Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I gave the movie a watch today and I did so not knowing anything about it. It was set in the old West and Chris Pratt was in it so it might surprise. But the movie did anything but. It was about as hackneyed a plot as you could come up with. I feel as though I've seen the siege of a western town by its citizens against overwhelming odds a dozen times. It might have been new and fresh back in the 60s but I couldn't say.

I'm supposed to be invested in the liberation of this city because the brother of the only female character died. I knew squat about Emma and I don't even remember her brothers name. The rest of the towns citizens seemed like righteous douchebags. So I didn't buy into the movies premise which is never a good thing.

Maybe the real movie is about the titular seven gunmen! That'll be where I get hooked. Denzel, Star Lord, Kingpin, sexy Asian and Native American guys. Surely something's got to pop out of that lineup and onto some celluloid. There was nothing. The entire movie bereft of any compelling narrative. No complex or layered character arcs. The main cast hardly even has scenes together which is a shame because I think there was potential chemistry among them. Ethan Hawkes character had some kind of shell shock or ptsd but that goes nowhere. He overcomes it off screen though. Just in time for the climax.

And for a movie that's had no great story or characters the action had to be on point. But even this is a snoozer. They take the time to demonstrate guns have kickback in the training scenes, but this detail is abandoned in the action sequence. The booby trap Home Alone traps were fun, but fleeting. Nameless bad guy fodder run around on horseback without any real plan while they get picked off one by one by the heroes. Get off the damn horses. They do you no good in close quarters! And because this is a western siege plot, the bad guy has to have a Gatling gun. More forgettable stuntmen fall.

It was surprising to me that movies like this get green lit. Clearly this is to the credit of the director and producers who no doubt sell the movie as some Oscar bait tour de force. But even reading the sparse screenplay you'd see there's nothing really going on in this film. It's a remake without a soul or an identity. Maybe you don't need either when it's a remake.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Seven Samurai's better, anyway. It's not entirely a fair comparison because Kurosawa was an utter master of the craft, but still.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
At least you didnt watch Huntsman:Winters War today like I did.

The only positive things i can say about that film are that I like the queen's mask and that Hemsworth had some charming moments.

And...and thats it.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Eh, I liked it, but maybe it's because I haven't seen enough Westerns.

I found it both awesome and hilarious that in the end...
The black guy, the Mexican, and the Native American were the last ones standing.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Fun fact, there's a Hong Kong film called Seven Warriors, which is a homage to Seven Samurai.

Setting takes place during China's Warlord Era.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
im not a big fan of the original as well

Same. OP needs to watch the Seven Samurai.

The problem with the Magnificent Seven is that the whole Samurai aspect of the original does not translate well to Cowboys. The actual feudal structure of that society is inherent to the story, the Old West doesn't have that. Thus, the whole "I was a peasant too" aspect doesn't really work with Cowboys.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
It was a mediocre film. It wasn't terrible. It was missing some element that would elevate it to a great film, maybe even a classic. The industry's decision to remake these old classics is bothersome, but sometimes good can come of it. The remake of True Grit was pretty good.

There are some many great scripts out there, but the studios aren't willing to give them a chance. We got The Equalizer and The Equalizer 2, starring Denzel Washington. Both stupid films. Denzel is wasting what little time he has left on these mediocre movies.

If you want to watch a good western, watched The Sisters Brothers. I've heard great things about that film and it stars Joaquin Phoenix, John C. Reilly, Jake Gyllenhaal, And Riz Ahmed.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Would have been better with Adam Sandler playing Pratt's part and Rob Schneider playing the native tribesman.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Same. OP needs to watch the Seven Samurai.

The problem with the Magnificent Seven is that the whole Samurai aspect of the original does not translate well to Cowboys. The actual feudal structure of that society is inherent to the story, the Old West doesn't have that. Thus, the whole "I was a peasant too" aspect doesn't really work with Cowboys.
I saw what they were going for. The idea of a wandering cowboy deciding to band together to save a town has a similar sort of feeling. But with Seven Samurai, it was made clear that the strict class structure was a key component to the relationship between the town and the samurai.

