What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
After getting used to what this show is trying to with a clunky episode 1 and enjoying episodes 2 and 3 for what they are, this one was quite a step down again. A bit boring. Oh well, on to the next mini-adventure.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
So is the MC not an actual Mandolrian? The line about being taken in as a kid by them makes it seem so.

As stated in the first episode, he is/was a foundling. Most likely orphaned kids that Mandalorians find and adopt into the clan (wich raise fun conjectures with baby Yoda, as he appears to be an orphan that was more or less adopted by the Mando).

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We knew that from the first episode already though. The question is what the Great Purge is. It seems like the Empire killed a lot of Mandalorians in its last few years. Rebels took place 5 years before the Galactic Civil War and Mandalore was still fine by back then.
Yes, we need to know what happened to them post Rebels.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something, but why did they have to actually sink the AT-ST in the pond? The detonators should've worked just as well by putting on of them on the legs in the camp.

I get that it makes for a better story, but it's kind of stupid to make it a point that no weapons can destroy it, and then use detonators to destroy it once it was down.

It would've been nice with a throwaway line about how its armor has shielding or something that means it's impervious to external blasts, and needs to be toppled before destroying the inside (kind of how they explained the AT-At's in ESB).

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Did I miss something, but why did they have to actually sink the AT-ST in the pond? The detonators should've worked just as well by putting on of them on the legs in the camp.

I get that it makes for a better story, but it's kind of stupid to make it a point that no weapons can destroy it, and then use detonators to destroy it once it was down.

It would've been nice with a throwaway line about how its armor has shielding or something that means it's impervious to external blasts, and needs to be toppled before destroying the inside (kind of how they explained the AT-At's in ESB).
To immobilize it, maybe. Personally I would have tried to sabotage the AT-ST first when sneaking into their camp, but whatever.
Weakest episode for me.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
To immobilize it, maybe. Personally I would have tried to sabotage the AT-ST first when sneaking into their camp, but whatever.
Weakest episode for me.

Yeah, that's my thought. Could've just planted a detonator on one of its legs in the camp.

I'm not the kind of person that needs everything explained to not go "ZOMG PLOTHOLES", but it just comes off as stupid with them explicitly saying they can't destroy it, needing to topple it, when they show Mando having the tools to destroy it.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

The detonators don't have a lot effect on the armour of the AT-ST from the outside. They have to immobilize it first so that they can throw the detonator into the interioir of the AT-ST.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
The detonators don't have a lot effect on the armour of the AT-ST from the outside. They have to immobilize it first so that they can throw the detonator into the interioir of the AT-ST.

I have a strong feeling an AT-ST would not withstand a detonator on one of its legs.

Would've been better to just have them use the detonator in the camp, with Mando saying "this is the last one", with the last fight ending with the AT-ST toppling over, followed by them taking out any pilots surviving.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
damn good episode all-around once again. bryce dallas howard following in her dad's footsteps with that directing job. once again, very videogamey, even got 'detective mode' in there tracking the footprints lol. gina carano did her thing too. prob her best role yet.
I think I would've been just as happy if we got this as a video game instead of Jedi Fallen Order.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After getting used to what this show is trying to with a clunky episode 1 and enjoying episodes 2 and 3 for what they are, this one was quite a step down again. A bit boring. Oh well, on to the next mini-adventure.
the acting seemed really awful and especially awful casting of extras that looked so out of place (Dude with the stick and that awful cheap wig lol)

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
It's also interesting how an episode by Dallas Howard, a director with little experience (especially in action), would have the best shot and choreographed fight scene of the whole series (Mando vs Cara).

The last action scene was a bit badly lit though, but it came down to the design of the orc aliens. Too dark with litte to no silhouettes to differentiate between the humans and them.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome episode, very Seven Samurai feeling. I love how it all feels like the same show but every Director is bringing something new and doing something different.

I want a gif of that moment, it'l become my go to reaction gif about everything.

