Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
I'll only watch if Darth Lacus becomes canon.
Too bad, looks like they're doing space princess again, if this new image is any indication:

art210528_gundamseed_5-1920x1080.jpg

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
fukuda saved gundam, amazing that strike/freedom was the main gundam in 4 diffrent shows seed/ destiny and build fighter. snd then reimgined in cross ange.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The art style of SEED is so early/mid 2000s it hurts. Like I can't think of another anime that encapsulates that era so well.

Everyone looks like a fish.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i never finished destiny, but i forgot a lot of seed i guess i have to rewatch again, i think its on crunchyroll

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The art style of SEED is so early/mid 2000s it hurts. Like I can't think of another anime that encapsulates that era so well.

Everyone looks like a fish.
It was basically that studios style.

See S-Cry-ed
A842-3357290842.1490584330.jpg

They didn't even bother changing the outfits...

It doesn't bother me after 20 years getting used to it, but i still remember the visceral reaction i had to it when both this and the next year, seed premiered.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Fafnir went a step further since they literally just used the same characters designs wholesale. Half those characters don't even have different hair colors or styles.

Listening to all of the OP songs right now... I can't remember my first kiss, but after putting karaoke subtitles for half of these, they are forever burnt into a corner of my brain i completely forgot about.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017

See S-Cry-ed

It doesn't bother me after 20 years getting used to it, but i still remember the visceral reaction i had to it when both this and the next year, seed premiered.
Not the studio, the character designer. He done works for other studio too and the result is expected.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018

See S-Cry-ed

Not so much "that studio" as it is a particular character designer named Hisashi Hirai who has worked on a bunch of mecha anime for several different studios. Fafnir for example was made by Xebec originally, not Sunrise. He also did character designs for at least two other studios on various other mecha anime. He also does animation work.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Two different girls. The girl who used him for sex wound up getting killed and turning into a space ghost. His best friend's fiancee survived and gave him the biggest fuck off robot at the end.

Also this is the same series that redrew a scene from the last episode because they wanted to reuse a good guy as a bad guy as a surprise they next season.......
Sai was engaged with Flay and was Kiras good friend at Heliopolis so it works for both girls, really. Kira just kept up the pattern with Lacus.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Not the studio, the character designer. He done works for other studio too and the result is expected.
Not so much "that studio" as it is a particular character designer named Hisashi Hirai who has worked on a bunch of mecha anime for several different studios. Fafnir for example was made by Xebec originally, not Sunrise. He also did character designs for at least two other studios on various other mecha anime. He also does animation work.
Ahh, i stand corrected, though no less in awe that no one told him to maybe differentiate them at least a little between series he worked on.

Sai was engaged with Flay and was Kiras good friend at Heliopolis so it works for both girls, really. Kira just kept up the pattern with Lacus.

Oh you're right. It's been long enough I completely forgot about Sai and Fllay's relationship.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Yeah the art doesn't make me hopeful.
Aw man, they're recycling the old strike packs.
Keep in mind that this art is for the spin-off manga set between SEED and Destiny. No art has been revealed for the sequel movie yet.

The manga seems to have returning creators from the old Astray manga. The designer of that mech previous did the Astray designs, at least. So consider it more a relative of Astray than the SEED tv series.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
If i have to watch destiny to understand this then thats a dealbreaker

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh Gundam Seed. First ED song was a banger as was that insert song that played with the fall of Orb. Destiny redeemed only by having a follow up insert song play and it was this amazing B side sounding follow up track. Also dub Rau sounding so perfectly insane was just <3. Good times. Hopefully this lives up to the highs of what came before it.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember anything about this series apart from a scene of the hero gundam jizzing 360 degrees in space.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Man, this was so long ago.

The OP's and ED's were banger, the music generally was quite good.
The most stupid thing were the anglicized character names. I shudder just thinking about "Athrun" and "Lacus"

Destiny nearly killed the franchise until they got Jesus Kira back as the MC

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Seed is amazing, so this is good news. If the soundtrack is half as good Destiny's then it will be worth.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Gundam Seed is the series that made me check out Gundam as a whole. It's still one of the better series out of the whole franchise really.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP should really clarify that the poster they used is for the new manga set between SEED and DESTINY and isn't related to the movie.

