anything. You just post constant hate on stuff. The first season was really great. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it bad. Given your post history, there are quite a few films or shows you simply do not understand or cannot appreciate.

Rather than spread your ignorance constantly, hating on things you don't understand. Why not just ignore them? Or perhaps having some humility in not understanding things and wanting others to help explain why these shows you hate are actually good.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen you like anything. You just post constant hate on stuff. The first season was really great. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it bad. Given your post history, there are quite a few films or shows you simply do not understand or cannot appreciate.

Rather than spread your ignorance constantly, hating on things you don't understand. Why not just ignore them? Or perhaps having some humility in not understanding things and wanting others to help explain why these shows you hate are actually good.

giphy.gif

I like how my opinion concerns you so much you're butthurt about my dislike of something.

Meanwhile, I have absolutely no idea who you are, nor do I care.

Psst, little secret, if you highlight my name, the ignore button is right there. Go ahead and use it if I offend you so much ;-)

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't really get the hate for the end of Season 1, especially in the context of Season 2
Since we now know the movements actually work. Some people see it as interpretive dance. But I love and believe the idea that they are simply elements of a primordial language that existed long before spoken word and have some tangential relationship to the way that the universe works.

They are quite literally "magic."

People don't have a shit fit when they see Naruto casting Ninjutsu, Quinten Coldwater shifting his fingers, Harry Potter waving his wand around in a certain way, or Dr. Strange pulling runic circles out of his ass to name just a few examples.

Not to mention the huge role dance plays in mysticism and spiritualism just about everywhere in the real world.

The weak point in this case was perhaps leveraging the imagery of a school shooting, especially since the plot didn't lead us to it until it was basically happening. Though Season 2 does get a little mileage out of the resulting trauma.

But the movements? That's what people take issue with? Especially since they are introduced well before those last few minutes?

Loved Season 2 by the way. Even the ending to that one. Its clear it wasn't a full 4th wall break. I mean it *might be "our" dimension, but it isn't as if the characters don't cease to exist.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
There was a question earlier about the Traveler's disappearance after spending the night with Hap and later reappearance to help out the OA. I found it a bit odd too. I think her disappearance via Travel and the 911 call was meant to keep Hap distracted and away from Dr. Roberts, who was already struggling with his part in the core group's "shared delusion."

Pure conjecture on my part, but I think what happened with Homer was the opposite of what happened with Nina. The OA suppressed Nina and "put her in a box." I think Homer was too passive and empathic and was in turn suppressed by Dr. Roberts. The OA had to be taught how to properly assimilate the two personalities. I think Dr. Roberts/Homer managed to intuit how to do it, but needed time for Dr. Roberts to process Hap's lies, accept that the delusion was no delusion, and actually see the OA and Nina co-existing. Being effectively locked in another "glass cage" helped too. Perhaps Dr. Roberts not yet having had his NDE in this timeline played a role too. Don't know. They dwelled on that plot point quite a bit before ultimately doing nothing with it. Maybe he'll swallow that anemone early in season 3 in order to follow Hap and the OA to season 3's dimension.

Which begs the question, who or what is the Traveler? An extra scene post-911 call with Hap dealing with EMTs and police would have helped. As for the Traveler, she clearly considers boxing in the host body's personality as vicious. Presumably, she has the means to Travel without leaving dead bodies in her wake, which also affords her the opportunity to revisit dimensions as needed. She may leave host bodies in a temporarily comatose state after Traveling, deliberately or otherwise. Compliments the original season's focus on NDEs.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I still don't really get the hate for the end of Season 1, especially in the context of Season 2
Since we now know the movements actually work. Some people see it as interpretive dance. But I love and believe the idea that they are simply elements of a primordial language that existed long before spoken word and have some tangential relationship to the way that the universe works.

They are quite literally "magic."

People don't have a shit fit when they see Naruto casting Ninjutsu, Quinten Coldwater shifting his fingers, Harry Potter waving his wand around in a certain way, or Dr. Strange pulling runic circles out of his ass to name just a few examples.

Not to mention the huge role dance plays in mysticism and spiritualism just about everywhere in the real world.

The weak point in this case was perhaps leveraging the imagery of a school shooting, especially since the plot didn't lead us to it until it was basically happening. Though Season 2 does get a little mileage out of the resulting trauma.

But the movements? That's what people take issue with? Especially since they are introduced well before those last few minutes?

Loved Season 2 by the way. Even the ending to that one. Its clear it wasn't a full 4th wall break. I mean it *might be "our" dimension, but it isn't as if the characters don't cease to exist.
Well put. I did write something in the same line on another forum but in French. I wanted to adress the topic here but didnt in the end as English is not my primary language ^^

One of the fantasy serie (books) I liked younger is The Death Gate Cycle in which magic is broken in 3 systems: one traditional where you "draw" the runes/spells on objects or in the air, another one where the runes/spells are tatooed on your body and the last one with singing and dancing as magic system. Oh and the magic is kind of "quantic based" (there's a kind of SF/Fantasy layer to the saga).

And about The Traveler in season 2: maybe it''s a Schrödinger cat thing, wouldn't surprise me.

Also, I'm waiting for the story to expand on the "Saturn" thing Hap quickly mention in season 1. It's something that really pleased me (SF vibes) to be there as I spent a lot of time years ago listening to all the planets from the solar system lol

Last edited:

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Fucking amazing second part to this series. I loved the first to death but this blows it out of the water with its wonderful craziness. Can't wait to see where they go with part 3... and can't wait to watch this again, probably two more times at least to really.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
got the last episode coming up tonight. everything has been "what the fuck, this is wild, but okay, let's GO"

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. I loved the first season and this season fucking deliverered. Cannot wait for season 3, I sincerely hope it happens.

Overall spoilers:
all the lovecraftian vibes with old night, other dimensions/different planes of existence, etc. really floats my boat. Even the ending was an enjoyable mindfuck. The house alone was an enjoyable part of the season but I even liked the filler plot about BBA and the kids.

I'm definitely on board for more.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the second season. Such a wild ride my god. The 95% on rotten tomatoes clearly tells that this season really delivered and I agree. Expanded almost everything I could think of while deepening the questions for the next season. The finale was also fucking wild lol.

Episode
6 fucked me up man. Especially when BBA dreamt of Jesse. :(