Here you go

aZyvE04.gif

Dec 31, 2017
Cuteness overload this episode
the acting seemed really awful and especially awful casting of extras that looked so out of place (Dude with the stick and that awful cheap wig lol)
One scene seemed ad libbed where the children were given a direction to react naturally to Baby Yoda. They all said : "It's soooooooooo cute". Not only did this scene feel out of place, I wish the Child's cuteness wasn't acknowledged in universe but rather was unspoken.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It is so crazy to me that an episode with an AT-ST stomping around could be considered boring, it was anything but in my opinion.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought today's episode was probably my least favourite but still decent.

I'm amazed the showrunners managed to stop Baby Yoda merch from being made to stop leaks. They must have looked at the footage and saw $

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
It is so crazy to me that an episode with an AT-ST stomping around could be considered boring, it was anything but in my opinion.
Anything is what you make of it. An AT-ST stomping around can be highly exciting or very boring. Just it being there doesn't say much. Also, after RotJ, it can be hard to take its threat seriously. The red windows were a nice touch though.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Writing was off in the episode. As someone else just pointed out above me, he went to a backwoods planet and then seemed to not care about actually hiding.

And near the end didn't make sense either. He admits they just did way too much to raise eyebrows yet he's ready to leave the kid there? It's too hot for either of them to stay but the one everyone is looking for should be fine... without protection?

The fact the tracking fobs still work out there too makes his decision making pretty questionable.

Also found the emphasis on the helmet stuff funny yet it shows him taking it off in full view of a bunch of children. They aren't looking toward the window in the shot but nothing's stopping them.

Gina Carano's acting came off poor in some lines too.

But overall the direction of the episode was pretty great. Imagery was cool, as it has been. Menacing red eyed AT-ST over the forest was rad.

Agree.

This episode had some cool moments but it mostly felt off to me. It felt very rushed/forced and a lot things didn't make much sense. This is my least favorite episode so far.

Last edited:

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
The weakest episode and a big departure from the writing we've had so far. The "training the villagers" trope is overdone, and the whole thing felt like a filler episode from Stargate SG-1. The dialogue was ham-fisted and boring, and the Mando just opening up to a random villager lady about his tragic backstory was wooden and emotionless. This hasn't ruined the series for me at all, but it's going to need to come back in a big way after this Zany Adventures of Mando and the Kid take.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
We knew that from the first episode already though. The question is what the Great Purge is. It seems like the Empire killed a lot of Mandalorians in its last few years. Rebels took place 5 years before the Galactic Civil War and Mandalore was still fine back then.

Well the Mando's rebelled against the Empire at that time in the show to try and force them out. Now in the Mandalorian they have no home. So imagine the Empire brought down the ban hammer on Mandalore after they decided to rebel. The last we saw of Mandalore the clans were declaring war on the Empire to free the planet essentially.... that musta not went over well

Seeing as they seem to keep resurrecting the old lore from the EU with this series, where the Empire occupied the planet and strip mined it of Beskar. Which goes with all the stolen Imperial stamped beskar we've seen.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that confuses me a bit is the whole helmet thing...

I don't recall Sabine ever mentioning it and in both Clone Wars and Rebels we see plenty of Mandalorians that take their helmets off in the presence of non-mandalorians.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Anything is what you make of it. An AT-ST stomping around can be highly exciting or very boring. Just it being there doesn't say much. Also, after RotJ, it can be hard to take its threat seriously. The red windows were a nice touch though.
I feel you, I guess I'm still reeling that such a thing is even possible, for a tv show to portay something at such a huge scale with effects that's usually reserved only for the big screen. I was thoroughly entertained, seven samurai plus an AT-ST made for a fun combo for me.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I thought it was pretty much as good as the first two. The last one was better but it also had the hook of being the one we all knew was coming where he was going to have to fuck everything, renege on the bounty and choose to kill a bunch of Stormtroopers to save the baby. It is hard to top that as it is the pivotal "hero" making moment so to speak. This reminded me a bit more of the second one maybe, he is stuck in the boonies, he is forced to take on a side quest and at the end of it he has to fight some giant thing. I would say the first one is probably the clunkiest so far but generally I have liked them all. Even the Seven Samurai trope didnt bother me as a major Kurosawa-head -see avatar- and I actually quite enjoyed some of the direct call outs like the spear training and some of the shoots overlooking the village.

Again, like the second episode and most of them come to think of it, I liked the further development of the post RotJ world and especially the Mando character. He was much more vulnerable and human in this one, he expressed verbally, for better or worse, more of his affection for the child and seemed in several scenes seriously tempted by the chance to stay in the village and make a new life with the mother.