Eclipse Gundam looking sick, though. Gonna be getting myself the P-Bandai expansion for it.

pbPackBanner.jpg

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I liked Gundam Seed (and I remember liking the drama in Seed: Destiny at the time) but I feel like this is a bit...late?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Gundam Seed (and I remember liking the drama in Seed: Destiny at the time) but I feel like this is a bit...late?
Because the writer was battling cancer at the time and later passed away. I think Sunrise basically left the decision to continue on her husband who also involved in directing the series.

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Hisashi Hirai is a notoriously bad character designer.
I think he is actually a pretty great character designer. In the right anime, at least.

His designs work really well in shows like s-CRY-ed or Majestic Prince that tend to have varied, colorful characters with exaggerated expressions and a less serious tone. Some of his designs are really great and memorable, and they at least lead to characters that are varied and recognizable within any given show.

I think a lot of criticisms levied at his designs are probably more rooted in directors and producers hiring him specifically to make a show look like Gundam SEED, due to its popularity.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Agreed. So I did the thing.
Thank you

Because the writer was battling cancer at the time and later passed away. I think Sunrise basically left the decision to continue on her husband who also involved in directing the series.
Plus sunrise has the issue of producing sequel anime far past when they should I mean the 00 Sequel anime project won't be coming out till atleast 2028 according to the director and we are just getting Hathaway's flash Adapted which to be honest really should have come out 20 to 30 years ago

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you

Plus sunrise has the issue of producing sequel anime far past when they should I mean the 00 Sequel anime project won't be coming out till atleast 2028 according to the director and we are just getting Hathaway's flash Adapted which to be honest really should have come out 20 to 30 years ago

Gundam 00 is getting a sequel? Fucking how? The movie's ending left no room for one...

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Gundam 00 is getting a sequel? Fucking how? The movie's ending left no room for one...
Yeah it is it's going to be following the new celestial being of a half innovator els graham ahker who survived blowing up because of the els piloting exia r4 and a feria type innovate piloting dynemas r3. It was announced after the sequel play going over some of the events of the upcoming project a few years ago for the 00 anniversary (some people confuse this as the project it is not it actually announce the project after the play) and we just got a timeframe of when it is coming out this past year. People believe it's going to cover the human v innovator war told in the movies ending

Did anyone watch the redub of Seed? Was it any good?

I haven't yet mostly because I am waiting on my replacement disc, but it has some quality VA in it so it probably is relatively okay

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
SEED is my favorite Gundam to this day, and honestly even Destiny was entertaining to me, flaws and all. It was a bit of a trainwreck by the end, but at least it was an entertaining one, which is good enough for me. Shinn was robbed though, and I stand by that he's a sympathetic character and I liked him a lot. Also, Athrun/Cagalli is a horrible ship and I hope that they do NOT try to repair it in the movie.

I still can't believe the movie is really, truly happening. It's the only exciting anime news I've seen since Fafner The Beyond got announced and has been slowly airing.

Really interested to see what the game associated with this SEED project is going to be. I'd love a comprehensive game retelling of the show with immersive Mobile Suit battles, maybe with some SRW-style extras to save some characters or something as a bonus or NG+ thing.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny nearly killed the franchise until they got Jesus Kira back as the MC
I just finished rewatching Destiny (HQ edition!) and you know what? I don't hate Shinn as much anymore.
Guy has tons of emotional scars, and really, it's Rey (and therefore Dullandal) that manipulate him at every turn. Every time Shinn goes to do something completely asshat, Rey was there the scene before whispering like a snake in his ear.

Another character that somehow magically avoided a lot of flack is Lunamaria. She KNOWS everything and yet she always stops her brain from working and follows order.
Chairman's Lacus is fake and he tried to have the real one assassinated? Sleep
Bullshit story about her sister being a terrorist so she was politically assassinated along with Athrun? Sleep
The Messiah we were told to destroy at all cost is now going to shoot at Earth for my side killing millions/billions? Better defend it now, because orders

Thanksgiving dinner is going to be interesting at the Hawke family with Shinn, Athrun, Lunamaria and Meyrin to say the least...

Athrun/Cagalli is a horrible ship and I hope that they do NOT try to repair it in the movie.
If they undo Athrun x Meyrin, there will be blood!