• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Either or. Basically curious if there's a difference
Like modoversus mentioned, they were recouped inventory that was repackaged for sale. Some of the clamshells might differ (I think there were 2 made, with minor differences on the front lower "windows"). The carts themselves will probably be a mix of European and North American SKUs, for the same games, with variances in the sticker art and / or the presence of ERSB ratings badges. (Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Missions are easy examples of the regional sticker differences). The cart sticker will also have unique SKUS that tell you which region it was made for as well, in the upper left. The carts also might have the "patent pending" stamp on the back but that largely depends on when the game was developed and manufactured/printed.

I think that's pretty much it though? Each blister pack probably has some pretty wild variance even if 1 pack had the same titles as another.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New, larger IPS screen.

Great video, thanks for sharing. I thought there was a guy named Ben Heck working on a full-size drop in kit but I guess this other manufacturer beat him to the punch!

5h battery life on full brightness seems great. I think I'll wait for a matching alignment bracket before ordering. Can't wait to grab a few of these when that happens though.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! I can't find a source that will post to the UK yet, but I might jump on that IPS screen when it is available over here.

I've got an Analogue Pocket on the way, but it'll be a poor substitute for the real thing.

Now I just need to source a donor unit!

Oct 25, 2017
That stick felt amazing in fighters. So easy to pull off Zangief's piledrivers in MOTM. I think that's the only game where he could combo INTO a regular piledriver.

Also: "I'm Not Boy!"

Fair Witness

Jun 25, 2018
Austin, TX, USA
I did this mod the other day on my well-worn NGPC, I chose to keep my original shell as I like all the scratches it has gathered over time. The new screen is a game changer tho, so much clearer in every way, and the pixel grid is awesome. I made a comparison pic (not the greatest photos, but whatever):

50912416016_6b3c409163_o.png

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did this mod the other day on my well-worn NGPC, I chose to keep my original shell as I like all the scratches it has gathered over time. The new screen is a game changer tho, so much clearer in every way, and the pixel grid is awesome. I made a comparison pic (not the greatest photos, but whatever):

That's a wonderful mod, the screen looks great

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017

Oh wow that looks great! How long did the install take? I'm in two minds if I should do it myself or pay someone to get it done. I can do a little soldering as long as it's not too tricky.

Also good taste on the silver...mine is similarly beat up (the battery cover is a mess) but I love it.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Did you solder the extra wires or does holding one of the attached touch sensors activate pixel mode?

Fair Witness

Jun 25, 2018
Austin, TX, USA
Oh wow that looks great! How long did the install take?

Took me about 1.5 hours. I've never even opened a NGPC before so I went slow especially when it came to using the double sided tape and positioning the screen. I was also very careful to plan my every move to avoid getting dust/fingerprints on the screen while installing. All in all, wasn't bad. Even soldering the wires is really simple, as the pads are out in the open and plenty large enough. And you don't even need to do any soldering if you don't want to, it's only for the onscreen display.

Also, the left touch sensor (color sensor) can be held for a few seconds to toggle the pixel grid on/off. And the right touch sensor (brightness sensor) can be held down for a few seconds to turn the battery display on/off. However, the on screen display has a really useful feature to adjust horizontal/vertical position of the picture. And so I'm glad I soldered the wires for the on screen display, as I found moving my screen a few pixels vertically was just what I needed to get it perfectly centered in the screen cover.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I've just ordered a kit from AliExpress so we'll see how it goes! This feels like a turning point for NGPC mods after years of enviously looking on as the GB/GBA got all the attention.

EDIT: So, I also ended up buying a replacement shell and buttons after all. There's less choice with the shells than GBA modding but quite a few button colours (easier to manufacture I guess).

They're on the way now so I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I also ordered a replacement shell, since my first NGPC shell is broken (I wasn't aware it had a tri-wing screw, I tought I had damged it and broke the shell during an attempted repair). Should be here next weekend. Probably next month I will order the screen upgrade.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I was thinking about buying a the colour version of this earlier this week. I need to do some research first, as I'm keen to buy a modded one with a backlight. Any tips for someone that has very little knowledge about it?

I just want to added it to my handheld collection. I have Gameboys, DS systems, PSP/Go, Vita and Switches.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I also ordered a replacement shell, since my first NGPC shell is broken (I wasn't aware it had a tri-wing screw, I tought I had damged it and broke the shell during an attempted repair). Should be here next weekend. Probably next month I will order the screen upgrade.
This the one I bought.

Not arrived yet, but it comes with a couple of screwdrivers so I'm hoping that's everything you need to open it up?
Oh man, I was thinking about buying a the colour version of this earlier this week. I need to do some research first, as I'm keen to buy a modded one with a backlight. Any tips for someone that has very little knowledge about it?

