• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, shit didn't realize this was gonna be on HBO max.

looks good. Is this intended to be a new trilogy, or a standalone?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced you can pretty much show off anything with this song and it will seem awesome.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Only thing I don't like in the trailer is the weird shutter angle (?) on some of the slow-motion shots. Gives it that smooth "Michael Mann style" that doesn't look very cinematic IMO.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Cinematography is not doing it for me. The whole look seems off, like that 120fps Will Smith movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Just my two cents, that was bad.

* The Jefferson Airplane song is so overdone for this kind of vibe that it's just cheesy. Very outdated choice.

* The idea of spending a chunk of the movie with Neo rediscovering that he's Neo and going through the same steps he went through as the first movie is unappealing to me. We've been there already, just seems like a safe and uninteresting dramatic decision.

* On that note, 90% of the imagery, vibe, storyline (at least as presented) is just a rehash of what we saw in the original movie. Reminds me of stuff like Force Awakens or Terminator where the producers clearly said, "OK, we're going back to this after a long time, the fans and audiences liked the original, so let's spin up something similar and they'll surely like that too, right?" If we're coming back after all this time, give me something new, show me something unique.

* The original movie came out more than twenty years ago, and there have been so many crazy advancements in anime, comics, video games since that time; hell, some of the crazy new ideas out there are inspired by The Matrix! So if you're coming back to this after all these years, you're not going to one-up all the wild stuff that's been out there? We're still simply stopping bullets and jumping out of windows? We had that type of action aplenty in the old movies. Still just the same old Agents in suits changing faces? I know the Wachowskis are plugged into anime and games, etc.; there wasn't any cool stuff that she could have been inspired by? Nothing new that would change the way we think about science-fiction, like the original did?

* Photography felt dull and lifeless to me.

Obviously the actual movie could have all kinds of stuff that would make me happy. But this teaser, which is supposed to get me excited, just makes me feel deflated.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
844526.gif

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking all in on this. Probably going to re-sub to HBO Max soon and give the entire trilogy a rewatch.

StickofRock

Oct 28, 2017
Madness.

Seems to be a bit at the start showing the machines repairing his revolutions body.

There's a moment where they shoot through a cinema screen that is showing the original matrix film ????

Also, getting a lot of monsters inc vibes from this.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
hmmmm i don't know...
The trailer went for a very very different vibe it looks really dull.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really just that those in charge chose not to include Laurence Fishburne? Then what it appears they did leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit,ok I guess?

Last edited:

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
What it actually feels like is that the balance between practical and digital sets is way off compared to the original films.

This feels like it was shot 95% in front of a green screen and some of the effects (like that explosion) look wonky. Half expect to see Lavagirl show up.

Considering stuff like Jupiter Ascending, it feels like the Matrix through the lens of their more current output, not that the quality will be the same.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Maybe they pull off a Mulholland Drive, where some stuff is intentionally bad, and later when Neo recovers his memory, it turns good. But that's just me being too optimistic.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Will definitely watch Day 1 (streaming).

Also, I think there's an in-universe explanation for the color-grading differences, plus colorful palettes currently appeal to the HDR/Wide Color Gamut crowds of today so a lot of movie production and cinematography is geared towards that now.

Should look fantastic in a Dolby Cinema and at home with a Dolby Vision/HDR10 display.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Stopped reading here. It's like I'm back in 2003 and people complaining about the movies not doing the most obvious twist in the history of cinema.

Reloaded's skewering of the "the one" trope was way better than "its matrixes all the way down!", as was neither side winning in the end, but finding a third way towards peace. The execution was flawed, we can all agree, but on paper the Wachowskis had the right idea.

Lastly, just for old time's sake: the reason Neo can stop real world sentinels is ultimately the same reason humans can enter the Matrix in the first place: they're walking talking wi-fi transmitters. I never got why Neo frying sentinels riled people up so much, it's not exactly a big leap from people wirelessly transferring their minds from hovercrafts over great distances to wherever the main matrix simulation is run from. As a tool of the machines, Neo was naturally born with a special connection to the mainframe in his noggin.

I dunno - just listed my points below because i find it easier than trying to write linked paragraphs:-

a. having him sacrifice himself to save both sides seems like the most obvious trope in story-telling full stop e.g. see Jesus in the bible stories
b. It's not matrxies all the way down, you only need one more, yes it's pretty obvious but at least it would keep the in-world universe consistent with itself
c. I am still in 2003 and I still hate the film - i did say that at the start of my post :-)

TLDR - I care more about sci-fi universes being self-consistent (and avoiding magical mcguffins appearing in act 2 or 3 of a story to fix things) than I do about the "boviousness" of twists.

But Neo stopped the machine at the end of 2...

Was it!? maybe I only hated 3 then!? I've tried to blank them out of my mind for 18 years...

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I really dig the trailer! Color me hyped and very interested to see how it unfolds. I had zero interest in this before this week, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.