Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Just got to the 16 bit part and have loved every second of this game. How bad is the backtracking? Is it really that bad or exaggerated?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Just got to the 16 bit part and have loved every second of this game. How bad is the backtracking? Is it really that bad or exaggerated?

well, there is a lot of backtracking but it fits somehow, i didn´t mind it and thought it was cool.

it is a little Metroidvania like backtracking wise, but you have to follow clues which they give you (you can also buy tips from the shopkeeper which marks you the location on the map, but i would try to figure out the riddles on your own first, it is good fun)

Hmmm. I'm not really feeling this so far. I'm still in the early part, The Catacombs. It's pretty average.

trust me, it gets MUCH better, you are still in the "intro" of the game

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just on the third level, the bamboo forest, and I'm really enjoying this so far. The main thing is that the controls feel great, which is definitely needed in this type of game. The secondary thing is that the writing is very enjoyable. I genuinely laughed at the intro to the necromancer boss.

Nov 4, 2017
Hmmm. I'm not really feeling this so far. I'm still in the early part, The Catacombs. It's pretty average.
As a big OG Ninja Gaiden fan, it's similar but not quite the same. Some of the platforming starts getting much more interesting later on. I find the game to be much more fun also if I try and run through it all as fast as possible - feels more like NG. You get more moves later on that are fun to use. Some of the bosses are decently designed and fun, and possible to clear without getting hit when you get used to them.

Music kind of sucks though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

It's spotty, the big issue is you only have a handful of warp points so getting somewhere specific (ninja village) can be a pain. Other times it's hidden well by going through a different version of an old area or the easy ability to jump into any shop and get back to the warp nexus.

Tl;dr getting places is annoying, getting back is easy

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Man, ok, I see what folks have been saying about performance issues on Switch in some later sections. Cloud Ruins on the return visit has some nasty dips in some areas. Still playable, but VERY noticeable.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I am torn.

Hollow Knight or this game? I am only picking one for now

Hollow Knight...it is a masterpiece when it clicks with you and provides fun for 30-50 hours, depending how good you are and if you wanna go for a 107% clear. but beware, it is "being lost-the game" if you like finding the way on your own, exploring and a sense of feeling lost, there is no better game

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hollow Knight...it is a masterpiece when it clicks with you and provides fun for 30-50 hours, depending how good you are and if you wanna go for a 107% clear. but beware, it is "being lost-the game" if you like finding the way on your own, exploring and a sense of feeling lost, there is no better game
Thanks!
Performance wise, which is better on switch?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Okay, so something I saw which was amazing.

That music box that fell into the ocean in one of the fairy tales the shopkeeper tells you about randomly is seen in the background during the final room cutscene in the Sunken Shrine. I freakin love small details and touches like that in games.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Personally, I think this game blows away Hollow Knight. Just got to the big change and it's super cool.

The bosses in this game are really good.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the boss at the top of the temple and got to... "The Moment"... Even if I knew it was coming it's still so jaring and weird to see lol.

I'm really enjoying it so far but yeah so far I still think I enjoyed Shovel Knight better (well the base game... I really didn't like the 30min I've played of the plague expansion and I still have to play the second expansion).

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12 hours on the game and jesus, the controls are perfect. I'm really loving this game. One of my favorite games on 2018 without any doubt.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
12 hours on the game and jesus, the controls are perfect. I'm really loving this game. One of my favorite games on 2018 without any doubt.
I like them in general but I just wish the walls were less sticky... Sometime you're trying to do a smooth combo of movements and you just get stuck to a wall halfway through.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
What amazing game! The tight controls, Ost, sense of humour, and the twists that keeps the game going on..... just wow. One of the biggest (good) suprises of the year for me!

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Game is truly a fucking gem. So glad I picked it up.
Just got to
The Underworld
so I am assuming I still have quite a ways to go?
I am enjoying it way more than Hollow Knight myself. Truth be told that game never clicked with me. This game absolutely does. So damn good and I just have to reiterate in case people missed me sharing this the first time around, headphones really are fantastic in this game. You hear so much more of the detail sounds and they truly make a diference.

This is up there with GOW for me as far as how much I am enjoying playing it. And that is my GOTY so far so yeah.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
So I died and killed the demon in the underworld at the same time and now my file is corrupt. The software closed after it happened and when I boot back up I go into the boss area and he's not there and then I go and see the shopkeeper and the software closes. Very upset because I was loving the game but I don't want to replay the 6 hours I just put into it.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Just got to
The Underworld
I am enjoying it way more than Hollow Knight myself. Truth be told that game never clicked with me. This game absolutely does. So damn good and I just have to reiterate in case people missed me sharing this the first time around, headphones really are fantastic in this game. You hear so much more of the detail sounds and they truly make a diference.

This is up there with GOW for me as far as how much I am enjoying playing it. And that is my GOTY so far so yeah.
You're not even halfway done with the game. Stick with it :)

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So glad this game turned out to be as good as I hoped it would be. I just got to the 16-bit switch and fought the first boss after that.

