• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the biggest LotR fan, but honestly I do think it's interesting that they're going with something that (appears) to be so unconventional as what (I guess) is a stealth game based on Gollum. Like, I think inherently it's good to see them trying something new, though I guess I shouldn't say that until there's real gameplay.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The only point of this game for me is to show how movie Gollum's CGI aged incredibly well. Still looks cutting-edge.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
They had the rights for a LOTR game, and they chose to make a game about Gollum, I can't believe it. How? Why?

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Much more excited for the upcoming The Hobbit audiobook narrated by Andy Serkis...than I am by this.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I love Lord of the Rings, in all the different forms of media it's represented in, but the only reason I've ever liked Gollum is because of Andy Serkis and his incredible performance in Jacksons films.

I have zero love or care for the character in the books or other games, and I have zero desire to play a game as Gollum. There's just nothing of interest or care there. Especially when Middle Earth is ripe for so many fantastic game play and story telling experiences.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another one of those all CG Trailers with no gameplay, huh?

I shall just assume it is an Oddworld style game until we get gameplay footage then.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Of all the things they could be doing with the LotR license, they continue to insist on doing the weirdest ones

Give me my Skyrim clone for the love of god

There's some weird licensing stuff around the LOTR IP right? Between WB and the Tolkien estate? I can only imagine that's the reason they choose make games out of the weirdest things.

Like why else would you make two games about a non-canon character and then one about Gollum of all things, when there's so much lore there to be picked from?

It's either that or they don't want to "waste" any of the official lore on a game when they've got TV series and films to make.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I like the design. It's still clearly Gollum, but it's stylized enough to distinguish it from the movies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's some weird licensing stuff around the LOTR IP right? Between WB and the Tolkien estate? I can only imagine that's the reason they choose make games out of the weirdest things.

Like why else would you make two games about a non-canon character and then one about Gollum of all things, when there's so much lore there to be picked from?

It's either that or they don't want to "waste" any of the official lore on a game when they've got TV series and films to make.

Warner Bros has a license to adaptations of the films. They can only use characters from the films or ones they create.

This game is licensed off the books, similar to Lord of the Rings Online.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Please don't say the fish on his belt is his weapon

30d17e28248e85b6d04332380b8ccb59.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Era: Man, why are all games the same, why is nobody making interesting games anymore
Also Era: A game based around Gollum? But I want a game where I murder thousands or Orcs as the Elf or the Wizard!!!!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Gollum as a protagonist just doesn't excite me, it'll still be in the time period we've seen in multiple movies and games now, and I would have hoped that we could see more of the older eras in the setting. Like when Sauron was second fiddle to Melkor (Morgoth) in the War Of Wrath.

There's just so many routes they can take and it's a shame they stuck with a familiar one.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Out of all of these available fictional characters, going with Gollum is just weird man, wish them luck, they gonna need it.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big LotR fan and I can't come up with a good reason why this needed to exist.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
The most annoying character of the whole franchise and they went ahead and made a whole game based around him.

edit: lol

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Still not excited for this at all. The trailer was a very basic, short CG trailer that did nothing for me.

I can't think of a less interesting concept for a LotR game than one where you play as Gollum.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gollum is very gross and unlikeable lol. This is a weird one.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
As a huge Tolkien fan who's still playing modded BFME 2, I lost my faith in seeing a proper LotR RPG game in my lifetime. We had 2 mechanically great lore was terrible Mordor game and this? I understand that creating a Witcher 3 like experience is extremely rare but using both the movie and book licenses this terrible is something else.

We should've got this.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah I know the licensing is off.

I can't think of any reason they wouldn't have done the most obvious thing in the world ever with this IP when open world RPGs are super popular