Class prevented the samurai from being with the farmer, class is what made the farmers wary of the samurai in sometime manic ways, class is what drove the emotions of Kikuchiyo who grew up a farmer and wanted desperately to escape it.

The same structure just isn't there in MS. I never cared for it more than any other traditional western, and I feel like there's certainly many more westerns better than it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuqua was greenlit to make this not cuz he wanted an Oscar (lol) but cuz he can make popcorn movies that make a decent amount of money. It's alright for what it is. Nothing special but not terrible. Like most Fuqua movies Denzel carries it.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I started watching the remake, but became bored and turned it off. Also deleted it off of my DVR. I wasn't sure if it was just me (my depression sometimes makes it hard to enjoy things, or focus), or if it just wasn't that good. I was having a shitty day.

I haven't seen the original, but want to. I like classic movies and adore Seven Samurai.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
The original gutted most of the character development present in Seven Samurai which made it such a classic, the western ended up being a complete bastardization of the movie, you felt nothing when one of them died.

The only thing worthy of note with the original the song it is famous for

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
The fact that it had a representative from each race in the "7" was probably supposed to be more of a "hook" but it actually just came off like they were Street Fighter II caricatures without any real reason to be in the same situation together. Too bad, because that's not a bad idea.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It hit the worst sin, it was just boring. Which is pretty on note with the last few Fuqua flicks, some nice scenes in them, but overall the film is a snooze.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seven Samurai is incredible and still holds up today.

The original Magnificent Seven literally put me to sleep. It's nowhere near as good an adaptation as A Fist Full of Dollars is of Yojimbo.

Chris Pratt isn't indicative of a good movie. He's a good actor, but not a great one IMO.
I would argue he is thoroughly mediocre. Easily the worst Marvel Chris.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seven Samurai is an amazing movie. Though, as my GF can attest, some basic knowledge of Japanese culture and symbols is very helpful. The scene where he cuts off his top-knot, for example was very confusing and boring for her.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I just watched this tonight too but I enjoyed it. Pratt was the weakest link of the group I felt. Denzel was playing Denzel but he's great at that. And I liked the rest of the group. Villain was way too 1 dimensional and I expect better from Sarsgaard. The town folk were just there.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I can only echo the sentiments of the OP.

Seven Samurai is at least 2 times longer than any version attempted by western cinema, so of course the other movies don't live up to it and its premise, but even then I was surprised how little the new movie shows interest in its characters.

I feel I didn't even get a decent modern Wild West action movie out of this. It just all around dull.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this tonight too but I enjoyed it. Pratt was the weakest link of the group I felt. Denzel was playing Denzel but he's great at that. And I liked the rest of the group. Villain was way too 1 dimensional and I expect better from Sarsgaard. The town folk were just there.

Villain is like in 3 scenes. Intro, the one they let go telling him Denzel came, the finale. Can't expect anything from Sarsgaard for nearly zero time spent with him

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
Villain is like in 3 scenes. Intro, the one they let go telling him Denzel came, the finale. Can't expect anything from Sarsgaard for nearly zero time spent with him

I didn't occur to until your post but you're right. There really didn't even need to be a villain. He could have been some shadowy, faceless robber baron. Bogue wasn't the threat, not really. It was the amount of resources he had to bring down on upon the Seven. If we had never seen his face the movie wouldn't have lost anything. I think this was what audiences expected, especially the part where Denzel faces off with the bad guy on his own.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I gotta check out Seven Samurai again.

I haven't seen the movie in like ten years, but when I saw it I really, really didn't give a shit. Yojimbo was really cool though.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Seven Samurai's amazing and the original Magnificent Seven (1960) is pretty good too.

The actors do pop in 1960 Magnificent Seven (Brynner, McQueen, Bronson, Wallach, etc.), it's well-directed, and it has a classic Elmer Bernstein score.

I haven't seen the remake, but it always seemed like a dumb project to greenlight like when they remade Ben Hur.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love westerns and yeah, it was really bad. Seemed like everyone phoned it in, plot was shit, writing was shit.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It was boring and formulaic as hell. Would've been fine if the action or setpieces is good, but it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.