One thing, though. I hear a lot of people saying that the music during the 16-bit timeline sounds like SNES, but to my ears it clearly seems to be emulating the sound of Genesis/Megadrive. Those tinny base notes are a dead giveaway and not something you'd hear coming from an SNES.

Jul 20, 2018
Just got to
The Underworld

I'm at the same point as you and I too am really loving it. It's competing with GoW for my #3 spot, and it just might take it just because there's less that I dislike about it.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is funny. And I don't usually like meta humour, but the closet and hat gags surprised me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
So I died and killed the demon in the underworld at the same time and now my file is corrupt. The software closed after it happened and when I boot back up I go into the boss area and he's not there and then I go and see the shopkeeper and the software closes. Very upset because I was loving the game but I don't want to replay the 6 hours I just put into it.
I think the same thing happened to me.

Fuuuck.

It was right after the sky world boss. Now when I go to boss area it is just empty.

This is shitty.

I also don't want to start over. I am praying a patch can somehow fix it...

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually really like the story and the twists it takes. I like the last scene as well. All in all I think the writing is quite clever. The three special shopkeeper interactions are worth seeking out IMO.

kilg0re

Oct 25, 2017
The first half of the game was great. Ever since
the backtracking section
the game has been a slog though. Seems like it could be two separate games.

I had my hopes up that I'd like the second half despite the criticism it has received, but nope.
Critics calling the second half a Metroidvania are doing a disservice to the genre since the exploration is so bland.

The parts focused on action-platforming have been the most enjoyable for me.
The dragon section
is a highlight. The writing is clever without being over the top yet, hopefully it sticks that way. To be honest, I don't know if I'll finish at the current pace the game has with all the backtracking. That's a shame.

They should allow custom control mapping. Having so many things mapped to face buttons kills some flow when it comes to platforming. I eventually got used to it, but it felt like it took way too long to get there.

Last edited:

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Any tips for the
tower of time boss

I get that you can
jump on the hands to avoid some of the orbs but when they clap I always end up too far away to jump and dart to the hands.
any and all tips are welcome!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The first half of the game was great. Ever since
the backtracking section
the game has been a slog though. Seems like it could be two separate games.

I had my hopes up that I'd like the second half despite the criticism it has received, but nope.
Critics calling the second half a Metroidvania are doing a disservice to the genre since the exploration is so bland.

The parts focused on action-platforming have been the most enjoyable for me.
The dragon section
is a highlight. The writing is clever without being over the top yet, hopefully it sticks that way. To be honest, I don't know if I'll finish at the current pace the game has with all the backtracking. That's a shame.

They should allow custom control mapping. Having so many things mapped to face buttons kills some flow when it comes to platforming. I eventually got used to it, but it felt like it took way too long to get there.

i found this section highly enjoyable and thought it symbolizes a sort of evolution, from 8bit to 16bit to this genre with 8/16bit mixed...i mean, that is the special of this game, it evolves into something bigger...and it gets more challenging as it transforms.

as a linear game they could have never make it as long as it is, that would have been also boring.

imo the only thing this game needed was more enemy variety and a little more challenging start, the rest is awesome

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
The pacing during the metroidvania half is just bad. Too much backtracking, not nearly enough new content. It just feels empty. Busywork.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for the
tower of time boss

I get that you can
jump on the hands to avoid some of the orbs but when they clap I always end up too far away to jump and dart to the hands.
any and all tips are welcome!
when he claps you can actually land back on top of hands and get back to beating him, so you just mash jump+attack non stop. its a very easy boss

beat the game, hated the exploration part and backtracking. not enough teleports, if i could teleport to any save point that would make it less annoying.
didnt like that i could tank and bruteforce some of the platforming sections. i'd prefer more frequent savepoints but harder platforming

great game overall, shopkeeper is the best npc of 2018

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
when he claps you can actually land back on top of hands and get back to beating him, so you just mash jump+attack non stop. its a very easy boss

beat the game, hated the exploration part and backtracking. not enough teleports, if i could teleport to any save point that would make it less annoying.
didnt like that i could tank and bruteforce some of the platforming sections. i'd prefer more frequent savepoints but harder platforming

great game overall, shopkeeper is the best npc of 2018
not sure I understand. I get pushed to the side by the hands. How do I get on them then?

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
It's true that the backtracking could be improvable, but if you learn to use the skills on many situations, you can make the traversal quick.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
So glad this game turned out to be as good as I hoped it would be. I just got to the 16-bit switch and fought the first boss after that.

One thing, though. I hear a lot of people saying that the music during the 16-bit timeline sounds like SNES, but to my ears it clearly seems to be emulating the sound of Genesis/Megadrive. Those tinny base notes are a dead giveaway and not something you'd hear coming from an SNES.
Absolutely Genesis style instead of SNES. I could hear something close if not identical from SEGA back in the day.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
completely missed that this was out, just saw it yesterday and was shocked to realize it had been released already!

I was incredibly excited when I first saw the game, glad to see the hype was warranted, based on the reviews

already downloaded it this morning

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, that plot reveal before the
switch to a Metroidvania structure
was really cool. The game's story is told in a pretty tongue-in-cheek manner, but it's definitely cool and interesting enough to add some satisfying context to the adventure.