I just want to added it to my handheld collection. I have Gameboys, DS systems, PSP/Go, Vita and Switches.
The mods are fairly new so there won't be many premodded ones around at the moment. I did see a service on eBay in the UK who were offering to do the mod for you if you send your NGPC to them for about £90. I decided to do it myself since I wanted to get a replacement shell, plus I might enjoy the experience.

But it's a great handheld. More than any other, you NEED to play it on the original hardware. Emulators and the Switch versions just won't do it justice. I'd say it will be worth getting a modded version because the non-backlit screen is a real weak point.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This the one I bought.

Not arrived yet, but it comes with a couple of screwdrivers so I'm hoping that's everything you need to open it up?

The mods are fairly new so there won't be many premodded ones around at the moment. I did see a service on eBay in the UK who were offering to do the mod for you if you send your NGPC to them for about £90. I decided to do it myself since I wanted to get a replacement shell, plus I might enjoy the experience.

But it's a great handheld. More than any other, you NEED to play it on the original hardware. Emulators and the Switch versions just won't do it justice. I'd say it will be worth getting a modded version because the non-backlit screen is a real weak point.
Thanks for this. I'm based in the UK so I'll have a look on eBay. I don't have one at the moment so I'd ideally like to get a pre-modded one.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been looking at a few auctions for the Pocket Colour on eBay. This seems to have two battery compartments, one for AA batteries and another coin cell cover of some sort. What's that for?

I'm looking for one in very good condition which I can get modded. If I have to buy one with screen/system scratches, I'm assuming I can get the whole case and glass replaced when I get it modded, right?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been looking at a few auctions for the Pocket Colour on eBay. This seems to have two battery compartments, one for AA batteries and another coin cell cover of some sort. What's that for?

I'm looking for one in very good condition which I can get modded. If I have to buy one with screen/system scratches, I'm assuming I can get the whole case and glass replaced when I get it modded, right?
It's a CR2032 battery compartment for internal memory.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017

The screen mod comes with replacement glass so it doesn't matter if the screen is scratched, you should be replacing the entire thing.

If you're getting the mod done for you, you may need to ask about using a replacement case, though. I think there might be a bit little extra work involved compared to using an original shell. You can also buy replacement buttons/sticks if you want to customise it a bit further: https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/neo-geo-pocket-color

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The screen mod comes with replacement glass so it doesn't matter if the screen is scratched, you should be replacing the entire thing.

If you're getting the mod done for you, you may need to ask about using a replacement case, though. I think there might be a bit little extra work involved compared to using an original shell. You can also buy replacement buttons/sticks if you want to customise it a bit further: https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/neo-geo-pocket-color
Thanks for this - I like some of these buttons. It's a shame they don't seem to have any replacement cases. Yes, I plan to get ther mod done for me, so I'll ask the person I find to do this job for me if they can source one.

Have you had much experience with the replacement buttons and clicky stick? Are they as good as the originals?

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this - I like some of these buttons. It's a shame they don't seem to have any replacement cases. Yes, I plan to get ther mod done for me, so I'll ask the person I find to do this job for me if they can source one.

Have you had much experience with the replacement buttons and clicky stick? Are they as good as the originals?
I bought a replacement case from Zedlabz: https://www.zedlabz.com/pages/search-results-page?q=Neo+Geo+housing

I think it's identical to the ones you see in the US/China. Quality seems good on the case (though it is a fingerprint magnet) and sticks, but I'm still waiting on my screen so not actually used them properly yet.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are folks buying the new screen kit from? I found an eBay seller in the states but it'll cost me approx ~$100 CAD, all in. Not sure if I want to pay that much yet.

Normally I use RetroModding.com (bonus for me is they operate in Canada!) but they don't have the screens in stock yet.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Where are folks buying the new screen kit from? I found an eBay seller in the states but it'll cost me approx ~$100 CAD, all in. Not sure if I want to pay that much yet.

Normally I use RetroModding.com (bonus for me is they operate in Canada!) but they don't have the screens in stock yet.
You want the one developed by Hispeedido. There may be local resellers but the source will be China: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002181010707.html

I'm not looking forward to customs doing nasty things to my package and charging me for the privilege...but it's the only way right now :(

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I should have searched. I just bought of one these last week. Screen has some not so bad scratches but if the full screen mod comes out soon I'd be doing that to it.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Installed my old broken NGPC into it's new clear shell today. Was very easy, took only a few minutes, didn't even had to de-solder the wires to the speaker. Will post pics later.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Installed my old broken NGPC into it's new clear shell today. Was very easy, took only a few minutes, didn't even had to de-solder the wires to the speaker. Will post pics later.
I look forward to seeing it. Which colour buttons and stick do you have?

