• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
German video game developer Daedalic Entertainment unveiled its upcoming title, Lord of the Rings: Gollum, on Monday. The action adventure game will follow the years of the popular J.R.R. Tolkien character after he acquired the One Ring but before the events of The Lord of the Rings novels and films.

"You already have that big conflict in the character, two voices talking to you continuously, which means there is a good reason there are decisions to make in the game: the Smeagol decisions or the Gollum decision," Carsten Fichtelmann, CEO and co-founder of Daedalic Entertainment, tells The Hollywood Reporter.

"We have the story that we all know from the book, but everything that happens to him before he appears in the book are the main things we will see in our game," Fichtelmann says. "We will tell the story before he first appears in the books."

Daedalic partnered with Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish the new game, which is slated for release in 2021 on PC and "all relevant console platforms at that time."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...e=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

It'sssss mineeeee if old.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck. Action adventure? So Gollum is going to be a badass?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Woah. This is a great idea! Daedalic has done a lot of great adventure games in the past, so I'm totally on board with a Gollum game.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its seems bonkers to see a game release date set for 2021 then I remember we are a quarter of the way through 2019. Time is flying. This seems like a bananas game idea but hey why not.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

Nope. Real as can be. Daedalic had an event in their offices at the beginning of march showing their slate to journalists. Gollum was the big suprise anouncement there. They are shifting towards more gameplay heavy genres than adventures inhouse, because of markets shifting (people watching adventures on twitch for the story in stead of playing them).

Gollum is still very early days though. They had nothing to show on that event except a logo and some slides with what they are hoping to do. I wouldn't expect it before the end of 2020. (Edit: 2021 it is apparently)

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
But what kind of gameplay will it have? Wasn't Smeagol/Gollum just hiding out in the Misty Mountains until Bilbo and his band of dwarfs came along and stole his precious?

The only traditional action I can see is at the beginning where you strangle someone to death.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it appears all these Daedalic folks do is make games i need to ignore while searching for other games

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it'll be like Sonic and every time you're hit, you lose the ring and have to chase it down

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Daedalic make adventure games like Deponia? At least, that's the only one that I recognize. This seems different for them, but best of luck, could be very interesting.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Fichtelmann says Daedalic's goal with its Lord of the Rings projects is not to go "too deep into the uncanny valley" by making hyper-realistic games. "When it comes to shapes, colors, we definitely try to produce something that is a statement," he says.

Interesting. That should keep the budget in control. I hope they go for a painterly aesthetic.