Anyway, so far I think the show has been really consistent even if some of the episodes lean a little more into very slightly different tones.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The only thing that confuses me a bit is the whole helmet thing...

I don't recall Sabine ever mentioning it and in both Clone Wars and Rebels we see plenty of Mandalorians that take their helmets off in the presence of non-mandalorians.

Filoni and Favreua were involved in those shows and had no issue with helmets coming off on mandos in front of strangers. Likely new lore based on the post purge mandos and foundlings

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Mando's logic makes no sense in this episode, but otherwise I enjoyed it. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Gina's character.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Filoni and Favreua were involved in those shows and had no issue with helmets coming off on mandos in front of strangers. Likely new lore based on the post purge mandos and foundlings

It must be. Though regarding Sabine.

She still has no issue taking off her helmet after the end of the war which would have been after this purge event.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Well the Mando's rebelled against the Empire at that time in the show to try and force them out. Now in the Mandalorian they have no home. So imagine the Empire brought down the ban hammer on Mandalore after they decided to rebel. The last we saw of Mandalore the clans were declaring war on the Empire to free the planet essentially.... that musta not went over well

Seeing as they seem to keep resurrecting the old lore from the EU with this series, where the Empire occupied the planet and strip mined it of Beskar. Which goes with all the stolen Imperial stamped beskar we've seen.
Your theory seems very plausible. I hope they show Bo-Katan Kryze when we see a flashback to Mandalore or something. It would be even better if she is still alive.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That AT-ST was piloted by a Droid, right? Is there a connection with the red eyes seen on the Super Battle Droids in Chapter 3's flashback?

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
That was not a good episode. Hopefully next week it gets better.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love that the episode just came out and t-shirt sites already have this* but Disney put out its lazy crap shirts with just the concept art. 😆

XLDb16zl.png

*Would've been better without the text (at least the bottom part) though.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Adored this ep. This is honestly the stuff I want out of Star Wars TV. More slice-of-life within the galaxy type of stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
While I liked it, I felt the Mando talked too much and betrayed the economy of physical acting we saw in the past 3 eps. Sticking out was the constant "that is very kind" over and over again, the head nod would've sufficed. Same point that the moment with him setting the helmet down watching the kids play was far more effective in showing him settling in than any of the dialogue.

Loved the imagery of the AT-ST red eyes rising up and shining his spotlight. Live-action Loth-cat too.

One other thing is the tracker on the other hunter was a different color than the ones from the Guild that the Mando left. So I guess he sought refuge in another sector but even that one's bounty hunters are getting fobs for Yiddle.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We knew that from the first episode already though. The question is what the Great Purge is. It seems like the Empire killed a lot of Mandalorians in its last few years. Rebels took place 5 years before the Galactic Civil War and Mandalore was still fine back then.

Sure but as you should recall, Mandalore has a really shaky past. Even before the Clone Wars you had Satine trying to turn their culture into one of peace, which the Deathwatch - led by Pre Viszla - were aggressively opposed to. Then Satine and Pre Viszla were both killed by Maul, who basically took over the planet to get revenge on Obi-Wan.

Once Maul was removed from office by Palpatine, so to speak, the Republic occupied Mandalore to maintain order - and then the Republic became the Empire. It would be decades before anyone on Mandalore would rebel against the Empire thanks to Sabine, but evidently it didn't go so well for the Mandalorians if they're hiding out on Outer Rim worlds.

That's presumably what the Great Purge was.

We know the Empire struggled a lot with suppressing rebellions across the galaxy after they blew up Alderaan and lost the Death Star, but Mandalore is a priority target. That's a planet of warriors with a history of fighting and sometimes defeating Jedi. The Empire wouldn't risk them joining the Rebellion, so they presumably wiped them all out. Most of them, anyway.

The issue I imagine is that the Mandalorians fought for the Empire for most of its tenure. They're probably not very popular, y'know? So even though the Empire is gone, they still have a lot of enemies.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
Omg I'm in the middle of watching the new ep and i can't handle how fucking SMALL baby yoda is

it's like his cuteness was dialed up beyond human understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.