I ordered a NGPC on eBay earlier. Been trawling for a good few weeks for one in good condition. It's a JPN model but comes boxed and the pics look pretty good. Just one small mark on the screen, which you need to hold to the light to see. I plan to get the case changed over to a clear one though and get a backlight mod done. The guy that's hopefully gonna this for me said that with a new case there'd be a new top screen.

Now I just need to pick up some games. They're pretty expensive on eBay though :-/

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The case included clear buttons and a clear joystick top, but I decided the keep the originals for the same feel. It's a glass screen cover, and I think it is slightly larger in terms of much you can see of the screen, so maybe it was made thinking of the 5% increase in the IPS screen mod, but won't be able to confirm until I get the screen.

This is the one I ordered. The plastic feels smoother to the touch than the original case, but it's also very solid.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

From what I recall, the cell battery is only used for the built in super light OS/Calendar functions. If the battery is dead or missing, as I recall you have to set the system settings each time you boot it up (language, time, region) every time you boot it up but I don't think that battery was used at all for any sort of game save data.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The case included clear buttons and a clear joystick top, but I decided the keep the originals for the same feel. It's a glass screen cover, and I think it is slightly larger in terms of much you can see of the screen, so maybe it was made thinking of the 5% increase in the IPS screen mod, but won't be able to confirm until I get the screen.

This is the one I ordered. The plastic feels smoother to the touch than the original case, but it's also very solid.

This looks really neat. I think I'm gonna go with the clear case and stick with the original black buttons. Have you done the backlight mod already? If so, which one did you install?
From what I recall, the cell battery is only used for the built in super light OS/Calendar functions. If the battery is dead or missing, as I recall you have to set the system settings each time you boot it up (language, time, region) every time you boot it up but I don't think that battery was used at all for any sort of game save data.
Thanks for explaining.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
This looks really neat. I think I'm gonna go with the clear case and stick with the original black buttons. Have you done the backlight mod already? If so, which one did you install?

Not yet. The IPS screen should arrive in april. It's going to be a long wait, but maybe by then I'll have a flash cart.

The stock NGPC screen looks really nice in the right angle with the right light, which is what can be seen on the first picture.

I love collecting the carts, but the NGPC games I'm missing are getting very expensive now.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I keep going back and forth as to whether I should buy into the NGPC. Some of the games look to be a blast, and I had fun playing one years ago. The cost of buying a unit, plus a replacement shell, and a backlit screen are putting me off. Not to mention the cost games, or a flashcart.

But that click stick...there is no substitute.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet. The IPS screen should arrive in april. It's going to be a long wait, but maybe by then I'll have a flash cart.

The stock NGPC screen looks really nice in the right angle with the right light, which is what can be seen on the first picture.

I love collecting the carts, but the NGPC games I'm missing are getting very expensive now.
Wow, that screen does look neat in the picture - I thought there was some sort of light being used.
I keep going back and forth as to whether I should buy into the NGPC. Some of the games look to be a blast, and I had fun playing one years ago. The cost of buying a unit, plus a replacement shell, and a backlit screen are putting me off. Not to mention the cost games, or a flashcart.

But that click stick...there is no substitute.
I've started down the rabbit hole, I'm afraid. My NGPC should be arriving on Tuesday. I have no games yet though.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
If I didn't broke the shell of one of my consoles, I would not have bought a replacement one, and instead would have gone stright for the screen replacement. I prefered to fix my first NGPC than paying for another unit.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid, and where you bought it? Should I be trawling eBay?
Not at all. I paid £120 for mine plus the special delivery postage cost. It was a buy in now auction. I've been following auctions that are standard bidding and seen some go for less than mine, say £102, but I was really picky and looking for one in good condition. The seller was pretty helpful with answering all of my questions, too. Mine is a JPN model and comes boxed.

In hindsight though, since I'm planning to get a case replacement and a backlight mod, I think the condition shouldn't have been something to be too concerned about.

Good luck if you decide to have a look for one!

Fair Witness

Jun 25, 2018
Austin, TX, USA
As far as I am aware, yes. It is the same one posted in the video review earlier although maybe Fair Witness can confirm?

Sorry just saw this, I ordered from eBay from the seller named "hispeedicando", but I think it's exactly the same product listed on your Aliexpress link, it's the Hispeedido screen as shown in that YouTube video. In fact I used the instructions found on the Aliexpress page when I installed mine since the photos were clearer.