Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They should for having to click for functions you use a lot in a game, and not to mention holding them down for that function. Me just spitballing, if they don't do paddles. How about spliting the r1 and l1 buttons and put them l3 and r3 buttons up there. The GPD Win 2 does this and Iove it

deb449ae-a192-446b-bb9b-4f33f115160f.jpg

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Could just be me but I'm too used to the current standard for L3/R3. So, I honestly don't want the industry to change their location. At this point, it's muscle memory, so changing it now would be more bothersome than anything else IMO lol

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Aren't the click-y sticks - and how much they're used in modern games - one of the main contributors to why these controllers are more prone to drift?
Edit: Also, I totally agree with you OP as I HATE the current L3/R3 placement.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021
While l3 and r3 are annoying i don't think splitting l1 and r1 into 2 is a good idea especially if i want to sprint in an fps. I think back buttons would be a bit better and doesn't ruin the ergonomics. Not sure on how good back buttons would be for accessibility but it'd be a bit better than clicking the stick in.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They should for having to click for functions you use a lot in a game, and not to mention holding them down for that function. Me just spitballing, if they don't do paddles. How about spliting the r1 and l1 buttons and put them l3 and r3 buttons up there. The GPD Win 2 does this and Iove it

deb449ae-a192-446b-bb9b-4f33f115160f.jpg
Reading the title I was gonna say but how, then I read the OP, lol.

Clicking in the stick does get frustrating at times.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I would support this. I HATE r3 and l3. Clicking sticks always feels awful.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
In this setup R3/L3 should be the outside and R1/L1 in the inside. Other than that, I agree that it's better than clickable sticks. But then, anything is better than clickable sticks.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
L3 and R3 would be better as back paddles than having three shoulder buttons on each side.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I use a 3rd party xbox controller with 2 back programable buttons for fps game on my pc and it has been a game changer. I swap them from run/jump to melee/run depending on mood and it has been a pleasant experience. I agree 100%

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some other button options for the stick clicks should have been standard this gen. It has always been terrible for usability.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there a controller that did that? Like the pro controller for the Wii or something?

edit:

it was the classic controller:

32157709-320-0-25345-20061219_140016.jpg

It didn't have triggers, but you could imagine a controller having both triggers and a second pair of bumpers.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I use a 3rd party xbox controller with 2 back programable buttons for fps game on my pc and it has been a game changer. I swap them from run/jump to melee/run depending on mood and it has been a pleasant experience. I agree 100%
The name? cause i been looking for one hard

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I think I am the only person who doesnt mind clicking L3 and R3, and actually prefer having them as another button, where I don't need to take my thumbs of the thumbstick. Coming from someone who always uses controllers with back paddles as well.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
As someone with small fingers having two rows of buttons seems like a total nightmare. Looks very uncomfortable and I'd end up pressing both L/R 1 & 3 at the same time if I had to use them.

Clicking the sticks is totally fine imo but if you were going to add extra buttons for some reason I'd rather the Xbox controller brought back the black and white buttons rather than anything else.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
I like L3 and R3 where they are. I can see why it might be awkward for some people though, so having back paddles or back buttons as an alternative would be nice for those folks.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
L3/R3 are fine for toggle actions and low usage. The focus should not be on replacing them, because they still have value as another set of inputs that can be accessed without taking your things off the sticks A better way forward is to standardize on back paddles for actions where it matters and keep the stick clicks and face buttons for low usage/non-skill based inputs.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, they should relocate the face buttons to the back of the controller to allow you to press them without having to move your thumb from the analog sticks.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for giving people options. But I like sprint on L3 and would absolutely hate it on L1. To me its always been natural to have the sprint button on the same location as the thing you're moving with

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I want those analog scroll wheel buttons Nintendo patented years ago on the Joy-Con 2. They could replace the L/R buttons since Nintendo seems dead set on keeping digital ZL/ZR triggers. It'd be a good compromise for racing games, GC emulation and they'd be amazing for item/inventory management in realtime.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Keep them, but provide additional inputs (back buttons and paddles). If joysticks can't be made more durable, then give us more options pls

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: L3 and R3 are perfect where they are, and controllers should add L4 and R4 which are activated by pulling the sticks up instead of pushing them in.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely need to get moved to back pedals, and switch out the sticks to ones that don't drift.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Yes. It needs more back buttons if anything. Clicking has never really felt natural, even for things like running.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Kind of want back buttons to be a default so we not wear down our sticks having to press in R3/L3. It also causes accidental actions sometimes as well.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I don't mind adding buttons, but I don't want them removing clicky sticks. They're too convenient.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
They should for having to click for functions you use a lot in a game, and not to mention holding them down for that function.
I see this complaint often, but I don't think I've ever encountered a game where clicky sticks are to be held down? That would be horribly un-ergonomic, I imagine. Examples please?

As-is, I don't mind clicking for sprint / target lock etc, and I map other buttons (face / dpad even) to paddles if available.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
I hate L3/R3 position. If I can remap I always do.
Back buttons are the way to go, imho.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
wasn't there a controller that did that? Like the pro controller for the Wii or something?

edit:

it was the classic controller:

32157709-320-0-25345-20061219_140016.jpg

It didn't have triggers, but you could imagine a controller having both triggers and a second pair of bumpers.
I would actually support this change.

I really hate clicking the left stick on my PS controllers because that is the most used stick and don't want it to drift at some point.

I hate having to click the stick to run, specially in games like fortnite where you might be doing it constantly. The wear these games put on top of the regular use likely leads to many broken controllers or increases the chances it fails sooner.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand how people struggle so much with these buttons, but it's such a consistent complaint that yeah, it's probably something to be changed.
They contribute significantly to the decay of the analog stick, but worse than that, they also cause pain in the thumb joint for many people after prolonged use. The games in which you are supposed to run by pushing these in (and in which you generally want to run 80% of the time) are a good example. When they are used sparsely it's not much of a problem.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Is shoulder placement even comfortable?

The back is often used for face buttons so that you can keep your thumbs on the sticks

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I think I am the only person who doesnt mind clicking L3 and R3, and actually prefer having them as another button, where I don't need to take my thumbs of the thumbstick. Coming from someone who always uses controllers with back paddles as well.
no im with you
and honestly, i think everyone in this thread is out of their fucking minds lol

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this would cause massive problems for Backwards compatibility.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
They contribute significantly to the decay of the analog stick, but worse than that, they also cause pain in the thumb joint for many people after prolonged use. The games in which you are supposed to run by pushing these in (and in which you generally want to run 80% of the time) are a good example. When they are used sparsely it's not much of a problem.
many modern games, let you just click once to run, not hold. Actually I cant even think of any game I have played where you needed to push them in constantly while still using the thumbstick to navigate around. Also I have seen a few recent games let you pick what you want your default movement to be, regular running, tactical run, etc. Which I think is a at least a small step in the right direction.